Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 44 (Who?), Viewed: 6274 times.
Page 1 of 2
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 12:44 AM
Default Sims Wants, Fears and Playstyle
Do you always try to fulfill all your sims' wants or do you sometimes just have them fulfill their fears or ignore wants, just to remind them who is boss?

I usually try to fulfill all the doable wants, but I am trying to make a town populated by lots of witches and werewolves, plantsims, vampires, and of course aliens. I'm seriously thinking of just saying hell with it and turning even the ones who fear it. After all, I've had Romance sims have babies and I've made sloppy sims change nappies. I've also gone against the wishes of other sims in Strangetown and done things like getting the Curious brothers abducted of course.

So anyway, do you always respect your sims' fears of becoming different creatures, or do you just do what you wish and force them to accept their fates? Also, I've gotten non-knowledge sims abducted so I wonder why I'm so averse to fulfilling certain fears. Beh. I do want my sims to be happy but I am beginning to want to give them somewhat imperfect lives where not all their wants are fulfilled, but I still make a big effort to get them permaplat.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 12:50 AM
I'm like that with the doable wants, but sometimes I start obsessing when I can't complete one, it's a never ending cycle, that is until I realise It's not fun at all obsessing then give up for the day.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanleiuk
I'm like that with the doable wants, but sometimes I start obsessing when I can't complete one, it's a never ending cycle, that is until I realise It's not fun at all obsessing then give up for the day.

Well I think I may just start letting my sims get disappointed because it seems that there comes a time when Sims start getting uppity and forget their place. The player should be master, and besides that sims are really stupid. Only the pets seem to have any brains. Also, I'm combing the net for some tweaks for wants. I really don't know the logic of want tree programming but I'm going to keep on experimenting to see if I can get a non-knowledge sim who will actually want to be an occult creature. May hafta disappoint my sims
Test Subject
#4 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:03 AM
I mostly disapoint them I've come back from the sims 3 so everything from the sims 2 is new to me, I'm sure I'll get the hang of things soon.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:04 AM
I'm a softie, so I tend to start looking for wants to fulfill when sims get to mid-low green aspiration. Accordingly, I never deliberately fulfill a fear out of meanness, though sometimes I have to let them take the hit if I need something to happen NOW and can't wait for them to roll that fear away.

That said, I definitely do not feel like I need to fulfill some of the crazier major wants, like Have 10 Kids. Nope, nuh uh, not gonna happen - sorry. If they need a boost and don't have any decent wants at that time, I'll send them on a date.

ETA: As to creatures, I currently have a Popularity werewolf, and he seems to be okay with this. (Actually, I think he's secondary Knowledge anyway, which would explain it.) Generally, I won't turn non-Knowledge sims into creatures. Family sims are subject to abduction, however. Having a child offsets the terror of the abduction.
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
I'm a softie, so I tend to start looking for wants to fulfill when sims get to mid-low green aspiration. Accordingly, I never deliberately fulfill a fear out of meanness, though sometimes I have to let them take the hit if I need something to happen NOW and can't wait for them to roll that fear away.

That said, I definitely do not feel like I need to fulfill some of the crazier major wants, like Have 10 Kids. Nope, nuh uh, not gonna happen - sorry. If they need a boost and don't have any decent wants at that time, I'll send them on a date.

ETA: As to creatures, I currently have a Popularity werewolf, and he seems to be okay with this. (Actually, I think he's secondary Knowledge anyway, which would explain it.) Generally, I won't turn non-Knowledge sims into creatures. Family sims are subject to abduction, however. Having a child offsets the terror of the abduction.

I'd feel a little guilty if I fulfill a fear! I suppose I should live a little lol

My Sims 3 Legacy Playlist on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cZeFAZcASs2qH6H
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:10 AM Last edited by JDacapo : 4th Apr 2012 at 1:25 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanleiuk
I mostly disapoint them I've come back from the sims 3 so everything from the sims 2 is new to me, I'm sure I'll get the hang of things soon.

It sucks though - I want them to be happy, but I know that there are lots of things that would be better for them than just what they are comfortable with or what they would want - like Cassandra Goth starts out wanting to marry Don Lothario but most who know about them both know that Cassandra is cruising for a broken heart if she marries that playboy. She'd be far happier with a sim who is family, fortune or knowledge oriented - one who wouldn't want to cheat on her!

