Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 9:14 AM
Default Sims 2 to Sims 3 Mesh Conversion Tutorials???!!
I have been looking everywhere for a tutorial on how to convert sims 2 meshes to sims 3. I have a lot of themed meshes that I would like to move to the Sims 3, since I rarely play the sims 2 anymore but for my themed content. However I have not found a straightforward step by step tutorial to help me. I use Milkshape 3D, a tutorial using that program would be most helpful. Actually any help at this point would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 10:54 AM
If you're talking about clothing, there is no straightforward way to convert a Sims 2 clothing mesh to Sims 3 - it's a very, very difficult thing to do. The best way to do it would be to find an already existing Sims 3 mesh that is as similar as possible to what you're trying to convert, and modify it to look like the Sims 2 outfit.

Converting a TS2 mesh to TS3 entails reshaping the mesh to fit a TS3 sim's body, which is a different shape from TS2 sims, repositioning the mesh's arms to sit at a 45 degree angle rather than a 90 degree angle as TS2 meshes do, removing the feet from the TS2 mesh and reshaping the ankles and necks to fit TS3 sims' feet and heads, and then painstakingly reassigning the bones of the entire mesh to the bones used in TS3, which are completely different from those used for TS2. Then you have to make fat and fit morphs, and pregnancy morphs for women's clothes. If you do want to try it, though, there are a couple of tutorials that might be some help:

Bloomsbase's Converting sims 2 bodymeshes to sims 3/ Bone and armfix http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=407561
Bloomsbase's Creating lod2/3 from lod1 GEOM using Milkshape's direct x Tool http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3408227

CMarNYC's Meshing Toolkit might also help: http://www.modthesims.info/d/481950

If you're wanting to convert objects, though, they are MUCH easier - I've done lots of those and they're pretty straightforward once you know how. They usually only require one bone assignment, so they are a lot less work. There are a few tutorials here (TS2 to TS3 Conversion section): http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...Object_Creation

The same with accessories and hairs - most accessories and any hairs that are shorter than shoulder length also only require one joint assignment. There is a hair tutorial by HystericalParoxysm here that covers converting TS2 hairs to TS3: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...s_3_Hair_Basics

Good luck with whatever you decide to try!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Oct 2012 at 5:40 PM
Thank You so much for all your great links. It does sound like a lengthy task, and quite challenging. But I like a good challenge. I will play around with the tutorials to see if I can make any progress. If I can't get it I will just modify existing sims 3 meshes. Eventually I will get into object and hair conversions, or at least have them adapted for the Sims 3. Right now I am just more focused on getting the body meshes I want. I will tuck away the object and hair conversion links for later

Again Thank you for your help
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 9:12 PM
Actually I am working on some tutorials right now, but I can't get on much because of school. As soon as my tutorials are complete, I will upload them to the site ASAP. But I got a new laptop and I have to install Sims on it, so I'm pretty busy right now. I'll get them to you soon!

"He who sleeps on the floor will not fall off the bed." -Robert Gronock
Test Subject
#5 Old 21st Oct 2012 at 4:39 PM
You can find one by BeatlesGeorgeH here . I will hopefully upload a tutorial on this subject as well, maybe by the end of October.

Outdoor Cats: They're not really yours, they're just stray cats coming into your house for food.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Nov 2012 at 3:24 AM
Thank You. All About Style has some wonderful historical content that I would love to see converted. But I would like to learn how to do it myself as well. In the meantime I am going to email the creator and see if they would be willing to convert them for me.
Test Subject
#7 Old 14th Nov 2012 at 7:56 AM
Kiki, I love that I found this. AAS is the reason I want to learn to convert clothes too.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Dec 2012 at 1:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by raelsimmergal
Kiki, I love that I found this. AAS is the reason I want to learn to convert clothes too.

I emailed the creator hoping that maybe they themselves would convert some of their awesome creations, but unfortunately I never received a reply back. I haven't had a chance to sit down and convert some of AAS clothes. You should write back about any progress you make