Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 2:27 AM Last edited by Celoptra : 4th Nov 2012 at 2:08 AM.
Default some of the ideas that If we could make a sim game we would include (closed)
New post there: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=490376
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 4:10 AM
Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple mods that do some of the things you want: check the sliders section for the butt and leg slider (if you want to change leg height, there's also a mod for that but it's in the forums) and there's a breastfeeding mod on another site. The animation isn't quite right (it recycles the snuggling animation), but it works other than that.

I don't see why sims with "disabilities" would be a huge controversy. The only people I can think of who would object to having them would also be offended by having disabled people in real life and who cares about offending that kind of person? Honestly, I find the use of "D word" to be weirder than wanting sims with a wider variety of abilities. (If you want a slightly better way to refer them, I find that the best thing to do is either refer to them as what they are - for instance, deaf/mute/an Aspie - or if society has stolen the proper word and made it into an insult, then by the way they overcome the problem-enabled: for instance, wheelchair-enabled.)

You're planning on having at least five weeks in Home Ec? How long are you going to keep the sims in one school?

I think there are a lot of good ideas in here. Not really sure what I would do with a Prince NPC, though. Set him on fire if he reminds me too much of one of my non-sims characters?

One of the things I would want in The Sims is an option for intersex sims. I think the best way to achieve that would be to have two sliders - one for male and one for female - so that you could choose how much of each you would want the sim to have at the same time. That would allow you to simulate a wide variety of intersex conditions. And they could choose to be referred to in the gender that they want or in a third gender (like some agendered people do).
There would also be a realistic gender changing feature: it takes a few weeks and the sliders slowly move from one side to the other.

For traits, I think there should be stronger/weaker traits. For instance, if you have two sims with the exact same traits, then they would still act differently because one has a stronger friendly trait than the other.
My thoughts on the Evil trait: the cartoony villain stuff should only be for sims who also have the insane/dramatic traits. The rest will get their own flavors depending on their other traits. Evil charismatic sims will go out of the way to befriend other sims, because who wants to believe that their friend is evil? Evil genius sims will draw up complex plans and come up with wants to do seemingly random things that further their plans. Stuff like that. And if you still want the cartoony stuff, there's a trait for that.
And why do evil sims get offended when they're accused of being evil? They ARE. Unless they want to use that sim for another purpose or there's someone else in the room, they should just give the other sim a double thumbs-up.

I probably shouldn't list all the things I want in a sims game. That would probably take up more bytes than the rest of the forums combined.
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 5:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
And they could choose to be referred to in the gender that they want or in a third gender (like some agendered people do).

Sims don't speak English, they speak Simlish

Most languages in the world don't have gendered pronouns. That's a problem of English and some other European languages. Don't think it's a Simlish issue!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 8:42 AM
I meant in the popups. Plus, Simlish is based on all the languages, so given that gender-specific pronouns are in English, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Hebrew, Irish, Tocharian, Russian, Turkish, Japanese, Hungarian, Estonian, Korean, Swedish, French, Spanish, Italian, and Thai, I think that if Simlish wasn't gibberish then there would be at least some gender specificity in it.
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 9:13 AM Last edited by Srikandi : 31st Oct 2012 at 9:44 AM.
Simlish is based on all the languages, so given that gender-specific pronouns are in English, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Hebrew, Irish, Tocharian, Russian, Turkish, Japanese, Hungarian, Estonian, Korean, Swedish, French, Spanish, Italian, and Thai, I think that if Simlish wasn't gibberish then there would be at least some gender specificity in it.

The majority of those languages (English, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Irish, Russian, Swedish, French, Spanish, Italian, Tocharian) belong to the same language family... Indo-European. While because of its military history this language family has more speakers than any other, in terms of number of languages it represents a small fraction of the world's linguistic diversity. And not all of THOSE languages use gendered pronouns. (I'm astonished you mentioned Tocharian, which doesn't really have third person pronouns -- it uses non-gendered demonstratives instead.)

As for the non-Indo-European languages in that list: for Turkish, Hungarian, Estonian, Japanese, Korean, and Thai, just to mention the ones I'm sure about, while gendered third person pronouns may exist, there are also non-gendered personal pronouns that are more basic (older and/or more frequent). In some cases you CAN use a gendered form, but it's optional. Let me add to the list three more top ten languages in terms of speaker numbers: Hindi/Urdu, Chinese and Indonesian. None of these distinguish gender in third person pronouns (even though Hindi/Urdu IS an Indo-European language).

