Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 49 (Who?), Viewed: 13398 times.
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 10:39 AM
Default My Sims 3 rant about Showtime and stuff
Okay, I'm not that kind of girl who always goes mad about every single thing, and throw it at the world... but now I reached a point where I just cannot simply keep it to myself.

I am a huge Sims 3 fan. Always been, since the first Sims game I felt this is the perfect game for me. Nothing could ever beat it, not even RPGs.
Even when I had to browse the internet for problem solving the 99th time again, and reinstall again, and sort out my mods again I loved this game.
But then I heard about Showtime.
What's my problem with this EP that haven't even came out yet? That I know it will be terribly boring. That I know, I do not want this EP. That I know, it will not improve the Sims 3 experience... it will only degrade it more.
With each and every EP I hoped. Maybe we will really get more life in the game. Maybe our dear little pixel people can actually do new stuff, instead of doing the same thing again, and again, and again. Maybe they will finally be able to swim in the frakkin ocean.
But now I know, that the cake is a lie. The Sims Feeling is dying, if not already dead.
My poor sims will always be stupid, pudding faced fugly creatures that can read forever till they die from hunger, if I don't take that stupid book away from them.
If not everyone had became a damned celebrity for now in my town, now they'll be. Frakkin. Celebrities.
Not even the mods can save them.

Of course, I could leave out this EP. But this still means that this EP is crap, EA is crap, and they are destroying my favourite game ever. And this makes me angry. And sad.

And I bet, if they will ever give us weather, or hobbies... they will frak up that too.

Thanks for listening.

We are the Felegands. We will kick your ass.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 11:23 AM
I'm with you.
Showtime is the first EP I will not buy. New hobbies or careers is not, what I want. I want more interactions with surroundings or other sims. More possibilities of social life for my sims.

Yeah! And I think, if EA will give us weather, our video cards will burn.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 11:34 AM
I suppose then you have decided not buying it, right? Because, if people don't buy it, that can be a message to EA not to create such type of EPs as they are not successful financially.

But - if you hate it AND buy it - problem won't be solved - the next type of celeb-game EP will come.

You know, I agree with you in most of your complaints, but I know at the same time, it's just a matter of my taste. I don't like these "Be a Star"-type tv shows, I don't watch them at all, and I don't like the tendency in Sims 3 to "Be a Celeb above all". I'm too old for that, over 30 I know that not all teens can be top hit singers, it's a lie. I feel too adult for a teeny Showtime, so I won't buy it, but I don't make sleepless night and I won't be furious about it. Not buying, problem solved.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 11:39 AM
I second most of that, and especially: People, if you really really don't like this, PLEASE don't buy it!
Test Subject
DELETED POST
27th Feb 2012 at 2:55 PM
This message has been deleted by leesester. Reason: tsk tsk
Forum Resident
#5 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 3:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floraflora2
I suppose then you have decided not buying it, right? Because, if people don't buy it, that can be a message to EA not to create such type of EPs as they are not successful financially.

Unfortunately, if you head over to The Sims 3 forums everybody is like "OMG! Best EP ever!" and already have it on pre-order.

It's hopeless.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 3:40 PM
Actually, No not everyone over there is happy about this new EP. There is an uproar overthere due to EA changing the game style of the TS3 in midstream. The new Social Features/Simport/The Wall MyPage/ are the reasons this EP is not liked so much.

With this new EP and the new patch TS3 will become a co op game. No longer a Single Player game. For the first time ever in a Sims series game, you have to depend on a 'friend' to unlock content you paid for but locked in the game until you use Simport.

It won't be available in buydebug as other unlockables. And only Simporting over the internet and earning Stamps will unlock that. Though I hope modders will break the code and unlock the rewards alreadypaid for when the EP is purchased.

Also, many of us feel the Achievements/badge system being implemented into this EP and all others already in game and to be added later, is a form of RPG game play. And it is our op that this will no longer be an openended/sandbox game.

