Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 2:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default I have a question about moving family to one neighborhood to another neighborhood.
Hi.

I have a question about moving family to one neighborhood to another neighborhood.

I know I have read this link: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:Moving_Sims, which tells about how to safely move.

But, I don't want to delete their previous memory, when I move the family to one neighborhood to another.

Is there safe way for me to achieve that?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 3:10 AM
There's no way to safely do what you're wanting to do. To leave their memories of sims from the old 'hood intact is to leave the corruption intact.

The best way to be able to move families from one neighborhood to another is to play a merged 'hood, like this DIY one here: http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Feb 2012 at 4:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
There's no way to safely do what you're wanting to do. To leave their memories of sims from the old 'hood intact is to leave the corruption intact.

The best way to be able to move families from one neighborhood to another is to play a merged 'hood, like this DIY one here: http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html

Oh, ok.
I was like thinking more like real life thingy.
I guess this is virtual world after all....
Maxis should have done what I wanted in the code base, when they made this game...
But oh well....
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 5:57 PM Last edited by ajy0903 : 8th Feb 2012 at 6:30 PM.
Mootilda, I just found this on this http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...elp:Moving_Sims .

Quote:
The Hard Way
If you would like to retain skills, job levels, relationships, etc. and move your sims as they are without remaking them, that is a heck of a lot harder than the easy way. This will require the use of SimPE, Clean Installer, and quite a bit of time and effort. This is not recommended unless you are extremely comfortable using SimPE.

This is what I wanted to do along.

Thanks Mootilda.

Also, thanks Darby for your help

Darby, when I say:
Quote:
I don't want to delete their previous memory, when I move the family to one neighborhood to another.

I meant this:
Quote:
have memories involving other sims that are living on the lot with them
Site Helper
#5 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 8:20 PM
I'm not quite sure why you directed your thanks to me, since Darby answered your questions. However...

You just need to be aware that following the "Hard Way" may result in a corrupt occupied lot, which will corrupt your new neighborhood. That's because SimPE doesn't display all of the records which contain invalid references, which means that there is no way to fix those references. For example, ModTheSims won't accept occupied lots, even if thoroughly cleaned, because they cannot be guaranteed to be safe.

If you decide to follow the "Hard Way", be sure to thoroughly test each occupied lot in a test neighborhood for a long time before adding it to a neighborhood that you care about.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 9:02 PM
Oh, ok.
What about empty lot?
Like put empty lot before I put sims (family) in?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Feb 2012 at 9:12 PM
Doing it that way requires that you move the sims with their lot, via the lot bin - so the "occupied lot" is just the lot which the family are on. You can't move them without using an occupied lot.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 12:04 AM
Oh, ok.
Let see....
What should I do then....
Best method to safely move Sim (family) to move from one neighborhood to another..
Site Helper
#9 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 12:09 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 9th Feb 2012 at 12:23 AM.
You already answered that in your first post:
Quote: Originally posted by ajy0903
this link: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:Moving_Sims, which tells about how to safely move.
Use the "Easy Way"... Extract your sims' appearances. Recreate your sims in CAS. Add back whatever is important to you using in-game cheats and SimPE: family ties, memories, skills, relationships, etc.

That is the best method to safely move your sims to a new neighborhood.

Perhaps you should be asking yourself why you want to move your sims to a new neighborhood? Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Is there another way to achieve your real goal?

For example, do you just want a different neighborhood terrain? That's possible without creating a new neighborhood.

Do you want your family to meet people in a different neighborhood? That may be possible by attaching your existing neighborhood to your new neighborhood as a subhood, as suggested by Darby above.

Or, are you trying to get rid of a corrupt neighborhood? If so, then the "Hard Way" is particularly likely to fail, and you really want to recreate your families from scratch.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 12:40 AM Last edited by ajy0903 : 9th Feb 2012 at 6:35 AM.
You asked me:
Quote:
Perhaps you should be asking yourself why you want to move your sims to a new neighborhood? Exactly what are you trying to accomplish? Is there another way to achieve your real goal?

1st, I want to get rid of corrupted neighborhood and make new one that doesn't get corrupted (safe proof neighborhood).

2nd, I want a same and/or different neighborhood terrain.

3rd, I want my Sim family to meet people in a different neighborhood

4th, I still wants to have university, vacation destination, shopping district, and downtown.

