Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 4:53 AM Last edited by Riptide651 : 14th Feb 2012 at 1:59 AM.
Micronation Challenge!
Ok, so this is a bit like a legacy challenge, but it focused more on actually creating an island nation, rather than making a generation legacy. Ok so heres the plan:

1. Download an tropical island-esque world, I suggest Coconut Island 2.0 or 3.0 by ProfPlumbob.

2. Clear all of the lots, even the community ones

3. Create 5 families (EDIT 11/8)
-1st family: A Male and Female, and 2 children (1 boy, 1 girl)
-2nd family: A Male and a Female
-3rd family: A Male and a Female and 1 child (gender doesn't matter)
- 4th family: any size, but traits must be survivalist - type
- 5th family: same as first, different people though haha

* When I say Male or Female, its referring to a YA

4. Create 5 (EDIT 11/28) Residential Lots: Each can contain: As many beds as needed (you can be the judge on that, but I'm not really sure a Sim needs two double beds), Any luxuries you want, as long as they do not involve electricity. You may also place a bathroom, but everything must be the cheapest thing possible.

5. Create 1 Community Lot, to be a farm. There should be 3 rows of plants in it, you can pick whichever you like, as long as its not any of the unique or rare plants like death plant, or the life fruit.

6. I suggest also clearing all of the empty lots, as in the lots don't exist any more, just to make it look like its never been inhabited before, plus when you're nation starts expanding, you will be able to place lots wherever you want.

7, Finally, choose One Family to be King and Queen of your land, this will be the family you control, the other 2 will be AI.

Ok so here are the rules:

- No money cheats allowed of any kind

- You may only gain money using harvest crops or some other medium or work which does not involve electricity, until you gain electricity. (ex. Painting is fine, writing is not... computer)

- you will gain electricity after 30 Sim day (You should have story progression on and aging set to normal), then you may upgrade to anything electronic, and have jobs which involve electronics like architect or author.

-After 40 Sim days, you may upgrade the stove, sinks, toilets, refrigerators, and showers due to the availability of a plumbing system.

- In order to make community lots, you must make sure your "Royal Family" is able to fund them. You may make community lots, but your family has to purchase them through real estate, of course over the long run, you will make a profit.

- After 2 generations, you will be able to do normal jobs, as by then your community will have exponentially grown in size.

- every 10 sim days after you gain a sewage system, you are allowed to create a new family and have them "move" to your nation. Keep in mind all homes need to be built to the family's budget. Also, as a hint, If you want your town to be a bit more upscale, once you gain electronic, make one person in your family and architect (if you have ambitions) It'll make the town a bit more high end.

Ok, so that about covers everything, so have fun with it and try to make your nation as large as possible. If you want throw in some pics of your progress.

- Riptide651

EDIT (11/7) : Raeyn had brought up that the architecture career will not activate until you reach a certain amount of people, or families in your town. In order to upgrade everything at once during the acquisition of sewage or electricity, you can either house the bathrooms and such in common places, and reserve the houses for sleeping only. Or, you can use testingcheatsenabled true and shift-click on the lot you want to edit, one of the options should be edit in buy. Think will subtract money from your account, which actually is its only purpose. Either way works as long as you improve the common spaces by buying real estate and improving them with your own funds.

EDIT: (11/7) : Also, in the case you feel you don't have necessary funds to do something, you are allowed to take a maximum of 10,000 simoleons a family per generation of royalty, using the family funds cheats and adding it to your account using the family funds once again.. DO NOT go over 10,000. Also, if you do happen to expand to over 50 families, you are now only allowed to tax 5,000 simoleons off of each family. I think thats pretty straightforward. Also, you are only allowed to use this in times of trouble or financial depression. This is a luxury, not a right.

EDIT (11/8) : if your island is getting too small for your likes, you can install another island and "pack" all of your families into boats and move to a different island. Your progress on the challenge will stay the same with the sewage and electricity, you can move the houses too if you want to.

