Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:27 PM
Default Toddler's personality
I know that the way you treat a baby, will make his/her personality when he/she becomes a toddler. Since a couple of months I play and cuddle the baby's more and more, and the toddlers become more outgoing and nice. But is playing and cuddling the baby everything that causes the toddlers personality? Does anyone know?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:39 PM
I honestly don't think there is any change made by making Sim Parents/Family Members coddle their Sim babies. I have a ton of not very nice Sims that were cuddled a lot while they were babies/tots.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:43 PM
Actually, I think it's a completely erroneous assumption that how babies are treated affects personality in the first place. In my game, babies tend to all be treated pretty much the same, yet I have plenty of variety in personalities.

If you make a baby selectable, you'll see that they already have personalities in place. I could be wrong, but I don't believe those personalities change upon transition to toddlerhood.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TychoH
I know that the way you treat a baby, will make his/her personality when he/she becomes a toddler. Since a couple of months I play and cuddle the baby's more and more, and the toddlers become more outgoing and nice. But is playing and cuddling the baby everything that causes the toddlers personality? Does anyone know?

Nothing you do during pregnancy or infanthood will affect a sim's personality. My babies tend to be left alone with only occasional feeds/diaper changes/plays, and I have a whole range of personality points in all of my 'hoods.

I think the only thing that even remotely affects personality are the sim's parents personalities (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've noticed a trend where children tend to get similar personalities to their parents), and even then the game can throw the occasional curveball (like a 0-Grouchy sim born to two 10-Nice parents).

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:24 PM
I you have Merola's mind control mirror and/or SimPE, you can see the baby's personality right after he/she is born, and the personality as a toddler is the same as when they were born regardless of how they were treated as a baby.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:28 PM
I always make my sim babies selectable, and their personality does not change when becoming toddlers.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:10 PM
So basically what they're all saying, TychoH, is that you're incorrect.

If you want to change personalities you'd need some sort of hack like InSim or SimBlender.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:16 PM
There's also Encourage, once the sim is reaches child age.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:27 PM
Babies personalities are determined somewhat by genetics but there is also a random element involved as well. This is why if you don't "roll the pacifier" prior to a birth in a new play session you will end up with an Aries and the baby will look like a clone of it's father. At the beginning of every play session the Sim randomizer is reset and Aries is the default personality. You can either go into "create a Sim" at the beginning of your play session and "roll the pacifier" a few times or you can use Pescado's batbox and have it rerandomize the Sim generator.

You only have to do it once per play session, it's part of my start up procedure. Since making this a habit I have noticed a significant difference in the variety of new Sims personalties as well as having a broader range of genetics in appearance. Basically all my Sims don't look alike and I have a far greater number of recessive genes popping up, which delights me to no end.

However how you treat your child has no bearing on their personality whatsoever with the exception of when they get older and can encourage them.
Instructor
#10 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:11 PM
Clashfan: If I understand you correctly that means that it´s also recommended to roll the pacifier even if the families who will have a baby don´t have any other children yet? It would actually make sence, because I have noticed that the firstborn sims tend to be aries in my game... but I can´t say I have seen that they would look like a clone of the father.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Babies personalities are determined somewhat by genetics but there is also a random element involved as well. This is why if you don't "roll the pacifier" prior to a birth in a new play session you will end up with an Aries and the baby will look like a clone of it's father. At the beginning of every play session the Sim randomizer is reset and Aries is the default personality. You can either go into "create a Sim" at the beginning of your play session and "roll the pacifier" a few times or you can use Pescado's batbox and have it rerandomize the Sim generator.

You only have to do it once per play session, it's part of my start up procedure. Since making this a habit I have noticed a significant difference in the variety of new Sims personalties as well as having a broader range of genetics in appearance. Basically all my Sims don't look alike and I have a far greater number of recessive genes popping up, which delights me to no end.

However how you treat your child has no bearing on their personality whatsoever with the exception of when they get older and can encourage them.

I haven't been rolling the pacifier as much as I should and this is more of a reason to get better with that. It'll be interesting to start my game and see how many of my toddlers/children are Aries. I don't normally pay attention to their signs until they reach teen and are looking for significant others.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Scholar
#12 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dieKristina
Clashfan: If I understand you correctly that means that it´s also recommended to roll the pacifier even if the families who will have a baby don´t have any other children yet? It would actually make sence, because I have noticed that the firstborn sims tend to be aries in my game... but I can´t say I have seen that they would look like a clone of the father.

