Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 380 (Who?), Viewed: 142420 times.
Page 6 of 16
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#126 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 10:58 PM
I'm glad you got the effect you were after, GoofyGirl17! I'd like to see some larger images though- the ones you posted are tiny!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH
Lab Assistant
#127 Old 5th Feb 2012 at 12:09 PM
*blinks*

I've always wanted to incorporate adverse weather changes in my worlds, and I've been spying this thread for quite some time. Once I gte a full afternoon off I'll tackle it
Field Researcher
#128 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 12:56 AM Last edited by PoisonFrog : 9th Feb 2012 at 8:33 AM.
I don't think this has been mentioned before...

I was playing around with the fantastic new WorldBuilderCS from atavera found in the tutorial by simsample, and came across a great weather find in the Metadata Effects called billowycloud & billowycloudsfx. I was wondering why I couldn't get my overcast and stormy weather to look the same as the CAW versions...I think this is what was missing(INI tunings and color ramps aside).

These cloud formations are massive and thick enough to cut with a machete. I lowered both 300 units to get a fog effect for these screens ...

Edit~ I added a slideshow showing these weather effects to the bottom of my blog(which is linked in my sig) for anyone who wants a closer look. I'll leave it up for a few days...

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Field Researcher
#129 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:27 AM
Oh man. Now I want to get that working more than EVER for when I get desktop back! That kind of cloud is exactly what my halted-due-to-INI-fail spooky victorian world needs! (well, plus actually sorting the lighting so it's sepia/faded without being so dark at night that bats are grounded)
Original Poster
#130 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 2:21 PM
What a great find, PoisonFrog! Those clouds look great, especially for around tall mountains!

Baka, check out the new diff patch atavera has released in the CAW modding thread.

RUSH
Field Researcher
#131 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 3:54 PM
Yup, Atavera used me as new patch guinea pig about 5 minutes after I posted here LOL. So I've been playing! Now I just need my desktop back so I have my *files* for the Creepy Island ^_^ (Thank goodness for laptop, although now before I fix Creepy Island need to finish the Avalon builder island I just started to kill time while desktop was unavailable..... I may have a CAW addiction problem)
Field Researcher
#132 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 9:59 PM
Ok.. I am having a last issue with Howell Island. I have a lovely red moon for the sky- however, the reflection of the moon in the water is white. I can't figure out if this is something changed by INI or color ramp, and what lines of color ramp if it's that are for the moon? Some are noted as being for sun, but sun's reflection is fine and kind of reddish-orange in my current ramps.
Original Poster
#133 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 3:00 AM
It's colour ramp, bar 5 according to my notes so try that one, and if not try the next ones to it! (Sometimes it's hard to see the bars if they are very dark, so there's a good possibility I miscounted). I think the sun and moon reflection colour are governed by the same bar.

RUSH
Field Researcher
#134 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 10:57 PM
I'm finding it impossible to get a good red reflection for sun/moon- has anyone managed this? No matter how dark crimson I have the ramps turned to for 4 and 5 (or just 5, have tried both ways) the reflection on water of the sun becomes a pale/hot pink, not red, and the moon's reflected light continues to be white for most skies. I'm totally lost, since some weather types it's not as white, but I can't figure out why/how/what the heck I did anymore.

I did successfully get over all lighting darker during day without making night too dark, but am beginning to think that and the red moon image is about all I'll be able to manage.
Original Poster
#135 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 1:48 PM
Try increasing the black in the bar, rather than making the colour a more intense red, maybe? I'll take a look as soon as I get chance.

RUSH
Field Researcher
#136 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 10:30 PM
Will try again, though I had been darkening after making it a red-orange (I really want it to not be true red too), not just upping saturation. For some lighting the bar is so dark by default it can hardly be seen- I even in some cases brightened it, so I coudl see what I was doing, then darkened it back to where it hardly was visible, just had reddish-orange tint.. but still generally looks pink during day, or white at night O-o
Top Secret Researcher
#137 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 7:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakafox
(well, plus actually sorting the lighting so it's sepia/faded without being so dark at night that bats are grounded)

Sepia light? Sounds cool!

