Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 42 (Who?), Viewed: 7027 times.
Page 2 of 2
Forum Resident
#26 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Always! :D

Okay. HP can delete it, but I bet you she'll find it too adorable to do so.

I wish this was my cat. I'd be bragging about it's huge yawns to everyone.
Mad Poster
#27 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:38 PM
I didn't think it was a prank; I thought maybe it was a n00b, to be honest. I was thinking maybe the OP was someone whose household was so hectic that they didn't notice the social worker warnings.

My Riverblossom Hills blog! Alexandra's Riverblossom Hills
Mad Poster
#28 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 3:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandraSpears
I didn't think it was a prank; I thought maybe it was a n00b, to be honest.

As did I. So what does my having failed the test say about me, I wonder? And how is the conclusion affected if I supply the information that I have a pretty literal mindset that causes me to take things at face value, and that even though I adore and "get" most humor, my literal nature can be fooled if I don't know something is a joke ahead of time?

That's rhetorical, by the way. I love philosophy, but like Simsica, I only have so much energy (read, not much) to devote to in-depth discussions or debates. Eyes glazing over...

(eta: Thanks for the kitty, Simsica. )
Forum Resident
#29 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 4:34 PM
Kitties - the reason I sometimes believe that there really is a purpose to the universe. Cause they're so perfect. See? An annoying internet cat philosopher personality, that's me :P

John - NollemD's Sim - should have had a cat. That cat would have made his story less a prank and more a funny kitty anecdote (I used "anecdote" because of reasons of style, not because I'm trying to appear smart. I don't need to try to appear smart, BTW. Cause I am smart. I even do tricks.)
Instructor
#30 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 6:17 PM
I thought it was awesome , for several reasons. Tales of woe , that don't actually screw up a real living persons life , always amuse me (ya, I'm sick like that). Secondly, it made me feel like such a competent simmer. I play my self sim as a romance sim that pays the bills and furnishes the house from selling/using the dream date gifts he gets , no work for that boy. So for someone to say they had a horrible date was truly amazing. Fires , losing a job, kids taken away... whatever, yawn, but a horrible date, truly incredible lack of competence.

NollemD , you have much more originality than I do. I'm currently making John Burb's life miserable in my game. He got sent to Inge's Big House , not a pleasant place, where he shares a cell with Billy Hill. Billy introduced himself by beating John up five times the first day (thanks to Squinge's fight anyone and never lose to a weaker sim). Billy then proceeded to inform John that he really likes makeup and underwear and that John's chances of ever getting out of his orange prison jumpsuit would be greatly enhanced if he would just give Billy the respect of donning a little lipstick and perhaps a thong or some fishnets. John barely quits crying long enough to eat his brown mush.
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 3:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOKIEBLAYLOCK
thanks to Squinge's fight anyone and never lose to a weaker sim

Where did you get those? I'm currently searching for fight anyone (anytime), and never lose to a weaker sim sounds like a good addition.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:28 AM
Wow...I thought the first post was really amusing and enjoyable to read. Why all the drama? Nollem, please keep your creativity and sense of humor!
Instructor
#33 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:52 AM
Here you go Babahara http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,10576.0.html fight anyone anytime and here http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,31601.0.html never lose a fight with a weaker sim. I have all EP's and play on M and G and these work fine for me. Good luck!
Field Researcher
#34 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 3:18 PM
Wow, I think y'all took this WAY too seriously! I thought it was a lark, nothing more or less. I don't care about Nollem's motives, some people play bad Sims just for fun all the time and no one ever gets on their case like this. You can choose to run with it or not, but a little humor seems to me a good thing to have.

Just sayin'.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:03 PM
Didn't bother me any.

Forum Resident
#36 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NollemD
....Well, I'll tell you: It's neither trolling nor really stupid. It's just a prank on the community -- a prank that is deemed socially unacceptable...

It's not that it bothered me but I don't get how it's a prank? Joy buzzer? That's a prank. Ventrilofart? Also a prank. Writing a long story about a sim who's life is just crazy and chaos..not really a prank?

I just...don't get it. You can't really prank on forums. You just become a troll after a while. Not to mention it's pointless.

Tired of your workers' faces changing after you set a uniform? See this thread for more details and a potential fix.
-----
Check out my journal.
I now have a Simblr(in the making) please follow!
Simblr
Mad Poster
#37 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:30 PM
I have more pressing things to be annoyed about, myself.