Not to mention that fact that in the large majority of the world's languages (including many Indo-European languages), third person pronouns are rarely used at all; instead, those referents are simply omitted (the phenomenon called "zero anaphora"). English in particular is a bizarrely pronoun-obsessed language, relative to the global norm

So, the linguistic knots English speakers get tied into in trying to refer to a person without assigning gender are not unique to us, but they're not typical of the world's languages either.

When you consider that Sim society is much less gender-divided than any other culture I've encountered in real life... pretty much the ONLY differences between males and females are cosmetic or related to reproductive pontential... it makes sense to me that Simlish would line up with the rest of the world in favoring gender-neutral pronouns.

Perfectly true that popups are still an issue, sadly

And sorry about the rant, topic I have strong views on
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:23 AM
Points taken. And I don't mind the rant; getting upset about someone's passionate correction of someone who knows little about the subject would be very hypocritical of me.
Instructor
#7 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 1:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
The majority of those languages (English, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Irish, Russian, Swedish, French, Spanish, Italian, Tocharian) belong to the same language family... Indo-European. While because of its military history this language family has more speakers than any other, in terms of number of languages it represents a small fraction of the world's linguistic diversity. And not all of THOSE languages use gendered pronouns. (I'm astonished you mentioned Tocharian, which doesn't really have third person pronouns -- it uses non-gendered demonstratives instead.)

As for the non-Indo-European languages in that list: for Turkish, Hungarian, Estonian, Japanese, Korean, and Thai, just to mention the ones I'm sure about, while gendered third person pronouns may exist, there are also non-gendered personal pronouns that are more basic (older and/or more frequent). In some cases you CAN use a gendered form, but it's optional. Let me add to the list three more top ten languages in terms of speaker numbers: Hindi/Urdu, Chinese and Indonesian. None of these distinguish gender in third person pronouns (even though Hindi/Urdu IS an Indo-European language).

Not to mention that fact that in the large majority of the world's languages (including many Indo-European languages), third person pronouns are rarely used at all; instead, those referents are simply omitted (the phenomenon called "zero anaphora"). English in particular is a bizarrely pronoun-obsessed language, relative to the global norm

So, the linguistic knots English speakers get tied into in trying to refer to a person without assigning gender are not unique to us, but they're not typical of the world's languages either.

When you consider that Sim society is much less gender-divided than any other culture I've encountered in real life... pretty much the ONLY differences between males and females are cosmetic or related to reproductive pontential... it makes sense to me that Simlish would line up with the rest of the world in favoring gender-neutral pronouns.

I am impressed and amazed by your knowledge in this respect. Thank you very much for the lesson. I truly hate being a "stupid American" regarding the rest of the world's cultures. Your "rant" has been informative and enlightening.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 6:39 PM
Could we please get back on the topic?

I don't see why sims with "disabilities" would be a huge controversy. The only people I can think of who would object to having them would also be offended by having disabled people in real life and who cares about offending that kind of person? Honestly, I find the use of "D word" to be weirder than wanting sims with a wider variety of abilities. (If you want a slightly better way to refer them, I find that the best thing to do is either refer to them as what they are - for instance, deaf/mute/an Aspie - or if society has stolen the proper word and made it into an insult, then by the way they overcome the problem-enabled: for instance, wheelchair-enabled.)

I can answer this question for you. There are people in forums who are disabled who don't want disablties in the game. (I assume most of them, if not all of them, got their disabled later in life. Then those like myself who were born with disablties). These are the reasons that have been stated in the past on the official forums:

1)Have to re-do the animation (like cooking, showering) and make all buildings chair-friendly.

2)Disabled people could sue for the stereotypes of disabled people

3)Mean people would torture (like for instance put a wheelchair sim on fire) and kill sims

" Here’s what lisasc360 said “How would you like to see a video on youtube of somebody torturing a sim that is disabled?

I ask that question because people make sims of people they don’t like or are mad at and torture them and sometimes watch them die. Some even make movies and stories about it. So imagine somebody making a sim that is disabled and doing the same thing that they do with their other sims.

Say for example, somebody goes to school with someone that is disabled and they don’t like that person and poke fun at them. That person would come home a make a sim of the disabled person making them look as close to the real person as possible. So then they go about inviting that sim over to their house and put a fence/walls up around them with no way out. Then that person then proceeds to set fire to the room or allow that sim to die of starvation and then make a movie about it and put it on youtube.