Anyhoo, I'm actually having some uber-saturation issues with my sea along small parts of shoreline, as Goofygirl displayed in an earlier post in this thread. I have double-checked and re-saved my color ramps as Simsample suggested in the post immediately following hers, and my Gimp settings exactly match those shown in post #3 regarding Mip settings. The problem still persists. Altering the shoreline in these areas doesn't seem to affect the problem. Could the issue be in my INIs, perhaps? Any ideas?

See the super-turquoise around some of the edges of this volcano?

This problem exists in a couple other small areas in my WIP (world in progress) but for the most part they all look fine.

I am guessing I can disguise most of them with some plant life, but I'd really like to understand what the issue actually is
Mad Poster
#138 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:08 AM
As I understand it, a lot of coloration is applied to the sea in reflection. Perhaps it is only applied to the water *surface*, and where that water surface doesn't exist you see an unmodified ocean colour? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or making sense, but that strikes me it might be the issue. A trick you can do with the new caw, if you have the right world for it, is to apply a Pond Tool water plane *just* above the sea level (or lower the sea level and apply it). The "breaking" of the water surface is much reduced in Pond Tool waterways, because their surfaces cut right into the shoreline.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Top Secret Researcher
#139 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 8:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_tea
As I understand it, a lot of coloration is applied to the sea in reflection. Perhaps it is only applied to the water *surface*, and where that water surface doesn't exist you see an unmodified ocean colour? I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or making sense, but that strikes me it might be the issue. A trick you can do with the new caw, if you have the right world for it, is to apply a Pond Tool water plane *just* above the sea level (or lower the sea level and apply it). The "breaking" of the water surface is much reduced in Pond Tool waterways, because their surfaces cut right into the shoreline.

No, you are sort of making sense Before I applied my color ramps, I encountered some areas where the water surface was just...missing. I got around that by altering the shoreline in those spots. so maybe I just didn't alter the shorelines enough in this case. Perhaps it's simply more noticeable with my vivid water color and that's why I'm just now noticing it in these other areas. Thank you for your insight.

I saw the CAW updates and have been putting off reading about it or installing it until I had more time ...I guess I will have to find time sooner, rather than later.
Original Poster
#140 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 4:15 PM
I'm not sure placing another water plane would help, as the CAW water planes will continue to the extent of your buildable terrain, so you will have a 'square' of visible water (whether you put it under or above the sea level).

Better would be to resculpt the land to fix this; I know it's a flaw with the way the water surfaces work, as I've had it in my own worlds and EA has it in theirs (even Lunar Lakes, I notice along the canals). I think you're right about it being more visible because of the bright water murk colour. Maybe you could disguise it with some rocks or plants, if you can't get rid of it (which is what I always do!)!

RUSH
Top Secret Researcher
#141 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 4:13 AM
I can't comment on the first method of using the 'new' tools is CAW, as I've yet to implement them. Kiwi's reasoning as a basis though does seem sound. Simsample you may also be correct though, as I previously corrected this issue with shoreline changes, without realizing it was the same issue. It may've just been more apparent after I started playing with sea and sky colors again. Gofflamick! I don't wanna disguise it! but I guess I must in some areas. Playing more with the shorelines DOES help this issue, so that is at least a partial fix.

I wouldn't call it Done yet, but the sea color problems are less-apparent after shoreline terrain changes. No disguising yet

See, you can still discern the super-saturated sea color areas at the shoreline, but they're not as ...offensive.
Field Researcher
#142 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 5:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pendragon
... Gofflamick! I don't wanna disguise it! but I guess I must in some areas. Playing more with the shorelines DOES help this issue, so that is at least a partial fix.

