Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Locked thread | Replies: 37 (Who?), Viewed: 11256 times. | Locked by: spladoum Reason: Old-ish. Will unlock if OP wants to return to it.
Page 1 of 2
Mad Poster
staff: retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:19 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 27th Feb 2012 at 5:01 PM.
Default Port Piston - Design Document and Feedback
I am moving everything from the old thread into this new one with a better format. This will help me have a clearer vision as I put the finishing touches on this world, and really aid in the final push to get it released. The old thread will be deleted as soon as everything has been moved here.

Design Document:
Port Piston

Theme: A world where pirates mix with steampunk/dieselpunk motifs. Seafaring and industrial, with a history as a port and a technological hub. A home of simbots.

Resources:

Required Expansions: WA, HELS, AMB, FL, LN, GEN, OLS, PETS

Store Content:

Free
The Sims™ Renault Eco Pack
Riverview
Ambitions Registration Pack

Paid
Barnacle Bay
Steampunk
Steampunk: The Return
Steampunk Savvy
Victorian Fashions
Buccaneer's Bounty
Lock & Keys
Baker Boy

(Everyone better hope I don't get enough money to buy Lunar Lakes because I want to incorporate the pipes from it into Port Piston!)

Custom Content: (optional) armiel's Traditional Piano

Technical Challenges: Most have been overcome, but at this point: Making the world look smoggy.

Concepts:

Physical Description: Port Piston is an island, I like to think somewhere in the ocean between Bridgeport and Sunset Valley. The island is shaped like a seahorse, but that is not observable during most normal play. There are three distinct towns; Old Port Town, which is pirate themed; Botropolis, which is the economic and intellectual centre; Portside, which is industrial and has a tortured relationship with Botropolis.

Climate: It is very dreary and smoggy - smog, not so much fog, which provides one of the major technical challenges - a sepia tone to the air that isn't too overpowering. Dark seas.

History: It was initially a dumping ground for prototype simbots, and technically the town was founded by simbots, although most of that history was destroyed by human colonists. A lot of simbots still live there, descending from a group who call themselves the Golden Council. The official history ignores that the island was ever occupied by simbots:

"Many moons ago Admiral Landgraab harboured at the then uninhabited Port Piston on his journeys between Sim Nation and France. The island's rocky coves provided shelter from high seas. The island sat reasonably central to several shipping routes, and soon a settlers established a port. The small, prosperous town of Portside flourished, but at the same time pirates situated themselves on the far end of the island, hoping to plunder goods as ships came and left the ports. As the world beyond the island raced forward technologically, Port Pistoners tended to implement new technologies in archaic designs, and soon the island's innovation and unique aesthetic made it a technological hub in the Pasimfic Ocean. Nowadays a veritable city at sea, Port Piston bustles with its own unique flavour. Portside's low brick buildings set just metres above sea level contrasts starkly with the ornate towers of Botropolis on a coastal plateau, and above everything sits the majestic Cranial Rock Landing where Sims can find the mysterious Deathfish."

Inhabitants:

Lots of simbots. Lots of science fiction references.

Motifs:

Steampunk
- Rusted metals
- Cogs, gears, etc
- Balloons
- Steam vents.

Pirate
- Red stripes
- Ship wheels
- Aged woods
- Skulls

Design Decisions FAQ

This is just a section where I discuss my design decisions, to sort of make sure I have a broadly justified reason for them. Feel free to ask questions about the project.

(Q)Will you include POTC references?
(A)I won't be including any POTC references, mainly because I don't really know the films. I'm thinking more Orson Welles Treasure Island meets steam/dieselpunk dystopia. There will be lots of H G Wells and Robert Louis Stevenson references - Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde, Island of Dr Moreau, Long John Silver, etc.

(Q)"What's the white thing with holes in it about halfway down?"
(A) That's Cranial Rock Landing. It's a giant skull cut into the mountainside.

(Q)"You want to make this world for a big range of players - how much of the store content do you want to use? I mean, for example your world Niua Simoa was perfect even without the Tiki Set, will this be the case in this world as well?"
(A)I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do for my next project, and I actually decided to use quite a bit of store content for two reasons: (1) Barnacle Bay was offensively overpriced, and I want to add value to the purchase for those who bought it. (2) I felt like I wanted to use everything at my disposal for once. The world in its current form won't look very nice at all if you don't have all the store content and SPs that I'm listing as requirements. Another motivation to use the packs is that they were almost entirely gifted to me by forum users who enjoyed my worlds and wanted to see the content in Port Piston.

