Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Oct 2011 at 6:06 PM Last edited by Cooconatshi : 15th Oct 2011 at 6:40 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Sims in Sims 3 are messed up looking !
Hey guys so I recently opened up my game to play, and I find that my sims
turned out so weird looking (at least when on normal to zoom in view) but
when zoomed out at a good distance, they look perfectly normal.
Heres some pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whynotcoconut/6246507593/
Normal looking sims, zoomed out view using tab cameraman mode
http://www.flickr.com/photos/whynotcoconut/6246507297/
WEIRD UGLY LOOKING SIMS, normal to close up view

My game ran perfect before this issue, and now I just noticed that I downloaded and installed the new update for mac osx lion 10.7.2 Could this be the problem?
Any ideas how I can solve this problem guys? please help me
I have just actually reinstalled sims 3 and I played one of the original households in
the game and its still giving me that ugly weird looking sim....
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 3:26 PM
Let me guess: You're either playing on a Macbook or Mac mini with the Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics chip, right? And your OS is 10.7.2 and your patch level 1.25?
If so, check here http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/444515.page. You're not alone.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 12:02 AM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 19th Oct 2011 at 6:54 AM. Reason: Pls use EDIT btn; don't Double-Post! Thanks.
OMG thank you so much for that link! I've been dyin to know what's going on And I'm glad that I'm not alone... but this must be solved ! A lot of unhappy Mac users including me, thank you once again! I hope to find the solution for this.

----
Hi guys,
I'm so glad to have found out about this thread,
I've been trying to see if I was the only one having this
weird pixelated and choppy looking sims... but here we are discussing
this. I really do believe that my sims went looking crazy after
installing that 10.7.2 update for lion... so disappointed.
I have already reinstalled for about 4 times already,
one just now hoping that the new patch (1.27) will solve the issue, but
it is still the same ugly looking sims
I'm losing hope. I used to love playing sims 3 and now i'm starting to
dislike it because of these bugs (love/hate relationship) lol

Here are my specs for my MBP:

MBP 13in. 2011
Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8Gb 1333 Mhz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB
Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Please, if anyone finds a solution to this, kindly update us!

P.S. I wouldn't recommend updating to 10.7.2 right now if you still want to
continue playing sims 3, or else you will get annoyed of the appearance of your sims.
It is unbearable. lol
In the Arena
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 6:58 AM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Integrated Graphics
    The reason for your issue is that your computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to play TS2/TS3.
    In particular, you don't actually have a graphics card - you have integrated graphics, which is just a chip on your motherboard. Most laptops come with integrated graphics, as do some desktops; and while salesmen often claim that integrated graphics chips are just as good as real graphics cards, they're not.

Integrated graphics chips are designed for people who just use their computers to read email, type up documents, and play minesweeper - they are not suitable for high stress games like TS2/TS3. At the very least, playing TS2/TS3 with integrated graphics will mean the game looks terrible; at the worst, you could permanently damage your computer.
    If you have integrated graphics, the other requirements - particularly minimum processor speed - go up to compensate. You can see the increases here, under "If you have a non-T&L capable video card...".

This FAQ contains tips on things you can do to improve your gameplay, and prolong the life of the integrated chip: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki
    This is MTS's recommended minimum system specs Be aware that, even if you follow all the tips in the above article, you will probably have to upgrade or replace your computer to alleviate all problems.

I'm sorry your game is not working.
But there's a reason onboard chips are not supported for Sims. And if you have issues with Sims' appearance, you'll be having graphical issues with Pets, too.

All systems with onboard chips threw in the towel sooner or later, we keep seeing failures with them since WA and it gets progressively worse as new add-ons are released.
OSX Lion is also not helping matters.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 12:44 AM
I hope a patch or something comes up for this, I've had so many troubles with TS3 and Lion lately..
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 10:20 AM
It's unlikely - Pets has increased the system requirements significantly, more even than previous patches and EPs, so eventually, weak systems are gonna stop working.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 7:20 AM
how is mbp's features weak tho? That's what Im puzzled about...
could someone please explain... ?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 12:10 PM
An MBP does not necessarily mean it is a superior machine. Not all MBPs are created equal. That's why Apple create different categories to fit different budgets and usage requirements.
Also, based on your post, because that particular MBP only has onboard graphics, not a proper graphics card. The link in my reply has all the info you'd need to know why this is bad.
Unless you have switchable graphics? Did you purchase this MBP with dual graphics options where you can switch?

EA's minimum System Requirements have always catered to the lowest common denominator, and only for base game. That same specs cannot be used when you add more EPs+SPs, you have to go over the minimum. If you don't exceed that minimum, you can't expect to be able to run it well...