Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#51 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:13 PM
Well, it took 11 min for the game to get to the University Screen. It is now 16 min and I am still waiting to get into the dorm with two of my Simmie teens.

Maybe I am not being patient enough. Maybe the game is creating NPCs as has been suggested. I will give it some moe time (I now have to start another book...I just finished the one I was reading).

Next I will remove all recolors and the root folder. if the game still won't finish loading the dorm.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:15 PM
I wish I got the EP today, but I have to wait until tomarrow. Should I move all my downloads out or totally re-install TS2 before I load it in? I'm just curious.
Test Subject
#53 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:28 PM
Ahh yes, I remember when i first got sims 2, it took an hour just to get into the neighbourhood, but after that it only took about a minute. It's a shame about the downloads, but it looks like I'm gonna have to. *runs off crying*
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:30 PM Last edited by micl2u : 28th Feb 2005 at 11:34 PM.
jinyc...start reading War and Peace.....thanks for the first hand reports. Hope things get better for you or that someone has a reason why it is taking so long.
Test Subject
#55 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:38 PM
Sorry micl2u I forgot the 0 after the 8 (got excited and nervous) the hard drive is 80 GB and right now I have 73.6GB of free space. I was hoping I could put everything on the one drive. Hopefully it will pick up where everything is located and install it there.

"If the apocolypse comes....Beep Me"
Instructor
#56 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jinyc
Yes, it says Nightlife coming Fall 2005.

Iron: OMG, yes I have 355 of my own Simmies in Veronaville!

Okay, I am going to try again. Please light some candles.

Woah. That's a LOT of sims.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:42 PM
lol stupid question, did the teens turn into young adults first?....you said you're waiting to get your teens into the dorms....I dunno maybe you meant young adults lol....do teens age to young adults at home and then go off to college town?....how's this work?....
Test Subject
#58 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:45 PM Last edited by elflady00 : 28th Feb 2005 at 11:48 PM.
I moved all my downloads to a folder on my desktop. Do you think this will be okay?! Or will I have to delete it all...please don't say the latter! And I still have all the original clothes packages in a folder in my documents. (You know, when you have to extract them to the downloads folder) Do I have to move those to the folder on my desktop as well?

No comment.
Test Subject
#59 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:48 PM
your safe. its away from where the active files are, and then you can try adding what you wnat back in and see if you have any issues.
Test Subject
#60 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 11:49 PM
Will they still appear in the game when I play it? If so "PHEW" if not "Uh oh"
Test Subject
#61 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:00 AM
I got the EP today and tried to install it. The problems started right away. It got all done installing but then a message came up saying "This program will now check to make sure installation is up to date." Then it went into this program and a message came up saying "Error during Installation" and then the intallation percentage went backwards from 100% to 0%. I tried to install again and got the same message. I tried several times and finally tried restarting my computer when the message came up to update installation. I thought it worked because when I went to load on the game UNI was there so I went into it and everything seemed to work fine except for the same thing that happend to jinyc; I tried going into Frat brothers house and gave up after about 20 min of waiting. I got out of it and tried taking off all my hacks and objects and then tried again but it still doesn't work. :confused: I'll try again tonight after work.
Test Subject
#62 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:06 AM
What are we going to do? Remove everything? This is going to be....bad....I only have 15 or something like that objects and like 12 hair/clothes, but I can't live without hacks. I tried. I failed. Sims died. It was a disaster. Well, they just peed their pants. I am scanning my computer tonight so I'll know if its the hacks that are causing it.
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:10 AM Last edited by micl2u : 1st Mar 2005 at 12:20 AM.
*80* will work if the game allows it. Good luck
I just got a 200gb hard drive....and threw everything on it. Let the game install and put whatever where ever and then try to figure out, WHY?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#64 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:13 AM
I've remembered just now an issue that came out with the first Maxis patch: the installation failed because some config files were modified by the user. I'm talking in particular about the "Graphic Rules.sgr" located in (gamedir)\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config
Test Subject
#65 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:29 AM
oooohhhhh Numenor! Graphic rules? Camera? how about the files that unlocked the "hidden" floors/walls? I hate going into programming type things without specific step by step directions.

Thinking it might just be easier if I create a new user account. Start a brand new Sims2....run it for a few minutes and then install on that user account. I'm sooo hoping to get the EP tomorrow.

