Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 5:28 AM
None of my custom content shows up. *tries not to sob again*
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 6:06 AM
I'm having a problem with the in-game pictures since installing University. They seem to work just fine when I'm taking them, but when I check my Storytelling folder later on, the only one that shows up is the last one I took. I've never had this problem before, so I'm guessing that it has to do with the ep. Anyone else having this problem? :confused: (The only hacks I have installed are the ones on the "works with University" list.)
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sissimoody
Nothing I do shuts off the music for neighbourhood screen, buy mode, create-a-sim, etc. I've got every song disabled in the settings but its still there.

I have this same problem with the neighborhood etc. music-everything is disabled, but I still can't shop or build in peace!

The game was working great at first, but today I noticed more and more problems popping up.

I also have the problem with the mute sims- but more often with the instruments. At first the sound was fine, but now I can't hear the music when the "perform" option is chosen, anymore. I can hear the sounds when they stop playing (bang on the piano, etc.), and haven't had a problem when the "practice" option is chosen. I hate that b/c I love to hear my sims play in their band!

This is for only after the sims have graduated and moved back into the neighborhood:The thumbnails for almost all custom content or recolors are blank or have a weird corrupted pattern. Same for custom clothes. And when I used the "change appearance" option on a sim (using maxis hair and makeup), the thumbnail for that sim became the same blue corrupted pattern that I see in the custom content thumbnails. There was no problem with this in the college portion of the game.

After my sims graduated, I moved them into a new house. I later added 2 more (combined household), and now the family picture for them is blank.

One thing that bugs me (it's not a tech problem, just an added thought) is that the "hang out" option goes away once the sims graduate. I thought that was really cute how the students would lie down on the floor and chat. Maybe that can be modded somehow?

After having said all that, I really enjoy this game. I was almost sad when my sims graduated and returned to Pleasantville as plain ol' sims!
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:06 AM
My game loads just fine until I click on a family to load, it does the loading up part of the family but it does not kick in to the neighood?
Forum Resident
#30 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:23 AM
If anyone is having problems you really owe it to yourself to read the incredibly detailed thread that Daysies has compiled and Loverat referenced for everyone on the main apage of MTS2. Daysies covers a lot of what you all have been going thru as listed here.

Just remember, don't blame Maxis for what you yourselves have done with the game. Custom content can cause all sorts of problems. Trust me, I was the first to post starting Monday about adventures in University installation. It has been a learning process but the game is working better and better as time goes by and that's thanks to the tireless help by Daysies and the help and advice from a lot of the Maxoids that are here attemtping to be our guardian angels.

That said, the final exam issue pops up all too occasionally and I think it is a bug that either our Modders or, hopefully, Maxis will eventually patch.

If your Sims return from their exam make sure you check and see if they have actually advanced to the next term. You know you have a problem if they haven't. I read this somewhere and it works: just click on them, choose college and then send them back to finish what appears to be their finished exam and you shouldn't have the problem.

I don't like when they skip semesters. Their time at UNI is so short. This happens more because (as in RL) they have achieved a certain level in their studies and they are allowed to skip terms. I don't like it and am not sure it was not intended by Maxis.

Another annoying bug is a Sim who does not advance his studies during the course of a term. He can have done all his HW assignments, his term paper and achieved his skills' goal but his achivement level remains in the red. I had this happen to one Sim. I stuck it out with him thinking he was going to be flunked and after all was said and done he finished the term with a GPA of 4.0 and made Dean's List. WTF?????

Whatever problem I have had with the game has been more of my own doing than that of Maxis' subtle changes. If I had a prbolem it could always be traced back to custom content.

No go read Daysies' great thread!
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by drumwench
I'm having a problem with the in-game pictures since installing University. They seem to work just fine when I'm taking them, but when I check my Storytelling folder later on, the only one that shows up is the last one I took. I've never had this problem before, so I'm guessing that it has to do with the ep. Anyone else having this problem? :confused: (The only hacks I have installed are the ones on the "works with University" list.)

I'm having that too??? Weird.

YMW PRODUCTIONS
Great free downloads, and a fun and friendly forum
www.ymwproductions.com
Stop in and say HI.
Check out my little brothers shop
Undead Threads
Forum Resident
#32 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:32 AM
I think I read that pictures have been moved from storytelling to the neighborhood folder but I am not certain.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jinyc
I think I read that pictures have been moved from storytelling to the neighborhood folder but I am not certain.