I wouldn't call it Done yet, but the sea color problems are less-apparent after shoreline terrain changes. No disguising yet

See, you can still discern the super-saturated sea color areas at the shoreline, but they're not as ...offensive.

An idea I was pondering, for implementing in my Arr! Island full build with better tropical lighting, was to maybe try and come up with a coral reef texture for the areas that have that shallow mis-reflection, and just make them shallower- since using clear water, it then might make sense for the brighter water, since it IS oft brighter in reefy shallows.

Considering my headaches making Howell's gloom and doom look, I am already a bit frightened to tackle tropics to begin with

EDIT:
Also! For people using New CAW and who make volcanoes, or apocalyptic worlds- Something neat I discovered when testing effects.

There are the new 'explosion' effects- they are basically pretty fireworks, an while the colors may not be perfect, I found that if you place them, because game is paused until a playable family is made, they are frozen bright (blindingly so) flashes of light til finally game resumes and they finish off.

This makes for an interesting volcanic eruption, or nuclear bomb, start to a world for story purposes.
Top Secret Researcher
#143 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakafox
Also! For people using New CAW and who make volcanoes, or apocalyptic worlds- Something neat I discovered when testing effects.

There are the new 'explosion' effects- they are basically pretty fireworks, an while the colors may not be perfect, I found that if you place them, because game is paused until a playable family is made, they are frozen bright (blindingly so) flashes of light til finally game resumes and they finish off.

This makes for an interesting volcanic eruption, or nuclear bomb, start to a world for story purposes.
Interesting, I will have to have a look at that. For my volcanoes I've been using the tall water splash effects, placed just under the surface of the water, for a "steam" effect.
Mad Poster
#144 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:43 PM
I think ep2roofsmoke is the largest smoke available now for volcanoes. It's what I'm using, alongside the tall water splash.

Field Researcher
#145 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pendragon
Interesting, I will have to have a look at that. For my volcanoes I've been using the tall water splash effects, placed just under the surface of the water, for a "steam" effect.

The Science steam also is good for volcanoes

Margaret: The explosion only happens the once, so the seething steam and smoke can still be the 'remnant'. Once the world's been entered and it unpauses, the explosion does not happen again, or at least did not for me, even though I passed over areas repeatedly in case it was 'plays once when you go over it'.
Original Poster
#146 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 12:35 AM
Baka, Margaret and Kiwi- I think this information would be great for people to know, how about starting a new thread for this? Then people could post images and tell what effects they used to make volcanoes and other features in CAW.

Since we now have the unlocked CAW it will be really good to have a reference, and I think it would be useful for non-CAW people too (as the effects have corresponding fog emitter counterparts I think, for use on lots).

RUSH
Mad Poster
#147 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:33 AM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 11th Mar 2012 at 10:22 AM.
It appears that the leaked patch of the magic EP contains moon phases, and the patch also appears to break custom moons (Port Piston has a big ugly black circle in the sky). Something to watch out for.

Edit: Right, it appears sometimes, but mostly not. What I suspect is happening is that it's drawing the full moons from moon.dds, but doesn't have any textures for the other phases.

Original Poster
#148 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 2:42 PM
Oh, good! I'm glad that we'll have moon phases (the moon phase info is already there in S3_1F886EAD_00000000_5E20253AF53E517F%%+_INI.ini), but of course this might mean that some current worlds with moons might need some retrofitting. I wonder if they'll fix Lunar Lakes?

RUSH
Top Secret Researcher
#149 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 5:16 PM
Mad Poster
#150 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 5:09 PM
If there was an ep7 in the works, and I'm not saying there is... ...and if it contained moon phases, and I'm not saying it does... ...my uncanny uninformed intuition would say we should rest assured that EA knows about the issue - not that I'm saying there is an issue - and they're making sure that the system - should it even exist - does not conflict with custom moons.

Page 6 of 16

Section jump