Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 29 (Who?), Viewed: 7854 times.
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 6:35 PM
Default Simporting Installs Sims with Custom Content and Memories
If this has already been discussed then sorry for bringing back up but I have a few questions about this. There is a long thread over at TS3 that Indeed Simporting installed the other player's Sim into the first player's Game Bin. And some reported getting CC from those Sims, even though EA stated that couldn't happen.

But I have a bigger worry, one person reported the Sim they received brought along Memories (over 7000kbs) attach to it.

If one continues to Simport (90 times vice versa required, correct?) to unlock rewards can those memories slow down the game from so many Sims installed by Simport, and will CC in package files cause lag for players that do somehow receive CC with the Sim, and will the game generate that Sim as a NPC at some point in the game without you actually adding that Sim to your world?

Add: Doesn't CC package files slow down the game? and won't this be a problem if indeed this is proved does happen, as several have sworn it did.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 7:05 PM
Yeah. Too many potential problems for me to even want to attempt.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 7:29 PM
Nooooo, I won't try this! I was curious about simport at first, but too many people report about lag and transfer of content for me to use this feature, I don't know whether the rewards will be unlocked via a mod or not, but even if not, they're not worth the risk the simport brings. I never download sims and lots from the exchange and other unreliable resources, cuz I had an experience once, when a mod was transferred with a lot, and after i patched, it became outdated and corrupted my game.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 7:29 PM
Looks like EA has further damaged the custom content of creators. Nice how that works out for them, and pushes people to buy EA store items, aye?

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Mad Poster
staff: retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 7:58 PM
Link? I'm very skeptical of these claims so far, I haven't seen anything resembling solid proof that CC is transferring.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Field Researcher
#6 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 8:03 PM Last edited by PoisonFrog : 7th Mar 2012 at 8:15 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_tea
Link? I'm very skeptical of these claims so far, I haven't seen anything resembling solid proof that CC is transferring.

A group compiling a list of people who don't use CC, for Simport purposes.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/510752.page

Not solid proof, but the only solid proof is when it happens to you.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/510505.page

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Theorist
#7 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 8:37 PM
Unverified as yet, but here's a link to crinrict's page about it.
http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2012/0...om-content.html
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 8:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonFrog
A group compiling a list of people who don't use CC, for Simport purposes.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/510752.page

Not solid proof, but the only solid proof is when it happens to you.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/510505.page

That's proof enough for me, a lot of people are saying it, so like he said above, it's not solid until it happens to you. I won't be taking that chance personally.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 9:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsdestroyer
That's proof enough for me, a lot of people are saying it, so like he said above, it's not solid until it happens to you. I won't be taking that chance personally.

Me either.

I had a feeling that simport will transfer content that is S3Ps, after all the sim's S3P is in the downloads folder. That is not cool at all.

Also I use CC. I must have my default skins and CC hairs in my game, or I am not happy with the look of my game. I don't want to cause problems with someone elses game, nor will I be setting up a clean folder just for a process I don't approve of anyway. Another good reason for me not to buy this or any other EP that includes simport. *shakes head no*

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#10 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 9:59 PM
Of course there is a fundamental absurdity in EA's claims. Player made sims ARE, by definition, custom content. If you make a sim and send it to another player, you are introducing custom content, in the form of your sim, to another player.
Banned
#11 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Gamer
Of course there is a fundamental absurdity in EA's claims. Player made sims ARE, by definition, custom content. If you make a sim and send it to another player, you are introducing custom content, in the form of your sim, to another player.

No, I don't think that's fair. Player-made sims are made with existing in-game content. The position of sliders doesn't count as Custom Content :P

I don't use simport so this doesn't affect me at all. I hope somebody figures out how to unlock stuff without using it, though!
Mad Poster
#12 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:35 PM
SimGuruSNelson just posted here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...05.page#7912716

Quote:
Hi Simmers. I wanted to let you know that we are releasing a Game Update very soon that will provide a solution to prevent any custom, user-created content from being installed in the hostís game when using SimPort. Additionally, this Game Update will ensure any files associated with a visiting Sim are not saved to a playerís system permanently. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are reading all of your posts and will continue to provide solutions as quickly as possible.

Hmm... still a skeptic.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb40
SimGuruSNelson just posted here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/po...05.page#7912716

Hmm... still a skeptic.

I think it would have been fun to see people's performers as they had envisioned them but CC that you don't want and can't get rid of is no fun.

View my other downloads on MTS

www.mintrubbing.org
Theorist
#14 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:43 PM
Quote:

Hmm... still a skeptic.

