Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sim Tracker

by RebaLynnTS Posted 1st Jan 2012 at 8:15 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 2:50 PM by Nysha

176 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 108 Feedback Posts, 67 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 8
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 9:20 PM
THANK YOU!!
You've became ma herro :3
Instructor
THANKS POST
#3 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 9:21 PM
Thank you so much!
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 9:36 PM
An app like this is certainly an improvement over stacks of notes. However, given my huge number of sims and the time that elapses between when I play, it would be much better to have this app auto update from game data files. Have you taken a look at the DBPF file format wiki info? It is very helpful. If you are currently hung up on compression / decompression, berq at MATY has written routines to take care of that, and I have a library that wraps those routines so they are even easier. If you're writing in C++, you could use it.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 12:48 AM
Thank you so much for this!!!!!

While I suppose many folks are going to be "upset" about the lack of an auto-update feature I'm actually quite happy with Sim Tracker as it is, since auto-updating means only "normal" Maxis stuff could be properly accounted for & for somebody like me who's addicted to custom skins, eyes, careers & even "species" (Maxis-code doesn't "know" about Merfolk, Angels, Pixies, etc) I am absolutely thrilled that you made the Sim Tracker so customizable!!!

Thank you for thinking of us "non-standard" players!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 1:04 AM
Wow! I thought I was a little bit crazy for trying to keep some track of my gazillions of Simmies!!!! Now I'm very happy to know I'm perfectly normal and in good company! LOL
BTW, I'm too addicted to custom "species"...

This will be very helpful! Thank you very much!
Not actually evil.
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 3:03 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 2nd Jan 2012 at 4:05 AM.
Zirconia and RebaLynnTS Custom content like careers and eyes can be auto tracked just like Maxis content. It's all just package files. Some things, like custom species (merfolk, angels, pixies) will show up as human if you just go by game flags. However, the app could have a "custom species" checkbox that let the user input their own species if they wanted.

edit:
Not criticizing the app, it is nifty, just saying since you plan to automate it, here's my thoughts on that. I certainly do appreciate the amount of work and planning (and testing) that went into this.

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#8 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 3:59 AM
Now that it's finally released to the general public, I must admit that I'm very happy having been a beta tester for this program. It does everything I ever needed/wanted a tracking program to do, and Reba has done an outstanding job of not only creating such a great program, but making it sure to update it as necessary.

I'm also glad she has the patience of a saint with the huge amount of details that we testers probably unloaded on her every single day for 3 months!

Great job!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 5:59 AM
I just posted an update, not sure how long it will take to show up, but if you have problems with the 1.09 version, they should go away in the 1.40 version.

I'm posting that one to my site in just a few short minutes.

It's your life, live it your way!
Want to see what else I make, go to www.rlm-soft.com and check it out.
Find out what's happening with Sim Tracker
---
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 4:59 PM
Thank you! Now maybe I won't have to have mile long spread sheets.
#11 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:06 PM
I'm posting this now here because if people run into this problem they'll most likely see the solution here instead of on creator feedback. The new version did the same as I posted in the creator forum, but I've found a workaround for now.

If the program crashes when you try to run it and windows tell you they'll find a solution run the program under administrator even if you're on an administrator account it should bring the program right up.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#12 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 7:15 PM
Wow. I started writing my own recently, but I had far fewer details I was interested in tracking. I have dual monitors, which lets me have mine off to the side while playing, so I wanted to see a concise list of details. Mostly, I wanted to see what skin each sim had, to know what bodyshape to look for when choosing new clothes, aspiration, main hobby, and significant other. Yours looks great, but honestly for me personally it's too much information. But it looks like you've done a great job.

Mine does read package files, but I only do that to keep my skin list updated with family codes. I occasionally like to change skins. Mine also serializes to XML, which it looks like you've chosen as well. Which is great, because then it's very easy for other tools to use the same information. Great job. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only weirdo still playing Sims 2. All the Sims in 3 look like downs syndrome kids to me.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Jan 2012 at 10:48 PM Last edited by RebaLynnTS : 2nd Jan 2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
boneheadiii, check the options section. You can hide all the tabs you don't want to use. Personally, I hide the Magic tab, and the Roommates tab, as I never use them. Since some people might, I put them in there. I tried to make it as versatile as possible.