Quote:

I suppose that is how parents feel about things like not getting their children things they really want for Christmas or something, or when they don't allow their teen daughters to wear makeup or those really tight, form-fitting clothes. They feel bad but they know that if their daughters do that they could end up for example getting the wrong kind of attention and possibly get their hearts broken by boys who don't want commitments. And then there are parents who won't buy their kids those trendy clothes, fancy new cars or the latest gadgets. They may know that there are other things that are more important, like teaching their children how to do without, and the joy of earning what they wish to have.

I like to have variety, and I probably won't turn a non-knowledge sim into a zombie because even though they live forever they stink and tend to be very mean, they and they lose all their skill points! There's more of an advantage to being a werewolf or vampire, because vampires live forever and only have to sleep during the day - and teen vampires get a special scholarship for the undead! I have mods for night-classes, so teen vampires can keep their grades up before they go to college. Also I have a mod that turns cologne into sunblock. Getting abducted by aliens may give a bad memory, but it gives a good memory too, for the males of childbearing age. And being a witch or warlock gives loads of benefits, like running businesses 24/7 and rallying forth until the evil mascots come home XD, and being a plantsim? Just keep lots of sunlamps and a hot tub in the store, and talk with customers! It'll keep the shop owner kickin' all day and night!

It's just that I think it's rather boring for all the non-self-hating witches to only want to turn others, be werewolves and vampires and plantsims and zombies and get abducted, while other aspirations only want cures and to be cured, and fear turning! Witches should be more romantic, darnit!
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:10 AM
I think we all play differently at different times, and for some of us with different sims. You might have one household in which you're doing a challenge which is all about fulfilling a sim's fears, for example, and next door lives your favorite sim who you spoil rotten because you can't bear to see him sink below platinum. Not that, um, I would know anything about that first hand...

Fulfilling all the wants is impossible, anyway.

I play to my characters, making choices based less on what I want them to do and more on what I think they would do. For example, I might not want Heather Beare to cheat on her husband Kevin, and I'm certainly not going to set up a situation to make it easy for her. But supposing she ran into an old flame on a community lot and started rolling wants about him again, and he started obsessing about her and rolling wants to date her and so on - there are story circumstances in which I'd let him, and the date would play out the way it played out. Moreover, if while playing her lot she ran into him at the grocery store and her wants panel turned all red, I wouldn't feel that I'd have any choice but to run with it. I'd give her every chance to back out, but if she wants to woohoo in the photo booth, I'll let her do it.

Only, it wouldn't be a woohoo it would be "Try for Baby," because she and Kevin aren't using birth control. The exception would be, if her partner were someone who has had his tubes tied, or who has been established in story as someone who is always prepared, then it'd be just "woohoo."

And the story would roll from there.

For those of you who do me the kindness of paying attention to what goes on in Drama Acres, I would like to assure you that, at present, there is no prospect of Heather cheating with anybody. As far as I can tell, she's over that phase. But she is a ditz, and she has a history, and I have formed a contingency plan in case of backsliding which, in the absence of any real activity in my game right now, bobbed to my head as a fair example. It isn't at all likely, anyhow - if nothing else, working on that "marry off six kids" LTW of hers never leaves her alone in the house!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Inventor
#9 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:11 AM
The only fear I make my sims do on purpose is the 'change dirty diaper one'.
Test Subject
#10 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:13 AM
The same thing I would do

My Sims 3 Legacy Playlist on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cZeFAZcASs2qH6H
Mad Poster
#11 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
I think we all play differently at different times, and for some of us with different sims. You might have one household in which you're doing a challenge which is all about fulfilling a sim's fears, for example,

Yeah, I should probably add that I have inflicted the Apocalypse Challenge on a great many sims, and that's not fun for them at all! But misery is just part of it, and makes little moments of happiness all the sweeter.
Test Subject
#12 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:16 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I should probably add that I have inflicted the Apocalypse Challenge on a great many sims, and that's not fun for them at all! But misery is just part of it, and makes little moments of happiness all the sweeter.

It's funny what Sims do when you put them through that challenge, I've read and enjoyed many funny stories, it's amazing what they get upto!

Test Subject
#13 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDacapo
It sucks though - I want them to be happy, but I know that there are lots of things that would be better for them than just what they are comfortable with or what they would want - like Cassandra Goth starts out wanting to marry Don Lothario but most who know about them both know that Cassandra is cruising for a broken heart if she marries that playboy. She'd be far happier with a sim who is family, fortune or knowledge oriented - one who wouldn't want to cheat on her!

