Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 16 (Who?), Viewed: 2337 times.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 5:17 PM
Default Natural Abductions
Has anyone here had a natural abduction, without the use of 'summon aliens'? Today, I had Nervous Subject just do some stargazing and thought nothing of it, and then a few sim hours later, everything froze for a few moments. I wondered if something bad had happened, but it just cut to a scene of him being abducted. I wasn't using the hacked telescope, and he's primarily a family sim - sims with knowledge as a secondary aspiration can't summon aliens. But he got abducted. Was I just lucky? Also, he wasn't looking for constellations or anything - just stargazing.

Has anyone else here had a natural abduction?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 5:23 PM
Natural abductions are very rare. All of mine were natural abductions, I didn't do anything to cheat to get them abducted.
Site Helper
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 5:28 PM
Yes. I've never cheated an abduction, but I've had several.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 5:33 PM
I've had two, one Fortune and one Romance. It's a small probability, and in the absence of hacks, mods, and perks is a flat percentage, not modified by aspiration, logic points, or anything else to do with your sim. It's more likely to happen to Knowledge sims and sims with high logic skill because when you're going for high logic the telescope is a natural draw and Knowledge sims really like looking through telescopes, so they have more opportunities.

However, random chance being what it is, my Romance sim got taken the first time he looked through the big telescope he got as a date reward. He was trying to get his fun back up after the worst date of his life (interrupted by the girlfriend he got pregnant; he tried to make up with her, and got the girl he was on a date with so mad she left a flaming bag of poo on his doorstep). Perfect ending to a perfect day.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 5:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
I've had two, one Fortune and one Romance. It's a small probability, and in the absence of hacks, mods, and perks is a flat percentage, not modified by aspiration, logic points, or anything else to do with your sim. It's more likely to happen to Knowledge sims and sims with high logic skill because when you're going for high logic the telescope is a natural draw and Knowledge sims really like looking through telescopes, so they have more opportunities.

However, random chance being what it is, my Romance sim got taken the first time he looked through the big telescope he got as a date reward. He was trying to get his fun back up after the worst date of his life (interrupted by the girlfriend he got pregnant; he tried to make up with her, and got the girl he was on a date with so mad she left a flaming bag of poo on his doorstep). Perfect ending to a perfect day.

ROFL I bet. Did he end up with a kid? That would've been just perfect heheh.

Edit: OMIGOD. Poor Nervous. I dunno if I even have a hack. Maybe the abduction isn't so 'natural' then... unless it's possible for someone to get abducted within a couple days of already being abducted. LOL.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 6:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDacapo
... unless it's possible for someone to get abducted within a couple days of already being abducted. LOL.

It's entirely possible. The game doesn't reduce the chance of abduction due to a sim having already been abducted recently. The chance for an abduction is the same, each time a sim stargazes.

Aliens have been my favorite "creature" from the beginning, so I've had quite a few natural, pre-FT abductions in my game. Most of them take a long time, but I clearly recall at least one that happened spontaneously when a sim went to stargaze autonomously. (I'm pretty sure that has happened more than once, but I only specifically recall this particular incident.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 6:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
It's entirely possible. The game doesn't reduce the chance of abduction due to a sim having already been abducted recently. The chance for an abduction is the same, each time a sim stargazes.

Aliens have been my favorite "creature" from the beginning, so I've had quite a few natural, pre-FT abductions in my game. Most of them take a long time, but I clearly recall at least one that happened spontaneously when a sim went to stargaze autonomously. (I'm pretty sure that has happened more than once, but I only specifically recall this particular incident.)

Aliens are awesome, and witch aliens are a thousand times more awesome! Olive Subject became a witch and turned her dad and stepmum, and then Darren Dreamer :D

Darren Dreamer is pregnant as well, from summoning aliens, and Nervous Subject has two alien kids - Olive and Helios.
Scholar
#8 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:26 AM
I've found a way to somewhat increase the chances of abduction: have the sim look into the telescope for about half a simhour, cancel the action, then have them look into the telescope for the same amount of time, cancel the action, etc. Each viewing cycle carries a chance of abduction, no matter if it lasts a half-hour or six hours.

My CC creations, updated September 13, 2014.

My Simblr
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:41 AM
Sounds good, but IIRC, either TwoJeffs or Pescado (not sure which) proved quite some time ago that the stop/start method of stargazing does not, in fact, increase the odds of getting an abduction.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:51 AM
In Life Stories, while there are alien abductions, adult males do not get pregnant (probably because it's such a stripped-down version).

So then I got Double Deluxe. First day I had it, I sent the father to stargaze through the expensive telescope...and he got abducted. Right after he'd gotten his wife pregnant! Major facepalm moment!

I quit without saving. I don't like alien hybrids, so I have a "no alien pregnancy" mod.

