Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 20 (Who?), Viewed: 5438 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 12:33 AM Last edited by jumei-san : 10th Jun 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Default Laptop overheating problem
Hello everyone!

I have a medion akoya laptop with specs that are fine for The Sims 3 (intel core i3, Nvidia geforce gt 425m, 4Gb RAM). The Sims 3 works nice, is pretty fast, BUT my laptop crashes all the time due to overheating (I guess, since the processors become 80 celcius degrees. My laptop won't start anymore until I waited it to cool down).

I'm so tired of it that I want to buy a pc again instead of a laptop. Has anyone had this problem too?

Anyway, the pc I want to buy has a Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor, AMD Radeon™ HD7670 with 1 GB DDR5 video memory, 6 GB DDR3 intern memory. Is this enough to play The Sims 3 without any problems?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I am not sure if this is the right catagory or if I am even allowed to ask this here. Please inform me if I am doing anything wrong.
Advertisement
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#2 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 12:57 AM
this is a common problem with laptops in general. things you can do are: buy a cooling pad/fan, make sure there is enough open space around the fan for air to circulate.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:57 AM
Yeah I had this problem too, but I got a little pad thing that you put under it and when you turn it on, it fans & cools it.
I have this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/10884570?...wl5=pla&veh=sem

i am spiders georg
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 3:16 AM
It's just the nature of a laptop's design. Aftermarket products can help cool components, but there's no way you can be certain that you're adequately protecting all the laptop's systems. Overheating to the point of crashing will result in temperature related failure and shortened lifespan.

The basic specs for the pc you mention should be sufficient to run TS3 nicely (not perfectly, as everyone, regardless of how "beefy" the system is. will have occasional hiccups and short lags, especially if you're heavily modded and using lots of custom content). The other factors to look at are the case used (is there a good airflow pattern set up with good sized fans, or is everything crammed into some small footprint custom case; think "could be a problem like a laptop"), and the power supply. Faster processors, more memory, and faster video cards (although the 7670 isn't too bad for current demands, but the newer, (yes, I know, but like a few months), 7700 series supposedly require 10-20% fewer watts than earlier cards) all require well built power supplies rated to supply sufficient current to keep it all running. This is one area system manufacturers' can cheap out on, but will really limit you, especially if you ever want to add additional HDs, or upgrade your video card. Sorry, no magic solutions out there. Still, while the portability of a laptop can't be beat, a well built desktop will outperform them on stuff like TS3, or really, any demanding 3D game application, all for half (or more) of the laptop's price.

BTW, you still should get a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of a new system like you're thinking about (like Win 7 64, or, please don't, Vista 64). Yes, I know TS3 is a 32 bit game, but a 64 bit OS can allow the game to take advantage of the most memory it can subject to the 32 bit limitation. A 32 bit OS will still have a memory footprint that will affect the actual amount of physical memory available to the game. Or, you could wait for Win 8 to come out, and see how TS3 plays on that new abomination err, system. Imagine, TS3 will have lived to run on 4 different Microsoft OSs; XP, Vista, Win 7, and coming up, Win 8. You can't say EA doesn't go for longevity in this game. I guess TS4 will need a 128 bit Win 12 quantum computer (actually, will quantum computers even have bits anymore?) to finally handle the hopping deer animation properly.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 4:23 AM
Do you use the FPS limiter?
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 7:23 AM
I use a laptop too. Normally, the CPU runs at around 50 degree. When I play games, it goes up to 86 degree. In order to protect it from overheating, I pause the game every hour (minimize it), wait till the CPU cools down, then I continue the game. In summer, I have a stand fan next to my laptop.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 10:11 AM
I put cold packs with ice in it under my laptop where the processors are, but it doesn't help at all! So I wonder if a cooling pad is going to help the problem.

Eskie227: Is there a graphic card with which I can play the sims 3 perfectly, even with lots of mods and custom content?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 10:15 AM
omegastarr82: No I don't, what is it?
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumei-san
omegastarr82: No I don't, what is it?

