Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 10:15 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Conflicting mods in Dashboard : how to make them cooperate ?
Hello,

Sometimes, custom content shows as refusing to cooperate with other custom content in Dashboard:

Please ignore the two last lines pertaining to Twallan's mods, as he stated himself this conflict to be non-consequential, and given the quality of his mods, I tend to trust him.

I would like to clear the conflict between the mods on the top, while keeping both resources.

Can someone please push me in the right direction, maybe even attempt to explain (in laymen terms) how I should proceed ?

Can I do this with TSR Workshop maybe, or S3PE ?

PS : Please forgive me if this question has been answered before. Google hasn't been as helpful as usual on this one ><

Thank you.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 10:20 PM
A conflict means that the two mods both replace the same resource. You can only use one copy of a resource at a time, so the game will pick one mod to use and ignore the other. Without knowing what "pack - test" is or which resources conflict, there's no way of knowing whether or not there's an easy fix available.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 10:30 PM
Ooh thank you for your quick reply and explanation, Whiterider.

The "pack - tuning" package is my personal collection of various tweaks, and fixes, I found on this site, and elsewhere, that I compressed with S3PE.

As I understand the information that Dashboard gives me in the screenshot, the two colliding mods are :
Sorry, I could have taken a better picture, I guess.

Is there a way to know what exactly the "resource" is (is it an id?), and how can I tell one of mods to replace another "resource" maybe, to avoid the conflict ?

Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
A conflict means that the two mods both replace the same resource. You can only use one copy of a resource at a time, so the game will pick one mod to use and ignore the other. Without knowing what "pack - test" is or which resources conflict, there's no way of knowing whether or not there's an easy fix available.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 10:44 PM
Okay,

I did a quick test with "Dashboard" against just these two mods in my "My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\packages" folder, with nothing else in it, and this time they show as non-conflicting.

I guess the source of my issue was my compilation, that I will just have to rebuild ><

Still, it has happened to me before that I had conflicting files, that weren't just duplicates (or Sims2 resources, or empty files, or corrupted files). I will try to provide an example later, if needed.

The obvious solution to such an issue would be to remove one of the conflicting resources, but IF the resources are distinct, and the issue is real, and I want to keep both, how should I proceed ?

Can I open them in TSR Workshop, and modify something, resaving them maybe? Or can I alter them in S3PE, so that they cooperate ?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 11:08 PM
Resource isn't the same as file. We know which two files were conflicting - but those files could contain tens, or hundreds of resources (or, equally likely, just one or two): and only one pair of resources within the files is conflicting. That's particularly likely to happen with big compilation files.

My suggestion would be to open both files in S3PE. Pick the one with the fewer resources, and copy down the Instances of all those resources (double-click them to get the Instance and other info). Then, use the filter boxes in the other S3PE window to find resources in the second file with Instances that match those in the first file - those are the conflicting resources.

That doesn't necessarily mean you can fix them, though. It's possible that, by random chance, two resources can end up being randomly assigned the same Instance - for example, the textures of two unrelated buy mode objects. In those cases, you can change the Instance of one texture (and the relevant references to it, depending on the type of object), and the resources will no longer conflict.

Far more likely, however, is that you have two mods which are both designed to replace one resource. Changing the Instance of either resource will stop that mod from working. For example, you might have granthes' height-adjustable curtain mod overriding the OBJD of an EA curtain, and also have HugeLunatic's curtains don't snap to walls mod overriding the same OBJD of the same EA curtain. You have to pick one. If you know what you're doing, you can compare both resources to the EA original, work out what each mod changes, then copy those changes from one mod to the other, combining the two mods; that process can range from mind-bogglingly simple, to so complex and convoluted you'd need to be a trained professional in C# programming, depending on the type of mod.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 11:30 PM
You're awesome.

Exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for.

Thank you again for your patience, and kindness in bearing with my curiosity.