Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 2:10 PM
Default Slot Problem
I previously posted this in the Meshing section and didn't find an answer. I thought if I posted here with a download of the problem file, someone might be able to help.

I made a custom object cloned from a 2-tile coffee table. I added six tiles to the footprint to make it an eight tile object having the two slots from the cloned coffee table. I want the slots to be available from only two of the footprint tiles. I’ve been given the following suggestions:

“The OBJD have a line for slots in them and they relate to slot file 128 or 129. Pretty sure you can set the specific ones to 0 in that line so they don't use the slots, then leave the others as they were. Those added OBJD would then not use the slots.”

“You probably cloned one OBJD to get the additional six. So the slot id for those six is pointing to your slot resource. You should be able to set the lead objd to not point at the slot resource, then just point two of the others to the slot resource.”

I tried using a value of 0 for the slot id for the added tiles and it disables six of the tiles from placing objects in the slots, but it throws an error…”Slot number out of range” for those tiles. What value do I use for the slot id in the OBJD so that particular footprint tiles won’t point at the slot resource?

The file in the download has the slot id for the first six tiles set to 0 and the last two to 128 and 129.

Thanks for any help on this.

Farm Wagon
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 3:54 AM
The object you attached works (I think) as you want. When trying in my game, only two tiles allow entry for the two slots included. Did you want something other than the two tiles by the wagon handles to be the entry point?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 5:42 PM
Quote:
The object you attached works (I think) as you want. When trying in my game, only two tiles allow entry for the two slots included. Did you want something other than the two tiles by the wagon handles to be the entry point?

It works as far as only two slots allowing entry for the two slots included, but if you run the game with testingcheatsenabled, it will throw an error…”Slot number out of range" whenever you click on a tile that has the slot id in the OBJD set to 0. Also, if a sim is instructed to perform any task that involves a slot, like serving a meal, it will throw an error (in this example) when the sim attempts to put the serving platter on any slot in the lot. Evidently, the game searches through all the available slots in this instance and when it gets to my object, it throws an error and the platter disappears.

Also, it seems that if I set the slot id any two tiles other than the last two to the instances of the slots (with the remaining set to 0), all 8 of the tiles will use the two slots as well as throwing an error.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#4 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 6:46 PM
If you don't want the functions of a coffee table, it may be easier to clone a deco object and add slots.

However, I think I figured out a bit of a hack for this one. It throws the error on Function - Surface - TEST BHAV. So import that BHAV into your object, delete all the lines you can, then on the remaining line turn all operands into 0's. Commit. Then in each OBJF change the Gaurdian link to the original BHAV to the one in your package. When I did this it threw no errors. No idea if it's proper, but it worked. =)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 7:46 PM
I did what you suggested, (Importing Function - Surface - TEST BHAV, etc.) but I still got the same error. Evidently I'm doing something wrong. I think I'll just clone it from a deco object and add slots as you suggested.

However, I have another similar problem...I used the same mesh and cloned one of the OFB display shelves. I have the same problem...all eight tiles place objects on each slot (varies depending on the size of the object being placed). In this case, I want the functions of the OFB display shelf. How do I go about fixing that? Should I use this same work-around?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#6 Old 23rd Jul 2012 at 11:47 PM
Can you post that object? The only time I remember each tile having all slots was when the main OBJD didn't have a zero, but had one of the instances from the slot resources.

The slot id in the OBJD has the value of the slot resource (like 128, 129), that tile is the entry point then for each slot listed in the corresponding slot resource. To have each tile of the footprint hold a different slot area, you would need to have multiple slot resources (128, 129, 130, 131, etc), then link to one each for each OBJD. So if you have the OFB shelf that has five slots, but only one slot resource; you'd need to separate those into five slot resources to link each one from an OBJD. I know that you've been told some of this in your other thread, but that is how it is supposed to work. :/

I'm also adding the file I changed that worked in my game, maybe you can try it and see if it works? My game is an AGS with just NL, your object wouldn't place from the catalog in my base AGS.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  RDN_FarmWagon_Mesh.rar (175.7 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Jul 2012 at 11:36 AM
The OFB display shelf I cloned is the "Squat Pedestal by Selfless Salesman" and it has only one slot resource...128, but the shelf can place up to six objects in that one slot depending on the size of the objects. I have the main OBJD set to 0. If I set any of the remaining 8 OBJD's to anything but 128, it throws an error. If I leave them set at 128, every tile will place up to six objects in the one slot. It's basically the same problem I had with the Farm Wagon.

I tried the Farm Wagon file that you changed. It didn't work in my game. I still got the same error "Slot number out of range" when I click on one of the tiles with the slot id set to 0. I tested it in a vanilla game with all expansions plus M&G.