Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 85 (Who?), Viewed: 26754 times.
Page 2 of 4
Theorist
#26 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 11:51 AM
The attraction system assigns an initial random value which can be between 0-100, presumably this is similar to a % number, lolz. Then more points can be added by Traits, Career Level, Skill Level (I think this is skill level for all skills, but it may be that this is skills in common between the two sims).

Also more points for matching Occult, points for Celebrity level, points for matching zodiac Sign. The Attractive lifetime reward gives points, and there are some Moodlets that are positive and some which are negative, which will give or take away points. The amount of money in Family Funds also gives points.

That's about it, I think; nothing to worry about. Make the most god-awful crappiest sim in the history of existence and they will still be attractive to more or less everyone, because the game devs have all the bases covered!

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#27 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 7:01 PM
Ah, I see. Thanks Shimrod, it all makes a bit more sense now.
Scholar
#28 Old 7th Nov 2012 at 7:30 PM
To make this work there really only should be one trait considered to determine attraction: hawtness. Hawtness should be a trait we can set in a radial menu.
Theorist
#29 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 1:33 AM
Yeah, but something so elegantly simple they would be bound to mess up on, so then we would have problems forever with the hawtnesssuck.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
transmogrified
staff: retired moderator
#30 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 2:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigersimmer
To make this work there really only should be one trait considered to determine attraction: hawtness. Hawtness should be a trait we can set in a radial menu.

On a serious note, no, please. Attraction shouldn't rest on a single value in the Sim's profile. I wouldn't want a Sim who was generically attractive to everyone because he had a hawtness setting of superHAWT. I want chemistry between Sims based on their whole identity.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 4:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangaroo
Attraction shouldn't rest on a single value in the Sim's profile. I wouldn't want a Sim who was generically attractive to everyone because he had a hawtness setting of superHAWT. I want chemistry between Sims based on their whole identity.

Moreover, sometimes two people are attracted to each other because of traits which seem incompatible, but are actually complementary. (As in "opposites attract.")

But I'm sure that would be too complex for EA to handle...
Inventor
#32 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 7:35 AM
When I first time heard about the attraction system I thought it could have been something like in sims 2 where you could choose 3 things your sim was attracted to and 3 things your sim disliked such as, likes black hair/good cook/Charisma - Dislikes /werewolves/blond hair/muscles.
It would have been nice and interesting if it had been like that and maybe a bit evolved version since it would be for sims 3, but instead it ended up weird and annoying.

I thought the same with memories back when Generation wasn't out yet. It could have been something similar like in sims 2 where you got icons into a memory list when something special happened such as your sim gave birth to a boy or your sim got a first kiss etc. But instead it turned out weird and annoying
Forum Resident
#33 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 8:32 AM
I do like that inactive sims take some initiative with the phone calls and what not, but I would have preferred that the requirements were much more stringent for these things to happen. I don't think a point system works well, I'd have liked a gated system that checked off a bunch of things and only fired the attraction scenario if everything returned true:

- Zodiac signs compatible (that's the point of them after all)
- If target sim is Attractive or Eye Candy, automatically pass the attraction test, regardless of other results.
- Relationship is Friend or better. This is mostly so attractions only occur between sims who are developing their relationship in some way and not every person they happen to encounter. Some traits modify this check (tested sims who are Flirty return a successful check regardless of relationship level, while Unflirty and Shy sims have to be at Best Friends to return successfully).
- Things like career, celebrity, occult and wealth only get checked if the tested sim has traits that would make those things important to them (Workaholics need a high career level, snobs and possibly divas need high celebrity and/or wealth, Supernatural Skeptics will fail the check if the target sim is an occult, etc).
- Tunable chance, about 10%, that the attraction test runs on sims who meet each other (in person) for the first time, to reflect the 'love at first sight' possibility (the above relationship check is skipped in this case).
- Tunable chance that the test will still fail even when everything else tests successfully. Would default to 0% but players can tune it up if circumstances are such that their sims are still meeting all requirements and having tons of attractions.

As it stands, my sims don't answer the phone any more.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonparkninja
As it stands, my sims don't answer the phone any more.