I feel personally, EA is out of ideas of how to make interactions and animations better and therefore are taking their TS3 series and later games (TS4) down a road we hoped they would never go. Due to their president demaning all games have a Social connection it may not be their fault but once you have finished more than 90 (send Sim/host Sim) objectives the replay abilitity of this EP and later EPs are going to be horrible. A form of 'questing' to Simport and also earn badges by how many times your Sim works out, farts, eats a hotdog etc.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiinii
I second most of that, and especially: People, if you really really don't like this, PLEASE don't buy it!

The funniest/saddest thing over at thesims3.com forum are those people that protest Simport, the Social Feature and the new upcoming thread in pretty much every thread and then say they'll buy TWO copies of SHT so they can simport with themselves. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

"I hate you EA for what you're doing to this franchise so I'll pay you twice for the same product to show youu my distaste!"

Yeah,... that'll show'em!

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Scholar
#8 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 5:08 PM
I'm a fairly recent Sims player - only since Dec 2007 but I've come to love this game because it's a STANDALONE sandbox game for ME and only ME!! I'm a huge MMORPG player and I need some downtime sometimes and this game does that for me. I'm also one of those players that if I don't want an EP, I won't get it - plain and simple. For the Sims 2, I got every EP there except University and Pets and only 3 SP's, for Sims 3, I've got every EP except Pets and most definitely will not be getting SHT - no SP's yet. I know we will be getting those social features with the patch which annoys me to no end. I'm patched to 1.29 and won't grab another patch until I absolutely have to.

My husband also plays Sims 2 and Sims 3... I've moved on to just Sims 3 and we buy 2 of everything for our Sims game. EA won't be losing out on us not buying this EP because we buy most of their other games. However, if EA doesn't bring out weather in The Sims 3, Generations will be our last EP and if that's the case, I'm going to be very sad and just play my game the way it is until Sims 4 gets released... but only if it's not online and is still standalone.

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg

You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand
Scholar
#9 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 5:11 PM
I personally love the sound of it...have it on pre-order and can't wait to get it....

the whole darned thing sounds fun....!
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 5:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoon_crazy
Unfortunately, if you head over to The Sims 3 forums everybody is like "OMG! Best EP ever!" and already have it on pre-order.

It's hopeless.

As someone who has kept a close eye on the Showtime official forum these past couple of months (although not so much lately), I have no idea what you're talking about here. There is quite a lot of opposition there, most notably from Jarsie9. Yes, there are still the cheerleaders, but many of them are just as pissed about the social features/SimPort crap as anyone over here.

Now, the Sims 3 Facebook page is I'm sure a whole other story and probably looks much more like what you describe.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 5:53 PM
Simport? I don't much want my 'friends' abusing my Sims, and what do I hear about them locking content? Is it true?

My Simblr: Here
Scholar
#12 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 6:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotrFanboy
Now, the Sims 3 Facebook page is I'm sure a whole other story and probably looks much more like what you describe.

Actually there's a lot of general hostility there, too. Not necessarily just SHT-based, more critical of EA as a whole.

About LL: "Well if you're going to sell it for $22-24, then you shoulda just made it a stuff pack EA. Stupids" "I'm not paying for a new world until Aliens are an option." "Once again, EA advertises a new thing, but does not include all the items they advertised. The "over 20 new items" list is actually only 16. Huge company that can't do simple math. Yeah, trust them with your money." "Honestly I wish I had saved my money. While it is pretty landscape I wouldn't buy it again if I could do it over....too much money for getting so little"

About the More Magic store stuff: "Or you COULD just make a magic expansion instead of making 4 magic items and pricing them so that they cost as much as an expansion." "DLC: You are doing it wrong!" "Not a cool reward for spending 600 on each item."

EA question 'ever imagine sims interactions around real people?': "no, healthy people dont do these things."

About SHT's social features: "However, I am so disappointed in this SHOWTIME expansion pack... I think i speak for a lot of experiences simmers when i say I'm not buying it." "What happens when you don't have friends? am I supposed to go and befriend complete strangers to take advantage of a game feature? because that won't be happening..." "what happened to just playing a game without having to all this other nonsense." "Is this a joke?" " i'm not going to be using this feature... cause after awhile it will get annoying just like the memories..." "i hope to god theres an option to disable it." "That looks so annoying." And my favorite, "...meh."