EDIT (11/8): I suggest making the garden very large, if the lot is large, its a good idea to build some buildings too, which, linking with the common space idea, would include a common place and bathrooms and such, and when larger even a nectary or something, excessive rooms etc. you decide.

EDIT (2/13): I just remembered you can collect profits off of community lots, so after you have bought 5 community Lots, upgraded to level 2, you can stop working in the family and just collect profit off of the lots.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 3:01 AM
I'll give this a try.
it looks like it may be fun.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 3:23 AM
thnks, hope it works, its just a drafted down, idea, but honestly, i've been obsessing over, wel.., micronations for the past week so i figured this would be fun.

GTA V
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 2:12 AM
What is like no one gonna look at this thread?!?!?

GTA V
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 6:10 PM
Is it okay to create our own little islands? I think I've just about got the perfect one whipped up....
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 5:36 AM
Yeah, of course it is, just make sure its generally about the same size, i'm gonna go really loose with that because this is more of thing that can be an independent variable here.

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 10:08 AM
I'm gonna try this out, and just in case people have trouble finding the download, I have a link.

Accidental Murder
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 6th Nov 2011 at 6:41 PM
This definitly sounds like fun, i just started a diff challenge though so when i finished that one i am going to try this one!
Test Subject
#9 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 7:14 PM Last edited by Raeyn : 7th Nov 2011 at 7:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Riptide651
Yeah, of course it is, just make sure its generally about the same size, i'm gonna go really loose with that because this is more of thing that can be an independent variable here.

I've not checked Coconut Island, but I suspect I proooobably made it smaller. Here's a screencap of the mainly occupied island on week 20, day 7 (day 140 - time to add another family!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...reenshot-25.jpg

I had a few caveats that I applied myself, since I didn't use the recommended island. Firstly, the three founder families all got 30x30 lots; all subsequent families are on 15x15:

At the beginning
The first three houses

I couldn't find a way to purchase the school or the town hall, so I put them in place once electricity was available. By the same token, I think I avoided putting anything I could buy in place until after that point... or it might have even been after sewage. I also started with town locales that only gave part-time jobs besides the city hall and school; by the time I got to buying 'real' job locales, the third generation had been born.

I also let most of the families I made be rolled with pets, 'cause it adds flavour to the neighborhood.

Finally, the architect career did NOT want to work until I was well over 100 days in game, so I ended up popping into the other first two houses to slightly upgrade them; I use Awesomemod, so didn't lose any lifetime wishes or the like. It wasn't ideal, but I felt bad for them flaunting my power and sewage.

I think there might've been something else (in spite of the finally), but I guess that'll do for now. It is definitely a fun challenge though!

[[radio edit]] Downloaded the recommend island.... mine is deeefinitely smaller. It's mainly awesome-sized, barring the fact I don't have room for a stadium or the fancy horse stuff. :D
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 5:48 AM
@ViviSims2: Thanks for the link, sry I didnt put that there.

@Klevkin: thnks, hope you like it!

@Raeyn: Looks like its going great, i hadn't really anticipated it being so tightly packed on your island. Thats strange, about the architecture career, I'll have to look into that, thats probably because of the lack of residents at that point. Yeah, adding pets is ok, I just hadn't used the pets stuff because It hadn't been released yet. Yeah, if you need to upgrade the other two, It is best, in compliance with the rules to use testingcheats enabled true and shift click on the lot and edit lot in buy mode. so that will keep everything not free, haha.

GTA V
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 10:20 AM
And that's what I did - I wasn't going to let them get off cheap/free!

I think if I try this again (and I likely will some time in the future, though I'm still playing the heck out of it right now ), I'll roll a slightly bigger island and prep my slots earlier so it's a bit tidier. It does look nice, but routing is a nightmare, and despite the fact I thought the island was flat, it completely isn't.

I will say I was disappointed by how little breeding was going on with the first three houses, but I think I had botched a few things. I'd not made my garden lot a visitors allowed place, so nobody was having a middle place to meet on (whups). I also made it much too tiny for anyone to stand around and say hello on, so I'll have to keep that in mind and make it very slightly bigger. The garden also HAD to be fenced off, or else the wild animals would eat up the lot, and that just sucks. Once I started adding more families/some community lots, there was acceptable cross-pollination, and even some Sims having multiple pregnancies without me trying to convince them to lurve each other at parties.

