Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 5:44 AM
Now, apparently, I need to extract the textures from Sims07 (although they seem to be 128x128) or do I need to link stuff again?
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 10:33 AM
I have no experience linking to stuff that is already in the game...

But for now what you could do is use the resource finder and then pick the biggest texture that comes up. Extract that. Make a normal and an alpha texture out of it.
Extract the hair project (the one that shows up with the wrong texture) in Bodyshop, replace the textures with the new textures you have. See how it looks in Bodyshop.

However this will be a new recolor and not as nifty as actually linking to the textures already available in the game.

Also, read this http://www.modthesims.info/article.php?t=139819

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Sockpuppet
#28 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 12:50 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 13th Oct 2012 at 9:21 PM.
If you only want to change Mortimer you best look him up with the neighborhoodbrowser in SimPE and change the instance id of his hair(change it to 0x4C204A06)
Replace him with this file to see if it works(back up first!!)
Neihgborhoods/N001/N001_user000
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#29 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 1:43 PM
Blooms, the hair I want isn't available ingame by any means. Its meshes and textures are still around in game files but they need linking and stuff so they would show up ingame.
Mad Poster
#30 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 7:49 PM
The big versions of the hair textures are found in Sims08, and you need the one ending with a "0" (e.g., amhairsixty-brown0_lifo). I'm not sure what filename you're looking for, but if it's in the game, that's the folder it'll be in.

To direct the game to those textures (without having to extract the textures), you need to do a few things with your recolour. First, delete the TXTR files. You don't need them if you're using the repository method (that's what this is called). Then go to your TXMT file and where it says "stdMatBaseTextureName" there will be a long string after it (something like ##0x5f1baf27!hair~stdMatBaseTextureName). Replace that long string with the texture name you found previously (e.g., amhairsixty-brown0_lifo).

Of course, you'll have to do this for each hair colour... but I can't remember how you keep them straight (it's been ages since I made hair this way). You could try downloading either of my kids' hats and having a look at what I did with the recolour packages; I used this linking method, to keep the file sizes small.

And if that doesn't work, there might be a tutorial out there. Try searching for "repository method" or "repository technique".
Scholar
#31 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 8:14 PM
Thanks, Fakepeeps, I can use that info as well

Please visit WickedNoukFamily Forum for my creations.
Can't take requests, I'm completely swamped with unfinished projects! :O
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#32 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Replace that long string with the texture name you found previously (e.g., amhairsixty-brown0_lifo).

You're exactly right, except in this example I think you'd use "amhairsixty-brown" as the texture name, leaving off the "0_lifo". The game should automatically look for which version of that texture it needs (it'll use 0_lifo when you're zoomed in close, the smaller textures when you're zoomed out far... or something like that).

There's a tutorial on repository linking clothing here. It's the same concept as hair, but with hair you've gotta do it for each mesh group, each age, and each colour. So it's a lot more tedious.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 4:15 AM
Thanks, fanseelamb. I think you're right (it's been so long since I did any meshing and linking)!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 3:35 PM
...the heck? I didn't do anything to the packages and now it shows the base mesh again. What.
I even tried resetting the Downloads folder to what it was on the day I discovered that my mesh works.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#35 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 4:10 PM
If you're testing it in-game, make sure your "sim/object detail" setting is on high. The game won't show most custom meshes if it's set to low quality. You were looking in-game right? Not at a family's loading screen? Those loading screens use the low quality settings.

Can't think of another reason why the same mesh in the same Downloads folder should stop showing up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 3rd Apr 2012 at 7:31 PM
I tried checking them in CAS and in live mode, and used highest sim/object details.
Test Subject
#37 Old 8th May 2012 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
search with Simpe's finder for:
AmHairPeak and UmHairPeak
Extract the files and build a new package

The umhairpeak texture was apparently changed to fit the adult/elder version of the hair which is actually a different hair with the same name (or maybe a heavily modified version of it).

The way it currently is, umhairpeak doesn't appear to fit in the mesh very well (or it's just me and my lack of experience with this stuff).

Mad Poster
#38 Old 8th May 2012 at 7:33 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to tweak a mesh like that to make it fit. I'm also not sure that using any mesh beginning with "U" would be that helpful, anyway. What age is it intended for? The packages beginning with "U" are most useful when it comes to textures, which are all the same, no matter what age they're for. Meshes require a perfect fit with the head for each age... which is something a one-size-fits-all mesh wouldn't provide.

PolterGeist44, did you ever get this mesh to work in your game?
Test Subject
#39 Old 11th May 2012 at 3:02 AM
That hairstyle was originally for children-elders (Alexander, Mortimer and some teens in beta neighborhoods were using it)
Only the tmhairpeak mesh is still in the simsXX.package files in (what appears to be) its original form.

The cmhairpeak mesh was apparently destroyed.

Amhairpeak (also usable for elders) was changed into a different hair.

The umhairpeak textures were modified to fit the hair above. (which explains why it won't fit the teen mesh the way it currently is)
Test Subject
#40 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 11:24 PM Last edited by JustPassingBy : 8th Jun 2012 at 11:49 PM.
So... is there anyone here with the right skills willing to help us with this one?

I'm close to ragequit on this as the only way i get this thing to show up is by replacing resources in the SimsXX.package files >

Quote: Originally posted by fanseelamb
In fact you may be able to use that "elvis" hair as a starting point to build your new mesh from.

I think using the teen mesh as a starting point to recreate the adult and child meshes instead of FrontalWave is a better idea, but it's far beyond mine and PolterGeist44's skills... And it still needs new universal textures...

Damn Simsbaby i miss you...
Test Subject
#41 Old 6th Aug 2012 at 7:12 PM
Probably nobody is going to read this, but I did this hair mesh yesterday and I'm seeking help to do the rest. What to do next?
Field Researcher
#42 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 7:02 PM
So how did this go? D:
Test Subject
#43 Old 20th Oct 2012 at 1:04 AM
None seems to be working on it anymore
Page 2 of 2