3rd Dec 2013 at 4:10 AM
Last edited by kidhedera : 3rd Dec 2013 at 4:14 AM.
Reason: Just added something I forgot
The Plain Jane Challenge
My girlfriend is currently using my Big Computer for a few days, so I've been exiled to using her laptop. That means The Sims 3 base game... no store content, no expansions, minimal mods and cc. Its a tragedy.
But every cloud has its silver lining, and my adventures in Sunset Valley have lead to me to design a new challenge that requires only the base game (although would probably be more fun with at least ambitions if not other expansions). Brought to you by the hideous dress sense of the Sunset Valley sims, I give you The Plain Jane Challenge!
Any resemblance to pre-existing challenges either living or dead is purely coincidental!
Meet Jane Smith, the original Plain Jane.
She dreams of marrying a rich sim, and then settling down to help them meet an untimely demise. Unfortunately Jane has all the charisma of a damp towel, and needs our help!
1. Create a Sim Your sim may be male or female, but they must be plain. Homely. Ugly even. I'm not talking of the extremes we often see in the ugly challenges, your sim can look HUMAN, but they should be boring and unattractive. We're thinking, monobrows, no make up, plain clothes, plain hair. This is a sim who thinks that beige goes with everything, especially more beige!
2. Choose your Traits Unfortunately your sim is a truely unpleasant individual! You can choose whatever traits you like, but remember this sim is meant to be just as dull as dishwater. Stingy, grumpy, mean and prudish. They aren't charismatic, they have no sense of humour, art annoys them, and are generally boring and difficult. Try to choose traits that you don't play often, and traits that you think will make the challenge harder for yourself. After all, its meant to be a challenge!
3. Lifetime Want Gold digger. CEO of a Mega Corporation. Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous. Leader of the free world. Swimming in Cash. Your sim is greedy and selfish and thinks only of themselves. You can choose any lifetime want you desire, but make it tell a story. Make it a real motivation for your sim. Write a bio. Make them like a boring colour, and a boring food and a boring kind of music.
4. Move in Any where, any world. It doesn't really matter. I chose The Monotone in Sunset Valley, because THEMATICALLY APPROPRIATE MUCH? I did think it was a bit too classy inside though, so I replaced all the furniture with beige and dirty grey versions. No money cheats, but make sure your sim has what he or she will need for a while, cos you can't upgrade your furniture for quite some time.
5. Inner Beauty Hah. What a crock. No, your sim is strictly looking to cultivate outer beauty. You will begin leveling Charisma, and as your sim learns about what impresses other sims you will unlock new ways to make them attractive.
Charisma Skill Level : What it Unlocks
1 : Make Up! (Also facial hair, eyebrows and body hair sculpting)
Your sim may apply make up. It must be the same in all categories.
2 : Hair!
Your sim may style and dye their hair. It must be the same in all categories.
3 : A little Finesse!
Your sim may use different hair and makeup for different categories.
4 : Elegant Formalwear and Corrective Eye Surgery
Your sim may redesign their formal wear, and save multiple formal wear outfits. You may also change your sims eye colour (including adding custom contacts) and ditch their glasses if they are wearing any.
5 : Casual Chic
Your sim may redesign their outerwear, every day and athletic clothes, and save multiple outfits in each category.
6 : Bed and Beach
Your sims may redesign their bedroom wear and their swimwear, saving multiple outfits in each category if desired.
7 : Fabulous Furnishings
Your sim may move house, or redecorate their home with a view to impressing other sims and hosting excellent parties.
8 : Lifetime Rewards
Your sim may purchase life time rewards, with the exceptions of anything that changes their traits or lifetime wish. Think about using things like Eye Candy and Never Dull to enhance your socialising. If you have the appropriate expansions or content your sim may wish for beauty or accept a magic makeover, etc.
9 : Plastic Surgery
If you have Pets, go to the hospital for this. If not, use cheats to take your sim into create a sim and then pay the appropriate fee for the surgery using the FamilyFunds cheat. Roll a random number generator to test for whether the surgery is a success, and if it fails pay the extra fee. (e.g. If I pay for the 'cheap' surgery, and roll between 1 and 100, anything under 40 will make me pay the 'corrective' surgery fee as well. For the expensive surgery its anything under 10.)
10 : Actual Inner Beauty!?
Your sims can now purchase the Midlife Crisis and Change Lifetime Wish rewards. However, if you do choose to take the midlife crisis you may only change a maximum of 2 traits to positive traits. The others must stay the same or change to another trait that has a negative impact on socialising. People don't really change that much.
6. Go forth, live life! Your sim has things to do! Go, take over the world, seduce rich sims, adopt cats... whatever it is they have decided to do, go do it! Make their shallow vain little life a thing of wonder! Post it to your simblr, or to this thread! Let me see your plain janes bloom and blossom into fancy nancies!
For those of you who wish things to be just a touch harder, these are some extra rules for you: Optional 1: Beauty is Expensive Clothes and make up don't come cheap. Every time your sim changes their make up or adds a new outfit charge them for it. Use the weekly stipend from the stylist career to calculate how much each unlock costs. e.g. If you are changing their hair, thats charisma level 2, so costs the same as Stylist level 2's weekly stipend (240 simoleons in this case). A new every day outfit costs the same as stylist level 5, a lifetime reward costs the same as stylist level 7 and so on. Optional 2: Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder Part A: Your sim may only select romantic interactions autonomously or with a sim who has declared their attraction to them! (Seriously consider using Woohooer or an attraction tuning mod like this one by Fentonparkninja)
Part B: This requires Woohooer to be installed. Go to Woohooer > Romance > Human > Attraction Base Chance Scoring. Set this number to -50 (or -100 if you are truely masochistic). Every time your sim gains a skill point in charisma add 5 (or 10 if you set to -100) to this number with the aim of getting it back to 0 when you reach level 10 in charisma. This will make your sim less attractive to other sims until they work on their beautification process a bit.
So there you have it, my first challenge! Feel free to make suggestions and give feed back.
I very much like the thought you have put into this. I'm always looking for things to do with spares. This would be a good one!
I hope others enjoy it. I'm having some fun with it - my Jane's made a bee-line for hooking up with one or both of the Alto's. (I don't think she's particularly fussy about which one, just so long as its the one that keeps the family fortune once she goes all home wrecker on them).