Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 7:59 PM
Default What happens if I break an urn?
I just wondered what would happen if my Sim's enemy came up to the urn and smashed it.
Wouldn't that corrupt the character files just how deleting the tombstone does?

If not, can I clean the urn up and have the ashes thrown away or sell it? There is no way to make it functional after all.
Unless you want a graveyard that features smashed urns :D
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 8:15 PM
The urn is the same as the tombstone. The urn, in fact, IS the tombstone. If you have nounlinkondelete though, I think you will be fine.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 8:24 PM
Considering the fact that an Urn is a tombstone with a different model, smashing an Urn will have the same effects that deleting the regular tombstone has. I personally highly advise that you keep all tombstones outside where they can't be destroyed easily. Yeah sure, it's funny watching an urn get smashed, but not at the expense of messing up your neighborhood.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 8:29 PM
I always keep classic graveyards in the garden or a public park in my neighbourhoods. I was just randomly wondering what MIGHT happen.

Thanks to you both for clearing that up!
Now I'll take even more care of my deceased :3
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 8:41 PM
The annoying thing is that teenagers with low aspirations can break urns autonoumosly. One time when I was playing Veronaville Tybalt smashed the urn of his own mother . If this happens without Pescado´s mod, the only thing to do is probably to either quit without saving or to leave the ashes where it is. The ghost will still appear as long as the ashes isn´t cleaned up if I remember correctly.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 9:56 PM
wait I though a sim smashing an urn was like a sim knocking over a tombstone, all it did was make the ghost angry!?

Frankly my dear I'd rather be playing sims :P
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 9:57 PM
I didn't know about teens breaking urns autonomously! D:
Do they kick tombstones autonomously too?

Preventing the ashes from getting cleaned up is difficult though, a maid can scoop them up whenever you're not looking.

Thanks for telling me about those pesky teenagers D:
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 10:13 PM
If an urn did get smashed I would carefully move it to the garden and put a fence around it to stop the maid or neat sims from sweeping it up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#9 Old 12th Jun 2012 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by julmoo
I didn't know about teens breaking urns autonomously! D:
Do they kick tombstones autonomously too?

I think so, but I havn´t really noticed that since kicking someone´s tombstone would only be a really bad behaviour, but nothing dangerous for the entire ´hood... Tombstones wont be destroyed if you kick on them, but it will result in a boast of the fun motive for the kicking sim.
Inventor
#10 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 12:00 AM
Crikey, our sims are more dangerous than I thought. D:
Field Researcher
#11 Old 13th Jun 2012 at 1:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Saturnfly
Crikey, our sims are more dangerous than I thought. D:

In this case, them dead ones are more dangerous than the living ones.

We all have to look for answers somewhere. Some in big ol' books, others in big ol' bottles of whiskey.

— Kimberly Irion as Bonnie MacFarlane in Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 11:57 AM
In the early days of the game before the graveyards came along I deleted most of my original CAS Sims tombstones with no problem. Of course I did it immediately after they died before they started haunting, but I never had any problems with the game that I noticed. I also deleted the tombstones in the House of the Fallen Tree. When did deleting tombstones start causing problems?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 12:52 PM
Since always from my understanding. Game corruption is tricky: you can do something relatively minor (delete one tombstone) and your 'hood corrupts the moment you play it next; conversely, you can do a ton of major things (deleting sims from the bin, making unplayable sims playable) and your 'hood can appear to be fine for ages.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 14th Jun 2012 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Allimae
In the early days of the game before the graveyards came along I deleted most of my original CAS Sims tombstones with no problem. Of course I did it immediately after they died before they started haunting, but I never had any problems with the game that I noticed. I also deleted the tombstones in the House of the Fallen Tree. When did deleting tombstones start causing problems?

At this point:
Quote: Originally posted by Allimae
In the early days of the game

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#15 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 4:47 PM
Well, I believe when you're in cheat mode (boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true), you can easily SHIFT+click on a smashed urn and select "Debug - Break/Repair" or something like that. Now you can break urns forever!! Muahahahaha

For me, it'd be the best to make a 1x1 room, and put the OFB full wall window around it. Sort of like in the museums, if you get me.

But the simpliest solution is to make traditional graveyards. Actually, imagine yourself at the movies - it's more scary if there's a scene like from the Christmas Carol when you see your name written down on a tombstone, than on a freaking pot.

~DJ.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 5:06 PM
Yeah I always make community graveyards because I hate hosting ghost parties in the backyard and having my Sims die from getting spooked every five minutes by their own mother.

As I said, I was just wondering ^^
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 5:32 PM
Is it true that even if nounlinkondelete is installed, you might still endanger your hood with corruption by deleting tombstones? I read somewhere that it might not fix the problem and that the fix was only/primarily meant for breakage not deletion of tombstones/urns?
Theorist
#18 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 6:13 PM
M.M.A.A.

Quote: Originally posted by kittcat92
wait I though a sim smashing an urn was like a sim knocking over a tombstone, all it did was make the ghost angry!?

I believe as long as the ghost is present, so are his/her character files, right?
Mad Poster
#19 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ.
M.M.A.A.

I believe as long as the ghost is present, so are his/her character files, right?

I think not(?). Because there have several premade ghosts with no character files, like those in Olive Specter's Garden.
Theorist
#20 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 6:21 PM
Oh yeah. Well, sorry about that.

Also, I've just Googled the nounlinkondelete (never heard of that before, actually). Is it true that moving gravestones to community lots can cause unlinkage?

(I've moved graves of my Sims - does unlinkage only reffer to for example moving Victor Goth's grave to a community cementery?)
Mad Poster
#21 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 6:25 PM
Oh yeah. Well, sorry about that.

Also, I've just Googled the nounlinkondelete (never heard of that before, actually). Is it true that moving gravestones to community lots can cause unlinkage?

(I've moved graves of my Sims - does unlinkage only reffer to for example moving Victor Goth's grave to a community cementery?)

No, its the deletion or breakage that caused issues, however, moving tombs using the NL UI method will make the dead sim lose the ghost colour. For example, if a sim dies by fire, the ghost is red, if you use the NL UI method, it will change the colour of the ghost to grey/white, as if the sim died by hunger or old age.
Theorist
#22 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 8:30 PM
What's Nightlife UI method of moving graveyards (sorry for asking for all these questions)? Do you mean the "click on the grave and select move this grave and when it says you to save you save and then you get out in the neighborhood and then you go in the lot you selected and the grave should be next to the pay phone" one?

If so... well, are there any other methods? I've never heard of this one, interesting.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 9:04 PM
What's Nightlife UI method of moving graveyards (sorry for asking for all these questions)? Do you mean the "click on the grave and select move this grave and when it says you to save you save and then you get out in the neighborhood and then you go in the lot you selected and the grave should be next to the pay phone" one?

If so... well, are there any other methods? I've never heard of this one, interesting.

Yes, its that one. The alternative method is to place the tomb into a sim's inventory, take that sim to a graveyard and click on the ground>Place grave here.
Instructor
#24 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 9:06 PM
A smashed urn is still an urn. The ghost will become angry that his/her urn is smashed. I suggest you do not sweep/dispose of the urn, that is the same as deleting a tombstone. You can place a smashed urn in your vault or graveyard and still have that ghost as always.

smashing is not the same as deleting.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 27th Jun 2012 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TortureTheNannies
A smashed urn is still an urn. The ghost will become angry that his/her urn is smashed. I suggest you do not sweep/dispose of the urn,...

Even if nounlinkondelete is installed?
Page 1 of 3