Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 1788 times.
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 11:49 AM
Default How do you sort your snapshots/photographs of your Sims?
I'm trying to sort all my pictures because I can't find what I took, and they're way out of order. How do you sort them? Do you leave them all in the storytelling and go on a hunt or do you copy them to another folder and/or rename them so they go in order? I'm trying to figure out a way myself to organize the photos and am having a tough time deciding how to do it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:01 PM
You need them in Storytelling if you want to use the in game story thing - otherwise you can take them out. You'll need both the snapshot and thumbnail in Storytelling but, unless you want to put them back at any time, you just need the Snapshots outside the game files.

I have various methods. I use the in-game storytelling feature A LOT. I use it to document my families and keep track of what has happened.

I also take pictures with Fraps (better quality) which I keep outside the game. I have various folders for this on my removeable hardrive (so as not to clutter up the main drive). I have folders for building and neighbourhood design where I just want pictures of how I've been decorating the place - and also an 'ideas' folder with some pictures pinched off other people when they've done some interesting build or decorating feature I might want to copy later. And then I keep a large folder of Little Carping stuff which has sub-folders of families and lots - depending on what I want to keep. I usually also have a 'recent' folder where I can go and look at stuff I've been doing in the last few months. Pictures in here eventually get sorted to the other folders. I keep them in date order. Using Fraps, this means converting the bmps to jpgs more or less as soon as I take the pictures. I go through the Fraps folder every week or so and take pictures out. If I didn't do this, the main drive would now be full.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:04 PM
I tried fraps, but I can't use it cause I can't afford it. What I meant is copying the pictures, and putting them in another folder. Keeping the originals in their place, but putting the others elsewhere. For some reason my storytelling mode - the white paper that pops up does not pop up in my game at all. No idea why, must be a messed up hack. Should be fixed soon, I'm taking out every download and fixing that.

I have a legacy family and I've been taking pictures like crazy. Not very good pictures, but good enough for me anyway. I probably need a removable harddrive as well. I never thought about it until you said something!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:13 PM
Can't afford it? Fraps is freeware.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:24 PM
Is it? The one I downloaded wanted me to pay for it. Or maybe I was using the wrong features... I don't know. I'm kind of inept when it comes to those software programs. Takes me ages to learn them
Forum Resident
#6 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:49 PM
FRAPS offers a free version which allows you to take screenshots and save as .BMP files, as well as 30 second (watermarked) videos. If you want to save screenshots as JPG, PNG or TGA files, or record more tham 30 seconds of video/no watermark, then you need to pay for the upgrade version.

If you use the in-game storytelling feature, you can change the folder viewing settings to view the images with details (name, date taken, image type, image size) rather than a preview image. If you do that you can sort by date (which you can then use to rename, change back to viewing as preview images and have them named in order).

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 12:51 PM
If it is for witch queen I sort them into folders with the number of the chapter on them so that I could have them all in for their for the chapters and other witch queen related stuff. If it's not for the witch queen I may or not sort into folders. I use the inbulit camera and cpature options as it is free to use and it easy to do with some help if needed.

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 1:03 PM
Quote:
If you use the in-game storytelling feature, you can change the folder viewing settings to view the images with details (name, date taken, image type, image size) rather than a preview image. If you do that you can sort by date (which you can then use to rename, change back to viewing as preview images and have them named in order).

Hm, I like that idea. I've been using extra large views, but they're all scattered its hard to find the ones I want.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 9th Jul 2012 at 3:54 PM
First I kept my pictures in-game but after a while it took too much space for my taste. So I moved them from C to D. I did not sort them out yet but I intend to make maps for each family. Now there is only one map for them: sims.
I think you can see when a picture is taken. At least on my pc it is. If it is very recent the time is mentioned. Then it is stated yesterday and after that the day of the week. When longer ago the date. If you would sort it out immediately then you can still remember when happened what. So you can give the photo a more recognizable name. If you want it to be remembered exactly, start a document and note it down.

Section jump