I hope whatever entry-level positioned kid got the job of having to run EA's facebook page is smart enough to avoid reading the comments, because if he's not, he now has severe self-esteem issues.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 6:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedSim
With this new EP and the new patch TS3 will become a co op game. No longer a Single Player game. For the first time ever in a Sims series game, you have to depend on a 'friend' to unlock content you paid for but locked in the game until you use Simport.

This is what ticks me off the most about the whole SimPort thing. The Sims franchise has always been a single player sandbox life simulation. That's what made it the most popular game in history. Now Sims 3 comes along, and it too starts off as more or less a single player sandbox game, albeit with more RPG-style gameplay than we've seen before. So many fans invest hundreds of dollars into this new installment, buying not only the base game but EPs, SPs, and even store items in hopes of one day--just like Sims 1 and 2 before--having a "complete" game. But what does EA do? Right in the middle of the series they say, "Hey, we know the Sims has always been a single player sandbox, but we're changing that now. We think single player games are dead. So now we're going to make this a social game requiring outside help to play it, if you want the full experience. It'll be fun!"

Um, no it won't, EA. No it won't. Even those who are naive enough to think they'll actually enjoy this will find out really fast what an not-so-fun grindfest it'll be to unlock all of these SimPort rewards. In case any of you are still unaware, it will take 90 SimPort uses to "unlock" everything. 90! You know how quickly that will get old? EA is trying to turn this game into an MMORPG where you have to grind through a bunch of repetitive tasks in order to "unlock" the next reward. It's a giant slap in the face to traditional, life-long simmers everywhere, who love the Sims in large part because it's NOT a typical co-op, RPG game but an open world where you play God and make your OWN story on your OWN time by your OWN damn self.

THAT is what is so unforgivable about this. EA promises us one thing in the beginning (more of the same single player sandbox fun we all love and are accustomed to) only to midway through the series change the rules. Now the fans who have already spent hundreds in hopes of one day having a complete Sims 3 experience are left with either stopping here and living with an incomplete game (or going back to Sims 1 or 2), or pinching their noses and throwing even MORE money at this beast in the hopes that EA doesn't screw it up even further.

Now, it's EA's game and they have the right to do with it as they wish. If they want to change the game into a boring, repetitive, MMORPG piece of crap, they're more than free to do so. But it would have been nice of them to give us a heads up about this back in 2009, so those of us who HATE seeing that type of gameplay come to the Sims could skip this third edition altogether, rather than bleeding hundreds of dollars into a sinking ship. It's just downright crummy what EA has done, even borderline unethical.

Thanks EA for ruining what was once a great SINGLE PLAYER SANDBOX game. Good luck chasing the crowd of American Idol obsessed teenyboppers who spend half their time on Facebook and Twitter. And don't worry, when they get bored and/or run out of their parents money (as that demographic does all so quickly and easily), you can always morph the game into yet another experience in your quest to cash in on all the latest fads.

Hey, I hear first-person shooters are pretty popular. Maybe when you're done with the social media/celebrity and fame stuff, you could incorporate a little Call of Duty action into the Sims. Who needs weather and businesses when you can blow up shit! I'm sure the 18-26 male demographic will eat it right up. You'll make millions. And that's all that matters, right?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 6:42 PM
Actually since you don't have to download the rewards from the site, won't a modder be able to unlock the rewards just like many other objects hidden in the game? I'm planning to use Simport until this happens. :D

Quote:
See, that's why you need to be more like me. It's pretty obvious that I'm a big, terrible, mean person. If somebody says I am a terrible, mean person, I will just grin evilly....and be mean to them! It's good to be bad. *J.M. Pescado*
Mad Poster
#15 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 6:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotrFanboy
Hey, I hear first-person shooters are pretty popular. Maybe when you're done with the social media/celebrity and fame stuff, you could incorporate a little Call of Duty action into the Sims. Who needs weather and businesses when you can blow up shit! I'm sure the 18-26 male demographic will eat it right up. You'll make millions. And that's all that matters, right?

We can already blow up shit.

