Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 2:45 AM
Default Items in CAW are recolorable
About a month ago I accidently dropped a cast texture thing over a streetlamp. To my surprise the texture went on it and I had a streetlamp with a wood texture. Here is a very short video showing an example of this .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avCq...player_embedded

I hope this isn't already general CAW knowledge.
Advertisement
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 4:38 AM
I didn't know this, so this is definitely interesting news for me, and I bet it is to other CAWers too :D

I wonder if EA made that possible, or if it's just a glitch, and if it effects game play.
Instructor
#3 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 7:36 AM
Knowing EA, it is probably a glitch/bug. More testing would be necessary to ensure this won't cause more problems down the line.

- Ben
Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 10:17 PM
Very Cool.

Watch, this will be the only bug EA will decide to fix.
Instructor
#5 Old 14th Oct 2011 at 10:41 PM
If you think about it, there is no reason why this should not be the case. After all, converting a regular item to a CAW enabled item basicaly involves changing a switch in S3Pe. So why can't we take any old game item, and enable it for CAW? Back to the testing lab...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 12:08 AM
I playtested a world with casted caw for about 3 or 4 sim days. No problems were experienced while playing.

If you would like to do more testing here is the world that I playtested them in. This world has a few plant textures overides built into it. After you have been in this world I would recommend restarting your sims 3 game. I am sure that the plant texture overides are not causing the recolorable CAW items. I discovered this little cast thing while building in Seacrest; Seacrest has no special object textures.

download link for cast test world

http://www.mediafire.com/?fwvz81czga2b7gb

and a few pictures to show that I did test it

Quote: Originally posted by High Plains Gamer
If you think about it, there is no reason why this should not be the case. After all, converting a regular item to a CAW enabled item basicaly involves changing a switch in S3Pe. So why can't we take any old game item, and enable it for CAW? Back to the testing lab...

I also tested this . CC that is CAW enabled is able to be recolored .
Instructor
#7 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 12:19 AM
Nice find, Ouerbacker!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 10:44 AM
Nice find! I'll be trying this out!
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 6:50 PM
Sorry if I seem a bit underwhelmed but those items are recolourable anyway within The Sims 3 game so it stands to reason that they would be recolourable when using EIG from CAW.

I don't mean to burst any bubbles or anything but I do feel a tad underwhelmed. Maybe it's just me though?
Scholar
#10 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 4:02 AM
Dose this method apply to objects like the green iron arch bridge, or something like that?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 5:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Night Racer
Dose this method apply to objects like the green iron arch bridge, or something like that?

No, this method only applies to objects that are in both the CAW catolog and the ingame build buy menu such as streetlamps. CC that has been enabled in both will also work. This method goes for just about everything except plants. The only way to recolor that green bridge is to export the texture for it from the game , recolor it in something like gimp ,photoshop,or some over image thing , then import it into your world . I did that with the plants in the world about three or four post up.

Here is a link to a tutorial that shows how to do this.

http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-102.html

It is actually really easy. That tutorial just makes it all look little difficult.
Just so you know that bridge was included in ambitions.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#12 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 2:09 PM
Well this looked interesting but I have really no idea at all how to get the CASt interface up in the first place other than while on a lot. And while on a lot it doesn't let you select objects off a lot.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Veteran Finn
retired moderator
#13 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 4:38 PM
Not select, yes, but you can drag and drop the pattern to objects that are outside the lot. And in EIG it doesn't matter if the object you wish to cast is next to the lot or on another side of world, cause there are no camera restrictions.
#14 Old 16th Oct 2011 at 4:48 PM
Is this doable in Edit Town mode from within the game?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 1:43 PM
I don't think so Inge- I think you need to be in build/buy mode on a lot to do this.
#16 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 2:42 PM
I ran the game, went into Edit Town, then loaded an empty lot in build/buy mode. It didn't work from there, even though I had placed the world objects via Edit Town then World Editor. So is this *only* functional via CAW thru EIG?

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I ran the game, went into Edit Town, then loaded an empty lot in build/buy mode. It didn't work from there, even though I had placed the world objects via Edit Town then World Editor. So is this *only* functional via CAW thru EIG?

It might work if testingcheats is enable ingame. Other then that it is probably a CAW only thing.
Scholar
#18 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 10:06 PM
I have testingcheats enabled and am able to drag a pattern to an object off the lot when in build/buy modes. Had to have an object on the lot tho to get to CASt
Retired
retired moderator
#19 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 7:22 PM
Hmm. This is absolutely great news. On the other hand, I can't seem to get it to work. I have Testingcheats enabled. I'm in EIG. But when I try to colour anything I just get a red cross beside the cursor indicating that I can't. Latest build of CAW.

Edit: Bah. I see. It only works on base game/ep/sp objects, not the Barnacle Bay ones I've enabled to use in CAW. :/

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON