Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 60 (Who?), Viewed: 10557 times.
Page 1 of 3
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 5:17 PM
Default Grouchy Vs. Nice
Do you ever deliberately make extremely grouchy sims - and I mean grouchy enough to crank call? I started playing around with that option while playing the Beaker household because all three of the initial occupants had no nice points. It was quite an interesting experience because even though they grumbled a lot, all three(including Nervous) turned out to be good parents. Poor Nervous had a rough pregnancy though, and went into aspiration failure twice. And Don Lothario also had a baby(I got him abducted by force to punish him for being a playboy, though he didn't cry afterward, surprisingly enough), Juanita, who has almost no nice points. She made a friend by crank-calling - they seem to have a lot of common interests - and the townie friend she made grew up with her.

With the Curiouses, the first two alien kids have full nice points, and while they love to hug, they don't seem to really want to defend themselves. I do understand that it is rather pointless to fight, and it doesn't make the offending sim go away, it's also pointless to cry after being poked or pranked, and maybe sometimes you do need to have a rumble or two and then talk things over.

Also, I've heard about this 'fight club' mod - with that mod, do fights still hurt relationships? I hope this isn't a silly question... it's just that I would like one where a fight could be friendly - like wrestling. There are some people who will bond over a good rassle.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 6:06 PM
I like to have a wide variety of sims, and a lot of my sims aren't ones I've made to a plan anyway - many of my CAS sims have randomized points, and I have a number of townies-turned-playable, premades, and in-game-borns, too. My lowest number of nice points is 0 (Estebanico Casa) and my highest number is 10 (Harris Hawkins and a couple of borns).

Nice sims will fight if sufficiently provoked. Harris has had exactly one fight in his lifetime - and the overweight businessman kicked the pro athlete's butt. It was a matter of his sister's honor, you see. If you want your nice sims to fight, give them Romance relatives! And Kitty Hawkins (8 or 9 nice points) has come to blows with her son-in-law Ezekial (1 nice point); they can't seem to agree on what color the sky is. I think that's a matter of constant chafing in close proximity, and honestly I expect it's as much Kitty's fault as Zeke's - she's a terror to all her in-laws, because she does in fact know everything about how to run a family and if you don't believe me, ask her! Zeke himself is a bit of a trouble magnet, but displays an interesting behavior pattern, in that he only picks fights with two kinds of people - those he has reason to believe have done his friends wrong, and those who compete with him for his wife's attention and affection!

Estebanico, on the other hand, has been in lots of altercations but few all-out battles. The record for that goes to his father Esteban, at 1 nice point. A lot of his opponents are Estebanico's discarded girlfriends who aren't content to sit around waiting for him to come back, but a lot of them are just townies he thinks dissed him in some way.

As for crank calling, that's such a teen-age thing I don't have adults do it even when the option comes up; however, Naomi Gavigan (1 nice point, like Ezekial) regularly crank-called the Wicked Witch in response to her proclivity for showing up at the park to throw hail and bugs at little kids.

Generally speaking, life circumstances have more to do with how combative a sim is than nice points in isolation. I don't think Oliver Onions has ever been in a fight, and he's got the same number of nice points as Ezekial. Ezekial's wife Pigeon only has three nice points, but most of her early socialization was done by pie-sweet Harris, and you seldom see her in a negative interaction; when she does, it is clearly the other sim's fault. She won't push, but she will push back - hard, and definitively. Nobody ever, anywhere, no matter how cranky, has ever tried to pick a fight with Harris, because he's just that sweet.

You certainly can have people make friends after fights. Ashley Pitts-Upsnott got into a fistfight with an old girlfriend who came around, and now she's spontaneously calling him up trying to rekindle stuff. And under Pigeon's watchful eye Zeke and Kitty are working on getting along, and might make friends if she lives long enough and he keeps Pigeon producing grandchildren. All of Castor Nova's old girlfriends are friends with at least one other of them. Romance sims tend to get into fight-and-make-up loops with their long strings of lovers. Ginger Newson attacked Cooper Hawkins in an aspiration-failure rage once, and he basically stood there and took it; they are now happily married and her aspiration problems are a thing of the past because he knows just how to deal with them, IYKWIM&ITYD.

Whether it happens without your encouragement is another matter.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#3 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 6:34 PM
I don't have anybody on the full grouchy scale in my game. I think 3 points or perhaps 2 is the lowest any of my playables might have, I do however have several that have 10 points and these would be born in game Sims. I don't have very much fighting in my game certainly not of the spontaneous variety. Mostly there is some pushy shovey that goes on at community lots as there are several of the townies that like to tease. I've seen a bit of spontaneous arguing and one of my playables seems to exhibit bully type of behavior when he shows up at a community lot, although he's pretty good natured on his own. Perhaps ventrilofarting everyone you meet is not exactly being a bully but it's not very nice either.

