Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Nov 2011 at 5:32 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations
Default We are unable to verify that your disc is a valid copy of The Sims 3
Every now and then this message pops up just after the game loads

"We are unable to verify that your disc is a valid copy of The Sims 3"

(I was going to print screen it when it just happened but I forgot, oops)

I have a genuine copy of the game, I bought it from Amazon. This happens about 10% of the time. The only way I can fix it is by restarting my iMac which is pretty annoying.

Could someone shed some light on this please?
Advertisement
In the Arena
staff: senior moderator
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 4:53 AM
Can the machine read other discs?
Which game disc are you using, Pets? Can the machine read other Sims 3 game discs (not to play, just to browse and stuff)?

Quote:
Post your system specs:
About This Mac (top left corner of your screen) > More Info, and then copy + paste what it says there in Hardware Overview and Graphics.

Some Macs have issues with the DVD drive. Lots of threads on Apple forums on this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 3:21 PM
It used to do it with the other Sim games too.

In the Arena
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 3:50 PM Last edited by ellacharm3d : 3rd Nov 2011 at 4:03 PM.
So you've been having this issue with Sims discs? Not just starting with Pets?
Since it is a new iMac, I'd call Apple care. Like I mentioned, there's a faulty "something" with their disc drives. I don't know if it is hardware, or firmware or loose soldering or what. Some have resorted to using external DVD players.

There's an FAQ I read (although I cannot locate the link on EA's site now anymore, but the threads below has the gist of its contents) that disabling Time Machine sometimes help. As does ejecting any peripherals that has a harddrive, eg iPod, iPhone, USB thumb drives, etc. Or if you have any Disc burning software, to make sure that is not running in the background while playing Sims.
You've tried restarting, yes?

Some threads on this:
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/29896.page
http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/419811.page
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 11:55 PM
Thank you Like I said it doesn't happen all the time, just 5/10% of the time. Next time I'm in an Apple Store I'll ask someone
In the Arena
#6 Old 7th Nov 2011 at 3:25 AM
Why wait until you get to a store?
Doesn't the Apple Care you pay for (that cost a bomb) entitle you to support via telephone? I say use all the services at your disposal. They are all paid for after all, let them work for it.
Theorist
#7 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 4:48 PM
I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to say I get the same issue occasionally, we have the same computer also. If you restart the game it's fine so I don't worry about it.

Hi I'm Paul!
Test Subject
#8 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 11:50 AM
I used to have that problem too. In the folder "Downloads", there's a file called "tslus.bin". The first time I downloaded custom content(.sims3pack to the "Downloads"-folder), it automatically moved to another folder(the main folder, The Sims 3). You just have to move it to the "Downloads"-folder again and it should work.

Section jump