5th, also I want to keep maxis default jobs and college majors.
Hope you understood what I want.
Instructor
#11 Old 9th Feb 2012 at 5:38 PM
The best methode you can have to be sure that you can have a fresh start again, is to create your hoods empty and with all the details you need (uni, vacation, shops, downtowns, etc), decorations, favourite houses, commlots and keep a copy in a safe place. Empty hoods are easy to change identification numbers, so you can easily add one more before you delete one, or just replace it.
As to the sims, there's a boring methode that I use: I create a totally empty hood, use mods that doesn't allow spawning of NPCs, pets, nothing that can be contacted. Then you add an empty lot. Go to CAS and create a family using the models you like, with all the relationships you want. Save the family and move them in the empty lot you created. Name the lot the same as your new created family. As there's no one to contact them, you can skill them, improve their friendship, teach eventual kids to study, toddler skills, can have babies, whatever you feel like. Then you save and export the lot/family to the Packed Lots.
Delete the neighborhood and start another, do exactly the same with another created family. You can do this so many times you want.
When you are done, quit the game and extract the families you packed to the Teleport folder. When you launch the game again, you'll have the same families with all their relationships intact that you may place in which neighborhood you want. The advantage is that, if you want to have them again, just quit the game and extract the packed families one more time. You will have the same set and can even use them in the same neighborhood you placed the previous extract. All the elements will get a new game ID and won't conflict. This is the safest you can use for your goal.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 12:00 AM
oh, ok xptl297, then lets say I do like what you and other people said.

Then I can make my sim have job?

Cause I want my sims to have career or community lot or home business lot business.

And for the kids, I want them to marry and have baby also and other stuffs.

And what will be happen if I delete characters in character folder in my document from the neighborhood folder?

Will the game actually re create those characters that are deleted from neighborhood?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 12:34 AM
As the instructions say, "the hard way" allows you to keep careers. You can't keep community lots or friends/family who live on other lots, since they won't exist in the new neighbourhood.

If you delete character files, the game will not recreate them and your neighbourhood will become corrupted.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 12:51 AM Last edited by ajy0903 : 10th Feb 2012 at 1:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
As the instructions say, "the hard way" allows you to keep careers. You can't keep community lots or friends/family who live on other lots, since they won't exist in the new neighbourhood.

If you delete character files, the game will not recreate them and your neighbourhood will become corrupted.

Oh, ok.
So, after I do hard way and what others have mentioned, can I create/add back the community lots or friends/family if I extracted and packaged them?
And also after all that, what if I make relationship with sim who don't live with this sim/family?
Will this create corruption again?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
As we've explained over and over again, if you use the "Hard Way", the likelihood of corruption is very high.

It seems that you're determined to use the "Hard Way", but we're never going to tell you that it's safe, no matter how often you ask.

Ehh.....
No, I'm not.
I'm just asking what will happen.
"I'm currently extracting sims using SimPE of whom I have sim as family."
Like some default family sims, I'm currently extracting their files for CAS.
Site Helper
#16 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 3:28 AM
This is the most complete guide that we have for avoiding corruption in a neighborhood:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

If you avoid the things in that list, you should be pretty safe from corruption.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Feb 2012 at 4:53 AM
Oh, ok, cool!!!
Thanks.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 1:47 AM
Mootilda.

Will this also help with my problem:
http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial...an_neighborhood
Site Helper
#19 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 2:28 AM
That article will help you to set up a brand new neighborhood with less townies. If you are going to recreate all of your playable families, it's a good idea to start with a clean neighborhood.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 2:33 AM
So, do you mean it will help with my problem, if I want to create my new custom neighborhood, right?
Site Helper
#21 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 5:04 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 14th Feb 2012 at 6:38 PM.
Here's a reasonable method for re-creating a non-corrupt version of a corrupt neighborhood:

1) Extract the appearances of all of your sims from your old neighborhood, using SimPE.

2) If you don't want the default EA townies, install empty templates. Alternatively, you can use the AnyGameStarter to create an empty environment, or you can use this method to create an empty environment (ignore the instructions for FreeTime, since you'll want that stealth subhood):
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...97&postcount=11

3) If you want to create your own custom townies, install all of the no-regen mods. Without these mods, the game will just generate townies.

4) You might also want to consider installing a name mod and new default face templates; these will affect how any generated townies look and what their names are.