I agree, Cassandra deserves someone better! I may make my Simself to take care of her lol

Instructor
#14 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:24 AM
I definitely try to fulfill sim wants, especially lately with my empire city. I do try to always fulfill LTWs and get permaplat. I don't ever intentionally fulfill fears, usually this only happens when they have to change a diaper or when they get a bad interaction with another sim that they feared. I've been particular lately about second children and beyond being born/adopted only with either a rolled want or an LTW.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 1:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
I think we all play differently at different times, and for some of us with different sims. You might have one household in which you're doing a challenge which is all about fulfilling a sim's fears, for example, and next door lives your favorite sim who you spoil rotten because you can't bear to see him sink below platinum. Not that, um, I would know anything about that first hand...

Fulfilling all the wants is impossible, anyway.

I play to my characters, making choices based less on what I want them to do and more on what I think they would do. For example, I might not want Heather Beare to cheat on her husband Kevin, and I'm certainly not going to set up a situation to make it easy for her. But supposing she ran into an old flame on a community lot and started rolling wants about him again, and he started obsessing about her and rolling wants to date her and so on - there are story circumstances in which I'd let him, and the date would play out the way it played out. Moreover, if while playing her lot she ran into him at the grocery store and her wants panel turned all red, I wouldn't feel that I'd have any choice but to run with it. I'd give her every chance to back out, but if she wants to woohoo in the photo booth, I'll let her do it.

Only, it wouldn't be a woohoo it would be "Try for Baby," because she and Kevin aren't using birth control. The exception would be, if her partner were someone who has had his tubes tied, or who has been established in story as someone who is always prepared, then it'd be just "woohoo."

And the story would roll from there.

For those of you who do me the kindness of paying attention to what goes on in Drama Acres, I would like to assure you that, at present, there is no prospect of Heather cheating with anybody. As far as I can tell, she's over that phase. But she is a ditz, and she has a history, and I have formed a contingency plan in case of backsliding which, in the absence of any real activity in my game right now, bobbed to my head as a fair example. It isn't at all likely, anyhow - if nothing else, working on that "marry off six kids" LTW of hers never leaves her alone in the house!

Haha true! Well, I do like to spoil my sims. I do hope that this new young adult I made, a pixie named Bluebell(she has light blue skin and extremely light blue/blond hair), will be able to live with being a witch and perhaps a vampire later on. Probably not a werewolf though, but I may get her abducted because I have a no alien sexism mod. Will hafta see what her babies will look like but I think I'd rather give her a cute husband from one of the social class townies XD

BTW she wants to send three kids to college heheh I think that could be arranged! But I think next time I get a sim who starts out with the want to have a golden anniversary, I would probably reroll the wants for something more short-term but somewhat safe, like raising lots of puppies and kittens. What can I say? Kitties are cute!

Also, funny thing is, my Claire Ursine(sims 2 version) has no problem with being a witch, but she does seem to be averse to casting good spells. Wonder what the niceness threshold for that fear is! She is three points nice and extremely shy, but I just want her to be hot-headed - not mean!
Scholar
#16 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 2:45 AM
I try to fulfill wants as much as I can, as I like the LTA platinum state. Especially in an apocalypse--but then, what can you fulfill? Nope, sorry, you may not buy a shower or a stove, could you please want something else?

That said, while I don't go out of my way to fulfill fears, as I don't go out of my way to kill sims, it happens sometimes.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 3:20 AM
Whether a sim goes to college or not they all get from toddler up 4 want locks so I can track it that way. The only one I totally dismiss outright is "read to" because i can't stand that. My sims are busy enough in their lives they can't take the time out unless it's a dedicated unemployed family sim. But even then i'll ignore it because there's just not enough sim hours in a child's life to do homework eat, raise the fun bar, and then sleep. And i've done the 10 kid want a couple of times it's pretty fun. I haven't tried the pet one yet, but I may yet because I need a challenge. Fears are hit or miss I could care less about them.

