Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 3154 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 3:54 AM Last edited by downedsystem : 22nd Apr 2012 at 7:17 PM. Reason: Solved the problem and posted solution
Default Tuning LTW Master of the Arts
SOLVED: Check post #5 for solution

I have so far failed completely to find what I am looking for, so here goes asking directly.

I would like to change the requirements for the Master of the Arts LTW from mastering the painting and guitar skills to mastering the painting and bass skills. I have been led to believe that I can simply open S3PE find one or a few lines of code and change them. I cannot for the life of me find these lines. Could someone please explain exactly what I have to do or post the fixed up package? Or better yet, could someone point me to a thread that's explained this already?

Thank you for any and all help!
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 9:02 PM
I've actually figured out a great deal of this problem now.

I used S3PE to open the GameplayData.package in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\Gameplay. I then found the DreamsAndPromisesNodes.xml which I opened in notepad. I searched the notepad file for Lifetime Dreams til I found the one I was looking for. (<Id>1432152990</Id>) Then I replaced all instances of "guitar" with "bass" save the one referring to the icon. After doing all this, I was able to achieve the Master of the Arts lifetime wish by mastering only painting and bass. (with a little cooking skill on the side) So all of that works. What I can't figure out is how to change the description of the LTW itself. It still refers to the guitar skill.

Could anyone help me with this part of my little project?
Instructor
#3 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 11:09 PM
I'm not very good at stuff like this, but I think you need to find the strings and change those.

My true to life tumblr: http://smargent.tumblr.com/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Apr 2012 at 11:27 PM
I actually managed to do that since my last post. I used S3PE again to pull Strings_ENG_US_0x000F16B00BA8342F out of FullBuild0 found in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\Packages. I edited the STBL with Namethief's TS3 STBL editor, changing all relevant instances of guitar with bass. Then I imported that file back into S3PE and saved it as a package which I placed in C:\Users\downedsystem\Desktop\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages. The problem I'm having now is that when I load up the game, the aforementioned guitars are now basses, but other random text has vanished completely.

Any idea what's happening or where I can go to find out?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 7:15 PM Last edited by downedsystem : 24th Apr 2012 at 2:11 AM. Reason: Way better solution
Default Solution
Alright now! I think we can mark this one solved. The Lifetime Wish description only refers to the bass now and maxing only the painting skill and the bass skill will trigger the LTW. So I believe it's working. I'll post the full process here in case someone trying to do what I just did happens upon this.

I used S3PE and Namethief's stbl editor.

First I opened GameplayData with s3pe. I found the xml named DreamsAndPromisesNodes and opened it in Notepad using the button in the bottom right. Using the search term of "Lifetime Dreams" I found the primitives listing of the Master of the Arts wish. Here I changed all references of "guitar" to "bass", save the one referring to the icon. Then I right clicked the edited line and exported it. I then closed S3PE WITHOUT saving. That caused the LTW to work the way I wanted it to. I changed the mentions of guitar in the description of the LTW by opening FullBuild0 with S3PE and finding the stbl named Strings_ENG_US_0x000f16b00ba8342f. I right clicked and exported the stbl as a file. I opened that file with Namethief's stbl editor. I searched for Master of the Arts and found the "Master the Guitar Skill" line a few entries over. I changed those by typing in the right window, then searched for a line in the LTW's description which led me to the description itself which I then changed. Then I saved that file. For some reason, I couldn't get Namethief's to open DeltaBuild0's Strings_ENG line so I had to use s3pe's Edit STBL option found where the Notepad option was earlier. I poured through those lines 'til I found the Master of the Arts section and changed those manually. I then exported that line just like the xml earlier and exited WITHOUT saving. That should get the description to match the new requirements. I think I had to use Large Address Aware.exe on S3PE to get it to open those packages. Now the final thing I did was open a new file in S3PE and used the resource tap to import one of the files at a time and save that one file as a package. I now have three packages, one for each edited file. I added these packages to the mods folder and everything works.
The one thing I didn't manage was changing the notification for the LTW. That still mentions the guitar skill. I'm sure the above would work for it, I just can't seem to find the lines to edit.

Hope this helps someone else out there. I'll edit this post if I ever do find those last lines.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 8:45 PM
Are you editing the game files directly?

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 10:20 PM
Yes, I'm editing the game files themselves. I just kept backups of the files I edited in case I broke anything. I couldn't get the mod packages working for some reason. Clearly I'm a very new at this.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 10:29 PM
It's good that you kept back ups. Go to this page and follow these directions: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Setup_and_Files
This will allow you to use mod packages in your game.

I can't really tell you what to do with your own game, but it is a very bad idea to edit the game files directly, and this way of modding should not be recommended to anyone. Once you've got your Mods folder working, you will be able to export the altered XML/STBL files that you created and make mod packages with those. Then restore your back ups.

I hope you understand that I'm not trying to pick on you. If you have questions or need help, feel free to PM me if you don't want to carry the conversation in public anymore.

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 10:41 PM
No, no. Thanks for posting! I couldn't find the resource for what I was trying to do, so I was attempting to make one for others, clearly very poorly. I didn't mean to say that I couldn't get the Mods folder or mods in general working, just this one. Probably just means that I can't figure out how to make them myself. I have Awesomemod and MasterController working just fine.

