Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 30 (Who?), Viewed: 5697 times.
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 1:54 AM
Default Are you a Type A or a Type Z Simmer?
Type A: Super-organized, anal-retentive, a "control freak"

Type Z: Disorganized, super-laid back, sits back and let's their Sims do whatever is amusing

(I would have made this a poll, but there is no way to make polls anymore. *sadface* )

I am definitely Type A. I have the Sims 2 icon on my desktop, renamed SYNC AND BACKUP!! instead of The Sims™ 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff. This reminds me to duh, sync and backup before I play.

Sync: I use Syncback: http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback to keep my download folder on my backup hard drive synced with the download folder in my Sims 2 folder. When I download files I put them in my downloads folder on my backup drive. That way, in case of fire, I can grab things in order of importance:

1. The cats by the scruff

2. The backup hard drive

3. The fiance by his long gorgeous hair

...and then jump. :-D

Anyway, then before I play, Syncback automatically transfers any files I've downloaded, and deletes any that I've deleted and only transfers packages files. Any photos and important ReadMe's are not transferred so that the game does not have to chunk through that, decreasing loading time. When I delete things in game (not very often), I run a different profile that deletes that same files in on the backup drive so that folders stay in sync. Hence, the name Syncback. (It's a free program by the way and I do not use even 1/5th of it's features. Highly recommended.)

Took a little bit of time and patience to set up, but this system has been working flawlessly for me for years.

Backup: I backup my neighborhoods using TS2Enhancer (A great program but don't waste your money buying it, the developer offers no support, never has. I bought it when it first came out and am so used to it's convenience and ease that I would not go to SimPE if unless I absolutely had to.) to my backup hard drive with one click in TS2 Enhancer. I keep three months of hood backups and TWICE that has saved my hoods from a real mess.

My downloads folder is organized so that I can find anything by creator or item type or in-game category.

So yeah, I'm A-type big time. And don't even get me started on the control freak nature of how I actually play the game! That's why I am learning to roll different things to let the Sims actually surprise me!

How about you?

Liv Loves Simming: http://livlukas.tumblr.com

Liv Loves LiveSimming: http://www.livestream.com/livlukas

Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:21 AM
Im also type A! I'm very controlling and always have to have my sims doing something.

I'm trying really hard to change my ways like not all my uni sims need a 4.0 GPA in college. Instead of making them do homework all the time and study their skills I want to just have them meet people or date xD

I hardly ever take my sims out to community lots because they're always so busy doing something. Ill also be trying to add more family time from now on
Scholar
#3 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:27 AM
I think I'm kind of in between type A and type Z because with certain sims I'm very controlling over their lives, while other sims I have I just like to sit back and see what kind of shenanigans they get themselves into.
Test Subject
#4 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:35 AM
I'm in between. I gotta have them doing something important but if it's not so important, I'm just whatever.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:42 AM
A lot of times I just don't know what I'm doing.

I derp around probably corrupt my game.

I don't really organize anything.

I rely on free will a lot.

For some reason I have moderately successful neighborhoods.

That was not helpful, funny, or love!
Theorist
#6 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:45 AM
Definitely Type A, since I don't even let my Sim have any free will, and would try to cancel any autonomous reactions they could still have.

But really, these days I only use Sims2 for storytelling and/or picture taking instead of the actual gameplay, so they really don't need any free will.
Scholar
#7 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 3:41 AM
I'm a Type Z player, although I'm not disorganized as described. I just like to sit back and watch them do what they choose, free will on and everything.

When it comes to CC downloads, I'm a Type A..downloader? lol My files are at least 80% full organized in folders where I wan't them to be, with pictures included. I haven't had time for simming lately so my most recent stuff are still sitting in the 'New Stuff" folder xD.
Scholar
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:05 AM
I'm a type A that wishes that could be a bit more a type Z. I don't turn off free will and I do let my Sims do things autonomously but I usually already have them doing something so they don't get much chance. Heck I usually my visiting Sims selectable at parties just so I can cancel some of their actions. Nothing worse than influencing someone to go talk to another Sim your trying to get them to meet only to have the Sim refuse to stop hula dancing.

