Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 9:34 PM
Default Moving in a Bon Voyage NPC
Hi there!

Something odd happened to me today. I moved in one of the female NPC's from Twikkii Island into the house in Strangetown of my male elder witch. They had lots of lightning bolts going on and he was a widower, so I thought it would be nice for him to have a little fun again since his spouse died. However, something odd happened...

Instead of calling and inviting her over, I decided to summon her to his house using the Summon Sim spell Appello Simea, I then asked her to move in. This worked without a problem. A little while later they had a baby on their way, but the mother would never get a baby bump. This went on for days and I started to get worried if I accidentally bugged things up.

I send my elder witch to Twikkii Island on a short 3 day 2 night holliday, and there I met (dun dun duuuuhnn) his wife's duplicate?!

Now I really started to get worried, so I sent him back home and fed his buggy girlfriend to the cowplant and moved the tombstone to my town's graveyard. I then send my witch to Twikkii Island again to see what happened. Either his girlfriend is immortal, has a twin sister or has returned from the dead, for there she was, having fun as usual!

Few questions:

Did I do the wrong thing in trying to get a Bon Voyage NPC to move in, i.e. are they known to be buggy?

If I invite a Bon Voyage NPC over to my hood the normal way, and then ask them to move in, will the game generate a new Bon Voyage townie?

Does anyone know if this always happened if you mess around with sims who are summoned by Appello Simea? If so, I might have found an infinite source of cowplant food, haha.

Kind regards,

LeBaiton
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:38 AM
Hmmmm - it shouldn't be a problem and it sounds like a flag didn't get set properly. Did you check in SimPE to see if there are two sim files?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:15 AM
Unfortunatly I do not use SimPE, so I can't give you the anwer to that one. I've stopped using Appello Simea for the time being. If I invite someone over I'll do the old-fashioned way by using a telephone

Does anyone know the answers to my other questions regarding Bon Voyage NPCs?

Thanks for looking
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 9:53 AM
It sounds a little bit like the Apartment Life bug where there would be multiple copies of the same NPC. I can't remember what the fix to that was - I think it was a mod about townie redundancy.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 10:00 AM
I think the first thing is to define Bon Voyage NPC -- I assume you mean the tourists (the ones who book up extra rooms in the hotel) or vacation locals (the ones who can teach you the local gestures), rather than the waitress or maitre'd.

I have no idea if they are buggy or not -- I have moved in a vacation local once in my game, and I found issues similar to yours. She was generated as a teenager, but as one of my playables has chemistry with her I invited her over/moved her in/grew her up/got her married. All was well and she had two children, and then I decided to take a vacation back to Takemizu Village. I cannot remember if there was a doppleganger or not, but as soon as the hotel loaded up, instead of being halfway through her adult life she was nowa teenager at the start of her teen years, making her younger than her eldest daughter.

I'd had a couple of other glitches (including a shredded character file of an ex-landlady), so as soon as I saw that happen I burned the 'hood. I wasn't proficient in SimPE back then (this was three years ago), but I've been loathe to touch the vacation locals since.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 10:17 AM
I just found this:

Quote:
Upon its release, Bon Voyage suffered from a severe bug which caused it to infinitely duplicate NPC character files until the game could no longer be run. This problem was later fixed in a free patch available through the game's official website at Sims2.com.
from here .

You were right - it was a bug that came with Bon Voyage!

Quote:
Game will no longer create new vacation NPCs each time a lot is visited which was causing many issues due to character file overload. Any existing extra NPCs will be unlinked and their character files greatly reduced in size.
- From the official site.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 12:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
I think the first thing is to define Bon Voyage NPC -- I assume you mean the tourists (the ones who book up extra rooms in the hotel) or vacation locals (the ones who can teach you the local gestures), rather than the waitress or maitre'd.
It was a vacation local, Tracy Royce.

Reading your story and knowing my own experiences, I'd best stay away from the Bon Voyage NPCs. Scary stuff indeed, I don't want to restart this hood anymore. I've had to do that too many times already!
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 4:22 PM
Hmmm......

I'm pretty sure that bug is in regards to the BV NPC's such as the Unsavory Charlatan, tour guide, bellhop and hotel maid all of whom you have limited interaction options with. Their is a mod to fix it here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s.../topic,7.0.html it's called "antiredundancy". Only keeps them from generating new ones does nothing about the fact you may have 100 unsavory charlatan's already in your character files, not much you can do about that other than start over with the mod in place.

As for the locals they are not really NPC's meaning you can interact with them and yes you should be able to marry them, move them in ect. Your game will generate a new one when you deplete the pool. It's possible it generated an exact duplicate, I believe they are set up like dormies are where the exact same ones will be generated every time.

I made my own for my custom hood for all the vacation locals and I remember when I did the research on them that I found that they were all very much alike. Each destinations locals all have same aspiration as in all islanders are pleasure sims, all Asians are knowledge sims and so forth even down to their turn on and offs.

Might be a good idea to just leave them be at least don't take them out of their location permanently but it shouldn't corrupt your game. Now if you had done something to one of the actual NPC's then that would have been a very bad thing.