Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 1733 (Who?), Viewed: 119231 times.
Page 70 of 70
Theorist
#1726 Old 10th Feb 2016 at 10:40 AM
I made the most amazing cheesecake a few days ago. It had oreos as the base, and I had swirled in some nutella to give the cake a nice marble effect. I swear to god it was the best thing I've ever eaten, it was lovely - plus I made so much of it! I had the last slice last night, but now me and my fiance are craving more.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Top Secret Researcher
#1727 Old Yesterday at 1:52 AM
I've been trying for a while to get the oven method of hard-boiling eggs right, because the normal recipe overcooks them with my oven. Finally got it working and I enjoyed a perfect hard-boiled egg. Next up, oven-baked deviled eggs!

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1728 Old Yesterday at 3:34 AM
That seems like a lot of energy, in the form of heat, to hard boil eggs. Any reason you chose the oven over the stove top?

Just how off-topic can you be? Come find out here.

I was thanked in a thread - do I get a badge now?
Top Secret Researcher
#1729 Old Yesterday at 3:37 AM
Because the stove completely sucks. Plus, we don't have anything that will safely put eggs in and take them out of a pot of water without cracking them.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1730 Old Yesterday at 3:47 AM
I have stove issues, so I get that. As for cracking eggs, they usually don't crack if you put them in the pan first, add cold water, heat to a boil, and take off the heat for about 20 minutes, then run under cold water.

What temperature for the oven and do you put them in water or do you bake/roast them?

Top Secret Researcher
#1731 Old Yesterday at 3:56 AM
I don't mean cracking during cooking, I mean that I have to drop them in and out of the water - especially the hot water - and the egg ends up hitting the bottom and cracking.

For the oven, the recipe I found was a dry bake - you can put them directly on the rack if you want, though you can also put them in a muffin tin. The recipe said to do 30 minutes at 325 to 350. However, my oven runs hot, so I have to do 275 for 25 minutes. Took a few tries to figure that out. However, it comes out far better than any of my boiled eggs ever have - so easy to peel that it practically slides off instead of chipping at the shell for a few minutes.

Top Secret Researcher
#1732 Old Yesterday at 3:58 AM
I think VDT is getting at the fact that, depending on how you prepare them, you don't actually have to drop the eggs at all- you can put them in the pan first, fill it with water, boil it, let it cool, and drain it, and then take the eggs out once they're cool. I'm kind of surprised that you can even do them in an oven though... I may have to try that, just to see if there's a noticeable difference!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Top Secret Researcher
#1733 Old Yesterday at 4:03 AM
I don't really like the idea of leaving the eggs for that long in warm water. Plus, I'm lazy.

It might take a few tries to figure out where exactly the oven temperature needs to be and how long to cook. My first few batches were extremely rubbery on the outsides, though the yolks were cooked very well. I lowered the heat and shortened the time and it worked. I'd recommend putting one egg in when you're baking something else at that temperature, if you can, so you're not wasting a whole batch of eggs if they're cooked wrong, and you don't turn the oven on for a single egg.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1734 Old Yesterday at 4:11 AM
A roasted egg is part of Passover. I think I made one once myself, but I don't remember actually eating it afterwards. It probably went in when something else was baking.

Page 70 of 70