The one thing I hate is completing LTW due to the constant white bar that never reveals your sims needs correctly. Only in certain cases, mostly elders who have a LTW that coincides with their character will it ever be completed.
Scholar
#18 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 3:42 AM
I try to fulfill wants unless I deem them stupid or asinine. For example I've got a popularity Sim that already has 30 best friends yet he rolls a want to make friends with everyone he speaks with. Since he and his wife run 3 businesses right now every want is to be friends with some townie that he sold something to. Very annoying and he doesn't need any more friends so I simply don't fulfill them. Eventually he starts rolling other wants again that do get fulfilled although funny enough at one of their businesses they have a teen stock boy as their only employee. The minute they step foot on the lot Arthur rolls a want to fire him, every single time. The kid has done nothing to deserve this and is a pretty good stock boy so no I don't fulfill that want, I am somewhat curious as to his animosity towards the stock boy in the first place though I have to admit.

I hardly even look at the fears as I never deliberately try to fulfill them and the one's that do get fulfilled are usually the low scoring ones anyway. Hey sometimes stuff happens and you have to change a dirty diaper or use a public restroom, get over it all ready. I have occasionally hit a couple of big ones with relatives dying but there was little I could do about that either. That's another want that never gets fulfilled, someone coming back as a zombie, so not going to happen while I'm the one in charge.

Getting stuck by lighting is another one that I don't fulfill...well unless they've really been getting on my nerves or it might happen by accident. I do usually try to go with fulfilling relationship wants with the exception of family Sims. The minute they fall in love with what is probably going to be their future spouse they roll a want to fall in love with someone else. Typically it's the Sim they had either their first date (regardless if it was good or bad), kiss or love relationship with. If it only happened on occasion I might think about fulfilling them but every single family Sim I've ever had has done the exact same thing. The only exceptions are the ones that have only had one romantic relationship in their entire lives and those are very few and far between.

I do try very hard to fulfill lifetime wants the only one I won't play is the 20 puppies/kittens as I simply don't want that many pets in the hood that need to find homes. I'm not fond of the marry off six children one but within the right story line I will go with it.
Scholar
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 3:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashfan
I try to fulfill wants unless I deem them stupid or asinine. For example I've got a popularity Sim that already has 30 best friends yet he rolls a want to make friends with everyone he speaks with. Since he and his wife run 3 businesses right now every want is to be friends with some townie that he sold something to. Very annoying and he doesn't need any more friends so I simply don't fulfill them. Eventually he starts rolling other wants again that do get fulfilled although funny enough at one of their businesses they have a teen stock boy as their only employee. The minute they step foot on the lot Arthur rolls a want to fire him, every single time. The kid has done nothing to deserve this and is a pretty good stock boy so no I don't fulfill that want, I am somewhat curious as to his animosity towards the stock boy in the first place though I have to admit.

I hardly even look at the fears as I never deliberately try to fulfill them and the one's that do get fulfilled are usually the low scoring ones anyway. Hey sometimes stuff happens and you have to change a dirty diaper or use a public restroom, get over it all ready. I have occasionally hit a couple of big ones with relatives dying but there was little I could do about that either. That's another want that never gets fulfilled, someone coming back as a zombie, so not going to happen while I'm the one in charge.

Getting stuck by lighting is another one that I don't fulfill...well unless they've really been getting on my nerves or it might happen by accident. I do usually try to go with fulfilling relationship wants with the exception of family Sims. The minute they fall in love with what is probably going to be their future spouse they roll a want to fall in love with someone else. Typically it's the Sim they had either their first date (regardless if it was good or bad), kiss or love relationship with. If it only happened on occasion I might think about fulfilling them but every single family Sim I've ever had has done the exact same thing. The only exceptions are the ones that have only had one romantic relationship in their entire lives and those are very few and far between.

I do try very hard to fulfill lifetime wants the only one I won't play is the 20 puppies/kittens as I simply don't want that many pets in the hood that need to find homes. I'm not fond of the marry off six children one but within the right story line I will go with it.

Haha in my custom hood, Matthew Decker, my first settler, wants to raise 20 puppies or kittens. I had the former head witch, Alana Presley, buy two kitties which had a litter of adorable kittens(they're very different but their kittens are long-haired silver tabbies - part colour-point custom Persian and part Ocicat. I'm fulfilling this want because darnit I love kitties! Also, Matthew is a werewolf and he doesn't have the want to be cured, but he also dun like it when other werewolves howl. I, however, do. Besides that I have a mod which makes it so it won't make Matthew totally grouchy - the personality change will stop after 20 transformations. Same with Alana. She will still be sweet as pie, as will her boyfriend, Willard.
Inventor
#20 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:38 AM
I think I'm too kind. I want my simmies to be happy, I don't really inflict drama into their lives, so most of their wants and LTW's are usually always fulfilled.
And instead making my sloppy sims change nappies, just wait for the kid to poop himself then shove him in the sink. With love, of course. <:
Scholar
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnfly
I think I'm too kind. I want my simmies to be happy, I don't really inflict drama into their lives, so most of their wants and LTW's are usually always fulfilled.
And instead making my sloppy sims change nappies, just wait for the kid to poop himself then shove him in the sink. With love, of course. <:

