Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 486 (Who?), Viewed: 116490 times.
Page 14 of 20
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#326 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 3:10 PM
Try deleting the _KEY file altogether to force it to regenerate, that usually fixes any texture glitches.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH
Lab Assistant
#327 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 1:58 AM Last edited by Whismerhill : 4th Mar 2012 at 3:13 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Try deleting the _KEY file altogether to force it to regenerate, that usually fixes any texture glitches.

I guess the only way to do that is to open & save the world in caw, right ?
ho well have to redo everything then

edit: ok so I thought about a shortcut, redid the key file in the world before export then used S3PE to insert that key file in my final world
doesn't work, same result: yellow grass...
though I had a look at the new key file & it's interesting how things are concise : I mean previous key file had a bunch of terrain paint, but here this new one has only 2 lines

edit2: hum now that I think about it, I wonder if my problem wouldn't be related to "terrain paint unique IDs"
I read somewhere that terrain paint had unique IDs and at first it was a problem for custom terrain paint to work in worlds
what I mean is that this terrain paint comes from bridgeport, and I think it already exist in the game , so maybe there is a sort of " ID conflict"...
Original Poster
#328 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 3:17 AM
No, that shouldn't matter, the terrain paints can be used in multiple worlds with no issue.

By 'delete the _KEY, I meant to open your CAW world file in S3Pe, delete the _KEY and save in CAW so that it generates a fresh one. Is that what you did?

Don't reimport the _KEY from the original Twinbrook at all. But yes, you have to save it in CAW for the _KEY to be regenerated.

RUSH
Lab Assistant
#329 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 3:44 PM Last edited by Whismerhill : 5th Mar 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Quote:
By 'delete the _KEY, I meant to open your CAW world file in S3Pe, delete the _KEY and save in CAW so that it generates a fresh one. Is that what you did?
yes
Quote:
Don't reimport the _KEY from the original Twinbrook at all.
no I didn't do that at first, however I tried it just for fun, it did change some things, some was still yellowish, the rest was "brownish yuck" ... I think

At this point I thought my asphalt layer might just be broken so
I restarted on my backup CAW world "just before export"
this time I deleted the whole problematic layer & redid it
then usual procedure :
-export
-put sims3pack in downloads folder
-install sims3pack with sims 3 launcher
-test in game => no yellow color here
-move generated world file
-uninstall with sims 3 launcher (and delete sims3pack)
-insert missing & replacement files in generated world file
-move & rename world file so as to replace original twinbrook
-delete caches & world caches (just to be sure)
-play => no more yellow terrain paint

so that worked.

And finally it almost works with a previous savegame
only added lots don't work ("blue" empty emplacements), the rest seems fine

EDIT: thanks a lot for all your help simsample
Original Poster
#330 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:36 PM
Ah, so you're installing this to your DCCache files? That's not a great idea as you're making this as a default replacement; a better idea would be to place it in [Install Location]\Electronic Arts \The Sims 3 Ambitions \GameData \Shared \NonPackaged \Worlds to replace the existing Twinbrook.world file. backup the original first, though!

The reason for this is that if you have two copies installed (one to the DCCache and one in the game files) which both have the same ID, the game will treat them as the same world and will possibly glitch, at least regarding caches.

The original Twinbrook uses the cache in [Install Location] \Electronic Arts \The Sims 3 Ambitions \Caches, so that could have been the cause of the original texture problem. I would (backup and then) remove that file (Twinbrook.objectCache) when you put your new Twinbrook to replace the original, thinking about it.

The blue lot problem is expected though, save games rarely work correctly once the world file has been changed.

RUSH
Lab Assistant
#331 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 1:29 PM
Quote:
Ah, so you're installing this to your DCCache files?

no, not at all I actually installed it to the correct path, not sure what lets you think that
Quote:
The original Twinbrook uses the cache in [Install Location] \Electronic Arts \The Sims 3 Ambitions \Caches, so that could have been the cause of the original texture problem. I would (backup and then) remove that file (Twinbrook.objectCache) when you put your new Twinbrook to replace the original, thinking about it.

Ha! that's interesting I'll actually look into that

Quote:
The blue lot problem is expected though, save games rarely work correctly once the world file has been changed.
Although I completely understand why the blue lot are an expected problem and although I tried it, it didn't suprise me that much.But besides lots, save games actually can work with a changed world file: mostly changed terrain, added/changed roads, changed simrouting, changed/added world objects (as long as those changes don't alter any pre-existing lot). However all lot placement/replacement must be done once in the savegame itself it seems.
This is a bit problematic when one needs to place lots with a very high precision to make them fit.
A word of warning though, for other people who would read my posts & want to do the same, I use both awesome & twallan debugenabler & errortrap. those mods allow to catch some errors like probably if a sim got stuck following a world change...
(not advising to use them, just stating...)

Anyway, I gave up on replacing twinbrook and will just use it as a "newtwinbrook" (with a new WPID) but even in this case, some long range views of some lots are borked.

those lots are perfectly fine once you loaded a family & see them from up close

I'm fixing those by loading each borked lot, doing a small modification (like add + remove a n object) then exiting (saving if necessary), & the game updates the "long range view"
But I wonder if there wouldn't be a way to do this in one go. My searches were not successful. World cache delete won't fix anything. And didn't have that problem in CAW/EIG...
Original Poster
#332 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 1:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whismerhill
no, not at all I actually installed it to the correct path, not sure what lets you think that

Um, this?
Quote:
-put sims3pack in downloads folder
-install sims3pack with sims 3 launcher

For the blue lots- oh I see, you mean you changed lots in the world file? I thought you meant that lots had been added in the save game, and that they did not show correctly in the new world. In that case, I'm betting that the resources I couldn't identify have something to do with that, possibly it would work if you don't replace those UNKN resources. Also, that may have something to do with the static caches too.

I don't know of any way to fix those lots if they show up correctly in EIG. If they were corrupted in EIG I would recommend to refresh all of the textures in the world file, but if they are fine in EIG it can't be that.

RUSH
Field Researcher
#333 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 2:52 PM
Quote:
Anyway, I gave up on replacing twinbrook and will just use it as a "newtwinbrook" (with a new WPID) but even in this case, some long range views of some lots are borked. those lots are perfectly fine once you loaded a family & see them from up close

I'm fixing those by loading each borked lot, doing a small modification (like add + remove a n object) then exiting (saving if necessary), & the game updates the "long range view"
But I wonder if there wouldn't be a way to do this in one go. My searches were not successful. World cache delete won't fix anything. And didn't have that problem in CAW/EIG...

I had that exact problem when I had to open up a test version of a town I made after I lost the CAW files. I ended up saving the lots in EIG, deleting the lots in CAW, and then replacing everything. If I had only known a small modification could fix the LOD! Anywho, thanks for the tip, it'll be useful if that problem ever arises again.
Lab Assistant
#334 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:54 PM Last edited by Whismerhill : 8th Mar 2012 at 12:42 AM.
@simsample
Installing a sims3pack world puts the world file to "installedworlds", doesn't it ?
Said world file is then easy to move to the right folder ...
at least that's what I did
not sure what dccache got to do with this, I never got anything more than 2 1kb files in there anyway

And about cache files, yeah well, if the devs didn't just put cache files everywhere, it would probably be easier to work... just deleted a 2GB Twinbrook.objectCache LOL

@cutsocks
my pleasure

I found this because I thought that when one makes a change to a lot, the actual display when zoomed out also changes. So it's only logical that the LOD is updated, but it has to be a real change... so don't use the "undo" button. And it really only works if the actual real size version of the lot is ok.

edit:
I tried to see if deleting twinbrook.objectcache changed anything to previous bluelots, it doesn't. So, end of line, adding lots to a worldfile will not work when a pre-existing savegame is then loaded.Still the rest works, so it's kinda cool for those who would just want to do "expanded versions" of their own worlds without having to start over or transfer sims to a new savegame...
Original Poster
#335 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 2:38 PM
Quote:
@simsample
Installing a sims3pack world puts the world file to "installedworlds", doesn't it ?

Yes, but it also adds a reference to the DCCache file. A world in the Installed Worlds folder will not show up in game unless there is also a reference in the DCCache.

RUSH
Test Subject
#336 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 12:52 PM
During editing premade world, will my save game loose its features, like relationships, memories etc?
Original Poster
#337 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 9:06 PM
Lidaya, if you edit a world in CAW then a save game you made with a previous version of the world will not work for the new version.

RUSH
Test Subject
DELETED POST
22nd Mar 2012 at 6:24 PM
Default Help! Need information about your motivation to play the SIMS for study project!
This message has been deleted by simsample.
Test Subject
#338 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 7:57 AM
Hi everyone. I've read through both posts on this topic and I'm eager to try to edit a world that I downloaded. I enjoy the world as-is... EXCEPT for its pain-in-the-neck routing issues, which I intent to fix in CAW.

The trouble is that I must be missing something very, very simple on this step:

This is the posted Default path ---> C:\Program Files\The Sims 3 Late Night\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds\Bridgeport.world

But what's the path for custom worlds? None of my game data world folders have the custom world file inside of them. So either I'm doing something wrong or... something is wrong with my game.
Original Poster
#339 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 3:49 PM
Can you tell me what you are attempting to do? For example, do you have the world open in CAW, are you trying to install it?

Custom worlds are packaged as Sims3Pack files and installed in the same way as all Sims3Pack files.

RUSH
Test Subject
#340 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:07 PM
The world is already installed; I am playing a version that I populated myself, but as a sims3pack it was unpopulated. I want to open the original, unpopulated world in CAW and fix the routing.

I've made the three files on my desktop as described in the second method. But then it says "find your packed world." Where -is- the packed world? (I assumed that this does not refer to the sims3pack!) I can't find the packed world in any of the game data files. The one place I think I did find it was in the "installed worlds" directory of my documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 folder, where it ends with ".world"
Original Poster
#341 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 5:36 PM
Ah, I see now- yes, it is in the InstalledWorlds folder, which is where all custom worlds are installed to when you install them using Launcher.

