Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 6:05 AM
Default Another unique hair re-creation project...
I finished my last project (Jinx) which was a pain but the results were ok... now I am attempting to create (or find a hair similar to it) Yumi's hair...

this is Yumi... I removed the other area of the picture so you knew who I meant :P. I was going to simply use pigtails for her hair but hers were simply to long to match... :/ .

Also I found this image thanks to google... it is very helpful for perspective...

The last image that is relevant... if you ask me it looks to be from a visual novel XD

------------
I know beggars cant be choosers (I think I used the saying correctly) but I would really prefer to find something that is pre-made and that needs *little* editing to be done... Making stuff some scratch can be rewarding but it is a pain in the butt.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 6:36 AM
Hair that long is going to move... well, strangely. Hair has bones that need to be assigned and weighted, just like body parts have bones that need to be assigned and weighted. If you set the pigtails' bones to the head, they'll be rigid when she looks around (and the hair could impale her through the torso... ouch). If you set the pigtails' bones to nearby body parts, they'll stick to the body. Either way, you won't be able to get them to move independently. (I'm not even sure if there is a way to make them move like real hair; I don't think I've seen a super-long Sims 2 hair that does.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 6:41 AM
^Thanks for the reply . As for the movement - could I do it so [for example] when she goes to turn left her pigtails move slightly in the opposite direction to make it look natural?

I could either do that or shorten them up a tad bit... uh... I am at a loss - what do you think?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jinx1
^Thanks for the reply . As for the movement - could I do it so [for example] when she goes to turn left her pigtails move slightly in the opposite direction to make it look natural?

I could either do that or shorten them up a tad bit... uh... I am at a loss - what do you think?

You'd have to shorten them quite a bit. Most Sims 2 hair only comes to the shoulders or partway down the back. That's because it's easy enough to set the bones to the spine and the hair will lie flat against the back (which looks pretty natural). With pigtails, though, you're going to be limited by the skeleton. You could set the bones to the arms, but then the pigtails will move with the arms. You could set them to the sides of the body, but then your Sim's arms will poke through them.

There's no way (as far as I know) to make the hair move in the opposite direction from the face. That's just not how the animations in the game work. The closest you could come is to make the ends of the pigtails stationary by assigning them bones near the shoulders... but you'd have to shorten the hair.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
You'd have to shorten them quite a bit. Most Sims 2 hair only comes to the shoulders or partway down the back. That's because it's easy enough to set the bones to the spine and the hair will lie flat against the back (which looks pretty natural). With pigtails, though, you're going to be limited by the skeleton. You could set the bones to the arms, but then the pigtails will move with the arms. You could set them to the sides of the body, but then your Sim's arms will poke through them.

There's no way (as far as I know) to make the hair move in the opposite direction from the face. That's just not how the animations in the game work. The closest you could come is to make the ends of the pigtails stationary by assigning them bones near the shoulders... but you'd have to shorten the hair.

Hmm so my options are a bit limited :/ well i guess I could shorten things up but I wanted to make her look as close to the original as possible... I am thinking trying my hand at doing it in The Sims 3. Any way I found this...

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=94653

the hair is not exactly what I wanted but it looks close - I recolored it a bit...

but I still need to work on the coloring a bit :/. Again any suggestions are helpful!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 1:54 AM
*bump*

I really need help thanks...
Mad Poster
#7 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 7:04 PM
You can find tips on recolouring in the recolouring section.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 8:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
You can find tips on recolouring in the recolouring section.

A bit generic :/ but thanks any way...
Scholar
#9 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 10:16 AM
Try this for creating a simple hair texture, but be sure to make the size of the image you start out with 1024x1024

http://cavernaobscura.wordpress.com...oshop-tutorial/

The steps in the tutorial should work for a free program like the Gimp too

Also, check this one out: http://www.digitalperversion.net/ga...hp?topic=8719.0

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Instructor
#10 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 7:11 PM
The tutorial Nouk pointed you to on GoS is the one I started with.
Never stopped texturing hair since and it's easy to follow