Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 53 (Who?), Viewed: 12677 times.
Page 1 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 12:05 AM
Default So, how do YOU start a family?
Just wondering, in general, how do you guys start your families. I usually go with one sim and get used to them before adding on. Sometimes I start with two, but usually they make too many kiddies too quick for me to handle. What about you guys? (Sorry if I made this in the wrong forum, or there is a thread like it, I'm new >.<)
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 1:08 AM
I tried making one and then finding a mate, but that didn't work very well. Now I make a married couple and wait awhile before having them try for baby.
Theorist
#3 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 1:24 AM
Welcome! I usually make a married couple and work their buns off in the garden before I let them have a baby.
Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 1:31 AM
I play with twallan's mastercontroller a lot, so when I finish making a sim, and realizing I don't want to breed my sims out with any EAxis premade sims, I take a homeless pudding face, reconstruct its face and personality in CAS based on the mess it was wearing prior to the make over, have the sim hook up with my sim, and being that I always play with male/male couples, I either adopt and edit the kid or I use master controller to give my sims an instant baby, just to see what that union looks like.
Instructor
#5 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 1:51 AM
I normally just play as a young, single mother with a female toddler. I have so many of them placed now that the female to male ratio is probably 10:1.
I just prefer making female sims over male sims since male sims always look feminine no matter how much body hair they have. :I

But sometimes I make a married couple or an engaged couple, I don't want my sims reproducing with EA sims. Blech.
I almost never make same sex couples, not because I'm against it but just because I enjoy playing with male/female couples more. :3
One Minute Ninja'd
#6 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 1:56 AM
I start out with one sim and get them established. I usually have a mate prepared and waiting in the bin/library. When I'm ready to play a couple, I merge my predetermined mate into the household. Once in a while I find a resident who seems like a good match and go with that (after some "editing" of appearance and personality with Twallan's MC).

I also found that when playing custom worlds, I like populating them out of my library collection, and use Twallan's SP to speed things along. Lately, I've been eliminating the population in EA worlds, and repopulating them as well. Much better looking sims walking around that way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 2:56 AM
So many replies! o: Anyway, for my current sim, she's neighbors with the Luck brothers in Starlight Shores, so I am trying to pair her up with one of them If I'm too lazy to make a boyfriend for her from scratch (Such as in this situation) I just edit random simmies to my needs (Someone else said they did this too c: ) xD

Edit: Oh yus and I love Master Controller So useful~
Fucking Awesome Nutbag
DELETED POST
27th Mar 2012 at 3:39 AM
This message has been deleted by Damocles. Reason: King
Banned
#8 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 5:19 AM
I used to only make one sim, but Sims 3 is too easy with one sim. One sim can afford a house nice enough that they never have to upgrade it ever again (but then, the way I play doens't have much to do with decorations or excess- I have one couch. I do not put a couch in the bedroom, or the porch, or the study. I don't need more than one couch! And because of that it's hard for me to spend lots of money anyway).

So lately I start with two sims and a pet. That seems to be enough to make things start out harder.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 5:35 AM
I usually just start out with a Male sim and go through the whole dating process. I used to just spam romantic interactions until Propose Marriage was an option but now I take things slow and old school. I even "Invite Household Over" and try to have a dinner. Rarely works that way though lol
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 8:08 AM
I don't make Sims in CAS, I only made one guy when TS3 came out, and plaid only this one family until his grandchildren started moving out of the house. Then I switched to TS2 style ageing so I could play all of his grand-kids households as well. When I lost his game, I started a new hood with 5 downloaded single sims and grown up Pansy Prudence from Twinbrooks.

Currently the hood has 1 woman left from generation 1, the rest are generation 2 and 3. When my Sims moved hoods a month or so back, I bough 4 new households into the hood, Mortimer and Bella Goth, Bella's mother and brother and Agnes. I only wanted Mortimer, Bella and Agnes, but then felt bad for leaving the rest behind, so I bought them as well.

Then something fun happened, a friend was able to restore the sims from my original hood, so I got another 7 household into my town all decendants of the first Sim I created when TS3 came out.

In my hood I have one household that is filled with interesting looking Sims I have stolen from other hoods, sometimes some of them will become playable. Like Genevieve Colby and her husband from hidden spring, I thought the husband looked very interesting so he and his wife became playable and he currently owns the bar in my hood.

Mary Baker from Twinbrooks became playable when she accepted to take over the retirement home my random legacy heir was running very badly. One of the evil step sisters and their mother, from Hidden Springs, will became playable in the next round because one of my playable guys knocked her up, and the mother comes with the package so her daughter wouldn't grow older than she is. Chase Bayless became playable when she first became Komei Tellerman's live in house-keeper, now Komei is dead, and his son didn't need her services so she moved out and became her own household. Also I have another sim who became playable by becoming a live in housekeeper.

I also have one household in my hood where I will put a few of these unplayable townies and play them. Some I'll play longer, some a shorter while. This is because I don't like my playable Sims marrying Sims who are on their first day of adulthood with no skills. This way they get a bit of life experience before I ship them back to the un-playable household. Currently in this house lives Kimiko Nakamuro and Jules O'Makey. I usually just play Kimiko. If Kimiko ever moves in with Komei's son I'll have some other townie move into this house on her behalf. Jules on the other hand is so boring I'll just let her live in this house until she become an elder and then ship her to the retirement home and then somebody else can move in on her behalf.

