Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2012 at 10:31 AM
Default Terrain Sculpting Tool Failing When Import My Own .png File
Hey Guys,
Ok when i import my own .png photo for my world it comes up ok but i cannot create any hills or mountains, i can create valleys and rivers and all but whenever i try to make hills or mountains it just doesn't work, well it does but it only goes to a certain hight (Possibly about the size of a 5 metre hill in real life).

I dont know what to do, is it something in the settings or something?

Also the tool works with all pre made .png files.

Hope you can help x :D
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd May 2012 at 5:11 AM
I may be wrong, but it sounds like you've hit the height extents. When you started your world, do you recall what maximum height you selected?
If your median elevation in the world is already approaching the limit, your hills and mountains will flatten out when they hit that limit.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2012 at 10:19 AM
My height limit was 300 but as i said before it works with other files just not the one that i want it to
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd May 2012 at 2:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aaronfindeiss
My height limit was 300 but as i said before it works with other files just not the one that i want it to

Could you put the png in an archive(zip, rar) and upload it as an attachment? That would make it easier to narrow down...

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 2nd May 2012 at 2:52 PM
but maybe your own png all starts off too light grey, so that is all starting near the top height limit anyway.if you want to get higher hills, make your png darker all over, and then lower the sea level, so you get more height difference between the sea and the max height limit.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd May 2012 at 6:06 PM
I agree with Inge and Frog- you've definitely hit your limit. Make the heighbmap darker and you should have more room left to play with.

Otherwise you'd have to use SuperCAW to make a world with more height- but that will increase the resource payload, too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th May 2012 at 6:07 AM
Never mind guys i found out the problem, turns out the height map editor that i was using didn't create the images properly, it works now so im happy, thanks for your help anyway :P