Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 12:52 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets
"Unhandled page fault on write access"?
I have literally hundreds of problems with my games on my brand new Macbook, but the one that happens the most often is this:

Unhandled page fault on write access to 0x00000000 at address 0x7c471701.
Do you wish to debug it ?

I don't know what this is, but it either happens randomly then shuts my game down, or it happens when I open build/buy mode or the memories tab.

I happens so much and it's caused me to lose progress countless of times, and it's ridiculously frustrating.

Does anyone know what this is?
Advertisement
NĂ©e whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 10:48 AM
Moved to Mac Help.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#3 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 3:54 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Installing / Patching / Uninstalling
    1. Whether you are Installing for the first time or Reinstalling, be sure to read the Game Help:Installwiki FAQ.
      -
    2. This Game_Help:TS3_Uninstallwiki link has the step-by-step instructions to guide you through uninstalling The Sims 3,
      and its (EP/SP) packs. As well as removing any leftovers after uninstalling.
      -
    3. The Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki Guide provides information on:
      • Tips Before You Begin
      • Patching Common Errors
      • Manual Patch Downloads
      • Invalid File Errors and more

See
I think the only reliable solution is a full uninstall and clean reinstall with patching from retail to current in one shot.

Sometimes it is insufficient RAM memory issue. Which Mac do you have? And which OS X, Lion or Snow Leopard or Tiger?
Quote:
Post your system specs:
About This Mac (top left corner of your screen) > More Info, and then copy + paste what it says there in Hardware Overview and Graphics.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 7:32 PM
Every time I get an expansion, I have to re-install at least 3 times, and with zero exaggeration, I had to re-install the base game 27 times just so it would start.
My Mac is a nuisance.

& I believe it is Snow Leopard. I am this close to just getting a new computer. Because I have had countless problems with this game and I am not not going to play Sims because my $3600 computer can't handle it's simple graphics.

This my system's info.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Hardware UUID: 90E72BB6-D29F-572B-944B-4F63EC0D06DA
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 12:57
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 7:38 PM
Also, every since this started happening, my Sims can't "Ask To Pose" or take photos, because they freeze.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 7:58 PM
I don't think that the Intel Integrated Graphics chip is enough for this game, especially as the VRAM it uses is subtracted from you actual RAM. You have 4 GB RAM, which means that the Intel chip will use at least 384 MB of these for graphics, leaving you with roughly 3.5 for everything else.
And the Sims is certainly not simple, graphics-wise. Every object can be moved around and has a custom pattern and colour, the light sources are also not standardised and are customisable. There's almost nothing in this game the engine can rely on as being stable apart from the ground being on the bottom. I don't think that this is an easy game. It taxes your hardware quite a lot.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 2:45 AM Last edited by simsample : 21st Oct 2011 at 3:57 AM. Reason: Merged posts, hid error in infobutton
So what do you think I should do? Get a new graphics card?

I just bought this damn thing, now I have to upgrade it already.. sigh.

And now my game is just completely shutting down randomly for no reason...

And this is what it says. Hopefully someone understands this mumbo-jumbo.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 4:28 AM
Did you buy this MacBookPro just to play Sims?

You do have switchable discrete graphics, from these lines:
Quote:
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, PCIe, 256 MB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics, Built-In, 288 MB
So, ensure you switch to the Nvidia GT 330M before you play Sims.

But your system is not using 64-bit kernel, so the 4GB RAM is kinda wasted, from this line:
Quote:
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No

I don't know how to read that error log. That could be due to a faulty Sims install or a system issue. So perhaps you should contact Apple Support. And while you're at it, you can ask them about how to switch graphic cards and change the kernel to 64-bit, because I don't know how. I've never had an MBP. But my friend, Google found the HowTos for me:
According to this article and the Apple Support Articles, your system is
Quote:
MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.53 15" Mid-2010 MacBookPro6,2
and
Quote:
can support the 64-bit kernel, but do not use it by default.
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2008 through Mid 2010)
with Bold emphasis mine to highlight the terms.

In all the reinstalls you did, did you update via Launcher or use the manual patches? Game Help:TS3 Patching:Patch_Download/CurrentOSXwiki
And lots of uninstalls and reinstalls is a common thing in Sims, most of us are resigned to it by now. Sad isn't it? That we settle for things like a full reinstall, because sometimes there's no escaping it, as that is the only resolution that is proven to work.

ps: oh! and don't double-post (or triple-post)! Use EDIT button.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:07 AM
Well, get this now:

I looked at those how-to guides on switching video cards, and my computer isn't giving me the option to choose my graphics cards.

Or should I be switching to 32 bit kernel, even though I thought that 64 bit was better?

I apologize for dragging this on so long, I'm just desperate for help. :'c
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:13 AM
You don't have the Hardware vs Battery options? Eek!
But your error log shows the card name.

Than yes, perhaps it is time to call Apple Support, if it is still under warranty. That is out of the scope of our capabilities to help from here. If the MBP is not even recognizing the existence of the GT 330M in System Pref, then that is a concern.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:43 AM
I do have an apple care plan that I paid quite a bit for, I suppose it's time to use it. Thank you so much for your help though!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#12 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 9:33 AM Last edited by babele44 : 21st Oct 2011 at 11:03 AM.
This MBP does switch graphics chips automatically, but you should be able to turn automatic switching off, thus forcing the Computer to use the stronger card
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4110?viewlocale=en_US

I don't know anything about this 32-bit business but I've always had the impression that The Sims for Mac does use more than 2 GB RAM if needed. I used to play on a late 2008 MBP with 4GB RAM and never had any memory issues to speak of. I did get similar messages error messages like these, but only during the early months of the game's release, but never since then. In in all those almost two years I must have crashed only about a dozen times. Game-locking freezes, yes, but crashes very rarely. I'm actually crashing more under Windows than I ever had under MacOS.

Last night I read threads in the Mac forums of the official TS3 site, and these error messages seem to have increased for many Mac users. One of them owns the biggest iMac you can currently have with 2GB VRAM alone and 12GB actual RAM with an i7 Intel CPU. This suggests at least that it may not be the hardware causing it.

Edit: Sorry for hijacking this, but I'm currently over-curious as regards this. I googled the error message "Unhandled page fault on write access" and most of the hits relate to Mac games or Wine. So, this error message is Unix-based, I assume, and specifically related to Wine or Cider (found this http://wiki.jswindle.com/index.php/..._Trace_Examples, maybe you MTS gods can make something out of it).
Now two things:
(1)Some Wine users were able to track back some of these errors because they had run Wine as root and not as users. Could this mean that maybe switching to a user account instead of running the Sims from an admin account does the same?
(2)These error messages seem to have increased during the last months, which could coincide with people having newer Macs. Now according to Apple http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3770 with 10.6 onwards newer Macs now use the 64-bit kernel by default. Maybe this conflicts with The Sims or Cider because they're still using the 32-bit kernel http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2937?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 9:20 PM
I did what you said and turned the automatic graphic switching off, turned all the game's graphics down and it hasn't crashed since, but now it freezes probably every 15 seconds for about 30 seconds. I'm guessing I'm just going to have to live with it until I get a 580M GForce card.

Thanks for your help though! I was desperate and scared to ask MATY ;~;

BUT if anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears and up to try anything.

No person knows true fury until your computer crashes every 30 seconds.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 7:45 AM Last edited by ohayitstiffanay : 23rd Oct 2011 at 6:08 AM.
PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO TO SEE WHAT MY COMPUTER DOES WHEN IT GLITCHES.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuj0sSYHh0