This is nearly beyond belief.
what... geez, sorry the condom broke, guys? Yeah.
Forum Resident
#15 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:43 PM
I can believe the CC part as stated in my blog post. I can't really believe the memory part. Those are CAS-Sims that are being transferred and not households. CAS Sims don't have memories.

ATM I'm really unsure what to think. I can't try myself cause customs will surly hold up my game getting here before Monday or Tuesday and I'm getting conflicting infos from the users at the official forum.

Someone send me a file that was in their downloads folder after Simporting and that sure was stripped of any extra packages, even the thumbnails were gone. What those Sims had were the 'Sims attaching downloads' how I call it, or the DBPF within DBPF as Delphy calls it. Those seem to get transferred and I see nothing EA can do about it.

From what they said, I was under the impression that there was no actual file transfer taking place but that is wrong information.

Still investigating.
Banned
#16 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 12:07 AM
Why did people think there'd be no file transferring happening? How else is your game going to get a new sim identical to someone elses, magic? Something has to be transferred.
Mad Poster
staff: retired moderator
#17 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 12:17 AM
Appreciate the update crinrict. It's interesting and alarming how misled we were in terms of there being no actual file transfer. I'd also gained the impression it was just sending a unique Sim ID type of thing. Good to know that's untrue.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Forum Resident
#18 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 12:29 AM
Exactly. I didn't think this through but I thought they were sending over the info and the Sim was recreated in our game one way or the other, not installed there. I also never ever thought that we get to keep the Sim installed in our games. The Sim CAS Bin is soon going to overflow with hosted Sims if one is not aware of this.
Banned
#19 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 12:34 AM
"Sending over the info" is the same thing as "sending over the sim". A sim's data file contains the info used to make that sim. There's no difference.

It sounds like people were expecting some sort of text string to show up and be read by the game, but that, too, is ultimately the same thing as a sim file being sent over and read by the game. There's no way for the game to display someone elses sim without sending you that data. I think the fact that they show up in the bin is an accident, from the sounds of it.
Instructor
#20 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 12:37 AM
I did simport lastnight with a friend and her sim came to my venue in the "Collectors Edition" dress she had access to, the hair was standard vanilla hair. But I got to see the dress, that I didn't have. Also I was given a quest to friend the ported sim. I didn't have much lag or issues with the port. She did get errors saying "try again later", but it would come through my game despite her error. I didn't see if she was in my simbin, but that does make sense since it told me to friend her in game.
Scholar
#21 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 5:15 AM
well i have hosted a few sims...and sent a few sims....and as long as you delete the the downloads and exports and lib files....and hopefully have a back-up of your
DCcache folder...and swap those out...all is well for me so far....
Scholar
#22 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 6:55 AM
Quote:

Hmm... still a skeptic.

So....remind me again what the hell the point of 1.31 was if they were just going to need to make another patch immediately afterwards (exactly like we predicted they would)?

Here's a shocking concept, EA. Try testing your games BEFORE you release them.

To quote the Sims VIP admin:
Quote:
On a side note, this is something that should have been prevented/addressed prior to the game being released, especially since you confirmed CC would not transfer in many interviews and community blogs.

Whoops?

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Instructor
#23 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 8:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamantEve
"Sending over the info" is the same thing as "sending over the sim". A sim's data file contains the info used to make that sim. There's no difference.

It sounds like people were expecting some sort of text string to show up and be read by the game, but that, too, is ultimately the same thing as a sim file being sent over and read by the game. There's no way for the game to display someone elses sim without sending you that data. I think the fact that they show up in the bin is an accident, from the sounds of it.

Everyone has the same noCC content (assuming they have all the ep's). This means you could just send CAS settings and not a sim from the bin as file. The difference seems not a big deal, but it becomes one when a sim with CC (that you don't have) is sent over. Especially with potential corrupt CC.
Just sending CAS settings is a more controllable situation.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 2:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenieusa
well i have hosted a few sims...and sent a few sims....and as long as you delete the the downloads and exports and lib files....and hopefully have a back-up of your
DCcache folder...and swap those out...all is well for me so far....

"EA: Where as long as you jump through a million hoops, incessantly back-up your files and mod the hell out of your game, you'll be fine. Maybe."
In the Arena
staff: senior moderator
#25 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 4:12 PM
I don't understand though, how the beta testers are saying one thing and now, users are finding totally different outcome. Did they just do the test steps as instructed per a test script and did not throw all sorts of things at it out of the blue? Because we all know there are all sorts of Sims players of different levels of IT techy-ness, different playstyles, different systems. I suppose they also only chose beta testers who have great systems - not weak ones...to see what sort of crashing, freezing and the usual craziness occur. I don't suppose they want those issues reported, just how Simport performed?
Page 1 of 2

Section jump