Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 15 (Who?), Viewed: 4811 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 12:25 AM
Default Collection Folders - faster way to add objects?
I hope I post this at the correct place and that it is not wrong of me to post my question.

I haven't been playing The Sims 3 for 1 year and now I finally installed the game again. I discovered the new feature: Collection folder! HOORAY! I have missed it since TS2!

I went to one of my old savegames with beautifully CAST:ed interior decor...

However, the method I have found out how to save objects seem to be VERY TEDIOUS!

I do like this:
Click on the object in the room I want to add, click CAST button, save it as custom CAST object (or whatever it is called) Then I look in the mess of the buy objects, trying my best to find the ojbect again there... Hard..... Then finally when I found the object, I click on it, wait for the pop up and then there finally I can find the add object to collection icon....

Are there any way to cut the extra work? (particulary the looking in the buy categories when I already have the same object up in room) I hope that I have been ignorant and missed something obvious!

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 2:19 AM
It's ridiculous that they didn't add collection folders in the first place , with the base game, to sims 3! It's even Worse if you have lots of store sets. When they Finally added collections (was it, pets?) I spent a lot of time creating the folders and adding the store sets. Tedious is right!

I don't think there is any other way to add a custom object , one that you have recolored. However, I think they added some new feature afterwards in a patch or expansion. It added more catagories, or added some folders for you? I'm not sure as I don't even have my game installed now, and never saw this new feature. However people over at sims 3 forum were complaining it didn't work right , and made objects invisible , and weird stuff like that. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I feel your pain!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 2:39 AM
I find making them calming. Sometimes, I don't even play, I just sort stuff.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 2:57 PM
Oh no.. Then it is all about time consuming sorting now... :P
I wish there were a button when you selected the object with eyedropper for example or the CAST (a little slower). No you have to go to the buy to see that darned button.
I wonder if it is possible to do a hack to make this eaiser? Or would be it too hard to do?

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Space Pony
#5 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 5:25 PM
Hey guys can someone explain how you even sort them? I've tried to sort my items in the collection folders, I have alot of custom content and want to sort them out by there genre's but I can't find any tutorials on HOW you do it.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 6:45 PM
Simsdestroyer, I'll try and walk you through it by memory, as I don't even have my game installed.It's pretty easy though. Go into build or buy mode. Somewhere on the lower left is a little collection folder icon. If you click on that it should bring up the collections and you have to Choose from one of a bunch of little picture icons that will be your folder. Once you choose you have to name it. For instance "Gothic Stuff" or "Sci-fi furniture" or whatever.

Also it's "Generations" EP that has it I think, so you have to have either Generations or the patch. Then the game will have some created for you already, which is any EP and SP you have installed. But most unfortunately it doesn't do the store sets for you. Then in later EP's and patches it Did add new "sort filters" . Anyhow once you choose the little icon, and create your new collection folder, you have to go back to buy or build catagory, find the item you want to add to the folder. When you click on the item , somewhere below there should be a little icon to choose "add to collections" , and you will have the choice of folder , for instance "Gothic stuff", "sci-fi" etc. Just add it and it will appear in the folder you created.

If that doesn't help you might try doing a search or google search for a better tutorial.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 7:47 PM
Why oh WHY isn't there a search function? I don't need an extensive set of tags for each object or anything complicated, just a search that reads the titles. So I don't have to spend hours looking for the stupid toilet paper roll in my overwhelming Misc Decor section from that CC bathroom I just downloaded...

I'm sorry that wasn't helpful at all, I'm just lamenting such a missed opportunity.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 9:17 PM
SEARCH! yes I want it!!!

I have discovered that it is a little simpler by looking up the item in buy category if I let the game look it up before I get impatient trying to find it myself. Ok, a little better. But I still have to choose the correct saved CAST of the object, which can be difficult if I have a lot of CASTs that look similar.
I have now made about a dozen of folders.

I haven't even begun playing yet! haha!
Right now I am sorting through compatibility issues. When I installed the game it patched to 1.38, that's why I got this nifty feature. But it also broke a number of things.

Scholar
#9 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 9:19 PM
I think I saw a post recently from one of the SimGurus saying that they had tried a search function and it just wasn't worth the increased load times and delays. So, I'm guessing the wait was staggering... Or, maybe they're just unfamiliar with the wait time for those of us playing with tons of CC...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 5th Sep 2012 at 9:49 PM
They just have to learn how to program better But I guess it is easy for me to say being at very low level in programming.

Eminence Grise
staff: retired moderator
#11 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 1:41 AM
For EA stuff, there's no alternative to the tedious in-game sorting process. But for CC, Grant's CC Magic custom content management utility has a feature that lets you associate a collection with a set (group of related CC that you define). There's the added bonus that Grant provides more collection icons than EA does, and he has very flexible filtering options that make it easy to find the CC you want to group. Link to CCM is in my sig.
Scholar
#12 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 8:16 PM
Also, you might check around the official forums. There are those that create collections for most of the sets available. Mr. Hawk makes quite a few and recategorizes items as well.
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Sep 2012 at 6:58 AM Last edited by Thalassicus : 26th Sep 2012 at 7:26 AM.
It should be like family inventory:
  1. Open collection
  2. Drag items to it

The method they designed is:
  1. Press R
  2. Click object
  3. Click save
  4. Click accept
  5. Press E
  6. Click object
  7. Find object in list
  8. Wait for popup
  9. Find style
  10. Click add to collection
  11. Click collection
  12. Click accept
  13. Press escape

Whoever designed that process had the "technophobe" trait.
Space Pony
#14 Old 26th Sep 2012 at 1:56 PM
Thanks Zorba, another question what if I want to sort my objects cc and expansion and stuff pack things to certain folders? Is it possible to just make one up in game? For example: I want all my gothic decor items in one folder...all my supernatural activity items in one folder (no furniture or decor) just things that the sims can actively use...Is that possible? Every time I try, the new folder I make doesn't let me click on it...It's really frustrating.
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th May 2014 at 6:47 AM
Is anyone willing to share their Collections they've made for the EA Store sets? If you have created a Collection for the store content, then the collection file should be saved in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Collections > User folder. I agree, it is so tedious to add all that crapola but if someone else has already put in the time and is willing to share...Thanks!!!

**Edit: Nevermind... I found the collections someone made... Thanks! EA Store Collections
Field Researcher
#16 Old 16th May 2014 at 3:46 PM
Sometimes I think I'd love to have a program like the Collection Creator for Sims 2, but then I realize that you can't really sort sets and have them stay that way in Sims 3. As soon as you exit the game and go back in all the EA default folders move back to the top and the other ones get randomly moved around as well. So if you have more than a few it's kind of pointless since you spend as much time trying to find the folders as you would looking for the object. Way to go EA!

Section jump