Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 2303 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 4:52 AM
Default Missing Files/Folders?
First of all, I bought Sims 2 Double Deluxe (Base game and Late Night), Best of Business (OFB and Kitchen and Bath), Pets, and Seasons as discs. I downloaded University Life (Uni and TSS) and the FT set (FT and IKEA) from Origin. I use Windows Vista. Oh, and all my EPs seem to work fine, as far as I know. I'm just missing the extra folders.

I don't know if it's just me, but even though I've bought/downloaded almost all of the expansion packs, I only have folders for Double Deluxe and Store Edition. I know each EP is supposed to have its own folder, so this seems strange. And even the Store Edition Folder is almost empty, and only has something called "uContent." In case it makes a difference, this is an XML document that has four lines. It says:
Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<uContentList>

<targetContent ContentId="sims2_club"/>

</uContentList>

Now, being the computer dummy I am, I have no idea what this means. I just added it because it seemed important. Anyway, moving on, I am also missing a file named esrb.ini in my Games folder for Sims 2. I noticed the absence of this file while trying to download some new games into my game (game-ception? ). I don't know exactly what this file does, but if the ReadMe for the download says I need it, it must be important. I guess so, anyway. I mean, the code writers and modders are the smart people, not me. But is there anyway I can replace the file?

Btw, I have tried multiple times to reinstall my game and EPs and I have never had the folders or the esrb.ini file. Could my installation files be corrupted or missing pieces?

If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Okay, I know my post has been pretty boring. Sorry about not being too interesting...

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 5:17 AM
I believe the Store Edition folder should be empty like that, unless you purchase and install anything from the TS2Store. (Which is pretty much impossible because the TS2Store is closed.)

I'm not sure why the other games don't have folders, unless they're installed into the origin folder? If you have one of course.

Both graphical and technical fidelity are in an embargo.

Let there be love, let there be hate, let there be speculation! The Sims 4 rated RP for Repulsive Preconception
Site Helper
#3 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 3:57 PM
You're obviously looking at your Documents folder, which holds your save games. It sounds like you are looking for your installation files. If you don't know where you installed the game, try searching your hard drive(s) for Sims2*.exe.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th May 2012 at 7:50 AM Last edited by BandGeek25 : 21st May 2012 at 7:50 PM. Reason: not specific enough

I was looking at my Documents folder, but even though I tried searching for Sims2*.exe and many other variations on phrasing on my entire computer, nothing came up. I'm starting to think my computer just hates me.

I am supposed to be looking for C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\Overrides (to download the Freetime Inteenimater). Because I use Vista, I am supposed to go to Program Files (x86), which I did. I found all of the folders for my expansions...except, of course, Freetime and University, which I downloaded from Origin direct download. Apparently they didn't come with folders or something.

Should I just try reinstalling those two EPs? They are the only ones I am have trouble with now. Thank you for your time and assistance. It is very appreciated. Thank you! :D
Site Helper
#5 Old 20th May 2012 at 4:38 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th May 2012 at 6:06 PM.
You'll have to keep looking. Of course, it would help if you searched your entire hard drive. I know that Origin installs in its own folder, perhaps C:\Program Files\Origin?

Reinstalling won't help you; it will just quickly use up your entire install limit (EA will only allow you to install downloaded games a limited number of times). You just need to determine where the files are already installed. Believe me, they are somewhere on your hard drive.

When you search, be sure to search hidden and system files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st May 2012 at 8:03 PM
I'm sorry about not being very specific before, but I meant that I searched my whole computer, not just my documents folder.

Do you know what the installation limit is? I've already installed these games a couple of times, not knowing about the limit. Is it possible to reset it, or would I just have to buy the games again once I pass it? I probably wouldn't bother, but just a hypothetical question.

Oh, and once when I installed the games, the folders showed up, but everything in them disappeared again after I launched the game except the TSdata folder, the Res folder inside it, and the lights folder inside that. Everything else was gone. And by gone, I mean gone without a trace. I know I should have backed them up while I had them, but for whatever reason, I didn't. I don't even know what's going through my own head half the time...

Is there any way to get a new copy of each folder? I mean, could they be attached to a a message and downloaded? Sorry if I'm being an idiot/noob, but I honestly don't know what to do at this point.

I tried contacting EA, but they required me to include something about bandwidth and some error code. I didn't know what they were, so I just couldn't send the e-mail.

Thank you for being patient and helpful. I am just a hopeless noob by myself
Site Helper
#7 Old 21st May 2012 at 9:11 PM
No, I don't know what the install limit is; I avoid buying games with installation limits like those from Origin. I'm sure that you can find that information from EA.

No, you can't reset the installation limit, because that's set and maintained by EA to prevent you from installing "too often"; it's another one of EA's piracy-protection schemes.

Yes, you have to buy the game again if you install it "too often". I understand that there are places where you can buy and download the games legally without the Origin spyware and installation limits, such as GamersGate. However, as long as you use Origin, you'll be bound by their rules. I suppose that you could always try arguing with EA.

No, we can't just give you the installation folders. That would be piracy. It also wouldn't work unless you already have the necessary registry keys. Even backing up the folders before you run the game won't work unless the registry keys remain even after the folder has been deleted. That said, you should definitely try backing up the installation folders the next time that you install, just in case the registry keys are still there.

So, you know where to find the folders, but they disappear when you run the game? If you're using the launcher, then you may be running into a known bug. Here's a FAQ about bypassing the launcher to avoid the bug:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...assing_Launcher
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st May 2012 at 11:31 PM
I'm not quite sure sure what the registry keys are or how to know if they are still there.

I looked at the linked FAQ and followed the directions the best I could. However, I don't have a shortcut/launcher for FreeTime itself. I use the one for OFB to run the game. The only way to run the game through FreeTime or University is through Origin (as far as I know). Is there a way to bypass the launcher through the Best of Business collection? And even if I do fix the bug, how will I get the folders back?
Site Helper
#9 Old 22nd May 2012 at 12:42 AM
If your installation folders are gone, then the only way to get them back is to reinstall.

Someone else will have to answer your questions about bypassing the launcher with Best of Business.

Section jump