Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:39 PM
Default Unkown Error Occurred
Hello,

I have been trying to re-install The Sims 3 base game. I have a new iMac with Lion and I had the Sims 3 installed on it and played it. I decided to uninstall it because when I tried to install the latest Pets patch, it would give me an error. I searched online and people were saying to reinstall everything. So I did that, now the base game is giving me that error, Unknown Error Occurred.

I searched for the solution from The Sims 3 website they were saying to do this:
1. Open Macintosh HD
2. Open the Users folder
3. Open your home folder (it'll be named whatever your username is)
4. Open the Library folder
5. Open Preferences
6. Once in that Preferences folder you will want to move "The Sims 3 Preferences" as well as any "com.transgaming" and "ipatcher" files you find to the trash.
7. Empty your trash

But my computer doesn't have a library folder in my home folder. When I go to Users/*Username*/ there is no library folder.

Please let me know what to do. Thanks a lot for your time.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 5:10 PM
If the game is freshly installed and has not be run successfully at least once, those folders/files won't be there.

What iMac model? What Lion version? What graphics card?
Quote:
Post your system specs:
About This Mac (top left corner of your screen) > More Info, and then copy + paste what it says there in Hardware Overview and Graphics.

Is this unknown error the one with "Exception Raised"?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 7:08 PM
iMac 21.5 inch, mid 2011
Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

The prompt box says nothing else except "The Sims 3 Unknown Error Occurred".

Thanks for your response. I have installed and played with the game on this system before but now that I reinstalled it, it's giving me that error.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#4 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 8:10 PM
It's impossible for you to not have a Library folder at the base of your user home folder, because it contains everything relating to you as a user - your Mails, your Safari bookmarks, all stored passwords, all settings for all programmes you use.
Wait, oh yes, I completely forgot, in order to make your Library folder visible under Lion you will have to make sure you are in Finder. Click on Go in the menu bar. When the dropdown box appears press alt on your keyboard. The Library folder will now appear. Click on Library then open the Preference folder.
I don't know anything about iPatcher but all Sims, Cider and Transgaming files will have to go and just to be sure also delete all files bearing these names from the Caches folder in your Library, before you reinstall.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 9:37 PM Last edited by NTD2011 : 21st Oct 2011 at 1:56 AM.
Thanks a lot, babele44! I deleted anything that said sims3. This helps not only for sims 3 but just general knowledge for Lion!

After I deleted it, the launcher opened and it is now downloading a patch. I'll edit this post if everything else it successful!

Edited to add: Yes! This worked! Thanks a lot!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 5:08 AM
Another thread I can close!

Happy Simming!
Locked thread | Locked by: ellacharm3d Reason: resolved-cleared Lion caches