Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 867 (Who?), Viewed: 88827 times.
Page 35 of 35
Field Researcher
#851 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:51 AM
I'm baking that half pumpkin I saved from the other day and I'm about to make a pumpkin pie. It seems like an easy recipe but I am kind of nervous, I hope it comes out good. I'm thinking about adding some cardamom and nutmeg to the pumpkin filling to spice it up a bit. I will upload a pic if it doesn't totally suck.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#852 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 10:46 AM
I made some Milo Cookies, but instead of Milo, I used coconut

Prisonercellblockhworld
Formerly daniandan
Call me Gaff
My 3DS Friend Code: 0834-0637-4136
Instructor
#853 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 6:21 PM
Mum gave me 20 (from my birthday in July ) so when my other-half gets home, I'm going to try and convince him to have pizza with me from this awesome place called Pizza GoGo (like the best pizza ever, and I have SED! :p).

If he feels too sicky from the hot weather though, I'll still be having pizza, but just from the freezer instead - classic cheese & tomato but with hotdogs in the crust! My latest favourite. Times like these, I'm glad I didn't go veggie with my other-half!
Beautiful Dinosaur
#854 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 6:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrymato
I'm baking that half pumpkin I saved from the other day and I'm about to make a pumpkin pie. It seems like an easy recipe but I am kind of nervous, I hope it comes out good. I'm thinking about adding some cardamom and nutmeg to the pumpkin filling to spice it up a bit. I will upload a pic if it doesn't totally suck.

Lots of nutmeg I love nutmeg! How did it turn out? It sounds super yummy.

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Scholar
#855 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrymato

Opinions about spices vary. They're all in the allspice-nutmeg-cinnamon-molasses branch of the family, so I guess cardamom should work, but cinnamon especially. Some people like so much spice that the pumpkin becomes essentially just a medium for delivering spices, but I like less than that. A store-bought pie will usually be toward the spicy end of the spectrum and might even have ginger (which I love in other situations, but not in a pumpkin pie.)

Good luck! Story time: The main thing I got wrong on my first several pumpkin pies was the texture, since it's basically a custard pie and I needed some practice to get it smooth. If I overcooked the pumpkin, too much water would separate, so I could bake the pie until the eggs curdled and it still wouldn't be right. But! canned pumpkin puree is available where I live, so I no longer have to demolish entire pumpkins. On the other hand, there are other winter squashes that don't get pureed and canned, like turban squash, that also make very good pies and can be worth the considerable torque that you need to put on a very strong knife blade to force them to yield. YMMV a lot of sources say turban squash is weak in flavor and you ought to try something else. I suspect they may be overcooking it -- my experience is that it makes at least as good a pumpkin pie as pumpkins do.

Ronnie de Noube / Blog and Comic: http://ronniethesim.com
Do you like tea? Go and like this tea & antique shop of Nymphetamine's cute uncle.
Squee if you love Fenton
Field Researcher
#856 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 6:21 PM
@Bellasaurus & @r-deNoube it turned out ok. The crust was somewhat soggy (even though the regular flour-water-fat crust is something I NEVER get right) and the filling was too spicy :/ Basically it was just nutmeg. It tasted like bechamel rather than pumpkin, but even though it was eatable, I know next time I will do better.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
staff: moderator
#857 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 11:57 PM
/me moves in with Zarathustra... and gains a.lot of weight

I did get to make the lasagna I'd been wanting. And it was good. BUT- I made vegetable beef soup for tonight. And damn, it.was.mmmmm.mmmm.GOOD! Well worth the (almost) 8 hours it took to make. I think I've outdone myself for the week and should make nothing but store bought frozen stuff for the rest of the week!

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Forum Resident
#858 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 3:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
/me moves in with Zarathustra... and gains a.lot of weight

You may want to reconsider that, in light of the fact that dinner tonight was a frozen pizza!

Still, frozen pizza makes me happy- my family would always do pizza-and-a-movie nights on Fridays as I was growing up, and since Grand Canyon was a million miles from everywhere (it's closer than that now) that meant frozen pizza and Netflix. Well, this season, Wednesdays are my Friday- and I still have Netflix... Tradition can make even cheap premade food taste good!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Beautiful Dinosaur
#859 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 11:45 AM
Today I will be slow cooking lamb shanks in another of my wedding presents - you guessed it - a slow cooker :P

I do them in lamb stock with lots of garlic and oregano and a squeeze of lemon. Kind of like kleftico only without the potatoes because stupidly I forgot to buy any. We'll have them with rice instead which actually works quite well as the yummy stock gets soaked in to the rice when it's all on the dish.

Scholar
#860 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 2:15 AM
Opah tonight. It is a pretty fish inside & out, and the meat is something like tuna but milder. They don't swim in schools so there's no good way to catch them on purpose, but they sometimes travel with tuna and get caught along with them, so they show up in stores once in a great while.

(l. to r.: Opah, fisherman.)
Screenshots

Do you like tea? Go and like this tea & antique shop of Nymphetamine's cute uncle.
Squee if you love Fenton
Instructor
#861 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 11:08 PM
I'd eat it. Looks tasty!
Made sausage and lentil soup for supper tonight. Eve actually loved it, probably because it tasted like sausage haha. But it was really tasty. Next time I really need to measure the lentils though. Sucked up all my broth.
Field Researcher
#862 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 1:18 AM
Soft tacos. First time I've had soft tacos, I usually make the crunchy shell ones.
It was okay, I kinda missed the crunchy shell.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Forum Resident
#863 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 2:31 AM
Thick, center-cut steak, marinated in a honey-mustard and garlic blend for the last 24 hours, pan-seared, then topped with some thin slices of red onion and stir-fried garlic cloves. Green beans almondine for a side, a salad of the veggies that are ready to harvest from my garden (lots of that over the last few days ), fresh-baked sourdough bread. Looking forward to a glass of Jameson and a slice of German-Chocolate Cake for dessert in another few minutes...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Mad Poster
#864 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:29 AM
I mixed an energy drink in a frozen coke, does that count

Prisonercellblockhworld
Formerly daniandan
Call me Gaff
My 3DS Friend Code: 0834-0637-4136
Scholar
#865 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 3:54 AM
Oh my goodness, you're eating well, Zara!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Jameson... for dessert

Pardon my ignorance, but do you mean Jameson the Irish whiskey? My tummy feels warm just thinking.

Squee if you love Fenton
staff: moderator
#866 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 4:43 AM
That's it. *packs bags and moves in with Zarathustra* :D

So far I've stuck to the frozen foods- although it was just 1 night really: frozen enchilladas. I couldn't make up my mind which to get, so I got steak and chicken. Meh. I'll stick to making my own from now on.. which is another all day thing. But mine are so much better. Tonight was left overs, nothing particularly interesting. (Left over soup and I ate the last 2 enchilladas.)

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Beautiful Dinosaur
#867 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 6:41 PM
Lazy food tonight for my hubby and me - Sausage, egg and chips

Today is our Monday (we both work Sat - Wed with Thu/Fri as the weekend) so we never feel like cooking properly!

Lab Assistant
#868 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 8:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellasaurus
Lazy food tonight for my hubby and me - Sausage, egg and chips

Today is our Monday (we both work Sat - Wed with Thu/Fri as the weekend) so we never feel like cooking properly!

Sausage egg and chips is a lovely dinner! I'm probably going to be eating a lot of that when I move to uni next week

EAT SLEEP SIMS REPEAT
Page 35 of 35

Section jump