I don't create new Sims in CAS. If I get new households into my hood it's usually because somebody had a kid and the kid is now grown and move out. I currently have 21 households in the hood. One of my ROS events is that a new family moves into the hood, and I already have those families in my bin, but I'm not adding any more Sims into the mix until the household count is less.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 11:08 AM
I usually start with one female sim + one or two pets. Then after a while I'm off for looking a partner, and same as someone else has already written, if I can't find anyone matching my sim I just use MasterConroller to edit any sim in town.
Instructor
#12 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 1:30 PM
I started my very first TS1 game by creating a Sim. I never really changed my ways. I tried out all the original Maxis families in TS1 and played some (like the Newson family) in TS2 because of the difficulty but I never found any of them really interesting. I did not even try that in TS3.
Scholar
#13 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 4:05 PM
Master Controller all the way. Reproduction sans utero.

This is why we can never have nice things!
Field Researcher
#14 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 5:38 PM
Start with a lone Asian lady and have her adopt tons of kids

"What could I do? What should I do? What could I... what should I... It's not like I'm crying or anything! I love you!" ~Love Is War
Instructor
#15 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 7:23 PM
I start out a neighborhood with one male and one female, both young adults. Sometimes they're roommates, sometimes siblings, sometimes they don't even know each other and live in separate houses - they are never married, however. Either way, Twallan's StoryProgression and MasterController usually help me find mates for them because I'm nosy; I will wander away to a pre-made family like Agnes Crumplebottom and when I come back to my original household, they have a relationship going. Right now, my main 'hood is in Sunset Valley and is actually two different saves merged (thank goodness for Twallan's Mover!) and I'm loving it. Lots of drama, bed-hopping, jealousy and even teens marrying. Surprisingly enough, several of my playable families in the 'hood are pre-made Sims tweaked with MasterController (like Agnes Crumplebottom who's husband is alive and kicking and a great writer).

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Alchemist
#16 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 7:43 PM
I generally make a male YA sim and then find him someone to date and possibly eventually marry, producing one or more babies along the way :-) I play mainly heterosexual couples, but do also play bisexual and homosexual sims. I'm bisexual myself, so if I play a selfsim they're always bisexual too. I do like my sims to reproduce biologically though, because I like seeing how the genes are passed down, and I don't use a same-sex pregnancy mod so I prefer heterosexual couples or m-f bisexual couples so that they can have their own children. I do also impregnate sims using MasterController and a "sperm donor" or have gay male couples have babies using a surrogate mother. I like all my sims to have kids, because that's the fun part of the game for me - seeing how the town progresses over time..

If I'm playing an EA world I like my sims to be involved with some of the premades (especially Bella and Mortimer!), or if I've playing a custom world I use Twallan's SP to populate it and my sims find someone to love from the new inhabitants :-)
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 9:15 PM
I usually play legacy style, start off with one YA sim male of female, move them into a empty plot and use the familyfunds cheat to take there funds down to 1300 (atm i'm taking it down to $200) and purchase a sleeping bag and get them into one of the new professions. Once thats all settled i usually start the breeding process at adult stage, allowing the YA stage to get them high up in their chosen profession. =D
Scholar
#18 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 9:56 PM
Make one sim and take it from there.

I always found it so much fun to find a game generated sim to marry in TS2. Now that that "mystery" is no longer there as you see them around town I still think it's funny to marry some weird sim and do him/her up. Can't have too much perfection!

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 10:17 PM
I usually start with one female sim and wait for them to get established before looking for the baby provider!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 2:21 AM
I usually just make one sim and let them float around and talk to other sims, then find a soul mate (or several) and whether they're married or just whoring around, they always leave children playing in the neighborhood.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 2:31 AM
I always tell myself that I am going to have a regular family for my sims. It never happens because I find that I let the sim sort of decide what or who they want to be with, and inevitably, it's not who I'd pick. But! I like those little surprises. I also tend to play legacy style when first entering a neighborhood, and go from there. ANd yes, I do makeovers on the more horrendous townies.

Inevitably, though, I find the families I stick with are the ones that aren't the 'normal' sort. They're just more interesting.

And, I am not sure why, but I seem to wind up playing gay couples more than any other. I also use Twallan's mods to help with same sex pregnancy and clothes' meshes from MTS.
Instructor
#22 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 2:58 AM
I used to most often make a single female sim and let things go from there, sometimes I'd make a young couple or roommates. But recently I've only really been playing my Legacy, so I don't make sims in CAS all that often anymore! The most I do is pull a bunch of sims by other creators out of my simbin, make them all roommates and move them in to give my NH more variety.

waiter, there's a conundrum in my soup
The Adom Legacy
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 28th Mar 2012 at 5:19 AM
Well lately, I've been playing this guy who is very evil looking, with red skin and white eyes and devilish facial hair, with the Heartbreaker LTW. He's a suave guy who pretty much can walk up to any chick now and do "try for baby" and they'll go make one... I guess they just over look his bright red skin. lol So far he's got 8 or 9 kids with several townies pregnant with his children (still not even close to Wilde Oates!). And so far they're all really ugly or creepy. Hah! That's how I started his family.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 12:56 AM
All of these are so awesome I'm must look so weird sitting here reading these whilst snickering... xD
Instructor
#25 Old 29th Mar 2012 at 1:16 AM
What I do most usually is make a "family" of one man and one woman that I think would be cute together. Then, (since I'm quite lazy) I set their relationship to fiancee (and partly because I love throwing wedding parties). I RARELY ever let my character mate with a computer generated person, I just can't stand them...

NO CC! THE VERY THOUGHT...

But I often create just one woman, but I usually don't intend her to mate.
Page 1 of 3

Section jump