Screenshots are now in the specific Neighborhood folder. Open My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\ and pick one of the neighborhoods. You will see a Storytelling folder there.

geocities.com/saramkirk
Merge Pleasantview, Strangetown, Veronaville. Keep terrains/deco, houses, relationships!
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 7:45 AM
I read Daisies thread yesterday, didn't realize it had been updated. So I guess my invisible thumbnail issue is resolved (haven't tried it out, yet). Is there a similar solution for the corrupted sims icons? Can those be deleted as well? Thanks Daisies and jinyc for your help. Daisies, your efforts have not gone unnoticed! Your thread was a big help.
Test Subject
#35 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:32 AM
Anyone having trouble when in the college town.......I click on all my dorms and entered, but when I went to the Student Lounge it crashed. I had to make a new one and it works fine. I also tried visting the VAR Household and it crashed. Three girls live (Maxis made ones) there and I don't wont to do anything till I know if anyone else has had this problem in game.

Thanks....Lady
Test Subject
#36 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 10:50 AM
God Damn Crazy Cow!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#37 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 12:37 PM
I spent all day trying to get the game working right for me. Initially when i installed and then added my downloads folder back the game crashed every time i tried to load. It would load without downloads but only open college town and i could not get a single existing neighborhood house to load (even after more than an hour load time).

I went thru every download i had isolating them and eventually found 4 files that the game refused to run with. Interestingly they were the Maxis made halloween lawn decorations. I removed them and was able to play college town but still could not open any existing lot on any of the neighborhoods. I could not even open empty Maxis made houses.

I tried everything in daisies thread and nothing made a difference.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and then added back my back up folder and the game opened without a problem in any house but there is no custom content available anywhere.

I did the thumbnail delete trick and tried again. Still nothing.

I scanned my folder once again with SimPE and this time, after the game was completely removed and reinstalled, a compression check shows every file in my download folder is corrupt.

Unless there is a way to change that i am considering my downloads folder to be a total loss and have begin the delightful task of bandwidth hog as i redownload anything i didnt save a back up .rar or .zip of.

Luckily i tend to keep a folder called "Installed Downloads" that has most of the downloads for at least the last 2 months. Everything i have readded after the game was installed has worked perfectly and shown up in the game.

Ok so i sobbed for a few moments at the thought of loosing all my downloads but i can get over it. The game is a blast to play!

When it is only Maxis stuff the game runs fine. All problems had to be related to custom content.

I have seen the invisible people that i could not interact with but by the time i saw them again they were fine. I perfer to think of it as an out of body experience for the sim.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 12:55 PM
Okay, I deleted the thumbnails, and everything got even quirkier...I started University over b/c I was sick of every thumbnail being that weird blue pattern or blank, so I reinstalled with no hacks and no custom content. I then added in everything that had worked the first time and started the game. I moved 8 sims to college. Some had correct thumbnails, but others still had the blue pattern. Once they made the transition into young adult, all their thumbnails (this is going to be hard to describe) were images of the sky and I could see the edge of a window and a bit of wall! I could tell it was the edge of the dorm they were moving into. It looks like a picture that was taken from a camera, like if you accidentally snap a shot while fiddling around with it. The thought bubbles also show that image, so I have no idea who anyone is thinking about. I took a sim to the mirror to change appearance, thinking maybe it would generate a new thumbnail, but all the hairstyle, makeup etc icons, including the maxis ones, are now blank. The thumbnails I deleted were the ones in My Doc/EaGames/Sims2- are there others that I should have deleted? The game itself is playing smoothly, I just don't have the patience to guess what every object, hairstyle, or Sim is. Just a few hours ago everything was playing perfectly-it all went haywire when I moved the graduated sims back into the neighborhood. I hadn't done anything or added anything to the game. I know I'm rambling, it's just a hard thing to describe and I wish I could provide a picture or something. I just wanna play my game, boo-hoo.
Test Subject
#39 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 12:57 PM
Lady_Wilk it's not just your Tri-Var house. my also crashes. someone else uses the tombstone of lust to move the girls out of the house and then the computer to move them out of that house and bulldozed the orginal house.
Firestarter
#40 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 1:11 PM
What I'm going to say, should really be moved, but I wasn't sure where else to put it.

Why your downloads folder crashes the game and causes problems:

Because many people do not understand that Clean Installer will NOT highlight in red everything you need to take out. You must go through EVERY single file, all down the entire list and look in the right column at what it is. If it is NOT a wall, floor, genetic, clothing, recolor, take it out. If it says it's a game object, career, collection, game override, empty package or anything else odd that doesn't belong in there, remove it. If you do this, and you are absolutely certain that folder is clean, you will not have problems with the install. If you do not do this, it's very likely some of those long hash numbered files in there will give you problems.