Just imagine the uproar people would have when they see a disabled sim being tortured. And yes I know that this is just a game but just imagine what would happen next. They would be reporting the video and would want youtube to pull the video off of their site. Then if that person that the video is about sees it and shows their parents what somebody did, the parents are gonna to want to know who did it so they can sue the parents of that person and then sue EA for putting in disabilities which would allow people to make disabled sims.

Get what I’m saying?

This is just food for thought.

Is this something you are risk having in the game for the possibility to have what I just stated earlier in this post to happen in somebody’s game and for EA to get sued over something like this? “ *end of that quote from someone elsewhere*

4)how could you advertise a Disabled sims?

5)Then people would be clambering for cancer or other serious illnesses.

6) disabltiy isn't *fun*.

7) Those disabled people who "Play the game to escape from reality"

(But in my own opinion..I think Disabled Sims need to be incudled for two reasons:

1)Children who are born disabled need toys that look like themselves or else they don't fell like they are "part of the society"
2)Disabled are like everyone else and should be allowed in a game like the Sims. Not including them to me is discrimating them.)

You're planning on having at least five weeks in Home Ec? How long are you going to keep the sims in one school? (can't answer that yet They will be taking other classes too not JUST home Ec.)

[QUOTE]I think there are a lot of good ideas in here. Not really sure what I would do with a Prince NPC, /QUOTE]

Well one of the LTW is to marry a Prince (or Princess) Charming and you can't play out a fairytale if you don't have a prince now can you? I made it that its optional for you guys to make you're own sim prince or the alternative is to use the NPC prince.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 9:06 PM
The animation shouldn't be too hard, depending on what they do. If they're making sims born without legs, then that would require a lot of animation. The wheelchair-enabled sims would definitely require some new animations. However, that can be said for a lot of the stuff in The Sims - they had to redo animation for Supernatural, does that make it bad?

If EA doesn't want to get sued for their portrayal of disabled people, then they shouldn't put in offensive stereotypes. Having a deaf sim who yells "EH WHAAAAAAAAATT?" every time someone speaks would only amuse a few people and annoy a whole lot more. If the only difference between them and the "normal" sims is the animation involved and a few moodlets/interactions, then I can't see much of a problem.

I think that the game license specifically states that EA is not responsible for what people do with their sims. If it's something that EA put into the game, they can sue. If it's something other people are doing with the game, no suing.

Advertisements: subtly. For instance, you could have one sim talking to another sim who happens to be wearing a hearing aid. In the background of another shot, the sims are doing their version of sign language. Then you could have a dog being fitted with a service outfit and guiding a happy-looking sim (with maybe a couple more shots of them having fun together). Depending on what's in the game, it can be done with some grace.

People already want diseases in the game. NRaas has a mod specifically created to allow you to put diseases in the game.

But if you have sims in wheelchairs, then you can have wheelchair-mounted guns. Those are always fun, right? There could be different advantages/disadvantages to each, just like there are with the different species in Supernatural. For instance, if you have a deaf sim, they will need a hearing aid to actually hear, but they get a boost to reading lips/sign language.

If they want to escape from reality, then there's nothing saying that they have to play those sims. The game shouldn't shove it in their face either; it should just be part of the normal background. That's probably how it would best be portrayed: as something that's not really a big deal unless you choose to make it one.

Quote:
you can't play out a fairytale if you don't have a prince now can you?

Well, given that quite a few faerietales are about a poor boy successfully scamming his way into the royalty by claiming to already be royalty/doing some impossible task...not really. Then you have Red Riding Hood, the Gingerbreadman, Hansel and Gretel. Then there are ones where having a prince *really* doesn't help, like the original Little Mermaid.
So, can we play out that tale? :D
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 9:49 PM

Well, given that quite a few faerietales are about a poor boy successfully scamming his way into the royalty by claiming to already be royalty/doing some impossible task...not really. Then you have Red Riding Hood, the Gingerbreadman, Hansel and Gretel. Then there are ones where having a prince *really* doesn't help, like the original Little Mermaid.

