Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 18 (Who?), Viewed: 3324 times.
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 6:18 PM
Default will seasons be the last expansion?
i've heard that they were doing more for the sims 3 than they did for the sims 2, but i'm not sure what the truth is. ep8 was the last one for sims 2, and weather will be the 8th one. can anyone help clear it up for me?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 6:25 PM
I'm sure there will be at least one more, probably two. EA will crank out new content for the game until Sims 4 is ready to go.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 6:25 PM
Seasons is definitely not the last Sims 3 EP. The gurus and producers have dropped more than mere hints that there is plenty still to come. For example, watch this video, starting at time stamp 2:30.
Theorist
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 6:36 PM
nice i hope he didn't mean store content though instead of expansions.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 8:42 PM
I really, really hope not but I strongly think the EP after Seasons will be the last one. I think they will finish releasing EPs before SimCity comes out. But I hate to know Seasons will be the last one.
Instructor
#6 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 9:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotrFanboy
Seasons is definitely not the last Sims 3 EP. The gurus and producers have dropped more than mere hints that there is plenty still to come. For example, watch this video, starting at time stamp 2:30.

All things considered, it's not as though the marketing department for any company would mislead the public, is it? Right. It is what it is. There may be further EP's after Seasons, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. I wouldn't necessarily think that announcing the end of the series would be a good business move right now for EA anyway. As borky as the game tends to be (going by all the people who swear they couldn't play the game without modding it first), they could lose potential investments and sales, since we all know when they (EA) have come to the end of a series, they tend to just completely abandon them. And in the case of Sims 3, in the duration of the series, they have made very little attempt to fix things that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

Yes, I have purchased all the EP's to date, several of the SP's too. I'm just saying that if I were a potential investor, I'd think twice about putting money into EA if they announce the end of the Sims 3 series. And if EA is in financial trouble, I wouldn't count on a sims 4 happening.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Scholar
#7 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 9:10 PM
The last expansion was SHT. Seasons does not exist.

This is why we can never have nice things!
Theorist
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Aug 2012 at 9:14 PM
i dunno how many more expansions for ts3 my computer can honestly handle. a lot of expansions take up a lot of space. i do hope there's one more after seasons at least though.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 10:24 PM
It will be for me. My laptop can't handle any more EP's!
Instructor
#10 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 10:58 PM
We have to evident about one expansion pack after Seasons. The one who found out that there was five games left after Diesel and the game files said something about EP9... Hopefully EP9 is either Vacation or University
Instructor
#11 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 11:42 PM
I don't know why everyone is so anxious for Sims 4. When it comes out, it will just be another base game. After 3 years, EA still does not have the Sims 3 at the same level of development that the Sims 2 was at when they abandoned it. I don't know why anyone would believe that it would be any different for the Sims 4.

Unless, it is a 64 bit application, it probably will not offer anything particularly new or interesting. To take the Sims to the next level, they really need to go to 128 bit system and something that will run on an I9 6000 processor. Which means that everyone will have to buy new and expensive computers (when they come out) to run the thing.

Those of us who play the Sims 3 have a lot of money invested in it, whether we want to admit it or not. In fact, someone who has purchased all of the EPs, SPs and store stuff, easily has over $1000 invested in this game. Plus, a lot of modders have invested a lot of time figuring out the inner workings of the game, and how to improve on it. I wonder after making an investment this large, how many people really want to start all over again, with another base game, and give EA another $1000 for stuff they already have. I wonder how many modders want to start over at square one, toss away everything they have learned about the game and making it work better, just to find out that Sims 4 cannot be modded.

And when it does come out, EA will probably incorporate a whole bunch of stuff we hate. You know, like you will have to go online to play the game. Or you will have to save your games to the cloud because it will not allow you to save to disk. Or you will have to allow a bunch of online interlopers into your game. Or a game which cannot be modded. You know the same garbage they put into SHT and they are going to put into Sim City. You know, the type of game which will bomb, and which EA will abandon after six months. Never underestimate the ability of the suits to thoroughly screw things up. After all, this is the same crowd that brought us Katy Perry Sweet Treats.

