Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2012 at 2:50 PM
Default So I made a "so layered" mistake???
I'm halfway on creating a world and just realize an uncertain dire possibility of failure-ness and a deadly super lag world after it has been finished

I create my world with layers which not following the orthodox customs of people are making a world (Objects, trees, stone layers, etc)

I create my world with layer such as (Village Dessert , Swamp, City Slums, City Downtown, Elite, Port and so on
So what I would like to confirm ... which is this method I obliviously using, will it be greatly affect my world's performance?
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 2nd May 2012 at 4:27 AM
As for as I know, its not the amount of layers which affect the lag, but the items in them. As far as I have experimented, they're just there for ease of the creator. Ask SImsample just to be sure though.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
#3 Old 2nd May 2012 at 4:29 AM
I hope I recall correctly, I think simsample said it doesn't really matter, except for trees and shrubs. These should be grouped together on the same layer, because the game clusters them together as a single object for each type of tree or shrub, probably on a per chunk basis.

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 2nd May 2012 at 6:02 PM
Yes, layers are just for organisation, except where trees and plants are concerned- see this 'twitter':
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g70enl

More discussion here:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...yer#post3823646
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd May 2012 at 2:44 AM
Thanks for the reply and participations
Alchemist
#6 Old 3rd May 2012 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Yes, layers are just for organisation, except where trees and plants are concerned.

If there are plants on different layers, can those groups be moved between the layers? For example, make a new layer for plants and move all plants from other layers to that new one. Would that fix it?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 3rd May 2012 at 6:33 PM
That's a solution...although I've noticed that things seem to get renamed during clustering. That's to say, that while all of your palm trees may not have been on the same layer, perhaps three of them were, and were auto clustered by CAW. A tree in that situation may have been renamed from palm tree_12 to game object_103, making later regrouping to a single layer more problematic..

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
Alchemist
#8 Old 4th May 2012 at 4:57 PM
Ah, yes, that... Well, sometimes when I have written in the CAW search bar a name of a certain tree, the program has given me also those object groups as a result. Maybe if used that way, the program still recognizes the trees even though they have been merged. I'll have to do some testing.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 5th May 2012 at 2:49 AM
Would like to know if that works out for you...
I usually keep my lots layer selected at all times, because they are the worst to move if they have build stuff on them. After I add other things, I migrate them to the correct layer. This works well for me as long as I move them quickly, before renaming occurs. Once in a while I get lazy and procrastinate, though...

Simulis
απολαυστικά κακό
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 7th May 2012 at 11:50 AM
It's easy to find out what objects are though by right clicking on the name in the world layers panel and choosing 'Find in render panel'. Likewise you can select an object in the render panel, hit space and click 'Find in World Layers panel'.

The trees are renamed when grouped because they are actually merged into a single object. The name as displayed in the world layers panel is not important except for allowing you (the creator) to identify objects easily. You can rename any object to whatever you like.

For the trees, it's important also to realise that they are grouped by type, chunk and layer. So, for a tree to be grouped with others it must be in the same chunk and on the same layer as other trees of the same type. This means that a large Blackgum tree will only be grouped with other large Blackgum trees, and only if they are in the same chunk and on the same layer. So don't worry too much about having all of your trees on the same layer- it's just easier if they are, but not necessarily better or easier to organise.