5) Create a clean custom neighborhood with none of the EA townies (using empty templates).

8) If you have the no-regen mods installed, create your custom townies now.

6) Recreate your families in CAS using the appearances that you extracted in step 1.

7) Decide what else you want to try to restore: family ties, relationships, memories, skills, etc. Use SimPE and / or one of the in-game solutions (such as the Sim Blender) to restore those things to your new families.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 5:26 AM
Code:
2) If you don't want the default EA townies, install empty templates. Alternatively, you can use the AnyGameStarter to create an empty environment, or you can use this method to create an empty environment:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...97&postcount=11

3) If you want to create your own custom townies, install all of the no-regen mods. Without these mods, the game will just generate townies.

For this, I have choices?
Cause you said, "If"
And also, this site confuses me.
Cause this http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorial...an_neighborhood , says change the name of neighborhood, but second http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...pic,5861.0.html says delete the character/story/thumbnail folder.
Site Helper
#23 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 6:20 AM
Yes, you have some choices.

Your goal is to create a clean environment, so that your new neighborhood will be clean when it is created. There are three options:
1) If you can run the AnyGameStarter, it has an option to create an empty environment. Not everyone can run the AnyGameStarter; most collection packs are not supported. However, it's definitely the simplest option.
2) If you can't use the AnyGameStarter, you can manually do exactly what it would do. That's explained in the post that I linked.
3) The empty templates, available at MATY, will override all of the default EA templates. My understanding is that this is not as clean as the AnyGameStarter, but still seems to be acceptable.
No matter which option you choose, you'll probably want to install the empty FreeTime stealth neighborhood, since that neighborhood template is special and cannot be disabled.

Your goal is to create new townies. There are two options:
1) You can allow the game to generate townies for you.
2) You can create custom townies manually.
These are not mutually exclusive; you can create some custom townies and allow the game to generate some townies.

I don't see any conflict between the two links that you gave. Which neighborhood are they telling you to rename?

Just FYI: you want the QUOTE tags, not the CODE tags, in your last post. The CODE tags make your post much harder to read.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 6:56 AM
Oh, ok.

They said
Quote:
Rename N001 to N001-bak

They also said
Quote:
Back up those folders, delete everything inside the characters folder, and replace the P001_Neighborhood.package, G002_Neighborhood.package, V001_Neighborhood.package, F002_Neighborhood.package, and E002_Neighborhood.package with the ones you downloaded from link above.

And is deleting character folders in that folder safe?

And they didn't listed some expansion pack, like night life, university, open for business.

Do I do the same thing just like "Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, FreeTime, and Apartment Life" ?

And what about the NPCs like various service sims?

Aren't the game suppose to need them?

And also this is what I want to do at the same time:
Have clean and safe default neighborhood & Sub neighborhood with NPCs like various service sims.
Have clean and safe custom/new neighborhood & Sub neighborhood with NPCs like various service sims.
Site Helper
#25 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 5:17 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 14th Feb 2012 at 9:47 PM.
Yes, but I searched for and found the phrase "Rename N001 to N001-bak" in both of those threads, so I didn't see any conflict. In both cases, they are suggesting renaming the N001 folder so that the game doesn't add all of the Pleasantview townies to your new neighborhood.

You can only delete the Characters folder for a neighborhood if you are replacing the associated neighborhood package with a package which has had all of the sims removed. Otherwise, it's completely unsafe. If you're going to do this, you need to follow one set of instructions exactly as written. You need to decide which set of instructions you want to follow.

You'll want clean or empty versions of all of the subhoods that will be added to your neighborhood. The neighborhoods listed (P001, G002, V001, F002, E002) are all of the stealth subhoods, which will be added to your neighborhood automatically the first time that you play it. Before you add any subhoods to your neighborhood, you'll want to install clean or empty versions of those, as well.

Tarlia has clean default neighborhoods and subhoods here, which many people are using:
http://meetme2theriver.livejournal.com/63030.html
Again, you'll need to follow her instructions exactly if you want the clean neighborhoods to work.

Note that you can't have both clean and empty neighborhood templates installed at the same time. If you are trying to create a new empty custom neighborhood, install the empty templates (or use an alternative). If you are trying to get the default neighborhoods, then install the clean templates where available.

By default, the game will generate NPCs and townies. If you want to change that default behavior, you'll need to install mods. Be sure to read and understand the mods that you download.
Page 1 of 2