So I'm not the only one who ignores the phone calls? (even if I started with that quite some time back)

So far I haven't really noticed the Attraction system... but most of my sims just stays home all the time and work on their skills. so maybe it's because they don't really get close enough to other sims to be noticed.

腐女子 です~
Field Researcher
#35 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 11:28 AM
Bit of a glitch in my game, my sim was attracted to a toddler. Needless to say, I used the mod to turn the system off.

19 - Female - Australia
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 12:34 PM
I kinda like the new system, but I do hope someone is busy tweaking it atm *looks with puppy eyes at Twallan while thinking of a tweaked Woohooer*.

As it is now, my flirty, eye candy, attractive single sim is getting date invite upon date invite, some keep insisting after she says no, but she's an easy girl (kinda slutty) so she loves the attention. But when some dude out of nowhere invites her on a date and she accepts he goes all "ewww, I am in a relationship" when she flirts with him on that date! I mean come on, bait and switch much?
Instructor
#37 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 12:57 PM
I personally haven't tried the attraction system yet because i usually play with happily married couples but does the attraction system apply on teen sims? If so then i might see what's so bad about it :P

Fear is only in our minds ♡ Taking over all the time..❤
Field Researcher
#38 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 1:06 PM
The whole attraction system could've been so fantastic, if only they'd done it right. I can think of many ways they could've done it that I'd be thrilled about.

19 - Female - Australia
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 1:08 PM
They really should have put in some scale that determines the frequency of date calls. For example, if you have a bad date with the person or turn them down, the percentage that they'll ring again goes down, if you're romantically linked to someone the likelihood of the calls goes down, more if you're going steady, more if you're married, etc.
It makes no sense to have my sims overwhelmed with phone calls all evening from the same people wanting to go on a date, especially when my sims are good friends with them so they MUST know that they're happily married! Perhaps you could be more likely to get calls as well if you have a bad reputation or romantic traits or something.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 1:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purexevil666
I personally haven't tried the attraction system yet because i usually play with happily married couples but does the attraction system apply on teen sims? If so then i might see what's so bad about it :P

That's the thing though, it's so forward and out there that it's not something you have to "try". It's basically shoved down our throats whether we want it or not, so it's pretty strange that you haven't experienced it. Some players do seem to get it worse than others though. Thank god for Shimrod!

19 - Female - Australia
Theorist
#41 Old 8th Nov 2012 at 8:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphiron
They really should have put in some scale that determines the frequency of date calls. For example, if you have a bad date with the person or turn them down, the percentage that they'll ring again goes down

According to the XML on it, if you turn down the same sim 3 times they will stop calling.

Mad Poster
#42 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 10:43 AM
My sincere thanks to all of you who updated and discovered this little new "feature". Having just returned to the 21st century after sitting in a cold, dark home, with no food or gas (well, I had filled the tank, but am still afraid to drive around as refilling is still kinda tough), I would have shit a brick if I updated and discovered this "feature" myself. And thank you to Shimrod for leading the way to "control" this brilliant idea, which sounds like it's up there with the memory system.

I can't believe that just for the sake of my sim being able to take a dip at the beach, I would have to put up with a demented version of "The Dating Game". EA giveth, then sucks the fun right out of it.
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimrod101
According to the XML on it, if you turn down the same sim 3 times they will stop calling.

Based on what you saw there, do you know if it'd be possible to make a tuning mod that makes sims stop calling after being turned down once and gets rid of the "we should get to know each other better" messages about interested sims? That'd make the whole thing much less frustrating to deal with if it's possible and somebody were to make it. I don't object to the attraction system existing, but the repeated requests and pop-up notifications in the top right-hand corner of the screen evidently make it far more of a pain than it needs to be.