As for my Uni students I find it impossible for them not to get a 4.0 every semester. One of the reasons is that I mostly play frat and sorority houses and they have a lot of parties. All the visiting Sims head off to do assignments or group research every time I turn around. By the time I've made it back around in the rotation usually they have filled up their meter and have 50+ hours left of the semester.

I've tried doing one of the challenges where you just sit back and watch and touch nothing. It's impossible for me to do so it just makes me crazy. Maybe if some of their autonomous choices weren't so stupid or just pointless, I've got one Sim where if I leave her alone for any length of time she instantly heads to the fridge to cook lobster thermidor. Makes no difference if her hunger bar is full or not as she usually then walks away from it and either burns it or sets the kitchen on fire.

Can't leave those crazy Sims unattended for any length of time.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:09 AM
I'm somewhere in between, but definitely closer to Type A. I let my Sims do business as usual to a certain degree. I'm probably most lenient with social interactions. I like to see what kind of drama arises among Sims.

My downloads folder is very organized and I keep adding more sub-folders if I think one is getting too big/muddled.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:24 AM
definitely a type Z simmer but I never let my sims do anything risky that could kill them, unless I want them to die.

is proud not to be a fracking idiot

Simmerful on Tumblr

Simmerful Downloads
Mad Poster
#11 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:36 AM
I'm type P.

I play just like myself.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:29 AM
I KNEW it! I knew you would answer in avoidance of typecasting, Peni! :-)

Honestly, I should have put a Type M - for middle of the road.

Liv Loves Simming: http://livlukas.tumblr.com

Liv Loves LiveSimming: http://www.livestream.com/livlukas

Field Researcher
#13 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 6:09 AM
Type Z, I've tried organizing but with 7k downloads it's such a pain. But in the game I usually go Pause > 2... Pause > 1 every few seconds so I can give them commands before they go off and read a book to their kid or play SSX3. So I'm kind of in the middle I guess. I've never backed up my game and I don't really plan on it cause I'm way too lazy
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 6:45 AM
Type A definitely. I play with Freewill off and make sure the sims I want to be successful always succeed in life. A+/GPA 4.0 students, top of the career, 95+ relationship with spouse/parents/siblings and children. Children and below are always platinum. Adults and above are Gold at least. I've never had anything bad(with the exception of them passing out, that too rarely) happen to my sims without my will.

I'm a total control freak who gets impatient if a sim so much as uses the wrong door. ("No, you moron! That route is longer!")

I know perfection is boring, so there are a few other sims who are actually meant to fail. Their aspirations are always red, relationships always negative, memories are mostly red. Needs are on the brink. With these sims I have to be extra careful so they don't make their lives better. This fate mostly befalls the 'unwanted sims' we were talking about on the other thread.

Funnily, keeping sims really unhappy is also as difficult as keeping sims really happy, because the moment you're playing another family they'll fulfill some of their wants (talk, make a friend etc) if they are seen as visitors to a community lot.

Also, I back up every alternate play session and have at least 3 simultaneous backups at a time. Had to learn my lesson the bitter way.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 7:28 AM
I guess I'm Type A or between A and Z, I don't ever have free will on but my downloads are awkwardly unorganized.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 7:36 AM
Type Z when playing, type A otherwise; I backup every day when I quit the game, keep ages etc. in sync and keep a detailed journal about everything that happens, and try to keep my downloads in good order... but I have free will absolutely on, my sims do whatever they please (I just keep them from lethal trouble and game-enforced stupidities like cooking lobster thermidor when they're not even hungry; obviously not their own choice, but the game trying to create stupid drama), they choose their own lifestyles and destinies 100 % (I have a boatload of mods to make that possible). I see no point in playing a virtual dollhouse with mindless puppets doing what I tell them to do, so I need my sims to be "real persons" who live their own lives and do interesting things that I myself maybe wouldn't even think of.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 8:01 AM
I'm type Z player and type A downloader. I keep everything in subfolders and mods are kept in a subfolder of the subfolder so that if I find something undesirable(like community time's buggyness) I can just remove it. I try to keep all my CC independent of each other so that I can remove things if I want and my game not asplode.
Scholar
#18 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 8:07 AM
Z.
Z.
Z!
The site won't let me post Z!

