Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 972 (Who?), Viewed: 92104 times.
Page 39 of 39
Lab Assistant
#951 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 1:48 PM
I can't cook, but I love to eat! I think I'll try bobotie tonight, a traditional South African dish!
Instructor
#952 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 4:14 PM Last edited by pizza : 19th Nov 2014 at 5:06 PM.
I'm back in the big wide world now on my own, no mumma to help with (well, do) my cooking so I have marinated the chicken for my fave peri peri. I am so hoping I have done it right - whenever I am adventurous with my cooking on my own I always fail disastrously! It sucks really because I wish I was a confident cooker. My first student meal here was horrendous - pink sausages!! Even chicken curry is always iffy for me as some of the chicken burns or doesn't cook! At least chicken nuggets and fish fingers only have to be popped on a baking tray in the oven at 180 for about 20 minutes! No vital prep work or complications! I don't think I was a chef in my past life.

I hope you had a lovely birthday Gabrymato! Your food looked lovely!

This is not the greatest signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute.
Scholar
#953 Old 19th Nov 2014 at 9:30 PM
I'm attempting gluten free meatballs!

Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world.

Lab Assistant
#954 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 5:56 AM
I boiled fettuccine and made a sauce out of corn soup mix, a bit of sugar, corn kernels, and fried garlic. Will be having that for lunch with my brother.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#955 Old 20th Nov 2014 at 9:22 AM
Ok, I cheated, but sometimes I crave boxed macaroni and cheese, so I made that. Then I sauteed fresh spinach leaves in olive oil and garlic. All together, it hit the spot.

" Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." -Dalai Lama
Forum Resident
#956 Old 21st Nov 2014 at 3:44 PM
I haven't made this yet, but I think hubby would enjoy it as part of his birthday.

The best part will be the conversation about said dinner.

Hubby- What's for dinner?
Me- Butt
Hubby-
Me- Boston Butt

Then I may or may not explain that pork butt does not actually come from the butts of pigs. It's part of the shoulder.

"I'm afraid many of the problems with "The Sims 4" are mortal sins that probably cannot be remedied and won't be forgiven by many long time Sims fans." ~Elder-Geek.com TS4 Review~
Theorist
#957 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 6:06 PM
20-bean soup, with oxtail; the onions are already making the house smell like yum. I'll make honey cornbread. It's finally started raining in Sacramento - maybe the drought is over. But gloomy for days gets me down. Now if I can only resist baking goodies...

ignorance is not stupididity
Mad Poster
#958 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 6:22 PM
Is that 20 beans total or 20 different types (joke)? Tomorrow, Sunday and cooking day, I am making mushroom soup for lunch and fish pie for dinner. Plus extra bread - Him Indoors seems to be going through a loaf a day atm.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#959 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 7:46 PM
Tonight I am being lazy and having spaghetti with butter and cheese... and ketchup

I know it sounds crazy but I don't use the ketchup as a sauce, just as a dip. The sweetness contrasts really well with the savoury buttery cheesy pasta. Mmmmmm.

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Forum Resident
#960 Old 22nd Nov 2014 at 8:52 PM
Sadly since I've been away at school I haven't been able to cook much of anything, but I did make these tiramisu cupcakes for my sister's birthday last weekend, and my friend helped me. We used boxed vanilla cupcake mix, strong coffee, packaged cream cheese frosting, and pre shaved chocolate bits. They turned out really well actually even with our improvisations, and everyone that tried them, including my sister, loved them. Success

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Theorist
#961 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 5:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Is that 20 beans total or 20 different types (joke)? Tomorrow, Sunday and cooking day, I am making mushroom soup for lunch and fish pie for dinner. Plus extra bread - Him Indoors seems to be going through a loaf a day atm.

haha it's a mix of ...10? different beans, split peas. Fish PIE?

ignorance is not stupididity
Mad Poster
#962 Old 23rd Nov 2014 at 5:59 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd Nov 2014 at 6:09 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammapat
Fish PIE?

I don't think this is an American thing. It's a UK thing and also, so I am told, a Portuguese thing and there's a similar (though not the same) Russian version.

Smoked haddock and/or other tasty fish (prawns are also good though they get put in at the end and are not poached).
Poach in a little milk - drain.
Use milk to make a white sauce.
Boil and mash potatoes.
Boil an egg or two till hard boiled.