Also remember how long it took to add in each of the EPs on Sims 1....and how long each neighborhood took to load after all that. Because the graphics have improved since then I expect all the NPCs, and objects, etc are a little more time consuming for the computers to update and assimilate. I hope that's all the slow load time is. :omg:
Test Subject
#66 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 12:32 AM
Maybe those of you who live in places that won't get the EP for another week or two are the lucky ones. The rest of us get to find out how to get this thing working with our downloads and you get to reap the benefits of our frustrations.

My EP should arrive tomorrow according to Amazon.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#67 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:21 AM
As always Il Magnifico and Daysies should be listened to religiously.

I moved all the downloads to the desk top. The main game loaded in 5 minutes. University took one additional minute to get to the campus screen. Oddly enough the two teens I was trying to get into the bigger dorm were already in when I clicked on it. It took an additional 4 minutes but I got in. The teens were now adults in appearance (sob).

Okay, young adult males walk like elders. They seem to move in slow motion. Young adults can woo hoo (go find a room big enough for a double bed.. rots a ruck). So far it seems that you can not change the structure of the walls of the dorm. You can paint and add plants and riase or lower the landscape but other options are greyed out. So my teen BFs are sleeping in separate dorm roms for the moment. Happily, if you want, motherlode still works. Aging off does not and right now freshmen oonly have 72 hours till their final exams. I wonder if each year will be 72 hours.

If you go to a community lot time continues (and that sucks).

There is a new clothing group for young adults and the less said the better. Wait till you see what Maxis thinks is *groovy.*

Men have long shoulder length straight haior and a hair style with a long pony tail among others.

There's tons of new gym equipment. There is the pool table and band equipment, two guitars and drums.

The dorm has a cook who prepares meals.

I still haven't figured out how to choose a major but my two Simmies went to class and did thier assignments.

There are new interactions. I will let you know more after I start putting my D/Ls back.

One nice one is a chat group. They sit around on the floor and tak. There is also a mic BHAV that allows your Simmie to Rap in Simlish (you have got to see it).

Okay I will hang for a bit. Any questions?????
Test Subject
#68 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:32 AM Last edited by upinout : 1st Mar 2005 at 1:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Please tell me Merola's multi-use painting works with the EP and that it's available in college town housing....
Lab Assistant
#69 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:36 AM
Ack, jinyc, don't reveal ALL the goodies! I want to find out for myself.
Firestarter
#70 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:36 AM
Let us know if it's still really slow once you put all the downloads back. I hate long wait times And I have tons of downloads.
Test Subject
#71 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:38 AM
Have you tried putting in any dowloads since you got it to work?
Instructor
#72 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:44 AM
There is a new clothing group for young adults and the less said the better. Wait till you see what Maxis thinks is *groovy.*

Oh god. Maxis just has the worst possible fashion sense. I see work ahead for me - converting thousands of adult outfits for young adults.
Test Subject
#73 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:44 AM Last edited by upinout : 1st Mar 2005 at 1:49 AM. Reason: need to learn to proof read before posting....
So far it seems that you can not change the structure of the walls of the dorm.

it says in the prima guide-

To alter an existing dorm;

1. Place any dorm template from the Specialty Lot catalog or enter a placed dorm.

2. Enter the lot, open the cheat window, and type boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false to unlock build and buy mode.

3. Make your desired changes.

4. Save and exit to college town.

Although it doesn't say to in the book, obviously turn the cheat off by changing false to true.

The book also doesn't mention what the cheat is for unlimited floors, a feature I was very much looking forward to...

If you don't have a plan, the plan won't work...
Test Subject
#74 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:48 AM
.... So far it seems that you can not change the structure of the walls of the dorm. You can paint and add plants and riase or lower the landscape but other options are greyed out.....

If you look on snooty sims, one cheat allows you to edit the dorm walls after you even moved in.
Field Researcher
#75 Old 1st Mar 2005 at 1:53 AM Last edited by ilikefishfood : 1st Mar 2005 at 2:02 AM.
Joey did you have any custom (new-mesh) objects........you know, the 3-D completely new modeled objects....in your game? If so, now that you've removed your downloads folder, what happens when you now enter a lot that had them on? Does it load? Do the new 3-D models disappear?
Page 3 of 11