Since you have to build up some animosity between your Sims to even get the "fight" option I don't see how your fun wrestling would be possible. I think that would fall under the pranking being a plus when they have a high enough relationship. Fighting at any time seems to build animosity and all the fight mod does is give your Sim a body score so the more fights he's in the higher his chance of winning them. You can also use the play option of "punch you punch me" as an alternative for that wrestling match. Grouchy Sims always see to end up punching too hard at some point in that game.

I do wish at times that some of my nice Sims could be a bit more assertive and not just stand there and whimper when some mean townie picks on them.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 10:21 PM
I had a Sim who was born in game with 0 nice points. But he came from a loving family, was happy & had lots of friends. The only odd thing about him was, his hair went prematurely gray as soon as he started college!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 10:31 PM
Sometimes I purposely make grouchy Sims, but that's only if I have a certain story planned for them. For example, I have a Sim based off of this Pokemon character. His character is very mean and likes to push others around. I like it when he picks fights with other Sims---he's acting just like the character I based him off of.
Although, I haven't seen any fights in my game for a while. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

My only Sims that are completely nice are the ones born in-game. My legacy founder's daughter has 10 nice points, while her brothers and sister only have between 1 and 3 points. :/

|| Tumblr ||
transmogrified
staff: retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 11:00 PM
I randomize by star sign rather than individual personality traits when I create Sims. I believe that means the fewest "nice" points one of my CAS-generated Sims will have is 3. However, my game-born Sims do run all the way down to zero nice points. Sometimes I get the feeling that my whole neighborhood is grouchy, based on the number of Sims who take joy in clobbering others while playing catch, but it turns out that the average across all Sims for whom I have data (395 Sims) is 5.2. Average, indeed.
Instructor
#7 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 11:21 PM
I had two Sims who were both brothers that shared the exact same personality points (they're in-game born). Both had zero nice points, but one of them seemed to be more like a nice sim trapped inside a mean sim's body. He always hated it when I'd make him terrorize his family members, while his brother would be like the exact opposite and be all-too-delighted to serve his bro a knuckle sandwich.

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 1:40 AM
I had Sims that i were using as the cast of a teenage pregnancy show so i had to move my main characters boyfriend's mom and him into the main characters house admittedly after they moved in her my characters mom didn't except a friendly hug and started poking and arguing with my characters boyfriends mom and they cried in every scene it really messed my show up
Test Subject
#9 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 1:45 AM
I never done tha t but I might have to try that! 3 i think has been the most for me.
Inventor
#10 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 1:58 AM
Lately it seems most of my sims are able to crank call, I rarely bother to check what they are lol, I didn't realise it was a result of grouchiness. xD
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 4:37 AM
Crank calling might seem kinda juvenile but in this case, Juanita Lothario is playful enough to have the 'childish' trait if this were The Sims 3. Besides that, crank calling just opens up some opportunities for developing relationships during the night, rather than waiting for the other sim to wake up. So far, Juanita's made two friends by crank-calling.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 5:07 AM
I like to have more nice Sims than Grouchy. Because my goodness, they are like...Mean. But I have to admit I do like when you are making your Sim, and you make him or her on the Grouchy side, I like when they punch the teddy bear, and honestly...I don't know why. But if you don't like your Sim being SUPA grouchy, have his or her's parents encourage niceness.

>.> ^.^

But yeah, nice Sims, I like. I mean I suppose I've had Grouchy ones...But my goodness..They were honestly...No fun -.-"

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 6:34 AM
Don can't really encourage any niceness in Juanita... she may hafta drink magically spiced sugar for the rest of her life ^^; but she does have the popularity aspiration and fast friendship benefit so she's doing pretty well socially despite her antisocial tendencies like noogieing.
Scholar
#14 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 7:19 AM
I've got a lot of Grouchy sims in my Strangetown. Some came with the neighborhood, others were born into it, and some were created by me. I've also got a lot of Nice sims that came in through the same means. Those sims have coexisted (relatively) peacefully, and you can't throw a rock without hitting a Grouchy/Nice pair (and if you do, run). I don't have simparents encourage niceness or grouchiness in any of their children. What they come out as is what they are, though I have been known to let them encourage traits such as neatness/sloppiness or activity in some cases if it "fits" the simkid's behavior better (like with Difficult Subject: her 3 neat points were just getting in her way of joining her dad at the curbside garbage buffet).