View my other downloads on MTS

www.mintrubbing.org
Scholar
#16 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 6:49 PM
Virgallibabe: And then we're back into the idea of a game only being tolerable once modders fix everything.

Quote:
And that's MY problem with it. EA is an international, well-established gaming company. They are supposedly capable professionals. There is no excuse for releasing such shoddy work that their player base goes "That game might be nice...after unpaid members of the community go through and fix everything EA broke." If your game is only even slightly tolerable once a third party remakes it, you are doing something wrong and don't deserve to be paid $40, $50, $60 for your half-a--ed work.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 6:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocobaura
We can already blow up shit.

Haha. Yeah, that's true...
Theorist
#18 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 2:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireSim
I'm with you.
Showtime is the first EP I will not buy. New hobbies or careers is not, what I want. I want more interactions with surroundings or other sims. More possibilities of social life for my sims.

Yeah! And I think, if EA will give us weather, our video cards will burn.

Yeah, especially since new careers can be downloaded through Mods and CCs, and we do not need a whole new EP just for an additional set of them
Eminence Grise
staff: retired moderator
#19 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 3:02 AM
Well, I will have to play ShowTime to see... I was initially quite hostile to it because of the social features, but as I read about it, I think it has quite a few things I will enjoy, and I think I have figured out that the stuff I DON'T like, I can turn off and/or ignore. But then I am not particularly fussed about realism, I enjoy Ambitions-type careers (which are NOT easy to add via mods), and I am a goal-oriented type player so I like the idea of achievements. I am also always happy when there is new food, collectibles and recipes. Of course, everybody has different preferences so YMMV

And yes, I am sure we will be able to get access to the unlockables, so that part does not worry me
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 4:02 AM
I'd like to see an open source alternative to The Sims, developed by the community. Does anything like this exist?

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Field Researcher
#21 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 9:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonFrog
I'd like to see an open source alternative to The Sims, developed by the community. Does anything like this exist?

God that would be great! I don't think it will ever happen though. If it is enough like sims to be an alternative to sims EA will bring in the lawyers.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 10:58 AM
Someone posted on the forums about a start-up thing (I forgot what they are called) where people donate money and once they reach the needed budget they go on and make the product. The problem is who would be interested in taking on that task upon them and who would fund such a thing? We would need a lot of donations to get something like that going and you can't market it as The Sims alternative because EA will crush you like a bug.

I would totally donate money if people were to make a serious attempt at getting it going though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zokugai
Virgallibabe: And then we're back into the idea of a game only being tolerable once modders fix everything.

I wasn't defending their tactics. I was just saying that we should be glad we at least have the modding community so we're not forced to play by their rules.

Quote:
Scholar
#23 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 3:07 PM
Yeah I know. It's just such a flaw on EA's part that everything comes right back to "It's okay, I'll be able to play the game once I strip out everything EA created."

Test Subject
#24 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 4:47 PM
You have to UNLOCK THINGS! No! I refuse!! I hate FB games for this reason. I shouldn't have to have loads of friends to be able to continue playing a game. Isn't that the reason I'm sitting on my laptop making pretend people and farming pretend crops and feed pretend animals in the first place? No? Oh... Seems even the blummin games are a popularity contest! I detest you social networking for making everyone friend orientated! I hate you EA! And I want SNOW!

That's my rant anyway. I've not been following the release of Showtime. I've been really busy with RL stuff that my pixel peoples have been kinda neglected but decided now I have time to play I'll see what the new installment has for me but now I wish I hadn't Won't be buying this one.

../The Most Beautiful Flowers in all the World, A Baby's Hands\..
Theorist
#25 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 4:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisfyre
However, if EA doesn't bring out weather in The Sims 3, Generations will be our last EP and if that's the case, I'm going to be very sad and just play my game the way it is until Sims 4 gets released... but only if it's not online and is still standalone.

You sound like me. After AMB, I went on a boycott until we either got Pets or Weather. I have my pets now it's back to my boycott until weather shows up. Off topic though, why in the hell can't sims swim in the damn water, how hard is that to program?
Page 1 of 2

Section jump