You do NOT have to lose all your downloads. Do the SimPE batch conversion. It works. You will only lose about ten percent of the files. The reason they will flash blue is because they were not made properly to begin with. Many of them were made before SimPE was updated and we changed how we did things. Some of the files just aren't named properly by the people making them and it screws them up. Do not be afraid of the batch conversion. It works.
Test Subject
#41 Old 4th Mar 2005 at 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lonesoldier
God Damn Crazy Cow!

LMAO, cow got his @ss kicked by a cheerleader in my game

Dragons Don't Do Cute
Dragons EAT Cute
Test Subject
#42 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 9:14 PM
My installation went super- well, not a problem. I thought it was a bug that my students wouldn't go to college, but that changed after I removed the teen-woohoo hack
My one really big problem however, is that I can't move back home after graduation.
I guess it's a dream come true to stay a student forever, but it's unnerving...
As soon as my graduated Sim calls to move back home or their party is over, they become uncontrollable and the game can't be saved or safely exited...I'm out of ideas on this one...
Test Subject
#43 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 2:44 PM
Looks like University sucks, glad haven't bought it!
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 4:40 PM
Okay, installed my game and everything looks fine first off. But when I go into a certain family, their job icons don't appear and (if teenagers) can't get on to the little job screen bit. All their memory icons don't appear either, only some do. Then I exited and loaded another family and that had the same problem although it didn't when I loaded it before this certain family. I've reinstalled my game three times and more memories appeared after I deleted my downloaded lots but still some are missing and the job icons too. Any ideas, peeps?
Test Subject
#45 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 7:39 PM
First of, thanks to all the Mod - Admins etc for helping us all with the teathing problems that have arisen with the EP. I am an amateur Simmer myself, having not been able to get into Sims 1 I am now hooked on Sims 2. I have followed all Advice and after many painstaiking hours have my game runnig great.. Apart from this - In the handbook you have the option (so it says) on the phone to apply to a soriarty etc... I do not have this, nor can I find it anywhere,, My sim has just made it to Junior, is it something that only comes with Senior?? If so why didn't they state this. and if not can anyone explain where it is????
and to respond to
ninatiels problem about the 'Ghosting no floating' I find they become solid again once they leave the room in which they were in.. If not no harm done eh????

Thanks for all your help

Angel
Test Subject
#46 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 7:43 PM
Should I get the sims university pack??? I don't have a clue what too do i want it but in a way I don't, give me some ideas will you Lydia16125XXX
#47 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 9:25 PM
Default help! please!
Everything was working fine. But now, when I get into my neighborhood (loads fine) and try to play my lot, it doesn't load. It says it's loading, I waited for over half an hour and nothing............. (still loading)
If anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I might die if I can't play!

Thanks!!
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 9:53 PM
Quote:
Everything was working fine. But now, when I get into my neighborhood (loads fine) and try to play my lot, it doesn't load. It says it's loading, I waited for over half an hour and nothing............. (still loading)

I had this same problem - i'd create a sim to play, could play the game fine, close it up. next day i go back to continue with the same sim, and i can't get to her again. So i created some new sims, played, closed up.... went back, and found the same problem.

BUT, now i can't get my game to open at all. I have no downloads in my game right now. I tried to add them after i installed, and had problems.

At the risk of sounded extrememly ignorant... how does one find SimPE to use? I've never used it, don't even know where to find it, and would like to give it a try to fix up any of my downloads - if i can figure out how to.

I love my downloads.

I miss my game - seems i can't even play it without the downloads though.

"For Zen students, a weed is a treasure." ~ Shunryu Suzuki
Test Subject
#49 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lydia16125
Should I get the sims university pack??? I don't have a clue what too do i want it but in a way I don't, give me some ideas will you Lydia16125XXX

Lydia in answer to your question -
Yes you should get it.. ok it's an pain in the backside to begin with.. esp if you have some of the wonderful hack and game mods supplied by the people at MTS2. But after some sorting and deleting (ok mostly deleting lol) most of the hacks have now been updated to be EP ready so you'll be able to download them again... You'll be ok.. It's a good expansion pack even though it wasn't properly thoguht out and some of the extra features are amazing.. I would recommend getting it. I am new to sims having only gotten into it with SIms2 but if people stop moaning about it and take it how it's meant to be it will be a welcome expansion pack to anyones collection..... Get it and have fun
Hope this helps

Angel
Test Subject
#50 Old 11th Mar 2005 at 10:18 PM
My houses won't load even though i've deleted all my hacks and objects
Page 2 of 8