Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 12:22 PM Last edited by RomerJon17 : 8th Apr 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Default Any sad, depressing, emotional films you watched in the past?
Any sad, depressing, emotional films you watched in the past?

When you were a teenager or little?

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 1:33 PM
Can they ultimately end up hopeful or uplifting in any way? I can't stand sad films that leave me feeling hopeless, but I do enjoy films that push me emotionally or intellectually.

One of my favorites is Life Is Beautiful. I've recommended this film to many people over the years but only recently realized that it's not a true story, but rather a fable of sorts based on real life events. It grips.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Inventor
#3 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 3:25 PM
I watch My Sister's keeper sometime ago. At first I thought it looked like a boring and "empty" movie, but it turned out to be great. Cameron Diaz did such a great job playing the concerned mother. All the characters had such dept and the ending of the movie was really good in a weird kinda way (not gonna spoil anything). I felt like it was really a sad, but down to earth movie. Nothing you watch with a bunch of friends, but a good movie for a day off.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 3:38 PM Last edited by leesester : 11th Mar 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Message in a Bottle with Kevin Costner. That film is like being hit over the head with a misery hammer. I don't recommend it - I actually was too outraged at it to cry.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Mad Poster
#5 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by malfoya
I watch My Sister's keeper sometime ago. At first I thought it looked like a boring and "empty" movie, but it turned out to be great. Cameron Diaz did such a great job playing the concerned mother. All the characters had such dept and the ending of the movie was really good in a weird kinda way (not gonna spoil anything). I felt like it was really a sad, but down to earth movie. Nothing you watch with a bunch of friends, but a good movie for a day off.
One of the literature teachers at school refuses to watch it since the author herself did not like what they did to her story. Have you read the book? I loved it. I've read it three times and cried through the last few chapters each time. Part of me is curious about the movie, but I think I'm less than thrilled that they would change the ending.

Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 10:48 PM
You know what.....
Do you remember the film called Toy Story 3....

The ending scene made me cry =( Childhood to Young Adult =(

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Inventor
#7 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
One of the literature teachers at school refuses to watch it since the author herself did not like what they did to her story. Have you read the book? I loved it. I've read it three times and cried through the last few chapters each time. Part of me is curious about the movie, but I think I'm less than thrilled that they would change the ending.

Honestly I didn't even know it was based on a book at first. Though I'm not surprised as that kinda movies usually are. I thought it was a great movie, but surely I don't know what the author of the book felt when she wrote the original story..

I just found myself watching the whole movie without surfing on other sites etc. Which is a good thing in my world as I'm never able to focus when watching movies :P

I did read PS I love you though, then watch the movie. So if it's like that for your teacher and the auther I can understand them! PS I love you sucked in movie form, but was great in book form! Also a sad story.. but maybe with a better ending than other sad stories.
Scholar
#8 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 1:38 AM
Midnight Cowboy, that movie depressed me for about 2 weeks even though it's a brilliant movie I've only ever sat through it the one time. It's much more gritty 70's realism than a tearjerker though so it's not just a "sad" movie.

On the more recent front the movie Sideways depressed the hell out of me. It was hyped as a comedy and it so very much wasn't a comedy. I kept wondering if maybe I didn't think it was that funny because I don't know that much about wine so I wasn't getting the references, nope it was just a drama not a comedy. It was a good movie it was just not what I was anticipating or expecting and man it was depressing.
Scholar
#9 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 5:26 AM
I've never seen a movie more depressing and sad than Changeling. The worst part of it is that is based on real-life happenings. Not saying that I regret watching it, but it made me very depressed.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Field Researcher
#10 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre

One of my favorites is Life Is Beautiful.

I love this movie, but I don't find it so much sad as really uplifting.

A movie that I also love is Unbearable Lightness of being.
Based on the book by Milan Kundera. It is not so much a remake of the book as a companion to the book.
The book is about the philosophy behind beauty, life, love etc and the movie is sort of made up of the bits he uses to illustrate his points.
I am not sure how much sense one would make without the other as I have both read and watched it many times.
It is a good title and in many ways the movie is unbearable, but it is awesome.
The first time I watched it though, I cried for and hour and a half until I fell asleep, so be warned.
Theorist
#11 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 7:00 AM
Grave of the Fireflies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grave_of_the_Fireflies

On the other hand, the recent GI Joe movie was perhaps as depressing a film as a film I've ever seen. Was it the worst movie I've ever seen? I'm not sure, but it's certainly the worst investment of money that resulted in a product that apparently made money I've ever seen. Emotionally, artistically, it's the equivalent of watching a company spend a billion dollars shitting in the mouths of the elderly and people cheering them on for it.

