Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 6 (Who?), Viewed: 2360 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Mar 2012 at 6:27 PM
Default House loading problem.
I've had the house with all of the graves in Strangetown not wanting to load for me anymore. The original Maxis character died and the other moved out and I now have another family living there. I've played this family in this house quite a few times but now all of a sudden it doesn't want to load. I've left it loading for 20 minutes before with nothing happening. (I've also taken out all the mods I had and tried with no avail.) Could this be a result of a corrupt file and is there any way to fix it?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 22nd Mar 2012 at 6:48 PM
That would be Olive Specter's house. Have you tried moving out all the sims, and then going in?
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 1:18 AM Last edited by gazania : 23rd Mar 2012 at 1:31 AM.
Did you install ANY custom content recently ... doesn't matter what it is .... and tried to enter the house after temporarily removing it to your desktop or other folder first? Not just mods .... any content.

If worst comes to worst, you might have to try running your game without the entire Downloads folder. Cut, paste it elsewhere, start the game, see if you can get into the house. Do not save. Please, do not save. And always, always back up your game ... at the very least, back up your Downloads and Strangetown, since the problem house is in that neighborhood:

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...lp:Game_Problem

Sometimes, it's not a mod causing a problem but some object you downloaded that does something ... strange ... or two modded items not playing nicely with each other. (I'm not sure if you put modded items with your mods; for instance, put a visitor controller with a custom content skill-building item, such as a working microscope.) Did you download ANYTHING ... mods, modded items, even walls (I once had a wall or floor constantly crash my game every time I attempted to use the 50/50 Download folder method to test for a misbehaving custom content file. Since walls and floors are rarely trouble, I had put those back in first. Problem is ... I have several dozen of each! I'm still not sure what wall/floor is causing the problem ... maybe I'll check it out if I reset a neighborhood one day. I've also had a white brick wall crash my game, and STILL don't know what was up with that one. It was simply a white brick wall!)

If that isn't helping, you might have to try the game entirely vanilla. Do not save ... just see if you can enter the house. I believe you might want to back up your entire game with that one ...just in case. Fortunately, you usually don't have to go that far, but if the problem really is persistent, you might have to.

Wonky user files can make life miserable. Let's try the easiest route ... did you delete your group.cache and try to enter the house? The above link can walk you through all these steps.

Music2ologist has a good idea as well, if that doesn't work.I've had houses and/or Sims glitch on me for no reason, even after a family had been living in the house prior to the glitch. If you move them out and you can enter the house, it might be a glitched Sim. If it persists with another family, it might be a glitched lot. If your Sims are glitched, do not delete them from the Sim Bin. And since there are tombstones, don't delete the lot with the tombstones on it. I believe there are posts on how to move tombstones to a community lot, if need be.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 3:30 AM
Went through all of the steps of backing up files, taking folders out, and replacing folders like the steps had told me to only to find out that actually moving the family into the family bin was the solution that worked. Moved another family in and everything seems to be working fine. Haven't put the other family in another house in fear that all of this will happen again and me have to ultimately delete them :-(. Thank you both for your help!
Scholar
#5 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 3:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat0106
Haven't put the other family in another house in fear that all of this will happen again and me have to ultimately delete them :-(. Thank you both for your help!

You know that deleting Sims is a big no-no, right?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 11:50 PM
If you think the family is terminally borked, move them into a lot and kill them off. Do not, do not, do not delete them! (That option will break your hood. Default Strangetown is borked enough as is.)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 12:08 AM
It's probably ok anyway - moving a family out and into a new lot resets an awful lot of stuff.

Polgannon Project - Seriously, I'm still working on it.

Section jump