Sims 3 has this issue where it wasn't made with v-sync, so what happens is that the frame rate goes way beyond what is necessary (so the computer over-stressed itself) and overheats. The FPS limiter helps reduce it, I have NVidia card and after forcing a max frame rate, it really helps the heating problems! It lags a lot less now too. search up 'sims 3 fps limiter' on google and you'll find some info on how to use it. =)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 10:43 AM
Sorry, there's no perfect graphics card for TS3. In fact, the game is relatively not that graphically demanding, especially compared to things like FPS's. The limitation is poor, or if you prefer, non-optimized coding of the game engine itself. I went from a slow DuoCore, which was a pretty painful experience when running large, several generations old worlds, to a 3.4 Ghz i7, and while it is like night and day, I still get occasional lags/glitches. And, that's with 12 GB of memory (complete overkill, but it was on sale).

Just for perspective, I tend to play families over multiple generations (sometimes getting to or over 10 generations) in large fully populated towns like Jericho or Los Angieos. I run most of Twallan's mods, including story progression, and a ton of tuning mods. I still get occasional lags and brief freezes. My load times are WAY better, getting a big town (200Mb or more save file) up in a few minutes, rather than waiting for dinner to cook while loading on my old ~5 year old DuoCore (with 4 Mb RAM, ATI 5750 video). Still, it's not like I can start up a world in 30 seconds (I really wonder if some folks who claim ridiculously fast load times are being entirely truthful).

Still, it's not like you can't enjoy TS3 on a laptop. You can. Just accept more realistic (lower) graphics settings, and be really vigilant about maintaining airflow or active cooling while playing. If you do decide to change to an "old fashioned" desktop, recognize that a lot of problems may be solved, but not all of them.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 11:02 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. I'm so tired of gaming on my laptop. It suddenly shuts down, blue screen, it won't start anymore, 'display driver stopped responding and has recovered' messages'.... I think I'm going to ruin my computer if I keep on playing this game, but I do want to try some tips you guys provided (FPS limiter, lower graphics)

I think I'm going to buy a pc again. I used to play sims 2 on a pc with 9000 downloads (yes, you read that well) and it NEVER crashed. Either way it's a great solution because my boyfriend is in need of a computer because his is 9 years old and nearly dying haha. This way my laptop won't go to waste. That would be such a shame, because it's a very fast and reliable computer (..apart from gaming).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 11:11 AM
Bu the way, is there an explanation somewhere how to use ssaa tool? I'm a bit confused about all the files...
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 1:49 PM
One last question: which one of these three computers is the best? (some of it is dutch, but the important information is understandable for everyone

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5327 E
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor, Authentieke Windows® 7 Home Premium, NVIDIA® GeForce GT530 videokaart met 1 GB DDR3 videogeheugen, 4 GB DDR3 intern geheugen, 1,5 TB harde schijf, DL DVD-ReWriter, gigabit netwerkkaart, USB 3.0

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5325 E
Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor, Authentieke Windows® 7 Home Premium, AMD Radeon™ HD7670 met 1 GB DDR5 videogeheugen, 6 GB DDR3 intern geheugen, 1,5 TB harde schijf, Dual Layer DVD-ReWriter, gigabit netwerkkaart, USB 3.0

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5324 E
Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor, Authentieke Windows® 7 Home Premium, AMD Radeon™ HD7670 met 1 GB DDR5 videogeheugen, 8 GB DDR3 intern geheugen, 2 TB harde schijf, Dual Layer DVD-ReWriter, gigabit netwerkkaart, USB 3.0
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 4:52 PM
Quote:
Either way it's a great solution because my boyfriend is in need of a computer because his is 9 years old and nearly dying haha. This way my laptop won't go to waste.

Wow, The first time I read that I thought the "his" was he, and was pretty impressed you were concerned with your 9 year old boyfriend needing a new computer.

