Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2011 at 11:39 PM
Default Patching problem--SHA1 Error
I'm having a weird problem when I'm trying to update the game to the latest patch. After it downloaded the patch, it verified that all of the files were there, then told me that some of them for missing (I forget the exact error message and it won't let me see it again, I'm sorry!) and that I would have to reinstall the game. The thing is, I JUST reinstalled the game two weeks ago during problems updating the patch BEFORE this current patch (I took a bit of a hiatus from the game), so I'm trying to see if there's any other way I can fix the problem first.

I was able to view the log of the patching, and narrowed it down to being a "SHA1 Error" with a group of files under GameData/Shared/DeltaPackages/p08 and p09. When I checked the files to see if they were corrupted, it turns out they're completely *missing*, from both the game data and the back-up I made before patching. folders for p02-p07 are still in place, those two are the only ones that are missing.

So the main things I want to know is (1) is there a way I can fix this without completely reinstalling the game again? I can do this if I have to, but I'd really like to avoid it. and (2) any idea what caused this in the first place? I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Advertisement
In the Arena
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 4:08 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Installing / Patching / Uninstalling
    1. Whether you are Installing for the first time or Reinstalling, be sure to read the Game Help:Installwiki FAQ.
      -
    2. This Game_Help:TS3_Uninstallwiki link has the step-by-step instructions to guide you through uninstalling The Sims 3,
      and its (EP/SP) packs. As well as removing any leftovers after uninstalling.
      -
    3. The Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki Guide provides information on:
      • Tips Before You Begin
      • Patching Common Errors
      • Manual Patch Downloads
      • Invalid File Errors and more

If that resulted from patching via Launcher, I think it is safe to say, that may have been the cause. When Launcher stalls, the patch file sometimes becomes corrupted. Not to say that not using Launcher is all rainbows and unicorns, sometimes the Interwebz have broken pipes.
It is better to patch manually. You'll find the links to the .tgz file in the Patching Wiki. Make sure you also uninstall properly and cleared permissions and caches as the Uninstall page states in that FAQ guide.

ps: sorry for the delay, I don't really have anything to add as the resolution for that sort of error like you said is a reinstall. But seeing 0 replies threads bothers me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2011 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ellacharm3d
  • Sims 3 - Installing / Patching / Uninstalling
    1. Whether you are Installing for the first time or Reinstalling, be sure to read the Game Help:Installwiki FAQ.
      -
    2. This Game_Help:TS3_Uninstallwiki link has the step-by-step instructions to guide you through uninstalling The Sims 3,
      and its (EP/SP) packs. As well as removing any leftovers after uninstalling.
      -
    3. The Game_Help:TS3_Patchingwiki Guide provides information on:
      • Tips Before You Begin
      • Patching Common Errors
      • Manual Patch Downloads
      • Invalid File Errors and more

If that resulted from patching via Launcher, I think it is safe to say, that may have been the cause. When Launcher stalls, the patch file sometimes becomes corrupted. Not to say that not using Launcher is all rainbows and unicorns, sometimes the Interwebz have broken pipes.
It is better to patch manually. You'll find the links to the .tgz file in the Patching Wiki. Make sure you also uninstall properly and cleared permissions and caches as the Uninstall page states in that FAQ guide.

ps: sorry for the delay, I don't really have anything to add as the resolution for that sort of error like you said is a reinstall. But seeing 0 replies threads bothers me.

sob, okay, I figured. Thanks very much for your help, though! <3 I'll be sure to be a bit more careful about patching in the future.