Yes it makes the most sense to do it every single time. You just get a broader range of Sims. Also a lot of the signs will get more than just the basic number of personality points allowed.

I just had a baby age to toddler and she has a 10 on everything except she has 0 playful points. She's going to be a really sensitive obsessive cleaner who won't have the patience to study or play chess and has no sense of humor whatsoever.

I hope she doesn't end up rolling pleasure as her aspiration.
Instructor
#13 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:38 PM
Okay, thanks for the info. I´ll definitely do that from now on.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 11:26 PM
I always use the batbox to reset the sim generator before leaving one lot to play the next, regardless, because in addition to rolling the pacifier, it cleans up stuck objects as well. Nice way to leave the lot in good shape before leaving, and super convenient since the process kicks you to the neighborhood view anyway. You just have to be sure to save the lot before clicking that option, because it doesn't save for you automatically.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 12:08 AM
Although personality points can't be changed by socialization, I have found it to be true that the circumstances under which one grows up affect their behavior. Naomi Gavigan is a perfect clone of her brother Ezekial, down to her last personality point, and she's never picked a fight with anyone; also, much less focused on her SO. Naomi didn't have to live nearly as many life crises, and even though she was a twin Ezekial took better care of her than Isaiah took care of him. So she's a lot less aggressive than him, Justine didn't motivate her to turn her life completely around like Pigeon motivated Ezekial. And Oliver Onions, who has the same number of nice points as Ezekial, had a fairly idyllic childhood, and gets along with most people.

So Tycho may be noticing a real effect, but has identified the wrong mechanic as the cause. Personality points and training both count into the personality of the sim, but they are separate mechanics.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#16 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
So Tycho may be noticing a real effect, but has identified the wrong mechanic as the cause. Personality points and training both count into the personality of the sim, but they are separate mechanics.

Fair enough, I guess I was thinking mostly about the how you treat babies question determining what your sign or personality would be. Your right though you can get Sims to act against their personality with enough training.

Always makes me smile when some of my slobs autonomously picks up after themselves. That's more of how I treat them though and less of how they are treated by say their parents. They will still grumble about doing anything that goes against their type no matter how much you train them.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 9:05 AM
This is why if you don't "roll the pacifier" prior to a birth in a new play session you will end up with an Aries and the baby will look like a clone of it's father.

Not from my experience. The Aries personality is what you will get for the first sim the game makes in CAS (so if you go in to CAS to randomise a few sims, the first sim you see will have the default Aries personality unless it's been pre-randomised). If you also batch-make townies using the mailbox, the first sim made will always be an Aries unless you've pre-randomised.

Clone of their father? Joseph Martin and James Martin are clones of each other (both have black hair/dark blue eyes/light skin and the exact same personality)...and this is their father, Ralph (blond hair/light blue eyes/light skin).

Regarding randomising: it's only necessary if you're batch-creating sims or you've got an impending birth, but it is a good habit to do it once per play session as then you don't have to hurriedly randomise some sims before a birth.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#18 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 2:04 PM
Yes; you get clones of the firstborn, regardless. My two clones are Sagittarrius. I think the Aries/father resemblance is probably real enough in Clashfan's game, but is an artifact of his particular sims. I believe someone on here as demonstrated a tendency on that first randomization to favor the father's features in cases of equal dominance.

The important thing is to have some sort of genetic randomization reset happen prior to the birth during a play session.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bwinney43
So basically what they're all saying, TychoH, is that you're incorrect.

I see
Also now I know why two sisters and one brother looks exactly the same haha.
Thanks everyone for the respons.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 3:56 PM
At the beginning of every play session the Sim randomizer is reset and Aries is the default personality. You can either go into "create a Sim" at the beginning of your play session and "roll the pacifier" a few times or you can use Pescado's batbox and have it rerandomize the Sim generator.