I assume you're talking about Alladdin like stories? Techinally I was thinking about more of the "princess" fairytales you know Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty,La Belle and the Bete (in English Beauty and the Beast) The Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel? You can't have any of those FT without princes (of course unless you decide to Rapunzel similar to Disney's Tangled). But there would be a gingerbread cottage, tower, a red cloak too

To answer you second question. I think you would need to mod the game (if I could make it) to play out the oringal TLM fairytale. I would do it more of a Disney's way (but with some twists of my own)
Instructor
#11 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:00 PM
I haven't read through the whole list (will do in a bit), but you mentioned pre-teen... I commented on that in another post so I'll do it again here I guess.

I really don't see the need to have a pre-teen age phase in The Sims. It represents such a short period in a person's life, and it's not worth all the coding and files and junk just to represent that phase. If you really want to play that age, just make a teen and have them act a certain way I guess.

Additionally, adding pre-teen would make it very difficult for EA/Maxis to market this game with a low ESRP rating. Right now it's marketed at "T" for Teen, so it's only appropriate that they include some limited romantic interactions for teenagers. It's pretty much accepted wisdom that most American teenagers engage in some type of romantic activity in their high school years - some more than others. If you lower that threshold to pre-teen, it makes it very difficult for EA/Maxis to justify keeping the ESRP rating at "T". I'd imagine it's pretty obvious from the implication here that they'd have to raise the rating to at least "M" for mature, or even "A" for Adults only. There's already mods out there that allow Young Adult and Adult romantic interactions with teens, and EA/Maxis' lawyers and devs don't need the headaches that would come with mods that unlock that kind of interaction with pre-teens.

So I guess to sum up. Not necessary. If it were actually included, I'm guessing the audience for The Sims games would be cut in half because of the ESRP rating. And uh... creepy.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GabyBee
I haven't read through the whole list (will do in a bit), but you mentioned pre-teen... I commented on that in another post so I'll do it again here I guess.

I really don't see the need to have a pre-teen age phase in The Sims. It represents such a short period in a person's life, and it's not worth all the coding and files and junk just to represent that phase. If you really want to play that age, just make a teen and have them act a certain way I guess.

Additionally, adding pre-teen would make it very difficult for EA/Maxis to market this game with a low ESRP rating. Right now it's marketed at "T" for Teen, so it's only appropriate that they include some limited romantic interactions for teenagers. It's pretty much accepted wisdom that most American teenagers engage in some type of romantic activity in their high school years - some more than others. If you lower that threshold to pre-teen, it makes it very difficult for EA/Maxis to justify keeping the ESRP rating at "T". I'd imagine it's pretty obvious from the implication here that they'd have to raise the rating to at least "M" for mature, or even "A" for Adults only. There's already mods out there that allow Young Adult and Adult romantic interactions with teens, and EA/Maxis' lawyers and devs don't need the headaches that would come with mods that unlock that kind of interaction with pre-teens.

So I guess to sum up. Not necessary. If it were actually included, I'm guessing the audience for The Sims games would be cut in half because of the ESRP rating. And uh... creepy.

Might I point out some things to you (and sorry if I might come off rude.. communication isn't my strong point)

One we aren't taking about Maxis/EA. This are ideas for a Sim game I would make (if I could)
Two..a pre-teen stage would be good because the "child stage in Sims is like 8 years old and Teen is like 16. WAY do much of a height jump. I mean there are pre-teens who play sims and the kid size is too young and the teen is too old for pre-teens to use as sim-selves. There would be very little romantic interaction (since only girls suppose start to notice boys around age 11). Only "puppy love" Real romantic actions (like what we have in Sims 2&3) wouldn't be able to happen till teen stage. Besides for those Harry Potter freaks (like myself) it would be good to actually make a real pre-teen Golden Trio+friends since the kid is too young for the Hogwarts school and the teen is almost finished the school.

There would not be any Teen pregancy in the game. So my version would be be rated T for teen (North America), 12+ (UK and other countries) and M (in a place like Down Under). Like the actually sim game. Beside it would be a much better compiter-sp? then that Virtual Families.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:18 PM Last edited by hugbug993 : 31st Oct 2012 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Didn't see the posts above and don't want to double-post
Aladdin, Puss n' Boots, The Tinderbox, The Blue Light, and there are literally thousands of variations on those stories. Poor boy rises in station is one of the most popular archetypes in the world, mainly because those tales are aimed at poor boys.

The princess fairytales, aimed at young girls, taught different morals. Be kind and serve others; your reward will come. And it doesn't matter if his mother is an ogre and wants to eat you and your children, she'll kill herself by throwing herself into a tub of vipers. Or your wicked stepsisters will cut off parts of their feet in greed and have their eyes pecked out by birds at your wedding. And even if your prince impregnates you outside of wedlock and goes blind, you can still have a happy ending. And once you're queen, you can force your evil stepmother to dance to her death in red-hot iron shoes.
So...um...faerietales are romantic!