When I attempted to export the files, edit them and then import them back, they would cause other text to disappear. It was really strange and I couldn't figure out how to make it work any other way. What would you suggest I do as far as getting this working without editing core files and not leading others down this dangerous path?
Forum Resident
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 10:51 PM
Is the problem only with the STBLs or also the XML? When you make the mod, do you delete any tags/text that you didn't alter? That portion of the XML modding tutorial at the sims wiki is not correct. You'll need to leave all unaltered tags/text in the XML/STBL in order for the mod to work properly.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 11:16 PM
I think the issue is with creating the package file itself. I realized when trying to recreate my original failed attempt that I never tried to package the XML, I just edited that directly from the start. When I created the package, I only used the one STBL from the FullBuild0 file. That was causing the problem. I think it overwrites the DeltaBuild0's line of the same name for some reason. I don't actually know how to add both the FullBuild0 STBL and the DeltaBuild0 STBL to the same package without one being replaced or rejected. Any advice or links?
Forum Resident
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 11:35 PM
I have very little experience with altering STBLs. But I took a look at them and they have the same TGI which is why they overwrite each other. Maybe somebody who has more experience with STBLs can help :/

Since EA is using them though, maybe you can make a separate package for each STBL?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 24th Apr 2012 at 1:57 AM
It worked! I am now using three separate package files to execute the mod, I kept the XML separate as well. I'll edit the solution post to reflect the safer method.

I would still like to combine these three packages if someone knows a way to do that. I would also like to edit the note the LTW leaves if someone could point me in the right direction.

All things considered... success!! Thanks Nona! Maybe you could look over my updated process and approve it for future modders?
Forum Resident
#14 Old 24th Apr 2012 at 9:07 AM Last edited by nonamena : 24th Apr 2012 at 9:47 AM.
That's great to hear I had to go to sleep because it was getting really late hehe.

Regarding your updated solution, I still wouldn't recommend people to make any changes while looking at what's in the gameplaydata.package. I would tell them to export the XML resource to a file (or a package) first, and then make their changes once they've imported the XML to a new package. This ensures that they won't accidentally save over the game play files. Lord knows I've saved accidentally plenty of times when I didn't want to. I'm wondering, did you ever take a look at the XML Tuning Modidng Tutorial? I had thought you did.

The part about the STBL seems spot on, as far as I can tell. Like I said, I haven't done much with STBLs myself.

I'm curious. Did you check if you only made changes to the text for the Master of Arts LTW and not inadvertently the Golden Tongue, Golden Fingers etc. LTW (or any other that requires Guitar skill) as well, ?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 2:59 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was busy trying to find the last bit I needed to truly complete this mod.

I believe it was the tutorial you linked that taught me to do everything I did end up doing. I see the section you're probably referring to, the one about only editing the exported file. I have this horrible habit of skimming and I skipped over that part because I thought I had what I needed to know. I did check the Golden Tongue, Golden Fingers LTW just to be sure and that hasn't changed. The "Master the Guitar Skill" lines are all separate within the STBL files.

Now on to the juicy part. I found another STBL editor by the name of Stubble . With Stubble I was better able to search the Strings_ENG file and I found the notification using a snibbit of the text of the notification itself as search terms. I opened the package files I had already created for the rest of the mod and edited the text lines right there. I then saved the file and replaced the STBL within. It has been tested and it does work.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 3:11 PM
I tend to skip over the most important parts of whatever I'm reading too Glad everything is working properly now.

Theorist
#17 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 6:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by downedsystem
When I created the package, I only used the one STBL from the FullBuild0 file. That was causing the problem. I think it overwrites the DeltaBuild0's line of the same name for some reason. I don't actually know how to add both the FullBuild0 STBL and the DeltaBuild0 STBL to the same package without one being replaced or rejected.

All of the stuff in the DeltaBuild0 is NEWER than all of the stuff in the FullBuild0. The FullBuild files came with the original game in 2009; when EA has altered some of these base game resources or added brand new ones, the new ones are in the DeltaBuild files. This is not only the STBL's, but everything else in there: OBJDs, OBJKs, GEOMs, CLIPs, XML etc.

When modding any of these things from the FullBuild files, one should always use the one found in the DeltaBuild, and ignore the one in the FullBuild. If one cannot find the thingy in the DeltaBuild, then use the original one from the FullBuild.

The way the game reads these two files (forgetting about mods for the moment) is that anything in the DeltaBuilds have priority over the FullBuild thingies, so if the same resource appears in these two files, the DeltaBuild resource will be loaded and the FullBuild version ignored.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 7:49 PM
So what you're saying is that the steps that dealt with FullBuild0 including the package in the mods folder were, and are, completely unnecessary?
Theorist
#19 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 9:59 PM
AFAIK the STBLs should be taken from the DeltaBuild0, modded from there, and this one thingy should be used as the STBL part of a mod. There shouldn't be two of the same STBL to make such a mod work correctly. (None of the Object mods or Scripting mods which use STBL strings have these two copies of the same STBL, they only have one.)

So yes, touching the FullBuild0 in any way shape or form should be unnecessary, if one mods the STBL from the DeltaBuild and uses this as a separate mod package in the Mods\Packages.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Apr 2012 at 11:38 PM
And it works completely without the FullBuild mod section. That means that I can combine the two packages into one mod like a normal person. Thanks for the help Shimrod! I think I'll wait a day or two, to see if anyone else has any pointers, and then completely rewrite the solution post. Really, thanks you two.

Section jump