So is the "sim randomizer" the same as rolling the pacifier? No difference?
Instructor
#21 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 3:57 PM
I think another question that needs to be asked is how do you know you've got first born syndrome in your game for sure? I never do the whole randomization thing before a birth. I've also had Sims with identical personalities, but different looks. It took me forever to realize that when I looked at four teen siblings that they really were different. And then the interests are different. I also get twins that have slightly similar personalities. I've also had a set of twins who wound up with vastly different hobbies.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 4:00 PM
I've rolled the pacifier and gotten twins both with Aries personality types, though the points were a bit different. Their predestined hobbies were different, too, due to the point distribution.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#23 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 4:12 PM
You know you have first born Syndrome when the younger siblings have the same looks and personality of the first born child and they aren't twins.

If I didn't roll the pacifier, the second and third child looked exactly the same as the first and had the exact same personality as the first.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 4:13 PM
Yes, the sim randomizer = rerandomize sim generator = rolling the pacifier.

If both appearance and personality are identical, you have clones. Genders may be different because that's determined on a separate random roll. All my Gavigan children look similar to each other, but I know Naomi and Ezekial are clones because they also have identical personalities.

I'm not really good with statistics, but in a truly random process, if what is being determined is star signs, there should be a one-in-twelve chance of any star sign in any birth, which would make twins with the same star sign a common occurrence. However, the star sign is derived from the personality point, and the personality points appear to be generated randomly, though there may be an inheritance element there - it's not at all clear. So the fact that I have a set of Capricorn twins is a bit surprising. Their personalities are about one point different. Unlike in real life, twins cannot be clones, as the birth of the first always resets the randomizer, but they may be functionally identical, especially if your family has boring enough genes or you get unlucky on the randomizer.

Field Researcher
#25 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 4:31 PM
In my hood, the firstborn is mostly a Gemini, occasionally Scorpio or Sagittarius (seems to depend on the parents), but always 1 point nice, 9 points active. If I would keep those "Firstborn Geminis", 100 % of the sims in my hood would obviously sooner or later be 1 point nice, and 9 points active... so I always discard the Firstborn Gemini ("the neighborhood clone"). I don't randomize though, because I like to use the birth pattern to my advantage. The deal is, the birth order is not random, it's a sequence that starts at a certain point for a certain couple; which means that a certain couple will always produce the exact same children, no matter how many you make them have, if you have them give birth to them without ever quitting the game in between, or letting another couple have a baby, that also resets the pattern (or make a new sim in CAS, same thing). It's not only the first one that produces a clone when not randomized, they all do. So what I'm saying is, that you can play ... let's say Jason and Rose Greenman in any Riverblossom Hills, have them have 10 children, and they will always have the exact same 10 (the gender varies, and the style of the eyebrows, but personality and looks are the same), as long as there's no randomization involved. So the first one they have is always the same as any first of any Jason and Rose, the second one they have is exactly the same as every second baby that any Jason and Rose have, etc.

So for the first child of this particular couple, I would have Rose give birth, it would of course be a "firstborn Gemini"; I would then exit to neighborhood without saving (obviously it's good to save just before she starts giving birth, so this can be repeated easily!), re-enter, and have her give birth again. This one is their "real firstborn", since I really don't count the "neighborhood clone" I discard at first. The "real firstborn", i.e. the secondborn, very often is a personality clone of it's father (not always!), but might get the looks of it's mother. So now it's time to save, this one's a keeper!

So now they have one child. To get another one, I have two choices: keep playing until Rose gives birth again, without playing another family in between (or at least not letting anyone give birth.), OR, if I have quit the game in between, I need to use the exit without saving method again: let Rose give birth to the Firstborn Gemini, exit, re-enter, have Rose give birth again (the child will be a clone of the child they now already have), exit, re-enter, and when Rose gives birth for the third time, it will be a keeper. And so on and so on.

And why do I do all this, and not just randomize? Because I get attached to my sims, and if something would happen to my hood and I'd have random sims that I never ever can recreate (I do back up, very frequently, but anyway), I'd be miserable. This way, I can always recreate entire families from the beginning, even several generations if I want to. I have also recreated families like this for parallel neighborhoods, when I for some reason play two or three different versions of one neighborhood, but want to keep some families the same.

***for some reason, which I haven't yet figured out, a small percentage of couples do not get the Firstborn Gemini. They get to keep their first child as it is, and the next ones will be made with the same pattern as explained above.***

This is the way it works in my game; obviously the type of "Firstborn Gemini" varies, since Clashfan gets Aries (which is what I get as the first sim created in CAS, every time), but I'm assuming that the birth order pattern thing is the same.