I'm a pretty hands-off player, and I've found that some Grouchy sims (in the 0 or 1 nice point range) are surlier than others, and the same goes for Nice sims as well. For example, Stella (Terrano) Gieke --who's a Nice sim! -- has the habit of insulting others, and 10-points-nice Howitzer Grunt can hold a grudge like nobody's business. Alternately, 1-point-nice Scooter Howell and his 0-points-nice werewife Anne-Marie make friends easily and rarely pick fights, and 0-points-nice Siggeir Beaker likes to hug everyone and is a generally peaceful sim. I've also got vicious 1-point-nice Ruby (Valley) Subject, but she does have her soft spots as well... and one of those soft-spots is her 10-points-nice pacifist husband Grimm. Really, it varies. Most of my dedicated fight-pickers have between 3-5 nice points.

Treat them like a "regular" sim -- ie. don't select "annoy," "argue," etc. -- and you may be surprised by how nice your grouches can be .

(And crank call can be pretty useful. I'm sort of lost without it with my single Nice sims and Nice/Nice pairs.)
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 7:50 AM
I generally can't stand grouchy sims. They bring out my sim-torturing instincts with their tantrum throwing dance.

But surprisingly, I really like a few grouchy sims like Consort and Albany Capp. Albany keeps my community lots full of drama. Though, why he needs so many old newspapers, I don't know.

I like General Buzz too. There's something funny about a general going "hup-two-three-four" on everybody. The psycho-killer lady Olive Specter intrigues me as well.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 4:30 AM
I like them not too nice, not too grouchy.

Not grouchy enough to pick fights if I'm not watching them (the little sneaks), but not too nice to stand up for themselves. So probably around 3-7 Nice points.

I can't stand to play the Beakers for that one reason. Though one time they had a child with 10 Nice points!

My Riverblossom Hills blog! Alexandra's Riverblossom Hills
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 6:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraSpears
I like them not too nice, not too grouchy.

Not grouchy enough to pick fights if I'm not watching them (the little sneaks), but not too nice to stand up for themselves. So probably around 3-7 Nice points.

I can't stand to play the Beakers for that one reason. Though one time they had a child with 10 Nice points!

The Beakers were pretty fun to play actually, and Loki and Circe love each other and their kids. So even though they don't like playing or hugging all that much, it doesn't make for a crippling condition. Loki, with all his grouchiness, is best friends with Nervous, even though Nervous is a surly little slob. And Nervous is a good daddy as well, helping his daughter with homework and stuff, and having wants like for her to be an overachiever, get scholarships, stuff like that. And he's able to have a girlfriend, so really, grouchy doesn't mean unable to function or have friends - it just means the sim in question will have different ways of relating to others and making friends.

Now if I were to make copies of some of my favourite sims in The Sims 3, I think the possible traits I'd give to Nervous would be Insane, Slob, Neurotic, Hot-Headed, Couch Potato... or swap one or more with something like Loner, No Sense of Humor or Shy, or even Nurturing, Family Oriented, Animal Lover or Good. Loki would probably be Insane, possibly Evil and Inappropriate, or even Mean Spirited, and of course 'Clean Freak'. Another possibility would be 'Genius' and 'Daredevil' or 'Brave' while Circe would probably have the 'Coward' trait.

Juanita Lothario would likely be Hot-Headed, Mean-Spirited, Inappropriate, possibly Rebellious and later on 'Childish' what with her love for pranks.
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 8:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firelira78
I generally can't stand grouchy sims. They bring out my sim-torturing instincts with their tantrum throwing dance.

But surprisingly, I really like a few grouchy sims like Consort and Albany Capp. Albany keeps my community lots full of drama. Though, why he needs so many old newspapers, I don't know.

I like General Buzz too. There's something funny about a general going "hup-two-three-four" on everybody. The psycho-killer lady Olive Specter intrigues me as well.

Olive Specter? OLIVE SPECTER?! My goodness, every time that I am in Strangtown, and for some reason Cold Issue Clothing or the Museum. That woman shows up, and there has to be like four or five fights...I am like..REALLY?! REALLY?! And on top of that, she steals a lot of my papers -.-" And so does General Buzz. And this random chick in a black dress, whom, by the way is always primping.

BUT then again, the girl that wears the black dress, was married to one of my Sims. Come to find out, that she has like no points on the grouchy/nice bar. So, she is a b**** >.> Ahem, oh yeah.