(Q)?
(A)

(Q)?
(A)

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:19 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 27th Feb 2012 at 5:11 PM.
Layout

Everything is laid now in terms of roads. Some lots have been shifted around. Matrix54 has aided massively and will be credited as a co-creator.

Portside:

Botropolis:

Old Port Town:

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:20 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 9th Mar 2012 at 4:53 AM.
Focal Points

Reference Images

Concept Art & Draft Sketches

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:20 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 27th Feb 2012 at 5:13 PM.
Inhabitants Design

Morsel Household
A fat steampunky tycoon who looks an awful lot like a walrus. Monocle!

Glovepuppet Household
Two sims based on Punch and Judy puppets. Hideous conical clothing, evoking glove puppets. They are married, hate each other, and Judy is preggers.

Coyle Household
Extremely wealthy, but pragmatic and virtuous. Hilda Coyle is an ill-dressed and eccentric old bat.

Moreau Household

The Sims in the Education career are all be based on highly intelligent non-human animals. Great apes, cetaceans, and birds in the family Corvidae. If I need another one I'll include pigs, although their brain to body mass is a bit lower than the others. They are all children of a Dr Moreau character.

Maximillion Moreau. (Mad Scientist)

Professor Florence Corvidae. (Resembles a crow).
Professor Nim Hominidae (Ape-like).
Professor Balaena Cetacea. (Blue and big and whale-like).
Professor Hogsly Suidae. (Piggish).

Remade EA Characters

I was running out of ideas so went to TS2 to see if there were any Sims I could incorporate. Opted to make Puck Summerdream, his wife Hermia, and their little daughter Lavinia.

Suggestions

From happyjme: "How about a time traveling, adventerous inventor that lives in an old Second Empire style mansion with secret rooms and tunnels that connect to eachother and lead to a hidden basement where the time machine and ancient relics are held. Maybe the house has a creepy attic where a child ghost lives. "The Time Machine" meets "Casper". Use the time machine from Ambitions and the ancient relics and tomb features from World Adventures. Diffrent rooms in the house can be set up to showcase diffrent places he or she has visited, Egyption stuff in the bedroom, Chinese stuff in the parlor, French stuff in the Dining room and another bedroom. Showing this person has been around the globe though all diffrent times. Maybe one room set up like the future too. Maybe he or she also has some children that have come back through the time machine as well, creating an interesting and confusing family time line! lol"

From babele44: "Seeing that your worlds are all somehow connected I suggest to include Alexandra O'Mackey from Riverblossom Hills. In order to complete her dream of becoming a Dread Pirate she made for Port Piston to attend lessons at the local pirate school. At least that's what I wrote into the description of her house before I moved her out and deleted her from my game."

From skmt999: "As an idea for an extra sim, a crazy botanist/gardner would be an interesting touch. You know, the type who would have had a cowplant in Sims2. I guess the craziest thing now would be Omni plants with strange things growing on them. And a random Sim-Fu master would be fun. Off in some small rustic hut near the beach, and if there isn't a Dojo on the island then maybe his house could have a couple extra training dummies?"

In the Works
- Dr Jekyl & Mr Hyde (steampunk twins with divergent traits, probably in science or medicine careers)
- Treasure Island crew (I figure the most powerful family on the island will go by the surname Hawkins)
- Characters inspired by Peter Pan/Captain Hook.
- Astronauts themed on H G Wells The First Men on the Moon.
- Maybe some references to POTC if I bother to check out the films.
- Simbot service Sims, where possible, if possible.
- A dandy criminal who dresses in a crocodile skin suit.
- The Wattson family from Riverblossom Hills.
- A complex geneology of Simbots traceable back to an old golden Simbot ancestor (made out of smelted dubloons).
- Two madcap rival inventors in different career paths.
- A hardcore botanist with high writing skill.
- A scientist based on Charles Darwin. (If only that beard came in the base game or EPs!)

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:20 PM
Reserved Reference

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:23 PM
Also Reserved (you may post after this post)

Mad Poster
#7 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:29 PM
Generation is also needed, you forgot that. :p

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Feb 2012 at 4:31 PM
Cheers! Knew I was missing something!

Forum Resident
#9 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 6:49 AM
Good to see you managed to salvage your saves. We were all worried there for a while.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Feb 2012 at 10:13 PM
Port Piston's moon and clear night sky color:

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 29th Feb 2012 at 6:32 AM
Oh my... it is absolutely gorgeous <3 Love the steampunk/pirate references
Absolutely spectacular and i'm glad you managed to open one of your saves
Mad Poster
#12 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 2:48 PM
I'm thinking of adding some lots for Showtime. Is anyone opposed to this before I spend too much time on it?

