Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 3522 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 2:32 PM
Default Weird Alpha-Mesh transparency
I read through most of the threads with similar titles but it didn't solve the problem.

I'm trying to get the alpha layer of one of my meshes able to fade instead of the "all or nothing"-default.. uhm.. you know.. just like this. But as soon as I try changing the needed strings in SimPE the Mesh shows up with weird transparency in game. I tried several times and re-built the alpha mesh part again and again from the beginning but it just does not work like I want it to. I can minimize the problem by altering the alpha mesh or its inner layer, but it won't let me solve it. The values in SimPE look perfect as do the bones, just the goddamned alpha-part doesn't. This one really drives me mad.

The left one shows the best result I got.

Don't mind the shoes, they're not completely mapped at this point.

I made the same alpha-changes to other meshes about a thousands times and it worked without any problems.. So I am wondering if this might be caused by the higher poly count of this one (well, not really "high", currently 4966 - but there is a good reason for this). If I don't change anything and keep the alpha like it is, the mesh works fine. The Recolor I've chosen for both dresses on the pics to link my meshfile to is the Base Game afbodyhulaskirt.

Sorry for my bad english, I woke up just a few minutes ago
Screenshots

Do not send any Requests, please. I do not have the time for it.
There will be NO female versions of anything of my male stuff. Never ever.
You may convert it for your own personal use if you want to.. I won't do it.
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 8:18 PM
How many alpha layers do you have? Is it the same number as the recolour you're using? Are your alpha mesh parts set to the right Opacity number in MilkShape? Are the NumSknWgts values set to 3 in MilkShape? Are your alpha layers set to "blend" in SimPE? These are all things you need to check. I've had this problem a few times with alpha meshes... usually when I've combined alpha mesh parts when I shouldn't have!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 9:05 PM Last edited by q3tbo : 27th Nov 2011 at 9:22 PM.
I never cared about how many layers the recolors have. There is one Alpha Group including 3 different parts. The Shoes are part 1+2. To save some polys there's only the outside-layer for them. The skirt-part is double-layered, one for the outside and one reversed duplicate for the inside, so it does not turn invisible from beneath. I made a similar alpha-mesh only just yesterday, to try out how much and what I can combine, which works perfect, without any transparency defects. Tentatively I deleted the shoes and tried the mesh again in my game, but the problem remains the same.

I can get it to look good at first sight but when it starts moving the strange edges shine through. I don't get it.

Opacity and NumSknWgts are correct.

Are your alpha layers set to "blend" in SimPE?
No, not anymore. It is currently set to "none", so I could make some recolors that only need a simple bucket-filled alpha meanwhile.

Site Helper
#4 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by q3tbo
I never cared about how many layers the recolors have. There is one Alpha Group including 3 different parts. The Shoes are part 1+2. To save some polys there's only the outside-layer for them. The skirt-part is double-layered, one for the outside and one reversed duplicate for the inside, so it does not turn invisible from beneath. I made a similar alpha-mesh only just yesterday, to try out how much and what I can combine, which works perfect, without any transparency defects.

The mesh and the recolour have to have the same number of groups. I can't remember offhand how many groups the hula outfit has. Since it's Maxis, I'm guessing... three? In any case, the mesh groups need to have the same names as the groups in the recolour package. If you don't know how to do this, CatOfEvilGenius's tutorial explains it clearly.

However, I think your problem may be with the skirt itself and the number of mesh groups (in MilkShape). You said there is one alpha group... so I'm assuming that means the double-layered skirt has been combined into one part. I've had the same issues with this; sometimes it works okay, and sometimes you get really weird transparency issues when the Sim moves around. The best thing to do is have the inside and outside layers as separate groups. Make sure the opacity for the outside layer is higher than the opacity for the inner layer. This should fix any transparency issues with the skirt.

Edited to add:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. My skirt originally had two layers, but it should've been four (two inside layers, two outside ones). You can see the weird transparency effect when she tries to sit down!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Nov 2011 at 11:49 PM Last edited by q3tbo : 28th Nov 2011 at 1:28 AM.
The original hula skirt has 2 groups named body and body_alpha. I rename my groups in SimPE, because I always forget it before exporting in Milkshape. I'll try if I can change anything by playing around with the mesh groups and layers.. or what else comes to my mind. I must have missed one tiny thing which I'm just too blind to see.

It's not my first mesh, but the first time I seem unable to repair it, even not with complete re-building the mesh.

Hmm.. I tried again and again and again and I think I tried everything... It looks good from front and back, even while moving, especially with really short skirts, but when seen from the side it "breaks". Not as bad as before, but it still does.

Screenshots

Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Nov 2011 at 7:42 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 28th Nov 2011 at 8:14 AM.
The opacity on both the skirt layers is probably the same.
You didn't regroup inner and outerlayer did you, you always need to keep them seperate.
You can however name them the same so they share the same texture file(and the recolour file can stay unedited)
but the opacity should be changhed to 3 for the innerlayer and 5 for the outerlayer.

Another thing that can cause transparancy/bleeding through are underweighted boneassignements.

If you take fakepeeps skirt she can use the following setup.
2 outerlayers named the same
2 innerlayers named the same.
Then change the opacity(starting from the inside) to 3/5/7/9

But it is not necesarry to have a diffrent named meshgroup for each layer, keep em seperate but name them the same!
This will not solve the bleeding through if you look from the inside to the outside.

Section jump