Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 823 (Who?), Viewed: 87724 times.
Page 33 of 33
Top Secret Researcher
#801 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 8:42 PM
Made smoothie with mango, lemon juice, strawberries, a little bit of orange juice, blueberries, raspberries, and maybe some banana. Yummy!
Field Researcher
#802 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 9:16 PM
Made a batch of huge chocolate cupcakes with chunks of milk chocolate to celebrate that I just registered for my last term at uni. Feels absolutely surreal that I'll soon be done with four long years of academic studies.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#803 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 5:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrymato
I do agree with you about ratatouille, it's delicious and easy to make. We have our own ratatouille in my country, it's called caponata and it's basically the same thing but much more Mediterranean. Olives, herbs, pine nuts sometimes.
I like how you season your roasted eggplant (I said grilled in one of my previous posts. Is grilled an acceptable verb for this action? ), I usually mix parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt an pepper and make a poor man's salsa verde.

Right now I'm waiting for my cherry bomb peppers (but is this their real name?) to dry up. We cooked them yesterday in water and vinegar, and they are ready to be stuffed with anchovies, tuna and capers, then stored in a jar filled with olive oil. My mouth is watering just thinking about those delicious mini treats.

I hadn't thought of caponata as an Italian style of ratatouille, but you're right, it is similar in many ways. There's enough of a difference that it's worth making each

Grilled or roasted eggplant is good. Grilling is usually done over an open flame and roasting is a slow method of cooking in an oven.

The peppers sound yummy. I want to visit your house!

Wisdom is found in the paradox
Field Researcher
#804 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 7:27 PM Last edited by Mammal : 12th Aug 2014 at 7:49 PM.
Oh man, I will at least try most vegetables (I'm a recovering picky eater) but eggplant is just blegh. Granted, I've only had it a few times, but the texture is unforgivable.

Right now, I'm making soup. I wanted to make Dal, which is an Indian lentil soup, but I didn't have the mustard seed, tumeric, or green pepper that most recipes were calling for, so I kind of improvised. The soup is onions and red lentils, seasoned with garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, and celery seed. The broth is chicken stock and about a teaspoon and a half of tahini paste--I'll let you know how it turns out. Yummy, I'm hoping, because I'm starving rn. The broth is, at least, a really pretty color, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

EDIT: Okay, the soup is a'ight, but it definitely needs some color. I wish I had some cilantro and that green chili pepper. Next time I might add some tomato and red onion. Also, it is vastly improved by the addition of Sriracha. It's not really Dal any more, either. Sort of an Indian/Mexican/Vietnamese infusion thing going on here. It's good I like it, because I don't know if anyone else will and there's a ton of it leftover.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Field Researcher
#805 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 8:05 PM
Huge piece of fresh haddock with lemon, dill, and butter. I am so excited!
staff: moderator
#806 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 8:37 PM
@Mimoliin - I have to ask: are those cupcake liners? I've never seen any like that and would buy them in a heartbeat if I saw them. (Those cupcakes look awesomely good, btw.)

Since I've been craving a hamburger, that's what we're going to have tonight. Along with coleslaw and some BBQ french fries. I'm cheating for the whole meal: pre-made hamburger patties (since I can't stand touching raw meat I always get pre-made patties- with the waxed paper between each one I don't HAVE to touch them, lol), bagged coleslaw mix, bottled coleslaw dressing and the fries are frozen.. but it's still better than going to McDonalds.

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Field Researcher
#807 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 9:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
@Mimoliin - I have to ask: are those cupcake liners? I've never seen any like that and would buy them in a heartbeat if I saw them. (Those cupcakes look awesomely good, btw.)

@mustluvcatz

Thanks! :-) Yes, they are, from the company Toppits. This "model" is called Stora Muffinsformar; Large Cupcake liners.

They're buyable just about anywhere in Sweden, supermarkets, smaller kiosks, you name it, 24 liners /package.