Combine as follows;
Fish/fishy-type things (broken-up), egg (sliced using that slicer thing in both directions - so you get smallish pieces) and sauce in bottom of a casserole pan
Smashed pots make a topping (nice piped or fork-ridged)
Sprinkle tasty cheese on top (cheddar, naturally)

Put in oven and roast till top toasts

Consume with relish - very good and comforting on cold dark nights such as this one. Nice with peas and baked tomatos (which is what we're having). You can add other stuff too if you like, such as leeks or spring (green) onions in the potatoes. Wiki is surprisingly accurate on this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_pie

Mushroom soup, BTW, was very good (so reliable anyway) and I have made all my bread today for the week. So, once the pie is done, I will have had a very productive cooking day.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Field Researcher
#963 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellasaurus
Tonight I am being lazy and having spaghetti with butter and cheese... and ketchup

*praying for your sins*

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#964 Old 24th Nov 2014 at 7:31 PM
@Gabrymato I know, I know - shame on me Even more shame on me as I have Italian roots! I make up for it by going full on gourmet everything from scratch when I make proper bolognese - I even peel and chop the tomatoes - no tinned for me!

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Lab Assistant
#965 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 5:56 AM
I turned tinned tuna into a sandwich filling with chopped onions. Making pork-potato-carrot soup later for dinner.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#966 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 10:31 AM
Tinned tuna is actually very good when mixed with chopped pineapple, celery, and either a creamy Caesar dressing (not too much) or a little mayonnaise. A friend of mine from Puerto Rico turned me onto the tuna/pineapple combo. The pineapple compliments the tuna in unexpected ways.

Lab Assistant
#967 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 11:14 AM
So that's why tuna pizza tastes better with baked pineapples! I can't exactly use mayo, as someone in the house really dislikes raw egg products. As for the soup, I ended up keeping that for tomorrow.
Forum Resident
#968 Old Yesterday at 10:14 PM
What's this?! No Thanksgiving feasts?! Come on people, I wanted to come on here and see all the delicious autumn banquets that people all over were preparing! Delicious smells of baking turkey, boiling maple syrup & yams, crystallizing brown sugar and cinnamon, buttery mashed potatoes piping-hot apple pies, savory stuffings, thick, rich gravy, and all the other delicousness that this day should inspire!

Let's go folks! Chop chop! Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#969 Old Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Oh, you're funny Zarathustra? Are you cooking?

My son is going to town. We're visiting him this Thanksgiving and he's making little Cornish hens for himself and his friend, and a roasted squash lasagna for the vegetarians (with goat cheese), a salad of pomegranate, arugula, and apple, and he's already baked two small loaves of bread and a toll house cookie pie with pecans. There's also spaghetti squash as a side. I was happy enough last time when he made me pizza and we had margaritas and tortilla chips, but there's company this time so it's somewhat of a bigger deal.

Forum Resident
#970 Old Today at 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerDeTerre
Oh, you're funny Zarathustra? Are you cooking?

Of course! Everything I listed there (turkey's stuffed with cornbread & rosemary stuffing) , plus a pecan pie, green bean casserole (with FRESH ingredients- none of this prepackaged nonsense! I have high standards for green bean casserole!), fresh-baked sourdough rolls, cranberry-cherry salad, and of course a selection of Italian wines and sparklers to drink.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
staff: moderator
#971 Old Today at 1:27 AM
Hey now! I was cooking and visiting with family, so I wasn't anywhere near my computer!

Turkey (no stuffing/dressing in it, but I do coat the inside with a butter and herb mix and stick some celery and onion in there), stuffing/dressing, baby red mashed potatoes, green bean casserole. Guess that's all that was actually home made or cooked at home. We also had apple and pumpkin pies, rolls, cranberry sauce (whole berry, yum) and some relish trays. There was supposed to be sweet potatoes (whole potatoes.. just baked and served as is) but I kind of forgot all about them. It seems like we forget something every holiday, every single year. But that's okay with me. I love a baked sweet potato with a bit of butter for a meal or a snack so they'll get eaten eventually.

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Lab Assistant
#972 Old Today at 7:34 AM
I'd cook something for Thanksgiving day/week, but as it happened, my birthday's on Black Friday this year, so the only raw ingredient I bought to cook was codfish. The other food I bought was already cooked.

I'll steam that cod with ginger and garlic.
Forum Resident
#973 Old Today at 8:13 AM
Yesterday I made some gingerbread men cookies, which I unfortunately burned most of them but they were still pretty good. I'd originally intended to make the gingerbread frosting too, but then I got tired and just slathered on some packaged cream cheese stuff. Between my mom, my sister, and I, most of the cookies are gone today...

As for Thanksgiving, I didn't contribute anything (I'm still young enough that I don't have to). But we had turkey, ham, cheesy potato casserole, broccoli and cauliflower salad, kale salad, lettuce salad, corn muffins, bread, cranberry "fluff", sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie, and raspberry pie. Also sparkling cider

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Page 39 of 39

Section jump