Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 49 (Who?), Viewed: 10295 times.
Page 2 of 2
Forum Resident
#26 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 2:33 PM
I went back to TS1 not that long ago and now I remember why I used to cheat so much: dear god it's hard!!

I love TS2 and in many ways prefer it to TS3, but I just can't go back to it because of the lack of story progression (even though I use Twallan's!) and the loading screens.

However, I am a bit of a control freak and so I never play more than one sim family in each TS3 save game; I hate to leave them to their own devices! You'll go back and there will be a random baby on the floor and they'll all have changed jobs.
Alchemist
#27 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 6:14 PM
I used to think it was interesting when I first started playing ts3 to see story progression in action, and play one house for awhile but then go back and see how all the other familys had changed. I remember when I did it in Sunset Valley during one game and noticed that Agnes Crumplebottom had gained a lot of weight. I just remember thinking that was so cool, despite the brokenness of ea's story progression which I hadn't noticed yet.
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
#28 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 8:53 PM
The thing I always notice is how quickly I can build in Sims 2. I love the CASt tool dearly, but it takes me so long to decorate a room!

Sims 2 has excellent opportunities for businesses, I just wish I could send my sim off on a walk of the neighbourhood to see them all!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH
Field Researcher
#29 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 1:53 AM
While I do miss some objects, some hairstyles(even if some of them are CC), some clothing but what I miss the most and that I'd give my right arm for a modder to come up with, is being able to play rockabilly with the band from UNI. I can't complain about music stations either, TS2's both rock and metal stations were awful, in TS3 we've got rockabilly AND country(even though it does have some awful country). I remember back when I heard that TS3 was going to come out, one of the things I got most psyched about was being able to have separate shoes, pants and shirt. But there's another thing from TS2 I miss, being able to buy clothes. I fucking loved it, it made my life so much easier than having to load all clothes just to pic one.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, lol.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 2:10 AM
I've tried, and I really do enjoy the nostalgia factor from going back to TS1 and TS2, but I felt inconvenienced/annoyed by the things like loading screens, day-to-night transitions and a few other things. I have yet to go back for more than a few hours though, despite the nostalgia.
My favorite thing about TS2 is the amazing range of interactions, but TS3 tops TS2 when it comes to animations. Imho, the ones in TS2 just look so unrealistic, especially the facial ones, which border on creepy when you're not used to it anymore.
Field Researcher
#31 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 12:54 PM
I had been playing TS3 since it came out and have bought all the EPs except SHT. For the longest time I could not imagine going back to TS2. An open neighborhood, aging sims, different body types and voices, more skill sets, traits, CASt. TS3 seemed so much more. But a long while ago I got nastalgic. TS2 had already been on my computer so I just started playing it again. And what I found was that I don't mind the loading screens or not being able to customize every single thing.

TS2 is lots of fun and it is a very different from TS3. I am glad my PC can have many games on it and that I can play either game whenever I get the urge.
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 5:31 PM
I've gone back briefly a few times. My general impression was that it seemed a lot more energetic than TS3. The sims move around faster, they seemed more active. There are a lot more sounds, even the wants and fears thing makes a lot more racket and is more animated, like a slot machine. They also seemed cuter, the teens have a bouncy walk and cuter voices. They tend to smile a lot more and overall seem to be happier by default. The game itself seems quicker, more responsive. Pie menus react immediately. TS3 seems more slower paced, a bit more lethargic. Not as much going on in one place, probably because it's not as important to cram as many activities into one place with the open world. Even my pie menu takes a second or two after clicking to show up.

I also thought the TS2 sims that I had thought looked so much better than TS3 sims, didn't look as good any more. I started to nit-pick things, like the blockier faces and bodies due to lower poly models, the less realistic eye movements, lack of variation in body shape, and the unusually high chin-to-neck distance on male sims. I have gotten to really like the sims I make in TS3, so I realized that I really like TS3 sims a lot better than TS2 sims despite my opinion having been the opposite when TS3 came out (though I still don't care for the looks of the majority of EA-supplied sims).

Meh.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat
I also thought the TS2 sims that I had thought looked so much better than TS3 sims, didn't look as good any more. I started to nit-pick things, like the blockier faces and bodies due to lower poly models, the less realistic eye movements, lack of variation in body shape, and the unusually high chin-to-neck distance on male sims. I have gotten to really like the sims I make in TS3, so I realized that I really like TS3 sims a lot better than TS2 sims despite my opinion having been the opposite when TS3 came out (though I still don't care for the looks of the majority of EA-supplied sims).

