Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 12:22 AM
How much horror cliches can you stand before it starts to annoy you?
I'm so annoyed by two movies that are going to come out (in the US), yet I don't even remember what they're called. One is about some sort of pagan god creature who's image equals the real deal ~sighs~ and another is about how if you believe in the supernatural enough, it will happen. (This is just stuff I understand from the trailers) I'm one of those people who forget things that don't seem important to me easily so since I never wanted to see those movies in the first place, I simply cannot think of what they're called. Oh and there's a one about possession. Not sure if it's the same as "the paranormal is real if you wish hard enough and are insane" movie. Either way, they're all paranormal horror with generic plots. Some tie in with The Grudge, some with the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who. Personally, even though the Weeping Angels are cliche-ish, they're bearable. The Grudge chick (never bothered to remember her name because I'm a horrible human being) is creepy in a laughable kind of way. Those movies are just funny even though they weren't intended to be. I think it's because all her victims can't act worth a poop, and put on the most hilarious performances. Keep in mind this is the American version of the movie. I don't think my country can remake a foreign film without making it a comedy. Just look what we did to ANIME! Literally the worst, inexperienced voice actors in history work to make a mockery of everything anime fans hold dear to them.
So yeah back on subject, horror movies can't get better than The Exorcist, even if they try. I have no idea if I'll ever watch any new horror movies. Naturally, I do love alien parasites, but I've already seen all the Alien movies including Prometheus. There would have to be a new alien parasite themed movie that somehow is unique, or a new zombie movie, preferably one that's actually scary and not annoying. No random blonde chicks to be eaten, I know a lot of blondes who wouldn't deserve that at all. No Black or Mexican chicks or men being eaten either, that's just racist.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 12:34 AM
The token black guy/woman character. Seriously. Just adding one character that's different from the rest of the cast is not diversity, if you're not even going to try to reach out to other audiences, then don't include them!
But that's only when the character is a stereotype, or has stereotypical traits. Yeah, I get it, Martin Lawrence's "Oh Hell Naw" is funny, but not when you do it a dozen times! And...
why is it that most zombie movies/video games nowadays happen to have zombies come from a virus or infection? They couldn't get a little more...you know...creative? Also, gore. Gore is great, gore is awesome...but gore is not scary. Your favorite character being shot to death repeatedly is scary. If it's overused (Saw *cough*) then it becomes pretty boring. This is coming from someone who's watched the "infamous" Elfen Lied. Bloody? Yes. Scary? No. We've seen blood in so many movie, being used to scare us. For me, it's not scary anymore, unless I like the character that's bleeding.

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Test Subject
#3 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 12:52 AM
I've always wondered if shock value could be used to actually be scary? Like given some kind of context, like as a scare tactic or something?

I haven't seen much horror movies these days but the thing I remember hating the most, typically, are jump-scares. I get faint-hearted and nervous quite easily, even when I know they're going to happen. And I when they do I happen I jump like a fool while everyone else in the room/theater is seated still...

I'm very interested in this topic.. And to answer the question: clichés in general annoy me, so as soon as I notice one I'm instantly griped and have the need to stop watching.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 12:49 PM
The minute the evil Christian or preacher comes on, I'm outta there.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#5 Old 30th Aug 2012 at 1:14 PM
I'd take a new movie with it's re-hashed shlock cliches over a badly done remake of a near perfect horror film that didn't need a remake in the first place, any day. (I'm looking at YOU, Rob Zombie and your crap Halloween remake!)
Test Subject
#6 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
I'd take a new movie with it's re-hashed shlock cliches over a badly done remake of a near perfect horror film that didn't need a remake in the first place, any day. (I'm looking at YOU, Rob Zombie and your crap Halloween remake!)

I like Halloween and zombie movies too much....

Even i am waiting for remake...
Field Researcher
#7 Old 1st Sep 2012 at 5:15 AM Last edited by kithri : 1st Sep 2012 at 5:16 AM. Reason: Must...correct...spelling....<in best Kirk voice>
Every genre has its tropes, and horror certainly is no exception. The young couple who park in lovers lane and get slashed because they were doing the nasty when the aliens/zombies/demons/evil gang of hitchhikers/Freddie popped up from behind the bushes...the girl who insists on wearing high heels into the bog and of course twists her ankle when running from the zombies/Texas chainsaws/werewolves and falls, becoming the next tasty snack ...and the list goes on. Stephen King's book Danse Macabre discusses the function and history of these tropes, among other topics. Fascinating read for anyone who loves film or literary horror.

This website has a great rundown of the most common tropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HorrorTropes

Two movies come to mind that tweaked many of these cliches: Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, and Sean of the Dead. Much fun!