All in all, I *am* happy with the whole small/compact lot concept; it makes it feel really micro. *grins* Plus, I'll be happy to hit the space cap soon, as my graph paper I'm using to track the days (150 days = week 22, day 3, par example) is gonna be half full soon. As I prefer to have it folded so it takes up less space.... :D
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:10 PM
Haha, what you can do, just a thought, if your island is getting too small for your likes, you can install another island and "pack" all of your families into boats and move to a different island. The progress you have made will still be he same. Just an idea, I'm being real lenient about it. The breeding seems just like to architecture problem, probably not enough people, I'll change the original families to 5.

GTA V
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:27 PM
It might have been the people, it might have been the lots, I don't know for sure. Once I was able to successfully do architecture jobs, I could do it on one of the three founders... but not the other. So I don't know what to tell you there. I will likely use the same families I've rolled (I didn't have a large stash before, preferring to do Pinstar-style legacies and starting with singles), since that saves my lazy butt the effort. I guess the population will be the tell once people try it with more founders.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Nov 2011 at 11:45 PM
Yah, but we wont know for sure yet, maybe it because of the map, and it being really small, but maybe not.

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 24th Nov 2011 at 4:02 PM Last edited by Klevkin : 24th Nov 2011 at 4:32 PM.
I'm working on this right now, but you edited with two extra familys, shouldn't it have 2 extra residential lots then as well??

Oh.......and the island you recommended, is there a way to delete all those buildings that are there for show??? or the lanterns for instance??? it would be wonderful if i could make it completely abandoned!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Nov 2011 at 3:36 AM
Yeah, so sorry about that lemme fix that....

You should be able to if they are on a lot, if not, then if you want go through the trouble of editing it in CAW, but since that is way to long of an explanation, I'm sure there is a thread on how to do it...

Specifically this one: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=416989

But the same applies for worlds made by others too, just pick the right map

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Nov 2011 at 1:32 PM
Thanks i'll tried the whole CAW thing haven't been able to get it to work yet but i'll check out the topic you posted!
Test Subject
#18 Old 2nd Dec 2011 at 8:52 PM
Nice Idea! :D
In the process of bulldozing all the lots! However, was wondering how pets tie into this? I personally gave one of my starter families a dog, and another a cat. Planning on gaining a horse at some week! Would really appreciate an edit!

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 5:23 AM
I will definitely tie pets into this at some point, its just I don't have it yet and I don't know how it will work with this, but I'm planning on getting it soon! I assure you! Right now just go wild... I guess bring like 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 any other animals, and breed them into like a stble supply of animals, and like 2 of each for the entire colony so, but I'm not gonna edit this into the rules, because I don't know how it will work out.

GTA V
Test Subject
#20 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 5:59 PM
Hmm? I shall try something along the lines! I originally let one family have a cat, and one a dog. I guess I shall bring certain pets in with other families as I go along the game! And maybe when we get electricity, I shall bring in all the random animals, I'll experiment and let you know how I have worked it out! ;D May post some updates as well in the forum if that's alright? :D
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Dec 2011 at 6:38 PM
Yeah of course! I'm eager to see how that'll end up working!

GTA V
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Dec 2011 at 8:31 PM
So hows it going with this?

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 12th Dec 2011 at 5:46 AM
I'm definitely planning on starting this, I haven't had any luck finding Coconut Island 2.0 though, and I only have WA and Ambitions. I may just substitute some other world. This is a fantastic idea for a challenge, though. I love the idea of building a world from the ground up.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Dec 2011 at 11:26 PM
This might work: http://www.sims3fanatics.com/sims-3...ld-lost-island/

but If you don't like mountainous lots then I'll find something else

Like this: http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-26.html

both are small islands

GTA V
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 13th Dec 2011 at 6:52 AM
Ooh, thank you! Downloading the second one now.
Page 1 of 2