Custom content it not installed to the Game install files at all- just to your User Data (Documents folder).

RUSH
Test Subject
#342 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 5:44 PM
Okay, thanks! I will try this out and report back with any successes or errors.
Test Subject
#343 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 8:54 PM
Will editing a world in CAW replace the original? Cause i dont want to do that, I just want to edit the world and save it and have 2 versions. If it does replace the original world, is there anyway to have it NOT replace the original world?
Original Poster
#344 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 9:15 PM
If you want to have two versions of a world then you need to make sure your edited version has a new WPID. To do that, follow this tutorial:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=430249

Make sure that after you delete the WPID you give the world a new name and description.

RUSH
Test Subject
DELETED POST
23rd Mar 2012 at 10:02 PM
This message has been deleted by Mandalion. Reason: problem resolved
Test Subject
#345 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 11:31 PM
Well my first try was a fail.

Followed the steps for the second method, but when I went to open the world in CAW, it said "unable to load." Same error for everything else I try to open, too. My patches are up to date and this is the most recent version of CAW (to my knowledge - I just downloaded and installed it today)...

Googling the problem, I see that it's usually solved by loading a backup of the world. But in this case there is no backup.

So I figured okay.... I'll just try the FIRST method, then!

But I can't get very far because CAW won't even let me create a new, large-size flat world. When I go to select the heigh map it says "invalid height map: image is not a PNG file." Argh.

And I can't get the riverview_lite or sunvalley_lite that comes with CAW to open, either. Man, I haven't used CAW in over 6 mos, but my previous experience with it never came with so many problems.

I will keep trying to google and troubleshoot a solution. Meanwhile, if anyone has any "quick fix" ideas, I'd gladly take them.
Original Poster
#346 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalion
But I can't get very far because CAW won't even let me create a new, large-size flat world. When I go to select the heigh map it says "invalid height map: image is not a PNG file." Argh.

Download the latest version of CAW from the Sims 3 site and reinstall; that error seems to indicate a problem with the installation.

Make sure you have the latest game patches too, or else the latest CAW won't work!

More help here:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

RUSH
Test Subject
#347 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:08 PM
I have reinstalled and still have the same issue. My version of CAW (downloaded directly from EA's site, and presumably current) is 1.16.2, and my game is version 1.33.2. But from what I've read online, CAW 1.16.2 is meant to go with game version 1.31. Have other people been able to run CAW version 1.16 with game 1.33?
Original Poster
#348 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:37 PM
Yes, I'm running 1.16 with gameversion 1.33.

Did you try everything here?
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441595

Make sure you test with fresh user files and no CC too.

RUSH
Test Subject
#349 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 11:29 AM Last edited by simsample : 15th Apr 2012 at 4:40 PM. Reason: Merged posts
I really need help.

I am editing an EA premade world and I have done something so that I cannot view the "Fog" anymore.

I can click and click View Fog but it doesn't show up.

Under View, all of my layers are checked to be viewable. And View Fog is checked as well. But it does not show. I have no fog over the land and my blue water is gone. I can see the water effect, but there is no blue, leaving the edges of everything able to be seen.

I have no idea what I've done and no idea how to fix it.

Help?

And now I have a second problem/question.

I deleted all the layers EA had created which included all the lots and buildings. I only kept the Distant Terrain and Effects. I even deleted all the trees from the layer, but kept the layer.

While I was placing lots, I saw I have three Sims hanging in the air above my lots. It won't let me delete them in CAW. How do I go about deleting them in EIG?

Thanks.

Thanks so much.
Test Subject
DELETED POST
15th Apr 2012 at 4:33 PM
This message has been deleted by simsample. Reason: Merged posts
Original Poster
#350 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 4:40 PM
Hey bjnicol, for the fog problem, which world are you editing? If it is one of the EA worlds that has custom sea and sky parameters then most likely you are seeing the effects of the colour ramps when they are loaded without the ini files. When you save in CAW, the ini files will be discarded, but the colour ramps remain. You need to delete the colour ramps also to fix this. To do that, open the world in S3PE and delete the following if they are present:
S3_00B2D882_0076A684_ECCBBCB773C02131%%+_IMG.dds
S3_00B2D882_0076A684_7529C26EE8E2A9E6%%+_IMG.dds
S3_00B2D882_0076A684_28C841C9462BCDE0%%+_IMG.dds
S3_00B2D882_0076A684_E422CDDE7FE1F25F%%+_IMG.dds
S3_00B2D882_0076A684_F0A86F660985BF20%%+_IMG.dds
Then save and close.

For the sims, the best way I've found to get rid of those is with Awesomemod. The command 'destroyallhumans' should work in EIG mode. Please read through the thread though as there are some posts by people who have tried this and had varying results, so there may be some tips you can pick up from there.

RUSH
Page 14 of 20

Section jump