Forum Resident
#13 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 9:45 PM
Do you really think this world needs it? Personally, I think it would be fine if you just left a few lots empty for expansion if people want a venue or something. Steampunk/Pirate and Simarican Idol just don't jive together in my head. Just my single opinion, though.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 11:19 PM
Well, there are nightclubs in town. I never knew pirates liked to dance the night away.

I did make a theater, though. It's was on a 20x30, and those stages are BIG. Not the rigging, just the stage. It kinda worked. And, upstairs, I put those giant TVs and some chairs for movies.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 12:23 AM
I'm happy to see some SHT lots involved, but I'll need to know where and what so I don't repeat them. I'm downloading SHT right now. But what I'm really concerned about most of all is how... ...clumsy... ...some of my lots are. So my focus is on improving what we have. I'm thinking there's a bunch of lots I should bulldoze and build similar-but-better. I'll upload a new test version soon, with its custom weather and moon. It's very smoggy, very sepia-rust coloured, and you'll see the night time transistions still need tweaking.

If you can fit a stage where the bandstand currently is in Plankwalk Park, and it looks nice, matrix54, that'd be cool.

Edit: Also, I've revamped the page template for worlds on Pasimfic Wiki: http://pasimficandbeyond.wikia.com/wiki/Port_Piston

You'll see some tiny previews of the families lower down on that page, and also images of the weather at the top.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 1:28 AM
I'm start "declumsifying" now.

*goes to the wiki*
Oh... oh my god... the smog... it's... beautiful.
You don't lose a second do you? :p

Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 8:53 PM
Some lot makeovers - and feedback on any kind is welcome:

The Old Flame:

Nothing Drastic - I like the way it looked before, so I just did some rearranging and added some small odds and ends her and there.
===========================================================================================================
Botropolis Aristocrat's Club

I'm not sure if term Gentleman's Club is universal, or if it changes from place to place, but where I live, it's a strip club. Now, I didn't want to make a strip club, but I wanted it to look like it was at one point- hence the over sized stage + dressing room, which is now used for other performers. I was sort of experimenting with the boring woods in the front, with red/warm lights and then I wanted to go modern + cold in the most recluse areas of the club. I wanted those small areas to, also, look like a place where a performer would do her business, but have it still look converted into a nicer area where anyone can, now, congregate. It keeps with the history - the old and the new.

The exterior, I think I had too much fun with:

I stream rolled the lot and rebuilt it by hand. I wanted it to look the same, but different. I kept with original architecture, but did some changes, and I'm not sure if they'll be welcome, but I can gladly change them back if anyone (mainly Kiwi-Tea) has an issue. Of course, if I change one, I have to change them all, but it's hard to edit lots that are already in place, and it makes it hard to get a fell for everything.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 9:57 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 10th Mar 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Whoa! Those are awesome. Looking forward to installing them in their respective places.

The reason for "Gentlemen's Club" is twofold - it's an archaic colonial term throughout the Pacific Islands for gatherings of male elite. It's very sexist. And Botropolis is both very colonial and bourgeois, and quite sexist. So if people read it as meaning strip club, that's only fantastically worse and better at the same time. I want that theme of snobby and out-of-touch "values" running throughout a lot of Botropolis.

I had a LOT of trouble furnishing the Old Flame. I really like how you worked the upstairs wine cellar into that set up!

Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 12:20 AM
I'm happy to have appeased you. *goes back to working in the sweat shop.*

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 12:08 AM
Just so we don't double up, I'm listing my changes here:

- Changed quite a few things round in Plankwalk Park. Added giant chessboard and Showtime stage.
- The big empty castle walls above Botropolis has been filled by a golf course with sound shell. It is now a Live Venue, though I might make it the Big Show Venue.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 12:51 AM
I think big shows are meant to be just the shell and stage - bare minimum stuff, since Sims aren't allowed to visit there unless they perform. Maybe private?

With the golf stuff, maybe a big lot just for golf, like an amusement venue? Sims wont enter through the front door, sadly.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 1:54 AM
Perhaps I should just set it as a big park. Is two big parks overkill, though, in terms of the autonomy system dragging Sims between venues?

Mad Poster
#23 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 6:55 AM
Barnacle bay has billion beaches, and Hidden Springs has a trillion Hangouts. Lunar Lakes has way too make big parks, so 2 is just fine. :p

Test Subject
#24 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 2:24 AM
Hey, this town quite remind me about the town in "Alan Wake" game. Especially the dark atmosphere
Mad Poster
#25 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 5:11 PM
My Save Game is busted (for reasons unknown to me) so I have to recreate a few lots. Yay...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2

Section jump