My bad.

Quote:
One last question: which one of these three computers is the best? (some of it is dutch, but the important information is understandable for everyone

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5327 E
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor, Authentieke Windows® 7 Home Premium, NVIDIA® GeForce GT530 videokaart met 1 GB DDR3 videogeheugen, 4 GB DDR3 intern geheugen, 1,5 TB harde schijf, DL DVD-ReWriter, gigabit netwerkkaart, USB 3.0

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5325 E
Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor, Authentieke Windows® 7 Home Premium, AMD Radeon™ HD7670 met 1 GB DDR5 videogeheugen, 6 GB DDR3 intern geheugen, 1,5 TB harde schijf, Dual Layer DVD-ReWriter, gigabit netwerkkaart, USB 3.0

MEDION® AKOYA® PC P5324 E
Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor, Authentieke Windows® 7 Home Premium, AMD Radeon™ HD7670 met 1 GB DDR5 videogeheugen, 8 GB DDR3 intern geheugen, 2 TB harde schijf, Dual Layer DVD-ReWriter, gigabit netwerkkaart, USB 3.0

THe i5s' are essentially the same. If the price difference for the extra 2 BG RAM (6 to 8) and the slightly larger hard drive is minimal. I'd go that way. I still come from the school of you can't have too much memory or hard drive space.

The i7 is nice. It would not, however, be much faster than the i5, and you would only have 4 GB RAM, which is OK, but more is definitely better, especially with Win 7. Make SURE that version of Win 7 Home is 64 bit , as they still offer a 32 bit version of Win 7 Home Premium. If you're going to the trouble of getting a new system, don't end up with a 32 bit OS at this point. Again, TS3 may be a 32 bit program, but there are many advantages to running it on a 64 bit system.

I'd go with the i5, and I'd get the larger HD and more RAM version if the cost difference is not an issue.

I'm sorry, I can't help you as to brand, as I've never heard of MEDION AKOYA. I imagine it's a country specific brand.

Good luck.
Scholar
#15 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 4:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm
I use a laptop too. Normally, the CPU runs at around 50 degree. When I play games, it goes up to 86 degree. In order to protect it from overheating, I pause the game every hour (minimize it), wait till the CPU cools down, then I continue the game. In summer, I have a stand fan next to my laptop.

Uh...how do you know what the temp is? Does your pc display this?
Mine (laptop) gets warm, too, but never crashes because of it.
Just curious about the temp.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 4:56 PM
Eskie227: Thanks a lot! But what about the graphic cards, is there a better one between them too?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 5:10 PM
@Morphius1: I use a program called HWmonitor
Mad Poster
#18 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 5:40 PM
Honestly, it's a toss up between those 2 cards. Some folks like AMD/ATI, others love NVidia. There have been reports a while ago about ATI not rendering fluffy pets right, but I'm using an ATI card, and my pets look fine. Recognize that neither card is the latest/greatest, but you don't need that for TS3. If you're planning on playing more graphic intensive games (BF, COD, Crysis), then you would need something better/more expensive. For everyday use and TS3, both are more than adequate, and are by far superior to your current laptop graphics system.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 9:37 PM
My final choice has these specs. I hope it's going to work!

Intel® Core™ i5-2320 processor
Windows® 7 Home Premium
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX550Ti
8 GB DDR3 RAM
2 TB hard disc
Mad Poster
#20 Old 10th Jun 2012 at 9:47 PM
Sounds good. Enjoy it! Any problems running TS3 with that are going to come from bad custom content, mods, or EA programming. No hardware in the world can help out with that stuff.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 12:28 PM
Guys, I've had a major breakthrough! I installed new display drivers and I haven't had a crash since! I can play Sims 3 for hours and nothing weird happens. Isn't that odd? Everytime my laptop crashed all the signs of overheating were there.

sigh.

I really don't understand computers.

Section jump