I feel the same way. My TS2 sims just don't look as nice as my TS3 sims. And the premade TS3 sims eyes and heads are too big. And most of the female sims are too muscular.
Test Subject
#34 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 2:10 PM
Last week I re-installed TS2, not because I was bored of TS3 but because I heard a music on the radio that reminded me of TS2. I'm like that. I know it's weird. Now I've uninstalled TS2.. I can't play it. I miss too much things from Sims 3 to go back to Sims 2 even if I do love it. One of the things that amazed me was that I started noticing a lot of flaws in TS2. When the sims 3 came out, I had already stopped playing the sims 2 because I was very bored with it. Mind that I had all the Eps. I don't do legacies, stories and the likes... I play my way and I thinks sims 3 suits my play style much better than Sims 2.
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 5:12 PM
I personally loved the Prosperity Challenge back on TS2 and that's why I've tried going back. However, the open world experience always trumped any interest I had. As much as I miss the endless slew of interactions between sims and seasons... I can't play it. I just wish they would have given some thought to making TS3 like TS2 in content, but with the open world feel.

"Patterning your life around others' opinions is nothing but slavery."
-- Lawana Blackwell
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 1st May 2012 at 11:31 PM
Today, I decided I was going to replay The Sims 2. I've been going back and forth, capturing screenshots to rebuild some of the lots I've built so I can remake them in The Sims 2. To be honest, I'm not finding it hard to go back. They feel like completely different games to me instead of being a part of the same series. The Sims 2 is obviously more tuned to handle one household, as opposed to The Sims 3 being tuned to handle the entire town. Each game has something that I wish the other had, but overall, the differences in the way each one feels makes me appreciate the other for what it is. Now back to make my café from The Sims 3 into one that can actually function and sell food...
Test Subject
#37 Old 2nd May 2012 at 1:34 AM
I reinstalled my Sims 2 game a couple of months ago, and I go back to it now and then. Two of the things I miss the most about Sims 2 are probably the amount of interactions it has, compared to Sims 3, and how Sims 2 relationships are more two-sided - that two sims in a relationship doesn't necessarily feel the same about each other.
But the major thing that eventually makes me go back to playing Sims 3 again is probably the story progression, I really like how everything isn't just focused on the household you're currently playing with, because in Sims 2 that made me grow tired of households a lot easier..
Field Researcher
#38 Old 7th May 2012 at 9:52 PM
I just finished installing the game, expansions and stuff packs and after 20 minutes of playing, the veredict, BORE-EFFING-DOM. Seriously, I don't remember it being this boring. I even got some essential mods and it's not doing it for me, what's going on?! :O
Mad Poster
#39 Old 8th May 2012 at 6:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraavio
I just finished installing the game, expansions and stuff packs and after 20 minutes of playing, the veredict, BORE-EFFING-DOM. Seriously, I don't remember it being this boring. I even got some essential mods and it's not doing it for me, what's going on?! :O

That was my experience as well. Except I tried to play it every now and then during a two weeks period. I was surprised I was not missing laundry as much I as I thought I would, but I was also surprised how little I felt for the Sims. After traits personality points don't really make a personality stand out. I really missed the quirkiness of my Sims, the drama, their personality, everything. I downloaded the mods I knew I needed to keep the game fun and challenging, I downloaded lots that I've been drooling over, but nothing.

There will always be items and interactions I will miss from TS2, but there was much much more I kept missing from my TS3 game when I plaid. For example, I was playing Daisy Greenman after she grew up and was unplantisimfied. I wanted to make her kind of an explorer woman. The only exploring I could come up with was sending her to an empty lot to dig for treasure. In TS3 I could have send her hunt for gems, do a user or EA created tomb, or sent her digging on a dig site. And the empty lot, that was supposed to be in the middle of no-where, had to be attached to a street, and by the time I left it it was filled with townies pillow fighting. Made me miss having real rural lots with no visitors other than my sim.

Then when I sent her to bar, I really missed all the drink Sims can drink. Not just one type that looks like a glass of water. I also missed going to community lots and having sims already there. Instead of going to an empty lot, waiting for a few second before the game generated people to visit the lot.

When building, I really missed the option to drag an entire wall. I also missed being able to add items anywhere without omps, and didn't at all remember that chairs don't snap to the table before going to live mode.

