Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 1:44 PM Last edited by whoward69 : 16th May 2017 at 11:19 PM.
Default Hair sets?
What do people do for CC "hair sets" - everyday, formal, sport/swim, pjs/undies, outside

Let's say I have a female sim with shoulder length straight hair, the formal version could be the "pulled back with top braids", the sport/swim version the long ponytail, pjs/undies the shoulder length slightly mussed version and outside just about anything with earmuffs/hat. That's easy ... for one Sim.

Now I have a lovely over the shoulder wavy custom hair which also works for formal, but I've no idea what to change it to for swim/sport and she sure didn't get out of bed (pjs/undies) looking like that! If I use the Maxis long ponytail for sports/swim, the hair not only changes style (good) but also changes colour (bad). Sure wish I could find a ponytail in the same colour - but that's like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Short hair (both male and female) is pretty well catered for by Maxis, but I could still use some variations.

All my Sims are starting to look like the hairdresser only knows three or four styles! And as I've got a dozen or so female teens/grads about to grow-up, things are going to start looking decidedly "cookie-cut" in my hood soon! And there also a few long-haired males coming with them.

Do some creators package several hair variations together as a set and I'm missing them in my searches?

So what do you do? Not change style per outfit? Or just trawl many, many individual cc hair meshes/recolours pages looking for styles that are close in colour and go together? Or do you have a few (many?) "go to" combinations?

My Sims need a better hair-stylist than me!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 2:46 PM
Most times I pick a hair I like and they wear that for all outfits. Sometimes they might get another hair if one jumps out at me or a formal one if they are going to get married, but most times they wear the same hair for everything. I could not stand not having the colour or length match.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 3:00 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Jun 2015 at 3:14 PM.
I usually pick a hair for all the categories. Sometimes I'll pick some kind of winter hat for outerwear that fits the regular hair style.

I mostly use hair categories for making 7-in-1 sims, for storytelling. The sims have a somewhat generic face, and different hairstyles and outfits, and I suddenly have several 'extras' on the set without having to clutter the neighborhood with as many sims. I occasionally change their hairs and clothes, to switch things about. I also have a few 'extras' for my regular characters, where I use hairstyles and clothes to make it easier to switch their clothes or accessories without actually having to do it every time. I have lots of clothes and hairstyles, and digging them up several times during a game session take lots of time and frustration.
Link Ninja
#4 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 3:12 PM
I land in the second category of trawling through pages to find a set that looks similar but an up-do for formal, a ponytail for swimming and work out, and a hair down natural look for sleep and underwear.

Male sims get off with one hair for all categories except those with long enough hair to pull back.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 3:42 PM
If the everyday style is 'up' then they get it taken down for sleep, but otherwise it depends on the sim.

I've actually never had trouble matching hair colour ... yet.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 4:12 PM
I settle for approximating color and length. Most short styles don't allow much variation, except for the hat styles. Most hat styles have a standard set that I follow, which is generally obvious. I have an adorable little "bedhead" hair that works for the undies/pjs slot with some short hairstyles.

I've got a small number of long messy styles which are my go-to for undies/pjs states. I have long hair myself, which I only ever brush out in the morning, or braid for manual labor or hot weather, and I promise you, those cute styles don't stay in when you're sleeping on them, much less woohooing. Sometimes I wish someone would do a set of JBF hairs (or I guess they'd have to call it JBW hair), but honestly my downloads folder is big enough. Long hair that's obviously been styled a lot may get put in curlers for the night. There's some hairstyles that obviously should be worn at night - like the hair up in a towel, anyone with a bouffant updo should be sleeping with the hair wrapped to protect it - that aren't enabled for pjs, which is annoying.

Long hairstyles get something fancy for formal, and something pulled back or bound for swimwear and athletic wear. You really don't want to swim with loose long hair - it wraps around your arms.

I would really, really like to have more hats available for outerwear! As with the obvious nighttime dos, a number of hats aren't available for outerwear and it drives me batty. And most hats clearly only have one associated everyday hair, which is annoying.

Men who have messy everyday hair may get combed versions or hats that match their formalwear, and they're generally a bit easier to get into hats for outerwear - but again, not all hats are available for outerwear and that's just dumb.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 4:21 PM
I very rarely bother changing with outfits, but I do like my Sims to change their hairstyle over time. Few people have their hair the exact same way their entire life.

I solve that by having primarily pooklet recolors. That way the color always matches, and the only concern is length. If I want a short-haired Sim to have long hair, they either grow it out gradually, or they go to the hair dresser and get "extensions". And since pooklet is the "primary" color-scheme besides Maxis, there is lots of hairs available, so lots of variety.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
JBF hair

I had to JFGI that
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
And since pooklet is the "primary" color-scheme besides Maxis, there is lots of hairs available, so lots of variety.

Ummm. May finally have to investigate "pooklet" - I fear for my Downloads/Hair sub-folder!!!
Theorist
#10 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 5:34 PM Last edited by PenelopeT : 23rd Jun 2015 at 8:12 PM.
I'm pretty picky about my Sims hairstyle matching their personality and clothing style, but I don't go out of my way to choose styles for them very often (never for pj's/undies, swim or workout wear).

My male Sims typically keep the same style until they die. Some of my female Sims go to the salon for a new style every other season (those that can afford to do so), unless a special occasion requires them to go more often - while others keep the same style forever.

As for formal occasions, all female Sims (with the exception of those with short hair) wear either a pinned or curly style. In real life I'm pretty picky about hair looking tidy for formal events...and that is reflected in my gameplay.
Instructor
#11 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 5:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whoward69
Ummm. May finally have to investigate "pooklet" - I fear for my Downloads/Hair sub-folder!!!

And if you're into more maxis match than Pooklet (I personally find it too shiny for my taste most of the time, except on occasional hairs that I want to look like they were dyed, in which case some of the colors work really nicely), Remi is another popular one for hair colors/retextures. It's also fairly compatible with poppet and simgaroop colors, though there are differences for some colors.

I fall into the category of one hair for every category. Mainly because it's too painfully long of a process to pick hair for each outfit using the in game dresser/mirror. I consider it good if I actually have the energy to sift through all my hair to find a style that really suits them, rather than picking the first okay one I come across, or even just leaving what they age up with. I love designing sims but when they're born in game and just had a birthday I'm usually just really excited to play them, as opposed to making over their look.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 8:40 PM
I do not change their hairstyles for different categories of clothing - it will take me far too long. And since they come out of the shower and get out of bed with perfect hair, my only criteria is if I like the hairstyle or not.