EDIT: It's probably not a good idea to allow preteens to actually do romantic interactions, but they could get crushes on other sims. That wouldn't open the gates for adult/preteen mods but they would still do the "sighing over a crush" thing. I kind of miss the crushes from Sims 2.
Instructor
#14 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Celoptra
Besides for those Harry Potter freaks (like myself) it would be good to actually make a real pre-teen Golden Trio+friends since the kid is too young for the Hogwarts school and the teen is almost finished the school.

Not really going to address the rest of your stuff since I'm getting a lot of this isn't so much what you think would make a good balanced game, and is more about wish fulfillment and self-insertion via The Sims.

So, for the portion I highlighted:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=475562

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:37 PM Last edited by Celoptra : 31st Oct 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Aladdin, Puss n' Boots, The Tinderbox, The Blue Light, and there are literally thousands of variations on those stories. Poor boy rises in station is one of the most popular archetypes in the world, mainly because those tales are aimed at poor boys.

The princess fairytales, aimed at young girls, taught different morals. Be kind and serve others; your reward will come. And it doesn't matter if his mother is an ogre and wants to eat you and your children, she'll kill herself by throwing herself into a tub of vipers. Or your wicked stepsisters will cut off parts of their feet in greed and have their eyes pecked out by birds at your wedding. And even if your prince impregnates you outside of wedlock and goes blind, you can still have a happy ending. And once you're queen, you can force your evil stepmother to dance to her death in red-hot iron shoes.
So...um...faerietales are romantic!

You're thinking of for Cinderella-the Grimm Version, me on the other hand is thinking of Perrault's version (Think FAIRY GODMOTHER is one of the two clues to tell the two Cinderella stories apart ((all other Cinderella-like stories have magical animals))

The GLASS Slippers the 2nd one, since depending on what country you're looking in, it could be anything from a rose-gilded slippers to golden slippers but only Perrault's has glass slippers, it doesn't even need to be shoes for the story to be Cinderella like ((But most of the stories are more based on tiny feet then anything else)), you still can have Rapunzel outside of the out-of-wedlock stuff.

I mean hey didn't the Grimm brother specifically removed that part of the story in their 2nd Edition?.

You still can have those princess tales without needing the graphic stuff included in the oringal story (and for Snow White and Rapunzel the Grimm version is the only known written copy of the story..but like Perrault, the Grimm were collectors. Even though the former (Snow White) was inspired by a real-life person)

Edit according to info I found online about pre-teens this is what I found:
he only romantic stuff I would have plan for pre-teens are puppy love since pre-teen (11 girls only have started to notice boys, and don't do much more then write a note, boys if they liked a girl would tease her aka Gilbert-even though Gilbert is I think older then Anne in Anne of Green Gables, girls and boys still stay together in "girl-only" group and "boy-only" group at events like dances.) Also that HP sim is too old he's almost done Hogwarts and his destiny.

Also what about pre-teens who play Sims? They have stated themselves that child age is TOO Young and Teen is too OLD.

We aren't talking about EA/Maxis here. This is a what kind of a game I WOULD make.
Instructor
#16 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:47 PM
child stage in Sims is like 8 years old and Teen is like 16.

Just for the record, you don't have to play it this way at all. Looks aren't everything when it comes to age. And those fairy tales you mentioned? None of them, in their original form, are anything like the Disney versions. None of them. Beauty and the Beast, in fact, involves her father selling her to placate the devil. Well, in one version, that is.

"Books don't take time away from us ... They give it back. In this age of abstraction, of multitasking, of speed for speed's sake, they reintroduce us to the elegance - and the relief! - of real tick-tock time." - Home Safe, Elizabeth Berg
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ranissa
Just for the record, you don't have to play it this way at all. Looks aren't everything when it comes to age. And those fairy tales you mentioned? None of them, in their original form, are anything like the Disney versions. None of them. Beauty and the Beast, in fact, involves her father selling her to placate the devil. Well, in one version, that is.

With the Exception of Snow White and Rapunzel. All other fairytales have a ton of variations. I can even name an earlier version of what we would call a "La Belle and the Bete" version of the story called Psyche and Eros.