I go with nice Sims any day. Grouchy Sims are just...Blech -.-"

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Field Researcher
#19 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 8:51 AM
I love grouchy sims. I have the full spectrum of 0-10 nice points in my hoods, but I must say I prefer the grouchy ones, the nice ones are a bit boring. Grouchy is much more entertaining. And, I do have a thing for bad boys/girls... don't care for "the boys/girls next door" much. :P

The stealing of newspapers is really lame though. I mean, my 0-nice-points-head-of-bada$$-criminal-family who looks like he'd eat you for breakfast, stealing people's newspapers? Seriously? Yeah, really cool. NOT.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore Raven
Olive Specter? OLIVE SPECTER?! My goodness, every time that I am in Strangtown, and for some reason Cold Issue Clothing or the Museum. That woman shows up, and there has to be like four or five fights...I am like..REALLY?! REALLY?! And on top of that, she steals a lot of my papers -.-" And so does General Buzz. And this random chick in a black dress, whom, by the way is always primping.

BUT then again, the girl that wears the black dress, was married to one of my Sims. Come to find out, that she has like no points on the grouchy/nice bar. So, she is a b**** >.> Ahem, oh yeah.

I go with nice Sims any day. Grouchy Sims are just...Blech -.-"

Who wins? Olive or the other person? I have seen a video of I think... Tank Grunt? losing a fight with Olive. That would HAVE to hurt. And once when I was playing the Curious household, for some reason Vidcund was furious at Olive. Does she ever shove people for spying on her?
Scholar
#21 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 11:29 AM
Ok so my very nice plantsim (8 nice points) runs the town produce stand. I'm playing his lot today and one of the townies does the whole "you skeeve me" shudder at my Sim. They have never met before but apparently her turnoff must be plantsims. Anyway he out of the blue goes over and insults her. No other dialog had been exchanged she just walked past and did the skeeve action (no idea what that is actually called) so I'm thinking he was responding to the action. He's the most mild manner guy, I mean come on he's a plant afterall, but he was really after this townie. Unfortunately I didn't want his business to take a dive so I made her leave the lot.

I guess sometimes it has nothing to do with being grouchy when they start arguing.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDacapo
Do you ever deliberately make extremely grouchy sims - and I mean grouchy enough to crank call?

Yes.

Oh, you want more? I think, like Peni, I want the variety and I also don't want a neighbourhood filled with 'nice' sims. I have some nice sims but un-nice sims are more interesting to me for story-telling purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDacapo
Also, I've heard about this 'fight club' mod - with that mod, do fights still hurt relationships? I hope this isn't a silly question... it's just that I would like one where a fight could be friendly - like wrestling. There are some people who will bond over a good rassle.

Part of the purpose of the fight club mod is to maintain antagonistic relationships at rock bottom. So, no, I guess it's not nice. It was made by Pescado after all. He's not nice either.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 3:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashfan
Ok so my very nice plantsim (8 nice points) runs the town produce stand. I'm playing his lot today and one of the townies does the whole "you skeeve me" shudder at my Sim. They have never met before but apparently her turnoff must be plantsims. Anyway he out of the blue goes over and insults her. No other dialog had been exchanged she just walked past and did the skeeve action (no idea what that is actually called) ...
PREJUDICE!

Re: the Beakers: They've had a 10-points-nice child in my game too, before! I also have had good luck with Loki and especially Nervous as parents. Circe... not so much (jerk lectured one of her twins for wetting his/her diaper- can't remember which one). She seems to be learning to be more loving, though. Maybe it's easier for her now that they're children and more self-sufficient.

Before I was such a control freak with my sims that I didn't notice how, when on their own, they could go against their personalities. Buzz Grunt's son has 2 or 3 nice points but seems to be a good-natured kid so far. On the other hand, in a previous install I set 5-points-nice Tank up on a date with Violet Jocque and he just started arguing with her out of the blue. See, Tank, stuff like this is why you have no friends....
Mad Poster
#24 Old 26th Feb 2012 at 5:13 PM
I have a hard time with super-grouchy Popularity Sims (Brittany Upsnott is an example). I guess it's not really contradictory when you think about it...maybe to them "friends" are really "connections." And of course Popularity Sims want to be noticed.

As far as 5 points in a trait...I think they tend to exhibit behaviors from either end of the spectrum. Like a 5 points active Sim doesn't mind watching TV, but they're not exactly kicking and screaming when you direct them to work out.

My Riverblossom Hills blog! Alexandra's Riverblossom Hills
Field Researcher
#25 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 11:06 PM
I play a super neurotic female sim who hates dirty jokes. When someone tells her a dirty joke, it is as if she says "Yes, ha ha, very funny" and then turns her back at them, and crosses her arms and their relationship score drops 12 points so after a few dirty jokes, there is no more relationship.
That was such a strange sim lady, I thought, So, I checked her personality points and it was high playful and high nice, so I thought it is probably the nice ness being offended.
Page 1 of 3

Section jump