There were things I thought I would like to see in TS3, like some of the flirt interactions, bugs in plants, and how plants grew in different times, not at the same exact moment. But at the same time, I could see how much things have improved since TS2. Like having more than five types of plants, being able to grow a tree from a seed instead of buying it full grown, and being able to move the plant around the lot without breaking it after it has grown.
Theorist
#40 Old 8th May 2012 at 8:18 AM
I'm actually back on Sims 2 now, I am just so frustrated with Sims 3 CC, but feel like I can't play without CC (lose all my current files, boring without their pretty CC, etc), so I'm back to CC-less Sims 2 Of course they aren't as pretty, but I kind of like that. They're more cartoony, which is nice. I'm finding keeping them alive is harder too XD
Top Secret Researcher
#41 Old 8th May 2012 at 1:01 PM
They do die a bit easier, don't they? My Sims 3 sims live forever compared to the Sims 2 sims. Or maybe I am just not as careful with them.
Alchemist
#42 Old 8th May 2012 at 5:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acid_fairy
I hate to leave them to their own devices! You'll go back and there will be a random baby on the floor and they'll all have changed jobs.

Ironically that's what I love about the game most
Field Researcher
#43 Old 9th May 2012 at 3:27 AM
one thing i miss about TS2 that i don't think anyone has mentioned:
in TS2 i could have an attractive male and attractive female and their children would all be beautiful.
in TS3 i could have an attractive male and female, but their kid will still look like a mutant.
it's hit or miss really. example: my family just had two daughters. one is really pretty, the other one looks like her face was run over with a car. i fixed her in CAS and she's pretty now...
Scholar
#44 Old 9th May 2012 at 3:58 AM
thats why they added plastic surgery with pets
Field Researcher
#45 Old 9th May 2012 at 5:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcowcapoos
in TS2 i could have an attractive male and attractive female and their children would all be beautiful.
in TS3 i could have an attractive male and female, but their kid will still look like a mutant.
it's hit or miss really. example: my family just had two daughters. one is really pretty, the other one looks like her face was run over with a car. i fixed her in CAS and she's pretty now...

I haven't experience this. If I have pretty parents, I always get pretty children. Perhaps the sims you are using are very different in features. In TS2 if I had pretty sims that have very different features, I would end up with ugly children.
Test Subject
#46 Old 9th May 2012 at 5:39 AM
I actually think it's the other way around. I felt like all Sims 2 sims had so much edited that I never liked their children. But Sims 3 lends itself to better blending, perhaps because the faces aren't quite as extreme. Also, I thoroughly enjoy not having clone kids like I always did in Sims 2, because I always forgot to "roll the pacifier."

I couldn't go back. I tried to after World Adventures and was so surprised to find myself immediately back with Sims 3. I couldn't even last an hour.
Field Researcher
#47 Old 9th May 2012 at 4:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaVie
I haven't experience this. If I have pretty parents, I always get pretty children. Perhaps the sims you are using are very different in features. In TS2 if I had pretty sims that have very different features, I would end up with ugly children.

that's what i thought too. so a few times i've tried using an attractive saved sim i had and i would make their spouse be that same saved sim but convert them to the opposite sex, so their faces would be the same. they still had funky looking kids.. maybe it's just my game
Alchemist
#48 Old 9th May 2012 at 7:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcowcapoos

Like others here have said, I've gotten more mutant kids from attractive parents in Sims 2 than I ever got in Sims 3. And if you do get one in Sims 3, you fix it in CAS, and it won't breed the ugliness into the next generation.
In Sims 2, if you used plastic surgery on a Sim, you need to use SimsPE to make the changes genetic so your ugly Sim didn't breed more ugly kids.

I did try going back to Sims 2 after Sims 3 base game came out. I did miss the romantic and other interactions that Sims 3 doesn't have. But, as soon as I added a second Sim to my empty neighborhood and I had to go back to moving between households to keep them both aging and progressing, I remembered why I quit playing Sims 2 months before Sims 3 even came out. I can't play without story progression (though I have to use Twallan's, as EA really did a crap job with it on their own).
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 10th May 2012 at 7:40 AM
One thing I TOTALLY miss from TS2....my sims looking RIGHT AT ME. At first, it freaked me out (okay, it still does), but it got my attention. Especially when I sent them to do something against their personality.
Alchemist
#50 Old 10th May 2012 at 4:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocklitkiss
One thing I TOTALLY miss from TS2....my sims looking RIGHT AT ME. At first, it freaked me out (okay, it still does), but it got my attention. Especially when I sent them to do something against their personality.

That's one thing that used to drive me nuts. Especially when you'd have a Sim low in Nice points out on a date, and he'd roll a want to massage his date. So, you have him do it and he'd look at you like you were the crazy one. Hello...you supposedly 'want' to give this massage, buddy, don't complain to me when I let you have what you roll wants for...
Page 2 of 2

Section jump