There is a lot to be said for EA just continuing to work on the Sims 3 and add to it, rather than starting over again. There were a few things like the open neighborhood and the ability to make recolors easily in game which made the Sims 3 a substantial improvement over Sims 2. In many ways, the Sims 3 is what the Sims 2 should have been. I just don't see EA making any groundbreaking improvements to the Sims 4.
Scholar
#12 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 4:07 AM
High Plains Gamer: Oddly enough, I agree with most of what you said, except for the last sentence.

This link purports to be the trailer for Sims 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBEYSgmnqjI I am not vouching for its authenticity. However, considering an interview with an EA suit (the link was posted in this forum), and his belief that we want the ability to take a picture of a chair with our phone and then upload the object into our game, the concept of this video is highly feasible.

Will we all have to get new computers. Yes, very probably. Do I want it... Yes... and No. While I like to build, I think the Sims experience would be lost. That much reality, to me, would be at odds with the nature of the Sims game.

So, yeah, I think they have set the next plateau, but whether Sims fans will follow is another question.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 4:16 AM
it took them this long to implement seasons, i highly doubt they are ready for sims 4 i'm just saying.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 4:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periandre

That video was proven fake a long time ago. Actually like a year ago or so I think.

Change is only good if it makes things better.
Instructor
#15 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 6:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periandre
This link purports to be the trailer for Sims 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBEYSgmnqjI I am not vouching for its authenticity. However, considering an interview with an EA suit (the link was posted in this forum), and his belief that we want the ability to take a picture of a chair with our phone and then upload the object into our game, the concept of this video is highly feasible.

That video is a fake. To get resolutions anything like that we will need much more powerful computers. I mean we probably need to wait for Intel to develop two more generations of processors.

Here's the catch. Right now, even with a fast computer, Sims 3 can suffer from a lot of stutters and other problems. With a new generation of computers, those stutters will probably be gone and Sims 3 will run smoothly. However, Sims 4 may have those stutters as it puts more demands on the processor.

And being able to take a picture of something and have it automatically converted into a 3d object is not in the cards for a while. Maybe the Sims 6, if the suits have not killed the Sims by then.
Scholar
#16 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 11:01 AM
I always like it when people read for comprehension.

The point of my post was not whether or not the video was real. The point was, that I believe the direction of the Sims 4 has been set. About six years ago, the 3D community was already toying with applications that could convert a photograph into 3D objects. Six years is a long time in software terms. As for how powerful the computer would have to be, that remains to be seen, determined by how much of the heavy lifting can be Cloud processed. Because the odds of the next Sims generation being a standalone application are very, very slim.

Since 3D objects can be generated from photographs now, I imagine the key word in your last sentence was "automatically". Well, we all know the automagic of EA. You take the picture, upload it (and at a cost) EA converts and pushes it back to your game. This is not as far in the future as you think.
Scholar
#17 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 3:56 PM
It would be fantastic if that tech applied to making Sims. Want to play the in the Fringe universe? Just send them a few promo photos and they send you back Sims of the main characters. I would definitely pay for that! Hell, I'd pay 5 bucks a Sim as long as they threw in the cow for free

Personally, I'm not in any hurry for Sims 4. I've already had to go back to "base game only" status twice and it blows. There are so many things to do in Sims 3 that I feel I've barely scratched the surface. Wish I was the type of person who could wait for several expansion packs before buying the game....alas, patience is not my strong suit.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 4:16 PM
I highly doubt Seasons is going to be the final EP for The Sims 3. Even if this is EA Games we're talking about, it doesn't make sense that they would finally create the most in-demand expansion pack for the whole series and just drop it. They will do all they can to keep The Sims 3 going until they absolutely have to move on to the next thing.
Field Researcher
staff: retired moderator
#19 Old 31st Aug 2012 at 4:28 PM
I don't think it'll be the last one, but it'll most likely be the last one I buy, unless something amazing is announced.

PM me with a request!

Section jump