Looking at Toppits webpage, it seems the company is only represented in Sweden, France and the Netherlands (I only get Swedish, French and Dutch language options).
staff: moderator
#808 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 10:00 PM
Thanks, @Mimoliin I get different country ("choose your country") options but it look like I'm out of luck, since I'm from the US and don't see them being available here. I'll have to do some digging around and see if I can find something like those here. What I really like about the ones you used is that you don't need a muffin pan. I hate cleaning muffin pans- even with liners I make a mess. I tried using the regular liners I have without a muffin pan once (I did put them in a small cake pan as I filled them, just packed them next to each other). Not the best idea since they're so flimsy, but I did end up with some interestingly shaped cupcakes. :D

BlogSpot
LJ
tumblr
Animated Fairy Lamp <---Latest Blog Download
Under The Stairs Storage Part 2 <---Latest tumblr Download
Forum Resident
#809 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 5:26 AM
My dad doesn't eat any desserts, really, but every year on his birthday he'll have pie. So every year I'll make an apple pie. This year I made this pie with this homemade crust. I haven't tried it myself yet, but my family assured me it was amazing. My sister texted me and said it "tasted like salvation," so I'll accept that feedback! I followed the advice of some reviewers on the pie's recipe and used a tablespoon of vanilla extract and added a tablespoon of water, and also added a half teaspoon of nutmeg and a teaspoon of cinnamon to the apple mixture. I didn't do the lattice crust, because that's a little too challenging, but it still tastes just as good with a regular old pie crust. Neither the pie nor the crust were too challenging and it only took me a couple hours to do. I'll definitely keep the recipes and use them next year!

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Instructor
#810 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 2:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustluvcatz
Thanks, @Mimoliin I get different country ("choose your country") options but it look like I'm out of luck, since I'm from the US and don't see them being available here. I'll have to do some digging around and see if I can find something like those here. What I really like about the ones you used is that you don't need a muffin pan. I hate cleaning muffin pans- even with liners I make a mess. I tried using the regular liners I have without a muffin pan once (I did put them in a small cake pan as I filled them, just packed them next to each other). Not the best idea since they're so flimsy, but I did end up with some interestingly shaped cupcakes. :D

You seriously can't find them? I thought those were pretty standard. But they are really good! I can sadly only find them in regular white, so the muffin pan is put to plenty use around here for the Christmas or other coloured ones.

I just made some left over spaghetti-potato-sausage mix, not very interesting, really. But I'm thinking about taking the last piece of the cheesecake I made the other day with fresh raspberries and peaches from the garden. There weren't too many raspberries (and it started raining while I was out there and I was wearing my dad's clogs, so I couldn't run to safety) but it was really good anyway. My parents loved it.

EDIT: Wow, a single googling proved me wrong on the muffin liner-thing. They can definitely be found in colours. The company Wilton has them, and they seem to actually only ship to the US.
Test Subject
#811 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 7:17 AM
I used a very good copycat recipe for Applebee's Bourbon Street Steak with mushrooms and onions and made some homemade beer-battered Cajun French fries with a bowl of strawberries and navel oranges for desert along with some fairly decent Hawaiian kona coffee.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#812 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 4:15 PM
I made a copycat Wendy's sandwich for breakfast. I've possibly mentioned this one before because it's a standard now. When I ate meat, I really loved their spicy chicken sandwiches. For those who don't have Wendy's near them or who never go there, it's a fast food chain. They specialize in square burgers.

Anyway, the spicy chicken sandwich - vegetarian style - starts with a Boca spicy tofu "chicken" patty. After that's cooked, it goes on a warm bun with a little Cain's mayo (I like Cain's, they don't add a lot of junk, it's just good ingredients), Wickles pickle relish (I like Wickles for the same reason I like Cains - good ingredients, no corn syrup), and Sriracha. I swear, Sriracha is magic sauce to me. I especially like the popular rooster brand because it's very garlicky.

Forum Resident
#813 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 12:22 AM
Recently I am trying to start this new diet called the Wahls Protocol that's supposed to help with multiple sclerosis especially but also all autoimmune and chronic diseases, including depression. So today for breakfast I had 1 cup of fresh green grapes, 2 cups of fresh strawberries, and 2 scrambled eggs. For lunch I had my 3 cups of romaine lettuce (although I didn't quite make it to 3 cups - I had about 2 1/2) as well as 3/4 of a red tomato and some balsamic vinaigrette. For dinner I made roasted chicken with a bit of coconut oil brushed on, garlic and parsley seasoning, dried basil leaves, and salt; roasted asparagus with drizzled coconut oil, salt, and black pepper (this turned out great); and sautéed yellow onions and garlic with coconut oil again. I also made oatmeal raisin breakfast cookies from chocolate covered katie. I'd made these before so this time I made a few tweaks to make them better. I used half as much peanut butter as the recipe called for, though I doubled the recipe, because last time I used the full amount and they were kind of icky (I'm not a real big peanut butter person, either). Then, I added an egg to make up the difference. I used mini chocolate chips instead of raisins. Other than that, I pretty much followed the recipe, using quick oats, applesauce, cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, and powdered stevia. I've been pretty cranky today, probably because it's my first day and the lack of carbs is getting to me, lol. Hopefully it will be better in time, and once I figure out what to eat so I'm not hungry all day.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Forum Resident
#814 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 10:12 PM
Today, in continuation of my paleo diet, I made a smoothie for breakfast. 2 cups romaine lettuce, 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, 2 cups fresh strawberries, and 2 frozen bananas. I've made green smoothies with spinach before where you could taste the spinach, but with lettuce it was undetectable, even with two cups! And this made just the right amount for a huge-size smoothie. I like to puree the lettuce with the coconut milk first and get it nice and liquefied before adding the strawberries and then the bananas last so it's blended evenly. I think this is the best green smoothie I have made thus far, even though it was a lovely pink color.

bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#815 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 11:50 PM
Lunch was an adult milk shake (cow's milk, almond milk, chocolate syrup, Kahlua, and vodka) and dinner is another spicy (fake tofu) chicken sandwich. I really need to get to the store.

Theorist
#816 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 4:13 AM
Found the perfect hair person; as she gave me a perm we talked about food. Trying to diet, wound up fixated on peach cobbler. Bought peaches; really good...but not cobbler.

ignorance is not stupididity
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#817 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 4:15 AM
Go, Pat! I need to follow your example. I've read that the more one exercises self-control, the better they get at it. If you think about it, the peaches really are the best part anyway.

Theorist
#818 Old 19th Aug 2014 at 7:10 PM Last edited by grammapat : 21st Aug 2014 at 3:14 AM. Reason: Even more adventures..
Husband left for 2 week cruise to Alaska (I gave up cruising---urp), and my immediately reverted to 6 years old; YAY I can eat junk! Like he had any affect on my eating. Funny, I remember one of the reasons I wanted to live with him was for his healthy habits. He eats what is good for his body, works out, etc. Well, THAT didn't work. It's only 11 am and I'm anxious to make Thai chicken (coconut milk and peanut sauce). Not really even hungry, but eating a crisp yellow sweet pepper. Toast, must have bagel and butter...
Self control? What's THAT? Trigger/action/reward - I do know the theory of habits, know I need to change the "action"... hard.

Dinner was lime potato chips and smoked oysters. Princess cat insisted on sharing the oysters, so I had a dinner partner. Now I'm having some pastry and a coke. O God, how the righteous have fallen! urp..

ignorance is not stupididity
Field Researcher
#819 Old 22nd Aug 2014 at 8:15 PM
I'm house sitting for my grandmother tonight & she took me out to buy a bunch groceries for tonight.

I'm super duper excited. I found a bunch of instant Asian food that I'm really excited to try. I'll edit this post once I've had the chance, but, I'm optimistic.

Queen of the Land of Typos.
Instructor
#820 Old 23rd Aug 2014 at 6:41 PM
Might make myself some savoury pancakes from scratch, to make myself feel better after my sisters awful visit
Instructor
#821 Old 24th Aug 2014 at 4:25 AM Last edited by Zarathustra : 24th Aug 2014 at 5:09 AM.
An entree pie filled with pork, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, applesauce as a binding agent/filling, and spiced with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cracked pepper. Makes me nervous, because while I'd hazard to call myself a good chef when it comes to stovetop cooking, this is quite literally the first thing I've tried to BAKE without following a recipe to the letter! (for the record, this is a meal that started as something completely different about, let me see, two-and-a-half hours ago, and evolved into what it is now!) It's in the oven now though... I guess all that's left is to wait and see! /is nervous

EDIT: I win at cooking today! This is delicious!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
Are you really surprised we lied about having cookies?
Of course you don't get a cookie!
Field Researcher
#822 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 7:58 AM
Made a full brunch for me and my bf yesterday. Honey pancakes, scrambled eggs with mushrooms and herbs, fried bacon, fruit salad and two nice glasses of mimosa. It might not seem a big deal but usually all I have for breakfast is a cup of coffee, so getting all this stuff done before noon was quite new to me.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#823 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 10:00 AM
Well, it sounded delicious Zarathustra. Some of the nicest cooking surprises come when you just put stuff together because it seems right.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Theorist
#824 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 6:19 PM
Sweet potato fries.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Page 33 of 33

Section jump