Watch the first, use the second to even out your sofa with the wobbly side by shoving under the leg.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 9:11 AM
Pans Labyrinth - sobbed for hours after that one. I'm not as young as many of you and have probably watched many thousands of films - not one has come close to how sad that film is.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 9:56 AM
Field Researcher
#14 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 10:47 PM
Ok, cheesy time:

Titanic
Black Beauty
The Black Stallion (horsey gurl )
Marley and Me - So, so, so sad.

My Simblr: Here
Forum Resident
#15 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 11:53 PM
Stephen King's The Mist. That film left me with such a sad, sad feeling at the end I wanted to cry.....
The Road is another, it depressed me for the entire evening, I thought it a pretty accurate portrayal which is why it bummed me out so much!

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Mad Poster
#16 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 11:34 AM
So many great titles here! I'll have to check out some of these films.

I don't like movies that are so sad and depressing that at the end you ask yourself, "what was the point of all that?". I prefer to have a reason behind all of the suffering, or at least a way to make sense of it all.

Saving Private Ryan always gets me at the end when the veteran asks if his life was worth it - meaning the effort to save it. It makes me think of my father, a veteran of WWII, and how he must have had some measure of survivor guilt.

I loved Fearless with Jeff Bridges. It's beautiful and sad and uplifting at the end. I've never seen a film with Jeff Bridges that I did not enjoy.

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 9:25 PM
when I was a kid , I watched mostly horrors movies and I laughed my butt off cose I didn't find them scary (my mom is more scary then the Alien Queen) .
It only when you become adult , and in my case an emotional wreck that I watch now emotional/sad movies . And i can't stand horrors movies anymore lol

But sad movies (I love them and hate them cose most don't have a happy ending) .

But of the best (and no happy ending I'm warning you!) are :
-Boy's Don't Cry
-1million Dollars Baby
- Aimée&Jaguar
-Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon (My favorite couple don't get a happy ending and that's the teacher and the merchant lady?) .
- Les oiseaux se cachent pour mourir (in english I think it's called :The Thorn Birds. But I read the book and didn't watch the Tv serie ) .
-The Others (with N.Kidman) another very sad (but recent and I recommand them: The Moon , Shutter Island with L.Dicaprio ) .

Sad Movies I wanna see and are coming :
- With Glenn Close : Albert Nobbs
- With Meryl Streep : The Iron Lady (I'm not fan of politic like movies but I love M.S)
- The Help
Field Researcher
#18 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bodhie

-Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon (My favorite couple don't get a happy ending and that's the teacher and the merchant lady?) .

If you like that try Hero with Jet Li:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/
it will blow your mind.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by opiumgirl
it will blow your mind.

I will Thank You
Forum Resident
#20 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 10:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by opiumgirl
it will blow your mind.

One of the best films ever, it's on my top ten and comes with the missy seal of approval. Second that recommendation

Disclaimer: These are the personally, personal opinions of me, myself and I. Yours may vary.
Terms & conditions do not apply
Alchemist
#21 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 7:49 AM
i'm not a crier, but the occasional Law & Order: SVU episode will hit me where it hurts. usually, though, most drama in movies is so overdone and uninspiring i mostly giggle or roll my eyes at the spectacle. i cant think of a single movie type film that has ever made me cry.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 9:00 AM
Elephant. Though that is my favourite movie.

Oh, and Requiem for a Dream. Saw in in class when I was twelve (the teacher put it on and walked out, thinking it was a musical) and I CRIED SOOOO HARD.

A Beautiful Mind also comes to mind. No pun.

Angie/DS | Baby Sterling - 24/2/2014
This account is mostly used by my sons to download CC now, if you see me active, it's probably just them!
Forum Resident
#23 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 10:02 AM
Some good, sad films in this thread. Dancer in the Dark with Björk is also an extremely sad film, but if you don't like Björk's music you might not appreciate it.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DigitalSympathies

A Beautiful Mind also comes to mind. No pun.
I love that one! It's on my list of movies my sweetheart must see

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 9:07 PM
Quote:
Elephant. Though that is my favourite movie.

The one black and white ? I mean the old version black and white of the movie ?
That's the only one I saw...and it was..hard to watch . Only saw it once and I was a kid too (on TV , we didn't have any technologie in class at that time lol) .
Page 1 of 3