My Riverblossom Hills blog! Alexandra's Riverblossom Hills
Field Researcher
#11 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 6:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegagropilon
I've found a way to somewhat increase the chances of abduction: have the sim look into the telescope for about half a simhour, cancel the action, then have them look into the telescope for the same amount of time, cancel the action, etc. Each viewing cycle carries a chance of abduction, no matter if it lasts a half-hour or six hours.

Nope. It checks abduction once every animation cycle. Cycles average 327 seconds long so there are roughly 11 cycles per game hour. Stopping and starting will actually lower your chance of abduction since you are wasting time not looking through the telescope so not getting animation cycles.

On my site I have dozens more Sims 2 mods. These mods come with no support so use them at your own risk.
Scholar
#12 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 6:49 AM
I have had a natural abduction and I remember being bummed that it was a female as I really wanted a half alien baby. All the aliens I've got now are a result of a challenge that required you to use a hacked telescope. I don't have that object anymore as I would rather have the surprise of a natural abduction. I'm hoping the alien genes don't breed out of my hood to quickly or at least before some other male gets abducted.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 8:24 AM
Do you have freetime. If not, you could download the object from MTS. That's where I got mine. It's a big, green telescope.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:57 AM
I don't think I've ever had a natural abduction, even with TJ's increased abduction mod (largely because I was on a really old computer before FT). Every single one of my alien sims (save for those made in CAS) have been planned by me for knowledge sims using the summon aliens perk.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 4:36 PM
I adore "summon aliens". Sometimes, EAxis does listen to fans. I've even gotten Mortimer Goth to summon them a few times, and I might have Alexander do the same, since he's a knowledge sim like his daddy. Felt it was appropriate since he's so shy and scholarly. Anyone else here think the male sims look precious when they're expecting?
Mad Poster
#16 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:06 PM
I think the alien pregnancies got better default maternity!

Yes, my Romance sim Clovis did get pregnant, and he married his pregnant girlfriend. I just love a double pregnancy! This was the second one I had - my first alien pregnancy was done through the Tombstone of L&D, because I'd written myself into a corner. They're so cute canoodling around their bellies and trading off belly rubs and things. And Clovis's mutual-shotgun marriage is going really well. Neither of them rolled a have-baby fear even though they're both Romance; and then Sadie had a son and Clovis had a daughter and I saw the character arcs rolling out ahead of me...it really has been perfect, everything I could ask of the game.

Nervous strikes me as a natural for alien pregnancy. Compared to what the Beakers did to him growing up, the process probably wouldn't even be that traumatic. Of my three alien fathers I've had three different reactions: Ernest, who doesn't remember the abduction (because using the Tombstone you don't get abducted, you just get pregnant) and whose storyline involved him not being able to have kids with his wife, views his as a miracle. Clovis, on the other hand, wishes he could forget, views the experience as a straightforward rape, and is now a little paranoid about protecting his kids. He hates that Uncle Ernest bought his daughter a telescope (even though only a little one) when she wanted it. These two families are very close and Ernest encourages his alien son to treat Clovis's alien daughter as his little sister. The third pregnancy is a scientist, who first denied that the aliens would have impregnated a man his age and rejected all overtures from Ernest (Clovis didn't make any; he used to date one of Gene's daughters, so Gene hates him); then when he couldn't deny it anymore he treated it as a research situation; and then the kid was born and he went hogwild over having a son after his wife only gave him daughters and the research protocols went a little awry.

I wonder what the next one will be like...I keep expecting Merlin Hawkins (Knowledge/Family) to roll a Have Baby want so I can have him summon aliens, but as much as he and his wife talk about children, and interact with their numerous nieces and nephews, neither of them ever rolls the want. I have him look through his big telescope every night anyway.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . My most recent book is Sullivan, That Summer. Widespot and Widespot RFD: The Subhood are both available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 6:44 PM Last edited by JDacapo : 9th Mar 2012 at 8:37 PM.
Haha! That's awesome! Nervous, being primarily a family sim, has recently rolled the want to have ten kids. He's already halfway there. His wife, Joy, who won four out of six fights with him before they fell in love, has that want as well. They're both secondary knowledge sims, and seem to enjoy being magical. Joy's first two kids are twins, and she's having another pair thanks to her family sim perks. Oh and, it's funny, but she got this 'married a rich sim' memory from marrying Nervous, possibly thanks partly to the stuff he swiped from the Beaker household before leaving.

He's always been a very good dad, even when he was an ornery slob. I reset his personality to genetic with the lot debugger, and basically, his story is, he's gone to some more expensive psycho and occupational therapy, which has helped him a lot. He's now permaplat, and Joy is getting close. Olive is also permaplat, and a powerful good witch - she's goin' off to college, though I want to bring her back before their kitty passes away

Edit: I had Ajay Loner, a fortune sim, get abducted naturally. He had a total BRAT - no nice points at ALL! She's sort of a basic Circe Beaker if she had recently become a werewolf. Might have her become an evil witch.

Section jump