Not all of then have to follow Grimms or Disney's version (you do know that both in Grimm's Snow White and in the Grimm's Hansel and Gretel that the step-mom was oringally the birth mom who was jealous/convinced dad to abonded children in the woods?).

Heck I created my own non-sim fairytale with a combination of elements from fairytale:
using a manhole as the portale
poison fruit (not an apple)
royalty who doesn't know they are royalty (not a girl royalty)
Instructor
#18 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi

You should learn Euskara Its pronouns are too ridiculous to even begin to explain.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 10:59 PM
I prefer the Grimm/grim versions to the Disneyfied ones (although I think that Beauty and the Beast has improved from Disney's influence). The extended Sleeping Beauty was one of my favorite tales when I was younger. The graphic stuff was a large part of the original stories. Even though we've lost some of their meaning and boiled them down to faerietale = romantic, the older versions still have something that the newer versions just don't have. It's a little like reading a metaphor out of context in an ancient language; you know that there's more there than just the words, but you can't get to it because so much has been lost since then.

For instance, did you know that Red Riding Hood was originally a cautionary tale about *having sex outside of marriage*? Seriously. In the original, she crawled into bed with the wolf before she got eaten. And there was no magic reset huntsman, either.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 11:02 PM
I prefer the Grimm/grim versions to the Disneyfied ones (although I think that Beauty and the Beast has improved from Disney's influence). The extended Sleeping Beauty was one of my favorite tales when I was younger. The graphic stuff was a large part of the original stories. Even though we've lost some of their meaning and boiled them down to faerietale = romantic, the older versions still have something that the newer versions just don't have. It's a little like reading a metaphor out of context in an ancient language; you know that there's more there than just the words, but you can't get to it because so much has been lost since then.

For instance, did you know that Red Riding Hood was originally a cautionary tale about *having sex outside of marriage*? Seriously. In the original, she crawled into bed with the wolf before she got eaten. And there was no magic reset huntsman, either.

Yes I do know-someone else mentioned it to me on the other forum. But didn't that one also include her doing a strip dance and eating her granny?

But please remember Grimm Brothers came after Perrault. Perrault came first and he too wrote a version of "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty" and Little Red Riding Hood"--granted his were for the nobility hence why slippers&godmother instead of animals)
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 11:10 PM
Yes I do know-someone else mentioned it to me on the other forum. But didn't that one also include her doing a strip dance and eating her granny?

No. Red Hot Riding Hood involved strip dances and the sexual theme, but not eating the granny.

Quote:
But please remember Grimm Brothers came after Perrault. Perrault came first and he too wrote a version of "Cinderella", "Sleeping Beauty" and Little Red Riding Hood"--granted his were for the nobility hence why slippers&godmother instead of animals)

Perrault also heavily modified his stories in accordance with his Catholic beliefs and to pander to the nobility, which is why they support his beliefs that the nobility is superior to the peasantry and that women must repent their sins before they can be integrated into society. The Grimm Brothers went back to the roots of the stories.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 11:16 PM
Changing subjects..what did people think of the chance cards for sim business owners? I would like to create a couple of examples for the jobs I mentioned in the career area underneath in-game.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 11:22 PM
Changing subjects..what did people think of the chance cards for sim business owners? I would like to create a couple of examples for the jobs I mentioned in the career area underneath in-game.

Could you expand upon the subjects of the chance cards? One example isn't good for forming an opinion on the entire thing.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 11:39 PM
Could you expand upon the subjects of the chance cards? One example isn't good for forming an opinion on the entire thing.

They are chance cards like the one I think all careers got in Sims 2. But the two I have in my example in my OP are for owners of businesses. the idea is similar here expect for owner of the business. I would like some career chance cards for the the career tracks I have in mind:

Poltican career:
Up to level 7 same as with the sims but level 8 would be premier, level 9 would be "Oppiste Leader" and then level ten is "Prime Minster or other leader of the free world"

Journalist (haven't thought much about track for these and others)

Medical (?)

Sciene (?)

the only thing I have thought of a career track for is Hospitality (restaurant/hotel/amusement parks)
bellhop-hotel (teens could be bellhops), server-restaurant and make their way up to manager.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 31st Oct 2012 at 11:50 PM
Okay, so what would be in the chance cards of those careers? Could we get some examples of the dialogue/situations in those cards?
Locked thread | Locked by: Srikandi Reason: By request of OP
Page 1 of 4