Beh. Had that problem with Lazlo Curious, and even a few other sims I had made. I'd just make them deal with it. I hated having to make Lazlo change nappies but hey, nappies gotta be changed and I didn't want him to just have someone else do his dirty work.
Theorist
#22 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 5:51 AM
Changing diapers and death of a relatives were the only fears that got filled when I could play Sims 2. There were plenty of times Titania Summerdream or Lazlo Curious had the fear of changing diapers, but I made them change the diapers anyway. I wanted to take care of the baby. There is no way to avoid the death of a relative, so I saw no way to avoid them taking a hit when a relative died of old age.

Otherwise I did fill all their wants except for the ones I thought were ridiculous such as the Family Sims have 10 children want. I mean you can't take care of the one you have I'm not going to let you have 10.
Inventor
#23 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 6:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDacapo
Beh. Had that problem with Lazlo Curious, and even a few other sims I had made. I'd just make them deal with it. I hated having to make Lazlo change nappies but hey, nappies gotta be changed and I didn't want him to just have someone else do his dirty work.

Well at least it's not as bad as the fear of the pets scratching something. >.>

Sim goes to work in great mood, happily fulfilled, comes home and hugs a bag of flour and cries. -.-
Scholar
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 6:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orilon
Changing diapers and death of a relatives were the only fears that got filled when I could play Sims 2. There were plenty of times Titania Summerdream or Lazlo Curious had the fear of changing diapers, but I made them change the diapers anyway. I wanted to take care of the baby. There is no way to avoid the death of a relative, so I saw no way to avoid them taking a hit when a relative died of old age.

Otherwise I did fill all their wants except for the ones I thought were ridiculous such as the Family Sims have 10 children want. I mean you can't take care of the one you have I'm not going to let you have 10.

If I have a family sim who can care for his/her children, then yeah I will. Nervous Subject for example - he's a fantastic parent. Cared for not only his own alien-spawn baby, but also Loki and Circe's children. Mind you he flipped out a couple times during his pregnancy and was often miserable, but was able to care for all three children while the Beakers were at work. So yeah, I do encourage him to breed. Plus, he does have nice genes.
Scholar
#25 Old 4th Apr 2012 at 10:53 AM
For most of my sims, I fulfill their wants within reason... though there have been some stand-offs. The worst one was the Great Encouragement Want Standoff that occurred when the Subject twins became kids. Nervous was apparently hellbent on encouraging Grimhild to be more like him personality-wise and absolutely would not roll any wants except encouragement ones for her. As the days went on (I play with aging off for long stretches), his aspiration meter went from green to red... but he still wouldn't roll anything else but those same wants. Since I'm a softie that didn't want to see him play with a flour sack instead of his kids, I caved and let him encourage her to be sloppier. Things went back to normal after that (and I doubt Grimhild even misses that one lonely neat point).

As far as my Romance sims go, I let them chase after whoever they want as long as the target isn't in an exclusive relationship, engaged, or married. The same holds true for Fortune sim Ajay Loner, who's going to be in for one heck of a slap-filled life when his various romances find out about each other.

I try to keep from fulfilling the fears, though sometimes it is unavoidable. I've found that sloppy sims can avoid the diaper-change while still taking care of their babies by bathing the baby. The diaper still registers as dirty, but the baby's hygiene is brought back up to full. (And I agree with those who say that Lazlo and Nervous are both fantastic parents. Lazlo only had one biological kid in my game -- though he practically raised his brothers' alien kids and helped raise Crystal's daughter Ruby from her first marriage, as well as Crystal's ex-husband's alien kid Uncanny -- and Nervous had five biological kids and would have had more if he hadn't started rolling "have a baby" fears during Frieda's last pregnancy. Those fears would roll away as soon as he held his second daughter Difficult, but it was still an indication that Grimuara would be the final one.)

My CC creations, updated January 15, 2014.

My Simblr
Page 1 of 2

Section jump