I forgot to mention this. When you open a household in the latest version you may only see a list of names in the household family list. Right Click, and you will be able to turn on any information you want to see.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 12:22 AM
A simmer after my own heart. However, it would probably not work for me to use this since the time I need this info is when I'm playing and I only have one monitor. I will probably try it and maybe I'll be wrong. The majority of what my sister and I write down is stuff needed for each household to do, matchmaker lists so we can keep track of who's marrying who (some are betrothed practically at birth. Chemistry is irrelevant), and who attends weddings. It might be nice to include info about births and stuff like that, so I will probably check this out and see how it works for me.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2012 at 6:19 PM
Wait... I thought you were kidding about the SimTracker! Never mind now! *mashes download button* Yay! Thanks!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator THANKS POST
#16 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 4:49 PM
Congratulations on getting it released Reba.
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 11:51 PM
Great idea for a program, keep up the good work.

I am working through to see if there are any bugs. Currently I have not found any actual bugs, but several typos. "Ascending" and "Descending" are both misspelled at every instance. As I explore the program further I will post anything I feel needs to be addressed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaxck
Great idea for a program, keep up the good work.

I am working through to see if there are any bugs. Currently I have not found any actual bugs, but several typos. "Ascending" and "Descending" are both misspelled at every instance. As I explore the program further I will post anything I feel needs to be addressed.

It would not surprise me if you found several. Visual Studio does not have a spell checker, and I am extremely dyslexic. Not to mention, I am not the best speller in the world

At least, when I am wrong, I am consistent about it

---
Test Subject
#19 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 2:32 AM
I'm getting an error when trying to add new sims. The error first occurred when I tried to make Bella Goth's career Military lvl 10 General. I'm now getting a box with the below message whenever I try to do anything.

"Conversion from string "sStartTime10" to type 'integer' is not valid."

I don't know how to fix the bug, and I am incapable of doing anything further with the program.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 5:35 AM Last edited by RebaLynnTS : 5th Jan 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Default Military Fix
Sorry about that.

Here's how to fix it.

1. Download the file attached to this post.
2. Go to c://RLMsoft/TextFiles/W7-SimTracker/Careers
3. Replace AdultMilitary.txt & AdultPolitics.txt with the downloaded files.
4. Go to MyDocuments/RLMsoft/W7-SimTracker/[UserName]/Files
5. Delete Files "AC7_AdultCareer.bin" and "AC8_AdultCareer.bin"
6. Rerun the program.

It should fix that problem. I'll post an update that will keep it from happening to anyone else.

Edit: It would appear that the politics career text file, also had issues, so I am uploading a corrected version here.
I have re-uploaded the Sim Tracker with the corrections. Re-downloading, will not fix this issue, unless you delete the AC#_AdultCareer.bin files.

I have attached the corrected files to the main downloads section.

---
Test Subject
#21 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 8:03 AM
Thanks! I'll keep using the program, see if there are any more bugs or features that could be improved.

EDIT: You can't reorganize the order of neighborhoods, households, or sims in the side window. A system which auto alphabetizes those lists would be invaluable.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
Original Poster
#22 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 1:32 PM
Try right clicking

I make use of right click context menus, a lot.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#23 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 6:15 PM
Just wanted to say thanks (again) for this amazing program & the easy-to-install updates! Also tickled that the "add-on" thing for the custom pets was so easy to install! (I love user-friendly stuffeths!)

Also wanted so say, that I'm very Dyslexic too & admire anyone with such a "disability" that has the guts to write their own program code! (I dearly want to learn more HTML & such, but am afraid it may all end in tears.)

As to spelling, there is a neat (free!) program available called "TinySpell" that works on anything/program you are typing in on a Widows environment which has been a godsend for me when typing in WordPad or other such non-spell-check applications.

For anyone interested, you can find more info here: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/
Field Researcher
#24 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 7:19 PM
I have a question... I am using Windows Vista, and I downloaded the Sim Tracker and used the link you posted for downloading the .Net Framework. I installed them both and tried to run the Sim Tracker, but when I click the icon I get a message telling me that "I haven't installed the .Net Framework v4.0.30319" even though I have... the version I downloaded says it's v4.0.30319.1, is that what the problem is?

(Sorry if I sound utterly clueless or if this is the wrong place to ask. I just want to get the program up and running.)

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 5th Jan 2012 at 7:27 PM
Did you install the framework first?
Sometimes the order can make a difference.

I'd suggest reinstalling framework 4, then reinstalling the Sim Tracker. If you are still having problems after that, let me know.

The good thing about windows, is also the bad thing about it. It can be changed easily. The more options you include, the more problems can crop up.

---
Page 1 of 8