Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 4023 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 8:24 PM Last edited by Alistair_Crow : 20th Mar 2012 at 8:37 PM.
Default Inverted Faces?
I'm currently having problems with faces being turned the wrong way in Milkshape and showing up as invisible in bodyshop.

These show what the shape of the bangs should be, but as you can see that hunk of hair is the only part not flipped properly :\

The rest of the hair is showing up as normal (except for a face on another group, circled in teal up there). It's difficult to get a picture of it, but the underside of the invisible bangs is visible, so it looks to me that it's just upside down and not something else like bones or something.

Other threads with this problem have suggested using the Smooth All, Face to Front, or Align Normals tools. I've tried all of them- I used Align Normals to fix random backwards faces that were in the whole hair, and it fixed all of those but one but it flipped all of that hunk of bangs around (when originally there were some correct faces). Trying it now does nothing- I've tried selecting all of the hair, only the bangs group, and only the screw up section. Smooth all and face to front both do nothing.

The bangs definitely are on the UV map, and the alpha is totally white for all groups so they should be showing up.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's a way to fix these faces that doesn't involve totally remaking them? Or is the problem maybe something other than the faces being inverted? I'll admit this is my first non-tutorial mesh so I could definitely just be doing something dumb. Thank you all in advance! :D
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 10:19 PM
I can't quite tell from the little blue picture... Do the blue lines show up on the inside and the outside? If so, then you've got two sets of faces that've been sandwiched together. That might be causing some problems. See if you can separate the two pieces (you'll have to add another group in SimPE, too). Sometimes you get weird transparency issues with alpha blending layers if two mesh pieces have been merged.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 12:53 AM
Ack, I included too many pictures and they weren't even of what you needed! The blue lines are on both sides of the mesh group, but only on one side of each separate bang (on the visible side of each). I separated them into two groups and tried the three tools again, and still no luck
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 11:27 AM
Dumb questions: Do you have an image of where on the UV map this part is? Are you sure that part isn't transparent in the texture? And in what group is it?
I think there's a 'flip normals' tool in Milkshape.

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 10:02 AM
select the problem faces(not vertice) and choose '' Face/reverse vertex order''
Then alligne the normals
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 3:14 PM
this is NOT a reversed normals problem!

Your texture alpha is the reason parts of the bangs are showing up invisible. I'd go back and a hair recolor tutorial if I were you. your mesh is fine.

Section jump