Forum Resident
#38 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 6:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguwar
Wow, I think y'all took this WAY too seriously! I thought it was a lark, nothing more or less. I don't care about Nollem's motives, some people play bad Sims just for fun all the time and no one ever gets on their case like this. You can choose to run with it or not, but a little humor seems to me a good thing to have.

Just sayin'.

Yeah. Some Sims are way too serious while others try to distract them with cute cat pictures.

Anyhow, I think there is a relevant topic trying to break through in this thread, despite all the drama (and the kitty talk, for which I must apologize. Not. :P)

Do we really "play bad Sims" when we lead our Sims from one disaster to another? And how do we then tell that story? Or is it about drama?

I remember my first toddler - in the very first household I created, with a single mom and a tot. It was a mess! I had to exit without saving numerous times, because my cute tot was taken by the social worker because I literally didn't know what to do with her. I learned all my lessons about sim child care with that tot, and later, in time, it all got way too easy to play.
But I didn't choose to create drama by forcing my Sims not to do things well, or by "playing bad Sims". I decided to go in a roundabout way - by making it harder generally, making their lives more demanding. And the drama still happens, only it isn't about social workers and hungry tots, or fires that kill entire families.
I'm not saying this is in any way bad - it's just not what keeps me playing. I've switched my interests to a larger scale, to the whole hood, to building a community. That amuses me endlessly.

I tried playing a hood with a story line just recently. It didn't work for me. There would be way too much for me to invent and imagine. In my sim storytelling I only interpret what I see them doing and within the limits of the actual events that happen in front of me. That's quite enough for me. They're Sims and I treat them as such. I often write things like: "Irene has had aspiration failure today, her mood went into deep red because she saw the roaches twice today and then she had to pee in a public toilet to add insult to injury." It could have been written from irene's POV - I do that too.
Those are the elements from TS2 gameplay and it may sound bland. But it's also sim-real, and sim-real is what my gameplay is all about. As all of you know, many times just telling what actually happened and trying to put it in some kind of a larger context of the Sims' lives indeed ends up as a captivating story. I encounter such non-intentional stories every time I play the game. To me, the sim drama just happens.

But I enjoy reading about the player-arranged dramas, like NollemD's, maybe because I don't do them myself.

So, if you'd pardon my "wall-o-text" here, maybe we could discuss how we create and then tell sim dramas in our own games. I think this was NollemD's intention, though he went about it in quite an original way, if I may say so.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 7:08 PM
This is a quote about novels, but it applies to stories in general (such as sim stories, in this case):
"Neither novels or their readers benefit from attempts to divine whether any facts hide inside a story. Such efforts attack the very idea that made-up stories can matter, which is sort of the foundational assumption of our species."
-John Green
Forum Resident
#40 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farawayy & so close
This is a quote about novels, but it applies to stories in general (such as sim stories, in this case):
"Neither novels or their readers benefit from attempts to divine whether any facts hide inside a story. Such efforts attack the very idea that made-up stories can matter, which is sort of the foundational assumption of our species."
-John Green

Oh, but I believe with passion that the opposite is equally true: Neither novels nor readers can avoid to divine facts that hide inside a story. Such unconsicious efforts rest on the very idea that made-up stories do matter, which is sort of foundational assumption of our storytelling.
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 7:02 AM
@Simsica
We play in very similar ways. I create external circumstances, often encompassing the whole hood, and see how households deal with them. Drama happens when they fail or run into something inacceptable.

In fact, drama that happens is often something I'd never create on my own! Last time a sim I was playing met the queen's son (who was supposed to politically marry), and they had three bolts. According to my hood rules, sims with three bolts must be together no matter what, so that son got disowned and expelled from the town by the queen. Sort of. He hides on my sim's lot now, in the hidden basement. And because he's a warlock (the queen's family are all witches and warlocks), nobody can find out that he's there: there's no ladder to the basement, he just teleports in and out. Perfectly hidden.

I know I'd never make up something like that on my own, especially the part about the basement accessible only to a warlock.

Maybe some people would say that I lack imagination, but that's me, and I can't help it
Forum Resident
#42 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:32 AM
I have the same rule about three bolts! True love.
And that story sounds like what happened to that prince of Wales - Edward, was it? - that gave up his throne because of true love.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 12:18 PM
Great minds think alike, is it what they say?

Well, the prince in my game was not supposed to become a king. My game is matriarchy He was supposed to politically marry an alien birth queen, though, no surprise that he opted out.
Page 2 of 2

Section jump