Okay. I'm type 101101. Happy?!

Hey there! :)
Forum Resident
#19 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 9:22 AM
For playing the game, I'm generally closer to a type Z: free will on, autonomous actions allowed, ACR+InTeen to cause havock with risky pregnancies at all ages teen-adult, and aspirations are randomly rolled (yes, that does mean I can have a 0-point outgoing, 2-point grouchy Romance sim). The exception is for Adamswater Ridge, where what a sim does is largely defined by their wants and personality, but still requires a fair amount of rules and note-taking to accomplish it (for example, every sim has an 'ideal' number of children, which is their neat, outgoing, active, and playful points added up, divided by three, then divided again by a number representing their aspiration, from 1 for Family sims to 6 for Romance sims).

Aside from LTWs, sims in my game are mostly left to follow their wants, fears, and free will. Toddlers get to play and interact how they want, even if that means they get six creativity points before becoming a child thanks to smart milk stick. Children are free to play (but they do have to do any homework they got from school each day), and are allowed to skill autonomously -- skilling is only directed by me if they have the want to do so. Teens are sometimes more focused on romancing the pretty sim down the street than anything else, but I have gotten a couple who are intensly focused on skilling and scholarships. Young adults have a lot more free time at university, and only those who adamently want to do term papers every semester get an A+ -- sometimes, though, this free time, coupled with their partner also being at university, leads to a fair number of unexpected college babies being born.

Adults and elders are exceptions on skilling -- if they have a career-based LTW, then I force them to get the skill points they need to reach the top of their career as quickly as possible. When they have children is left up to ACR, but in some 'hoods I have started to implement population control after the first or second pregnancy (no matter how much they want another child -- Alma and Daniel Schwartz's youngest child has just gone off to university, and I am still getting pop-ups from ACR showing that they're trying for yet another baby).

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:20 AM
Hi there,

I seem to be Type...B? Perfectly organized Downloads, Backups and general Setup but free range gameplay in borders of some self-imposed 'laws and guidelines' that nearly all were developed through gameplay itself. *coughs* How's that to categorize? :D

DasRabennest

~ You can't prove courage without fright ~
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 10:25 AM
I am definitely type A. I make all my Sims go to college first, get all their skill up, I have their motives off and they study day and night. They build their relationships with their future spouses. Then buy a nice apartment and have their first kids then buy a house after making enough cash and move up into their careers.

I wish I could play right now.

true love is sim love.

twitter - sequoiaaaa_
tumblr - thefavoritelove
Instructor
#22 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 3:44 PM
I would say that I'm somewhere in the middle. I tend to have my Sims doing something but sometimes I let them decide what to do. I'm also not as careful about certain things as I ought to be.

I wanna play my Sims all night, and play em everyday...
<- Currently Simless.
Have you ever noticed that the letters f, o, and r are next to the letters d, i, and e respectively. So if you're not careful whenever you are typing the word 'for' you run the risk of typing 'die' instead.
Instructor
#23 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 3:56 PM
Another type A here. But I still like to have some randomness in my game, so I have ACR installed and always play with free will on.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:09 PM
I definitely a mixture of the two. A lot of organized chaos goes on in my game But if I had to choose, I'd lean more to the z type!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:00 PM
Type A for sure. However, even though I micromanage my CC (filenames are half the screen long, subfolders within subfolders ad infinitum) I have SO MUCH of it because I can't bear to part with stuff, even if I don't use it. So I've reached the point where I have spreadsheets and Word files documenting exactly what CC I've used for sims, etc. I'm a compulsive list maker, so I already have things like a list of paintings with template name/EP/dimensions/ratio and one of lots I've used and what I've done with them in-game.

Forgot to mention: I cannot STAND to play with free will on. My sims could have just given birth to twins, have 6 people over, the repo man at the door, and the kitchen in flames, and they decide to go take a bubble bath.
Page 1 of 2

Section jump