Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 13 (Who?), Viewed: 3012 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 3:32 AM
Default Will these run Sims3, please?
Hey guys,

I play The Sims3 on my desktop PC. I have WA, Am, NL, and Pets.
I am getting a laptop in the next couple of weeks, and I was wondering if it would be possible to play the Sims3 on it?

Now, I’m in the process of choosing between two laptops, neither of them are for me to play Sims on primarily, but it would be nice if I could.

I was thinking of installing the base game with AW and/or Am.
Would these laptops run it at all?

The specs are:
1)
Processor: Intel Core i3-2330M Processor (3M Cache, 2.20 GHz)
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Hard drive: 500GB 5400rpm

2)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2430M Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce 410M / 1GB
Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz
Hard drive: 750GB 5400rpm

Thanks!
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 4:04 AM
No, I don't think either of them would be able to.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 2:09 PM
Anyone else?
Site Helper
#4 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 4:19 PM
The Intel graphics chip has caused people a lot of problems, so the first machine is a definite NO.

We have a couple of people who are really good with hardware, but you'll just have to be patient until they log on and check this forum. Sorry that I don't have enough knowledge to comment on the second computer.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 7:20 PM
Okay, thanks :0)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
staff: administrator
#6 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 7:29 PM
Looks like the 410M is pretty weak too - better than the Intel HD 3000 (though not by much), and #2 has a better processor and larger hard drive as well, but I don't see that the 410M is supported for TS3. For some reason, Geforce mentions TS3 specifically on its "zomg amazing graphics!!1eleventy" description for the 410M, but that doesn't really mean much. If these are the only two models you're choosing from, I'd go with #2, but know that the graphics are still unsupported and pretty weak, so playing TS3 on it will be iffy at best.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
YOUR BUTTHURT SUSTAINS ME.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Dec 2011 at 8:16 PM
Okay, thanks HP!
As I said, the laptop isnt for the game, I'm not getting it for that, really, its for other uses. I just wondered if I might be able to play the game. It would be nice to take the sims with me, lol.
If I go for the second, I'll install it and see what happens. If its too weak, I'll stick to my desktop for the game.
Site Helper
#8 Old 29th Dec 2011 at 3:38 AM
Just remember, you can destroy your laptop by trying to play the Sims 3 on it, if it isn't powerful enough:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...r_is_Like_a_Car
Site Helper
DELETED POST
29th Dec 2011 at 4:30 AM
This message has been deleted by ajaxsirius.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 1:47 AM Last edited by uksims2fan : 30th Dec 2011 at 3:20 AM.
Hey guys, I've been looking around for deals... as far as the sims goes... (and, yes, I know I said the laptop wouldn't primarily be for that), what about these...

(Not sure if the processers are fast enough...)

The first is really the only one in my price range, I'd have to save some more for the others...

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5 2467M 1.6GHz (3MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
GRAPHICS CARD 1GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M
MEMORY 3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]
HARD DRIVE 250GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
LCD 11.6" (29 cm) Widescreen High Definition (1366x76

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 2637M 1.7GHz (2.8GHz w/Turbo Boost, 4MB Cache)
GRAPHICS CARD 2GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M
MEMORY 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
HARD DRIVE 250GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
LCD 11.6" (29 cm) Widescreen High Definition (1366x76

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 2430M (2.40Ghz, 3MB, 2C)
GRAPHICS CARD 1.5GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT555M
MEMORY 6144MB (1x2GB + 1x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
HARD DRIVE 500GB (7,200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
LCD 14.0" (36 cm) Widescreen High Definition (1366x76

Or, is ANY laptop pushing it running The Sims3?
In the Arena
staff: senior moderator
#10 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 7:08 AM
The first 2 is in the netbook category, going by their screensize? Then just by that definition alone and the CPUs, most likely won't handle Sims 3 well.

If the first one is the only one in your price range, won't me saying only the 3rd choice has potential be moot?
That is also at mid-settings, not high.

Quote:
Or, is ANY laptop pushing it running The Sims3?
Yes, unless they are classified as "Desktop-Replacements" or "Gaming" behemoths, then laptops for 3D gaming is kinda hard to find. I mean one that would play well, not burn my lap, break my back in transporting it and not cost me a few months pay.

If I'm going to pay through the nose for a machine, I would rather it be upgradeable as well, which most laptops aren't. My criteria for mobility is weight and if it can fit in my purse, have space enough for my ebooks and Calibre library catalog, play the odd video now and then, some music, surf the web, check emails on the go; alas not playing Sims 3 as I'd have to have separate games or suffer through transferring my saves and CC back and forth.

We have so many tablet choices nowadays (to fit the my idea of being mobile above), and I seldom have an inkling to play Sims when on the move, that a laptop is no longer the only choice. So that may not apply to you if you have different "mobility" preferences/criteria.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 6:37 PM
Those 3 are Alianwere "gaming" laptops... However, I realised the first two dont have drives... so the third would be the only option...
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-...en&s=dhs&~ck=mn
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 1:55 AM
Hey guys, me again.
Does anyone know anything about Laptop Coolers? And which ones are good at thier job?
My budget is medium for one.
Site Helper
#13 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 6:09 AM
Many of them are complete garbage. You should really do your homework researching them if you don't want to get ripped off. It also depends on how your laptop exhaust works. I think its best of you get one after you actually have your laptop and have used it a bit. It may turn out that you don't actually need one.
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#14 Old 1st Jan 2012 at 7:36 PM
Don't buy Alienware laptops. They're overpriced and the cooling sucks. As far as brands go, ASUS are good, HP and Acer are bad - there are more brand suggestions in the sticky at the top of this forum.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

Section jump