(In the case of the messages, I hear there's already an audio cue and thought bubbles with hearts in them to signify attraction. Notification messages about it are therefore completely redundant unless I'm wrong there)
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 12:16 PM
I don't mind the little pops up to say that sims might be a match, (really helped when i was running all over town trying to find a husband for my sim before she got too old for babies!) but the date calls are.. insulting, on some levels!

i was playing a family where they started off as your average couple. he was working as a campaign intern, she was a daycare provider. and then (in my mind!) as he started to move up the political ladder, he began to insist that she change to be more of a trophy wife. he made her quit her job to stay home with their toddler, Perry, and when she began to resent him for trying to change her, he had an affair with his secretary, divorced my sim (Kaylee) and left her while she pregnant with twin girls, he then married the secretary and they had a daughter.
Kaylee started up daycare work again, and her ex-husband signs up for childcare for his daughter. So now the ex-husband is at "aquaintance" level, no hate, but no love either, and he's still married to the secretary. 15 years later (judging by the fact her 3 kids are all in their late teens!) he rings her up for a date! how desperate does he think she is?!! lol

If they introduce the trait attraction like in sims 2, it would balance it out nicely. also if they made it so that only flirty or commitment issue sims can be asked on a date when their in a relationship.

<- My Simself, Kelly Ovenden. Life Stage: YA Traits: Computer Whiz, Bookworm, Couch Potato, Grumpy, Nurturing
http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/Lady_Kombucha/mystudio
Instructor
#45 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 1:06 PM
The only thing I just don't get is, why does the attraction system still affect married/coupled Sims? I mean, yeah, I guess it's realistic that your Sims can still be attracted to other Sims (you don't become blind as soon as you get married or date someone) but shouldn't there be more of a resistance/deterrent, or some sort of challenge to get already coupled Sims (unless they have specific traits, such as commitment issues, flirtatiousness, etc.?)

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 1:12 PM
Some things are just so funny. I had been playing Lucky Palms for a few sim-days when my sim got the first date call I have ever seen. I let my sim accept, and she rushes all across town... The date venue turns out to be an empty lot in the desert. Just my sim and one other sim that she hardly knows, out in the middle of nowhere. Don't learn first date safety from this game, kids!
Theorist
#47 Old 9th Nov 2012 at 2:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinghamSmith
Based on what you saw there, do you know if it'd be possible to make a tuning mod that makes sims stop calling after being turned down once and gets rid of the "we should get to know each other better" messages about interested sims?

It's possible to place that number at 1, yes. I simply turned off the phone calls and the attraction gifts in the mailbox completely, since half the gifts received are borked; they don't work and are stuck in the sim's inventory.

I haven't seen anything about the notifications as a separate tuning, but maybe it would be in a different XML, the one called Notifications or somewhere else. I turned off the Attraction system completely and the notifications disappeared by themselves, so I haven't concerned myself with them afterwards.

Scholar
#48 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 1:54 PM
Well it just so happens that I received a popup saying "blahblah I find you attractive". When I clicked on the thumbnail, the camera flew wayyy back to the other side of the town and showed me a 3-days-left grandma.

The Sim she likes is a just created young adult who, at that moment, was at the other part of town.

A little bit off topic, but I also ALWAYS receive stories Sims gossip with the magic mirror from SN. The witch's cavern is, again, in the other part of the town.

"Even the best week starts with a Monday." -Peter Alexis Shukoff (aka Nice Peter)
Instructor
#49 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 2:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ.
Well it just so happens that I received a popup saying "blahblah I find you attractive". When I clicked on the thumbnail, the camera flew wayyy back to the other side of the town and showed me a 3-days-left grandma.

The Sim she likes is a just created young adult who, at that moment, was at the other part of town.

A little bit off topic, but I also ALWAYS receive stories Sims gossip with the magic mirror from SN. The witch's cavern is, again, in the other part of the town.

Is that where those gossip popups come from? I'd wondered why they just randomly popped-up out of nowhere when none of my sims even have a magic mirror.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Pattern Pusher
staff: retired moderator
#50 Old 10th Nov 2012 at 7:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ.

So, you are under the impression that elderly ladies aren't attracted to young adults?

You mentioned that just as I was about to visit the nice cafe by the beach volleyball courts Does that mean I have to reconsider?

Although I admit that even I don't use a high-powered telescope to find hot bodies on the other side of town!

... I have to say, btw, that I haven't really had this problem since the patch :O But then I'm playing a werewolf couple in the Twinbrook swamp who kinda keep to themselves. Still, they do know folks... have some friends (most of whom are now also werewolves ). Have only had one party, and I did get one attraction popup at it, but that was the only time.
Page 2 of 4

Section jump