Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 1:07 AM
Default Mesh smooth problem
Hello,

I was trying to make new hair mesh and after testing it in game I wanted to make it smoother (more high-poly). It was the first time in my meshing history when I actually needed more polys on mesh, I always do quite low-poly stuff and I was happy with it until now.
I'm familiar with 3ds quite okay to remember that it has the new improved Smooth modifier called TurboSmooth which can transform any mesh into "super high-poly explosion", but I've never use it.
My problem is that I can't figure out how to make my mesh smoother without making the polys arrange in a star-like or circle-like way, as I want to keep the quad construction.

TL:DR
Need help on using 3ds TurboSmooth modifier to make the mesh look like it's still made from squares like in "Before" picture.

Any advice will be appreciated

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims
Advertisement
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:09 AM
In your before picture, the mesh's faces are triangles. Modifiers like the one you're trying to use usually work better with quads. My suggestion would be to convert the faces to quads before using the modifier and you should get better results.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 11:40 AM
The use of such a tool is useless if you do not update each new divided vertex.
If you do not move/smooth the vertice themselves the mesh will look exact the same.(because they still lay in the same plane of the original.)
Fus Ro Dah!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 1:37 PM
Thanks Cmo and BloomsBase
Converting it to quads didn't help a lot, since TurboSmooth messes up my mesh anyway. I guess this modifier is good for making objects and other stuff that didn't require smooth bone transitions when animating, so hairs and clothes are doomed As moving every vertex manually is a suicide on this mesh (4.5k polys), I guess I will go with this version

For more Sims 3 stuff by me - visit Ace Creators
My FB Fan page - Elexis's Sims Stuff
My Simblr - ElexisSims